Footy Fix: Ross Lyon is the AFL's most boring coach once again - and it's suffocating the Saints' season

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

shrodes
SS Life Member

Footy Fix: Ross Lyon is the AFL's most boring coach once again - and it's suffocating the Saints' season

https://www.theroar.com.au/2024/04/26/f ... ts-season/

Note: Thread title is not mine, please don't shoot the messenger :D
Just found it an interesting read

spert
Saintsational Legend

Re: Footy Fix: Ross Lyon is the AFL's most boring coach once again - and it's suffocating the Saints' season

The opposition coaches have worked Lyon's game out after one and a bit seasons. Similar in a way to 2011 where the strengths of the game plan of 2009/2010 were picked apart by the opposition. Yesterday's man I'm afraid as I feared when they appointed him as coach again.

Club Player

Re: Footy Fix: Ross Lyon is the AFL's most boring coach once again - and it's suffocating the Saints' season

You're not giving much credit (or lack of credit) to the assistant coaches.

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

If we swapped Membrey with Dixon and their midfield with ours, we would have won by 10 goals.

We need a decent midfield and a hulking, one-grab forward.

We're probably only 4 star/high-impact players away from a premiership.

We are/look "boring" because of that (probably not the game plan being boring, as much) ... those 3 or 4 stars that we're lacking.

Anyway, Henry, Dow, Clark, Wood and King will improve us ... make us look less boring.

SaintWiki
Club Player

samoht wrote: Sat 27 Apr 2024 11:26am If we swapped Membrey with Dixon and their midfield with ours, we would have won by 10 goals.

We need a decent midfield and a hulking, one-grab forward.

We're probably only 4 star/high-impact players away from a premiership.

We are/look "boring" because of that (probably not the game plan being boring, as much) ... those 3 or 4 stars that we're lacking.

Anyway, Henry, Dow, Clark, Wood and King will improve us.
Some negative supporters love times like this so they can throw an endless amount s*** at the Ross Lyon, but with at least 60% 'Henry, Dow, Clark, Wood and King' returning and a bit of luck on injuries we are very likely to start looking much better.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Fourth youngest team at the moment

If it wasn't....

It would be me getting into Lyon 😜

SinCitySainter
Club Player

We have players missing but when we were playing well at the start of last year Wood was the only one of those missing players who was available.
What has changed since then is Ross has implemented his negative game plan. The article is correct we are the most boring side in the competition and that will keep supporters happy when you are winning. Right now we offer the viewing public a string of losses and zero entertainment.
We will get players back and will win a few games to get us into the no man's land of mid table. We need A grade talent which is hard to get from the draft when you are not in the top few picks.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote: Sat 27 Apr 2024 10:48am The opposition coaches have worked Lyon's game out after one and a bit seasons. Similar in a way to 2011 where the strengths of the game plan of 2009/2010 were picked apart by the opposition. Yesterday's man I'm afraid as I feared when they appointed him as coach again.
You have it the wrong way around. With easily the worst list in the AFL (certainly the one that we saw last night), we have been close to the opposition in 4 of our 5 losses. In all 4, we gave kindergarten goals to the opposition with kicks directly to them within their 50 metre arc.

Killa
Club Player

Well, I happen to know for fact what Rattan’s marking of the List was, that it had improved and the strategy to further improve it

But the marking was low

The Board agreed including with the strategy - but replaced Brett regardless

The strategy remains in place, focussed on youth and, if available, established players of very particular credentials

And progress continues to be made - witness our best players last night including Windhager, Wilson, Owens, Wanganeen-Milera and Byrnes

It wasn’t them who let the side down - or Phillipou, Garcia or Hastie when he came on

So who does that leave, noting the players we trust will return over coming weeks and where Sandringham today will be of interest (noting they did not play last week so compromising the progress of Howard et al)

The G Train Legacy
Club Player

spert wrote: Sat 27 Apr 2024 10:48am The opposition coaches have worked Lyon's game out after one and a bit seasons. Similar in a way to 2011 where the strengths of the game plan of 2009/2010 were picked apart by the opposition. Yesterday's man I'm afraid as I feared when they appointed him as coach again.
If opposition Coaches worked out Lyon's gameplan in 2011, does that mean they forgot what they worked out in 2012 & 2013?

If it weren't for the psychological blow of losing 2 GFs in a row and Lenny Hayes' knee injury, we would have been top 4 and contended again in 2011.

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

The G Train Legacy wrote: Sat 27 Apr 2024 2:21pm
If opposition Coaches worked out Lyon's gameplan in 2011, does that mean they forgot what they worked out in 2012 & 2013?

If it weren't for the psychological blow of losing 2 GFs in a row and Lenny Hayes' knee injury, we would have been top 4 and contended again in 2011.
Lyons game plan works when he's got the cattle.
Opposition coaches know all you need to do is to keep the pressure on and we'll turn it over.
When Rtb has 10+ good users of the ball ( like he did with us 07-11 & Freo 12-14 ) he can beat most sides .
Currently we don't have that many , we're still building as he and the pres have stated that we're looking to get more talent in November.
Atm we are 14th , he'd probably be happy to finish there and end up with pick 5 in the draft.
Wouldn't surprise me if Norf chalk up their first win next week .

In red white and black from 73
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

FFS. Look at the teams we have lost to!

Last nights 10 point loss was our second biggest loss of the season and suddenly we can’t even beat Norf!

Pleaaase!!

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
SteeleSaints
Club Player

I tend to agree with the article ATM he is coaching to save games, rather than kick winning scores. A lot of that is treading water whilst we get senior players back from injury.

I think after we get something near a full team playing RTB will release the shackles again.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

The losses by small margins masks the issues - we struggle to score
I like Harvey but don’t think he’s a forward coach
I watched fumbles, overrun the ball, dropped chest marks last night….thats not game plan
Seb Ross 9 possessions at HT ….thats not game plan
Smashed in tackles ….not game plan
Hill (culprit again) turning it over in D50, Bonner too then Howard decided to hand ball over his head to no one????
None of that is game plan - that’s just sub standard, dumb footballers
Be good to get Tim Membrey back in the side so he can show up to a contest and bring the ball to ground……oh wait!

“Yeah….nah””
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

The only difference between a 'hardened premiership side' and 'boring dull play' is wins and losses.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

if RTB wins us the most boring flag in history..I'll get over it.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Richmond and St Kilda have been the teams hit hardest by injury and suspension. I think Lyon is trying to manage things because at best he's been 5 players short of his best line-up and at worst 8 players short. The midfield is a liability and he knows it, so you have to tinker with things and put players in positions they're either not ready for (eg Garcia tagging Butters) or unsuited to playing (Sharman in Wood's role).

It's a different story to those clubs who've had close to their best line-up each week

B.M
Saintsational Legend

With previous coaches we must have had better players and no injuries

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

If we're so bad, how come we only just lost to Geelong at Geelong with half our side out?

The next three weeks we must win, but I am philosophical about the season so far.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Article is basic and just goes along with media narrative

There is no ‘root cause’

Its analysis is simplistic and could be written by a year 10 kid

spert
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote: Sat 27 Apr 2024 1:20pm
You have it the wrong way around. With easily the worst list in the AFL (certainly the one that we saw last night), we have been close to the opposition in 4 of our 5 losses. In all 4, we gave kindergarten goals to the opposition with kicks directly to them within their 50 metre arc.
The name of the game is winning at this level though- no good being really good perpetual runners-up, and that's the Lyon trademark.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote: Sun 28 Apr 2024 11:17am If we're so bad, how come we only just lost to Geelong at Geelong with half our side out?

The next three weeks we must win, but I am philosophical about the season so far.
B.M wrote: Mon 18 Mar 2024 4:33pm Geelong will finish 9-14th

So we just lost to an average team - who were +19 i50

Now we have the reigning premier licking their wounds
Luckily, we have BM to set us straight 😊

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Geelong have surprised - did you pick them as a top 2 team?

They are remarkable

I still don’t think they are a premiership threat though

Collingwood- hard to gauge
Probably the luckiest premiership in my memory

They won a ridiculous amount of close games last season including finals.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sun 28 Apr 2024 11:49am Geelong have surprised - did you pick them as a top 2 team?

They are remarkable

I still don’t think they are a premiership threat though

Collingwood- hard to gauge
Probably the luckiest premiership in my memory

They won a ridiculous amount of close games last season including finals.
no i didn't but did say they were a bloody good team after our first game loss..you disagreed

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Early Tackle: Bont disaster which could cost Dogs dearly

SCOTT GULLAN, heraldsun.com.au

YOU SPIN SOME, YOU LOSE SOME
Ross Lyon is a genius, that’s the reputation he holds in the football world and it seems like his time in the Triple M commentary box has served him well.

His openness when he has a microphone in front of him now is compelling and has commentators all warm and fuzzy given his honesty and the way he talks about the game.

As a result of being so open and honest, it’s human nature to then be more reticent to not go as hard with criticism as you might with someone else (ie Luke Beveridge).

Lyon’s spin is that he’s running a dual narrative, getting games into the kids while trying to maintain a side capable of playing finals like the Saints did in his first season last year.

Right now, that plan isn’t working. Yes, you can hide behind some close finishes and as many stats as you like but the Saints look a lot more like a battling August side than an aspiring September outfit.

The playing-the-kids mantra is admirable although a couple of them, namely Mattaes Phillipou and Mitch Owens, have hit a rough patch while Max King, who didn’t play against the Power, is still yet to really announce himself as a force.

Then when you put the microscope to the rest of it, there are holes everywhere. The midfield can look pedestrian at times with captain Jack Steele, Seb Ross and the new face in there, Marcus Windhager, unlikely to win the Stawell Gift any time soon.

Take Rowan Marshall out of the equation and the big man stocks are light-on. Zaine Cordy and Josh Battle try hard, Dougal Howard has been a bust while at the other end Tim Membrey is struggling, Anthony Caminiti is hot and cold and Cooper Sharman is an honest battler.

We’ll know a lot more about St Kilda over the next month or so with some very winnable games – (North Melbourne at Marvel, Hawthorn in Tassie, Fremantle at Marvel, Melbourne at MCG and West Coast in Perth) – in the schedule.

After that, what is Ross spin and what are facts will be a lot clearer.