Match Thread Saints v Giants Round 5 2024

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Re: Match Thread Saints v Giants Round 5 2024

Cordz2 wrote: Sat 13 Apr 2024 6:28pm Crouch, L Henry, Dow, Clarke, Wood, Webster all would make a difference to our ball use.
Easy to say that, but what did Crouch and Wood do in the first few matches? What did Clarke do last year?

IMO Webster is important, and Henry gave something we needed.

Dow hasn't played a game yet.

loris
Saintsational Legend

Re: Match Thread Saints v Giants Round 5 2024thr same

Waltzing St Kilda wrote: Sat 13 Apr 2024 6:16pm
The Fireman wrote: Sat 13 Apr 2024 6:12pm
TheGreatZacsby wrote: Sat 13 Apr 2024 6:05pm The same supporters who go don’t bag out the players think it’s wrong to get a Tarryn Thomas or a Jordan De Goey. If you want to FKN win a premiership you be ruthless. Hardwick DROPPED 9 players last week. He’s a 3 time premiership coach. You don’t see him cuddling the spuds for a bad game. You either perform or you get dropped, if you keep not performing you are gone for better performers. Circle of fkn life
I don’t bag the players but I wanted degoey and tarryn
I have no problem with the coach dropping players if they are struggling ..but bagging the players who are super athletes and achieved the pinnacle of the code really..?

I just don’t have the Gaul to do it
Julius Caesar had the Gaul.
Oh, Julius Caesar - brings me back to a ditty we used to wickedly recite in primary school - here ‘‘tis folks.
“Julius Caesar did a breezer on the coast of France,
Brutus tried to do the same,
Alas, he did it in his pants”. 😄

That nonsensical ditty is about as nonsensical as some of the negative comments as our resident expert on the failings of Saint players, Saint coaches, Saint game plan etc etc etc😇

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

I don't really know where to post it but Cordy was huge today. Not in any specific part of the game, but compared to the final last year he held his own, won his contests, and gave a bit where needed.

Before the season I had Howard firmly ahead of him, but I think it's line ball right now.

George27
Club Player

Otiman wrote: Sat 13 Apr 2024 6:32pm I don't really know where to post it but Cordy was huge today. Not in any specific part of the game, but compared to the final last year he held his own, won his contests, and gave a bit where needed.

Before the season I had Howard firmly ahead of him, but I think it's line ball right now.
I agree. I had him as our 4th best today ( albeit a long way behind the top 3 , who were standouts. ). I think he was only beaten once all day. Made the right decisions.

BadRossco
Club Player

Should make changes but doubt we will. King would not be missed and dropping Butler and Sharman would only improve the side. Not much on offer at Sandy with Hayes and Collard not getting much of it and Howard underdone. Jones got a lot of it but do we need another ball butcher, we already have Byrnes. Arie and Keeler were serviceable as was Campbell but Heath was very ordinary that said my changes would be out King (injured or wake up call), Butler, Sharman and Byrnes in Keeler, Collard, Hayes and Jones as sub, Garcia to get a full game, Arie should soon get a game to replace Bonner as he has been consistently good at Sandy.

wally
Club Player

Feels like a win to me considering where we were 2 mins into the last qtr, 35 points down.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

At least we know for sure we don't need Dan Butler and need to focus on youngsters Collard & Garcia.
Side also knows it can beat anyone over 4 quarters.
Sincs and Membrey back in form.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Sharman needs to be played in the forward line, he knows how to lead and kick straight (usually)

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
saintbob
SS Life Member

BadRossco wrote: Sat 13 Apr 2024 6:40pm Should make changes but doubt we will. King would not be missed and dropping Butler and Sharman would only improve the side. Not much on offer at Sandy with Hayes and Collard not getting much of it and Howard underdone. Jones got a lot of it but do we need another ball butcher, we already have Byrnes. Arie and Keeler were serviceable as was Campbell but Heath was very ordinary that said my changes would be out King (injured or wake up call), Butler, Sharman and Byrnes in Keeler, Collard, Hayes and Jones as sub, Garcia to get a full game, Arie should soon get a game to replace Bonner as he has been consistently good at Sandy.
Be careful the rose coloured glasses gang will be out to get you!

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

cwrcyn wrote: Sat 13 Apr 2024 5:47pm We actually matched them from the 2nd quarter onward, but made appalling errors that gifted them goals and denied us of them. Take those half a dozen howlers out and we win the game.

Some people on here say we're badly coached. If that game had been under Ratten or Richardson we'd have lost by 80
Bulldust.

The incompetent football manager set up Ratten to fail. He sold the board a bunch of fairytales that we were in a premiership window.

Ratten overachieved in 2020 with the talent he had. You could mount an argument for Ratts taking us all the way if Ryder wasn't injured and Carlisle and others hadn't gone home for the semi.

We managed just 6 goals up until 3 quarter time today. We got back into the game because GWS lost 3 players and had another 2 that were sore and ineffective.

Our players weren't coached to have courage and big hearts. They were born with those

Bowey Boy
Club Player

shrodes wrote: Sat 13 Apr 2024 5:45pm
George27 wrote: Sat 13 Apr 2024 5:42pm
B.M wrote: Sat 13 Apr 2024 5:34pm Least Caminiti took his full 30 secs 👍🤣

Even though we were 7 points down with 40 seconds to go
I totally disagree with your criticism. He had to kick the goal. He took the time he needed. He kicked the goal- AND there were still 41 seconds on the clock at the next bounce . As we saw, still plenty of time to win the game if we were good enough.

There were plenty of occasions where you might legitimately criticise our players , but not that player on that occasion.
Agree, especially because he shanked his earlier snap that was almost identical. Fixed it, kicked the goal. We had time. I'm going to cut him some slack there.
Has the deliberate point ever happened in this situation?

"I think, 'You kick a footy mate, you kick a footy. It's not like you've got a cure for cancer. You kick a footy, stop thinking you are so special'." - Samantha Black
Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Bowey Boy wrote: Sat 13 Apr 2024 11:44pm
shrodes wrote: Sat 13 Apr 2024 5:45pm
George27 wrote: Sat 13 Apr 2024 5:42pm
B.M wrote: Sat 13 Apr 2024 5:34pm Least Caminiti took his full 30 secs 👍🤣

Even though we were 7 points down with 40 seconds to go
I totally disagree with your criticism. He had to kick the goal. He took the time he needed. He kicked the goal- AND there were still 41 seconds on the clock at the next bounce . As we saw, still plenty of time to win the game if we were good enough.

There were plenty of occasions where you might legitimately criticise our players , but not that player on that occasion.
Agree, especially because he shanked his earlier snap that was almost identical. Fixed it, kicked the goal. We had time. I'm going to cut him some slack there.
Has the deliberate point ever happened in this situation?
I doubt it would in modern football - team defense is now so good you are just setting yourself up for them to slingshot to the other end.

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
asiu
Saintsational Legend

it's interesting tactical thinking though

the pill is at your end
... u just gotta get it

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

If the opposition don't make mistakes they take the ball end to end with apparent ease. GWS first quarter. But if you persist they get tired and a bit frustrated then slightly desperate. We persisted mightily and fate denied us.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Sun 14 Apr 2024 11:01am If the opposition don't make mistakes they take the ball end to end with apparent ease. GWS first quarter. But if you persist they get tired and a bit frustrated then slightly desperate. We persisted mightily and fate denied us.
I thought we played a better attacking brand of footy in the last 15 minutes. It’s a godsend being down by a huge margin and playing freely with nothing to lose. The mindset changes. Having 22 out on the field ALL trying their guts out helps. No negative body language helps too.

The young fella Garcia was hungry to win contested ball. So was Jack Steele. He hunted the footy instead of worrying about defending.

We won contested ball 40-28 in the last even though they had beaten us in both the 2nd and 3rd quarters. They started defending their lead and played keepings off 10 minutes into the last, but we ended up having more disposals overall than they did. Coniglio injured and Kelly sore helped.

Could have nearly pinched it with 41 seconds left on the clock after Caminiti goaled. The last ruck battle wasn’t won by Marshall or Briggs. The ball was still in the centre circle. Jack Steele burrowed in and got the footy out to Josh Battle. Josh had Nas running past and right there ready to receive the handball, but Battle bombed away blindly inside 50 and it was marked by GWS. Game over

We just need ALL players thinking and acting in the interest of team. Take a leaf out of the captain’s handbook

freely
SS Hall of Fame

We need to use king deceptively at least half the time. Let him call for it and lead while our real target runs into space.

footynut
Club Player

We should be ashamed!!! Game over drop them all!!! f*** this team. Donate Match payments.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Zak Jones

Is that the best scapegoat you’ve got?