Saints once again under appreciated by the media

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Re: Saints once again under appreciated by the media

Or ... A very young Saints team missing players 8 players were very lucky and not so brave to get the 4pts against an undermanned Tigers side

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Nick DalSanto Claus
Club Player

Devilhead wrote: Mon 08 Apr 2024 7:52pm Or ... A very young Saints team missing players 8 players were very lucky and not so brave to get the 4pts against an undermanned Tigers side
Beautifully put, Devilhead. Encapsulated my feelings and argument in 25 words or less, and there I was thinking I was reasonably effective with words. You bloody showoff! :D :D :D

Saints58
Club Player

Big Max wrote: Sun 07 Apr 2024 10:08pm
Nick DalSanto Claus wrote: Sun 07 Apr 2024 9:12pm Is it just me, or did the media heap praise on "The battling, undermanned, Tigers", while conveniently ignoring our lengthy list of unavailable players?

This is a hangover from last year, when our amazing performances were rarely, if ever, attributed to the ability of our underrated list.

We "Overperformed", "Played above ourselves" (which is impossible) and caught out teams who, "underestimated us."

Today, there were several moments I wanted to vomit because the commentators repeatedly told us how undermanned, brave and depleted the tigers were, while failing to give us credit for overcoming our long list of outs.

It was even mentioned on the lead in on the news and again in sport. Give it a rest, or at least provide some balance.

Take nothing away from the Tigers, who risked head and shin and did so with a grin. Unfortunately, once they fell behind, they fought and fought and lost.

I'd just like to point out that we had the following missing through injury and suspension.

Windhager
Crouch
Clark
Dow
Howard
Henry
Webster
Wood
Paton

That's nine, of whom all but Paton would arguably be in our best 22. Now that's what I call undermanned and depleted! Throw in the fact that we also gave them a four goal head start in a low scoring game! A tremendous effort!

There were two brave and undermanned teams out there today. It's just a pity the media only noticed one of them. Am I being overly sensitive?
We definitely have a lot missing (and don't forget Hayes), but I'm not sure they're all in our best 22 (23). I'm wondering which 9 players you'd leave out if all our injured guys were fit and available. For example, you've probably named 4-6 midfielders .. Windhager, Crouch, Clark, Dow, then Henry & Wood.

Would you suggest Webster for Boner?
Howard for Cordy?
Dow for Jones?
Which others?

Why would you drop Cordy he has been our most constant and safe defender how many times does he turn the ball over not a lot, and his decision making is excellent.
When cordy and Dougal played together last season when Battle was out it was the most constant and best defensive effort he had as a team.
Battle and Boner are both great players as well but turn over the ball consistently and do not make good decisions which often result in goals.
I am sure we could find a spot for Dougal in the backline with cordy and Battle ,Willkie, Nas Bonner.
I know people will say we don't need 4 KPD but Willkie is not a KPD at 191cm and this would allow him to be freed up in Defence.