Match Thread vs Richmond

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

repta
Club Player

Re: Match Thread vs Richmond

The_Dud wrote: Sun 07 Apr 2024 6:55pm One good quarter of footy today.

Played 2 very ordinary teams these last 2 weeks and scraped thru with 1 win. I feel next week against a very good team is going to be a reality check…
No. I have faith. We can pull any team down to our level.

BadRossco
Club Player

Bank the four points but learn from it and make some changes. Keeler or Heath for Caminiti, Windy for Jones, Garcia for Byrnes and Collard for Butler. Hastie needs game time probably at Sandy giving Jones a reprieve as the sub where he may have some impact later in a game. Not a lot of other options until Dow, Howard, Henry, Wood, Hayes, Crouch and Webster are available then we should be a handy team.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote: Sun 07 Apr 2024 10:14pm
Scollop wrote: Sun 07 Apr 2024 9:53pm
Devilhead wrote: Sun 07 Apr 2024 5:52pm STOP KICKING IT TO FKN NANKERVIS YOU DUMB CNTS
The game plan demands we bomb it long to the hotspot.
King, Sharman, Membrey and Caminiti - we should have 4 hot spots to choose from.
We should have had 4 different hotspots certainly, but it seems nearly every long kick inside 50 was going to the same spot.

We had 9 inside 50's in the first five minutes of the 3rd quarter before we kicked a major..and that goal wasn't from a set shot. It was crumb that Membrey kicked on his left (not something you'd normally bank on).

Our strategy seems to be based on bombing it in and hoping for the best. Incidental goals or someone like King or Caminiti taking a pack mark.

Every time they were doing it, I thought they'd learnt their lesson...but no!! They just kept bombing it in long to the congested hotspot 20-30m in front of goal.

Straight after our first goal by Membrey in the 3rd quarter, we got the centre clearance with Steele getting a handball out to Seb who was on the run.

What does Sebby do? Bombs it long, to the hotspot!!
Last edited by Scollop on Sun 07 Apr 2024 11:31pm, edited 1 time in total.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

The times that Sincs or Hilly were trying to hit a target up forward they missed.

Do they get gun shy after that?

It seems our forwards don't lead early enough or high enough up the ground. Don't they know how to lead?

Are they told not to lead? Have they forgotten how to lead?

After Butler was paid a free deep in our forward pocket for a dangerous tackle from Vlastuin and Wilson played on and kicked a goal, we had about 4 more inside 50s within the next 3-4 minutes.

Again...it was a long bomb from Batts ( marked by Nank) a long bomb from Stockerb( again marked by Nank) and one from Sincs that should have been marked by Max, but it slipped through his hands and he dropped it.

Then a minute later, we got a centre clearance and guess what Zak Jones does...yep...bomb it to the hotspot.

It was all incidental and unplanned goals. And somehow we got our noses in front on the scoreboard. It was tight right up until the end.

Richmond had 18 inside 50's in the last quarter to the Saints only 9. Thanks to the vice captain and captain for saving our arses today. Ohhh..and Darcy Wilson :)

Seriously? Is this the way we want to play? Is this the game plan and method for winning finals?

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

shrodes wrote: Sun 07 Apr 2024 7:39pm
nostalgicsaint wrote: Sun 07 Apr 2024 7:25pm
The Fireman wrote: Sun 07 Apr 2024 7:23pm
bobmurray wrote: Sun 07 Apr 2024 7:21pm Next time i'm at training i'd like to ask the S&C guys to organise a 100 meter dash between Owens and Cordy, i think it would be a draw.
Yep…….slow
Very obvious today.

Wasn't last year.

Probably adjusting to the bulk he has added/sore.
I got this impression too, maybe added a bit too much bulk and not getting around the ground as well. Steele has had the same problem at points in the past also
When players are interstate during these away games their eating habits are different to home.

I reckon Michito and Brad Hill helped themselves to a tad too much of the all you can eat buffet. The vertical stripes are supposed to make you look thinner, but Hilly looked like he'd had an extra helping or three of dessert.

Looked like Max King did too. He just seems so exhausted after every exertion. Even when it was early in the second quarter.

hamborger

BadRossco wrote: Sun 07 Apr 2024 10:15pm Bank the four points but learn from it and make some changes. Keeler or Heath for Caminiti, Windy for Jones, Garcia for Byrnes and Collard for Butler. Hastie needs game time probably at Sandy giving Jones a reprieve as the sub where he may have some impact later in a game. Not a lot of other options until Dow, Howard, Henry, Wood, Hayes, Crouch and Webster are available then we should be a handy team.
These are lineup changes we'd be looking at probably in a years' time, but a lot of these guys just aren't ready. Keeler/Heath both still need time in the VFL to develop as backup rucks. Keeler is probably the more likely, they're playing him in defense to work his defensive craft, hoping he's like a Paddy Ryder-esque player who can go up forward. Until then Hammer is alright, won't be a ruck forward but definitely apart of the plan.

Windhager obviously comes back in the side and Jones gets sent back to Sandy once Clark/Dow/Crouch are back in the mix.

Wouldn't be so sure about Garcia for Byrnes. Byrnes is more fitted to the outside run, and even though a lot of people seem to punch down on him, I reckon he's yet to play his best footy. He's only just cracked 50 games, give him time. Garcia will be good but again, he's just a kid, and probably more of an inside mid.

Collard for Butler won't be happening anytime soon. We need Butler's tackling pressure up the ground, he just needs a little bit of time to get back on his feet. At his best Butler is so damaging. Collard is going to be a gun small forward, but again, needs more time in the oven. Just doesn't have the physicality to come into such an important role yet, as we saw down at Geelong in Round 1.

But I definitely see what you mean with these, just need a bit more time. I'm just looking forward to getting all the injured/suspended guys back, and leaving games where we may have underperformed knowing that we're only going to get better once the list is fuller.

asiu
Saintsational Legend

that was a good read
ta

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
Killa
Club Player

A win is a win

I heard a story that Richmond replicated Balme when Norwood played Footscray and marked out the Oval for practice - a longer Oval but narrow with straight wings

Their intel saw only one KPP forward so focused on ground ball - noting that the leading goal kickers for Norwood include Roger Woodcock and Neville Roberts, both flankers so no KPP forwards featuring

And so the game evolved, control wrested in the Ruck and then in the contest - plus the skills of Hill running the ground

In such contests you need all players standing when required - and otherwise accountable

That was the turnaround - skilled wingers and flankers can and have impacted with their run and disposal

Now to Canberra