Coaches award R3

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Coaches award R3

Coaches' votes | Round 3
9 - Andrew McGrath (ESS)
5 - Zach Merrett (ESS)
4 - Nick Martin (ESS)
4 - Seb Ross (STK)
3 - Jack Steele (STK)
2 - Dyson Heppell (ESS)
2 - Bradley Hill (STK)
1 - Xavier Duursma (ESS)

Geez Andrew McGrath. Was he that good. I didn't notice him at all and Duursma! What did he do??
I didn't think Hill played well at all.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Re: Coaches award R3

Hill was one of our very best players. Worked his butt off all day. Kept running and racked up a fair few possessions in the last quarter.

Brad Scott (?)

Merrett 5
McGrath 4
Martin 3
Heppell 2
Duursma 1

Ross Lyon (?)

McGrath 5
Ross 4
Steele 3
Hill 2
Martin 1

How do other people reckon the coaches voted

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Hill turned it over. His passing to teammates is not great. Very iffy.

I don't think McGrath is very good.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Wed 03 Apr 2024 3:35pm Hill was one of our very best players. Worked his butt off all day. Kept running and racked up a fair few possessions in the last quarter.

Brad Scott (?)

Merrett 5
McGrath 4
Martin 3
Heppell 2
Duursma 1

Ross Lyon (?)

McGrath 5
Ross 4
Steele 3
Hill 2
Martin 1

How do other people reckon the coaches voted
It's effing obvious that the Kray brother only gave votes to his druggie players
Last edited by saynta on Wed 03 Apr 2024 5:11pm, edited 1 time in total.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Apparently the Krays were incestuous!

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote: Wed 03 Apr 2024 3:44pm Hill turned it over. His passing to teammates is not great. Very iffy.

You're funny

Hill had 25 touches and 7 of those were contested (that means if there's a loose ground ball and he was first to the footy he gets that counted as contested - it means you usually have heat and an opponent on your tail).

Hill's disposal effeciency for the day was 84%.
That's amongst the best for the team.

NWM had 80 %DE, Cal Wilkie also around 80% DE

Sinclair had 77% DE....let's not forget Bonner - 66%.

As for your comment on McGrath. Maybe watch the match a bit more closely than a cheer squad nuffie...and maybe check the stats before you post

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Wed 03 Apr 2024 4:25pm
magnifisaint wrote: Wed 03 Apr 2024 3:44pm Hill turned it over. His passing to teammates is not great. Very iffy.

You're funny

Hill had 25 touches and 7 of those were contested (that means if there's a loose ground ball and he was first to the footy he gets that counted as contested - it means you usually have heat and an opponent on your tail).

As for your comment on McGrath. Maybe watch the match a bit more closely than a cheer squad nuffie...and maybe check the stats before you post
I did but he doesn't impress me.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Hmmmmmmmm...

Seems that maybe you got it wrong because he definitely impressed both coaches.

takeaway
Club Player

You're funny

Why would you want to check the stats before posting? Stats are of very limited value, often misleading. For instance you quote %DE, but the best player, as voted by by the coaches, (or one of their assistants who actually submit the votes), was McGrath, whose %DE was 63%!

Most supporters would be able to assess best players, simply by watching the match, however if you are not confident and need to check the stats in detail, go for it I guess.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

takeaway wrote: Wed 03 Apr 2024 6:31pm

You're funny

Why would you want to check the stats before posting? Stats are of very limited value, often misleading. For instance you quote %DE, but the best player, as voted by by the coaches, (or one of their assistants who actually submit the votes), was McGrath, whose %DE was 63%!

Most supporters would be able to assess best players, simply by watching the match, however if you are not confident and need to check the stats in detail, go for it I guess.
Read the post criticising Hill's passing

Context
Last edited by Scollop on Wed 03 Apr 2024 6:45pm, edited 3 times in total.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

I’m still trying to figure out how Bonner is 66%

He had 32
17 were Turnovers

My math suggests his DE should be under 50%

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

An effective long kick is one that is 40 metres or longer and is to a 50/50 contest or to your team mate.

An effective short kick needs to be your team mates advantage I believe

Therefore you can have an effective disposal if it's over 40 metres to a contest and ...it can result in a turnover

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Wed 03 Apr 2024 6:35pm I’m still trying to figure out how Bonner is 66%

He had 32
17 were Turnovers

My math suggests his DE should be under 50%
Effective disposals are made up of effective long kicks, effective short kicks and effective handballs. An effective long kick is one that is 40 metres to a 50/50 or better for the team. An effective short kick is one that results in a teammate's possession who was the intended target of the kicker. A handball to a teammate that hits the intended target to the team's advantage is recorded as an effective handball.

So - 40+ metres to a spot where two people CAN contest - even if it goes to the opposition (turnover) is considered an effective long kick.

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
takeaway
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Wed 03 Apr 2024 6:34pm
takeaway wrote: Wed 03 Apr 2024 6:31pm

You're funny

Read the post criticising Hill's passing

Context
What's NVM, Wilkie, Sinclair etc got to do with it then? Stats enough. Enough stats.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

takeaway wrote: Wed 03 Apr 2024 7:01pm
What's NVM, Wilkie, Sinclair etc got to do with it then?
I didn't see your votes in the voting thread.

Why did you enter the convo? No really...why...are you interested in voting opinions?

Did you want to discuss your opinions on who played well, who deserves votes and whose disposal efficiency needs work?....Or....

Are you just trying to get a bite?

And...btw..I don't need to look at stats to give my best on ground votes. I like to add some stats sometimes in the voting thread... what's wrong with that? Have you ever heard any coaches saying they don't look at stats?

takeaway
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Wed 03 Apr 2024 7:13pm
takeaway wrote: Wed 03 Apr 2024 7:01pm
What's NVM, Wilkie, Sinclair etc got to do with it then?

Why did you enter the convo? No really...why...are you interested in voting opinions?

Did you want to discuss your opinions on who played well, who deserves votes and whose disposal efficiency needs work?....Or....

And...btw..I don't need to look at stats to give my best on ground votes. I like to add some stats sometimes in the voting thread... what's wrong with that? Have you ever heard any coaches saying they don't look at stats?
That's good news - you think you don't need to look at and quote innumerable "stats" when considering best players. Give it a go. Just watch the game.
Coaches and stats? Can you imagine RTB poring through masses of stats each week? Coaches have interest in team stats, and are advised accordingly by coaching staff, but in regard to player stats, not so much interest, more so trends, ie if Bonner has a dozen or so of those so called "turnovers" in the next match or 2, that would be looked at. Although I think the main concern re Bonner is his defensive skills.

The only stats that give a totally definitive result is the scoreboard.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

takeaway wrote: Thu 04 Apr 2024 8:14am

you think you don't need to look at and quote innumerable "stats" when considering best players. Give it a go. Just watch the game.
Thanks for the advice ...but...I have some for you too

Stick your advice up a part of your anatomy where the sun don't ...i.e. worry about yourself instead of giving 2 fks about what I do

If you want to join a convo next time you might need to provide an opinion on who you think deserved votes...or who you think didn't deserve votes :mrgreen:

takeaway
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Thu 04 Apr 2024 12:51pm
takeaway wrote: Thu 04 Apr 2024 8:14am

you think you don't need to look at and quote innumerable "stats" when considering best players. Give it a go. Just watch the game.
Thanks for the advice ...but...I have some for you too

Stick your advice up a part of your anatomy where the sun don't ...i.e. worry about yourself instead of giving 2 fks about what I do

If you want to join a convo next time you might need to provide an opinion on who you think deserved votes...or who you think didn't deserve votes :mrgreen:
Public forum isn't it? Posters can "join a convo" anytime and for any reason they want, no? Thought my comments were quite relevant. Tell you what, in the future, if I agree with all you have posted, I won't join your "convo", but give you a nice thank you.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

👍

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

I'd like to see coaches votes for the three players that absolutely stunk it up. Euphemistically the ones that needed a hug and assurance they were not the reason for the loss.