Phillipou Close to Signing

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

older saint
SS Life Member

Re: Phillipou Close to Signing

FFS he was the youngest player in his draft year, and isn't the first player to struggle in their second year.
Its not his fault he has been picked at times when performance wasn't great.
His form is down and could do with a few weeks in the seconds , and perhaps we may have enough players available to do that soon .

We have limited players on the list with top 10 talent of their draft year and people want to get rid of him after less than 30 games. What so we can grab another early pick and when he struggles in a couple years move him on. That is the mentality of Stkilda 1970s-1990s and the success which tracked with that era.

Remember year 2 or 3 Petracca was supposedly a bust too, as was Hodge and many many others. The Harley Reids, Chris Judd's are few and far between that make a significant influence in the first few years

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

The point isn't that he's poor, or will be poor.

The point is that he is not able to command the contract that he or his manager would expect.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

He has had a cruisy run thus far being picked to play every week

It's now time that if his form and effort don't warrant selection then he needs to be dropped.

It might actually do him some good

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

But dropped for whom?
Maybe Clark when he is fit? Not really like for like? (which might not be a bad thing).
Not for me to critique our development plans, but I wonder at times if he is developing "footy sense" and composure at the rate hoped for.

nostalgicsaint
Club Player

Otiman wrote: Mon 22 Apr 2024 12:08pm The point isn't that he's poor, or will be poor.

The point is that he is not able to command the contract that he or his manager would expect.
Even this is assumptive. A lot of critical comments without any justification.

Disclaimer: posts are my views and shouldn't be taken as fact, even if I am in fact right.
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

His manager could suggest to the young man he play a blinder Friday night. Might help the contract price and other loose ends.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

nostalgicsaint wrote: Mon 22 Apr 2024 6:11pm Even this is assumptive. A lot of critical comments without any justification.
I can give plenty of justification just using logic and the facts. Then some assumptions at the end.

Facts:
Pou was touted as an elite future talent in 2023
Pou's performances in 2024, including preseason, have not lived up to the expectations
Pou's performances are being outshadowed by Wilson and Garcia
There is no signed contract yet

Logic:
Pou and his manager set their expectations on a trajectory to elite.
The club don't see the "proof in the pudding" so are offering contracts based on what they see.
Pou, his management, and the club are unable to agree to terms yet
Pou is hoping that by delaying negotiations, he can string a few good games together to command a better price

Assumptions:
Any talk of a move back to Adelaide is speculation and even if true would only be a negotiating tactic

Rubyjo
Club Player

We want pou to be Harley Reid ...he is not Harley Reid ..maybe 1/3 of Harley Reid ..Pou probably worth 350k 400k a year ..Harley Reid will be on a mill before you know it . Pou's management have to know his worth.

Saints58
Club Player

I remember when supporters said we should trade another player who was really struggling every week drop him trade him it really annoyed me at the time, but Ross persisted with him and he ended up being ok the player was pick #1 Brendan Goddard so it does take time. Give the kid a chance I know he will have a break out game soon.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

For what it's worth I think Pou is worth chasing with a contract over his output.

But as the club you can't back yourself into a corner with the cap. You end up like the Bulldogs and having to trade some good players.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Pou’s manager is an absolute flog. Tells anyone who cares to listen that Pou is going to be the best player in the competition within 3 years. A good mate of mine was at a function his manager was at and his manager told him directly

If that’s what he’s listening to, God Help him. Another mate of mine is mates with his dad. Reckons his confidence is at rock bottom. FFS Ross give the kid a spell in the Magoos, for his sake and the team’s sake

Nick DalSanto Claus
Club Player

Phillipou will be elite. Bookmark it. RTB and crew are playing him in the midfield as part of his overall football "education".
It's for his own good, even though he is struggling atm.

He'll come good. If you doubt it, go back and look at his highlights from the first half of last year. What it showed was that he was a natural forward. Play him as a high half forward with short bursts in the midfield.

Dare I say it, but he reminds me of George Young. I just hope he proves to be anywhere near as great as our "Georgie".

spert
Saintsational Legend

Nick DalSanto Claus wrote: Mon 22 Apr 2024 11:48pm Phillipou will be elite. Bookmark it. RTB and crew are playing him in the midfield as part of his overall football "education".

He'll come good. If you doubt it, go back and look at his highlights from the first half of last year. What it showed was that he was a natural forward. Play him as a high half forward with short bursts in the midfield.

Dare I say it, but he reminds me of George Young. I just hope he proves to be anywhere near as great as our "Georgie".
I saw George Young in his early days, also Goddard- both ahead of Pou at the same stage in their career

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Saints58 wrote: Mon 22 Apr 2024 7:40pm I remember when supporters said we should trade another player who was really struggling every week drop him trade him it really annoyed me at the time, but Ross persisted with him and he ended up being ok the player was pick #1 Brendan Goddard so it does take time. Give the kid a chance I know he will have a break out game soon.
I agree with the BJ comparison, but it was GT rather than Ross who copped the flak for sticking with him.

BJ played 4 seasons and 80 or so AFL games before Ross showed up. My recollection is that he missed just about the whole of Ross’s first season at the club with an ACL or some such (no doubt the hangover effect of GT’s pesky Training Services that Teflon was always warning us about).

It was no accident that almost all of our highly rated draft picks in the early 2000s went on to become star players (even Ball and Kosi, who were very unlucky wirh injuries.). GT, whatever else people might say about him, was a good developer of talent.

Ross’s approach has always been a bit sink or swim. He’s great with players who’ve been around a while and might be underperforming. But I think he mainly leaves it to his assistants to do the developing of the newbies. NWM seems to be in very safe hands wirh Boris, and likewise Phillipou and Wilson with BJ.

I worry about Owens with Harves. Indeed, I worry about Harves altogether. All-time great player, but can he truly coach? (Sacreligious, I know. Sorry.)
Last edited by meher baba on Tue 23 Apr 2024 7:28am, edited 3 times in total.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

And I must be mad, but I reckon Phillipou is developing ok. IMO he’s shown quite a bit more this season than last. He’s starting to find and seriously play his position at HF.

Lots of second rate players can take speccy marks. I don’t care about them. I want to see a player like Phillipou right in the middle of a chain of padding that ends up in a dangerous entry to the forward 50. And he’s doing a bit more of that this year. I hope he re-signs soon.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote: Tue 23 Apr 2024 7:06am
Saints58 wrote: Mon 22 Apr 2024 7:40pm I remember when supporters said we should trade another player who was really struggling every week drop him trade him it really annoyed me at the time, but Ross persisted with him and he ended up being ok the player was pick #1 Brendan Goddard so it does take time. Give the kid a chance I know he will have a break out game soon.
I agree with the BJ comparison, but it was GT rather than Ross who copped the flak for sticking with him.

BJ played 4 seasons and 80 or so AFL games before Ross showed up. My recollection is that he missed just about the whole of Ross’s first season at the club with an ACL or some such (no doubt the hangover effect of GT’s pesky Training Services that Teflon was always warning us about).

It was no accident that almost all of our highly rated draft picks in the early 2000s went on to become star players (even Ball and Kosi, who were very unlucky wirh injuries.). GT, whatever else people might say about him, was a good developer of talent.

Ross’s approach has always been a bit sink or swim. He’s great with players who’ve been around a while and might be underperforming. But I think he mainly leaves it to his assistants to do the developing of the newbies. NWM seems to be in very safe hands wirh Boris, and likewise Phillipou and Wilson with BJ.

I worry about Owens with Harves. Indeed, I worry about Harves altogether. All-time great player, but can he truly coach? (Sacreligious, I know. Sorry.)
I agree with a lot of what you said, however I disagree about Ross with regard to managing the youth and his development skills.

Ross went through a period of success at Fremantle and then a period of rebuilding.

I think we are benefitting from a senior coach who has seen it and lived it. He was a senior coach who had the responsibility of managing youngsters. I think he also understood with both St Kilda and Fremantle (when they fell out of the top 8) that there were no short cuts.

After the Grand Finals he tried topping up at both clubs. It didn't work in so far as getting back to the summit. I think he realised how fortunate he was to have walked into two gigs with the plum job of coaching 2 mature and ready made and experienced finals outfits.

I believe he also now realises the work of those who had come before him and handed him such 'coachable' talent at both clubs

Lyon saw that the stars of both those sides weren't imports. They were a core group of players who had come to their respective clubs as teenagers and they grew and developed together and the bond and loyalty to team and to club is an intangible that you can't put a price on

It's untried territory for him but he's been brave enough to take on the challenge.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Don't get your hopes up Firey
I'm not a fanboy just yet

Moods
Saintsational Legend

It just feels like we’re ( the coaching panel) are all in on Pou regardless of what he’s doing right or wrong. I suspect because of his size, his draft status, and his supposed willingness to train and subsequent good attitude has meant Ross wants to keep playing him.

For the life of me I can’t see what the harm is in playing reserves? Was good enough for NAS and 90% of every other player who has played the game.

I remember the great Garry Wilson telling us youngsters at a clinic one day. Overhead marking is the tell tale sign of confidence in a player. You’re marking well, very rarely are you playing poorly. Stayed with me that piece of guidance. Coming from a rover it was particularly relevant I thought. Means your hands are good, your timing, body positioning etc are all on. Great overhead marks are extremely courageous players, they fly for balls in the air and have no idea where contact will come from. They also attack the ball unconditionally, see Roo, Carey, Jon Brown etc

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

How many VFL games did NAS play?

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Nick DalSanto Claus
Club Player

spert wrote: Tue 23 Apr 2024 6:43am
Nick DalSanto Claus wrote: Mon 22 Apr 2024 11:48pm Phillipou will be elite. Bookmark it. RTB and crew are playing him in the midfield as part of his overall football "education".

I saw George Young in his early days, also Goddard- both ahead of Pou at the same stage in their career
Hi spert. Did you see Georgie play at Subiaco, prior to him coming to us? He played 77 games (72 goals) at Subiaco in the WAFL, and was an All-Australian in 1972.

He then came to the saints in 1973, a mature 24 year old star, with an impressive record. Give Pou a chance. I see a lot of Georgie's style in the Pou and just hope my judgment proves to be correct.

As for Goddard, he was in and out of the side for his first few years, while also struggling in the senior side when he did get a game. It prompted Mike Sheehan to write an article on him, titled, "Lost in Space", with BJ pictured in a space suit. It was speculated that St.Kilda had indeed wasted a number one draft pick.

It took BJ a number of years to become a regular, productive senior player. Pou is way ahead of him at the same stage.

So based on the available evidence, your claims about either of those two being ahead of a barely 19 year old Pou with 29 games (consecutive from his debut), under his belt, seems harsh, if not far fetched.

RTB and his team are hard taskmasters. For them to invest in him so heavily suggests they see him as a special talent. I'm sticking with them.

repta
Club Player

Second year drop off

Will come good however will take time. Expectations are high and been given a free pass to date.
Needs a run in the 2s to find the ball.again.
Should wait on the resigning.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Tue 23 Apr 2024 1:56pm How many VFL games did NAS play?
A handful. Got dropped in his first year

B.M
Saintsational Legend

You think Phillipou is young for the draft?! Being 18 at the end of December in his draft year

Goddard wasn’t 18 until the following May after his draft year
- the rules on drafting age has changed since then

Goddard may well have debuted as a 17yo

He also came into a to a side that was choc full of talent. And there are only so many possessions to go around- he was very much a fringe player- coming off the bench playing HB/Wing/HF

That side had Harvey, Hayes, Powell, Thompson, Ball, Dal Santo, Baker, Black, Jones - the list goes on! Tough team to break into, let alone play a significant role as a 17/18yo. Goddard like Phillipou is that in between size - a tall flank/mid - generally after ruckmen they are the slowest to develop.

Goddard was also a pick 1 and the best teenager in the country by a mile. Was destined to be a star

Phillipou has talent but is no sure thing - which is why he went at pick 10

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Tom Morris on channel 9 reporting that Harley Reid will be rested this week.

Announcement tonight on 9 News Sport.

Here's a guy ripping it up...BUT his coach and the club want what's best for the players development in the medium term and long term

Learn St Kilda. There's a reason why West Coast have won multiple premierships.

This is what I wrote in October 2023
The guy doing the announcing at the Trevor Barker Medal was 'celebrating' the fact that Pou played all games this year.

I mean, it's great that he is a talented kid who trains well and does his recovery well, and he put on the jumper for all 24 games....but what did it achieve?

I think he played his worst football for the last 3 games of the year.

I would have preferred that he was freshened up and managed late in the year. The physical aspect as well as the mental fatigue can't be underestimated.

I'm not sure if some other player would have ripped it up in his absence, but I think it would have helped to sharpen Pou's focus. Keep him hungry

The week off might have helped him play better in Round 24 and the Elimination Final.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Even Harley Reid gets a rest when he needs it.