Higgins Alir incident

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Re: Higgins Alir incident

I believe they are

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Apparently they are appealing based on Aliir Aliir contributing to the impact

On another note the following comments should all be printed and given in defense.

Apart from a few they all seem to wonder WTF the AFL is going.

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
The G Train Legacy
Club Player

Annoyedsaint wrote: Sun 28 Apr 2024 1:41am
Teflon wrote: Sun 28 Apr 2024 12:43am
Laurie wrote: Sat 27 Apr 2024 6:37pm The AFL is F######.
I love my football however increasingly getting so disillusioned by the game i.e umpiring rule changes and Gestapo running the game. How good were the good old days.
AFL clearly have it in their sights which teams they want in finals. 28-8 free kicks last night absolute joke.
Cameron gets let off because he is a good bloke pfft Just my two bobs worth .
BOOM BOOM
Very much headed this way myself
If it’s not compromised fixtures….it’s incompetent or corrupt umpiring….or it’s the joke of an MRO ruled by 1 hand dead brainless twit who makes it up as he goes along
Sad thing is…..the club will bend and assume the position..
Be nice to just stand up once and say this is just garbage….treat all clubs the same or f k off!
Joke.
And they said 3 knowing we’ll challenge so they can give him 2…..meanwhile Cameron walks cause he’s a “good bloke”
Just rot
Since that Laura Kane has started the game has gone down hill rapidly …
This is what happens when dogooders are in charge.
One replaced by another and it’s been going on for a while. The game (and world for that matter) has increasingly gone down hill as a result.

Dillon and Kane. The blind leading the blind and then patting each other on the back.
It's Dumb and Dumber. They're leading me to suspect they're light on competence, even by historic AFL standards.

Alir contributed substantially to the way he hit the deck. He tried to do the impossible well after having been tackled by Higgins. It should have been called holding the ball way before it happened. So the umpire also has some fault.

3 weeks! Typical bone headed and cursory response by the AFL. I could live with 7 weeks for Webster, but this is ridiculous. And so were King and Windhager's suspensions.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

I reckon this thread would have been 6 pages long by now if the AFL hadn't hacked Saintsational last night

Did anyone else suspect a DDoS attack? This site was out of action for over an hour or two

https://www.cloudflare.com/learning/ddo ... os-attack/

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Sun 28 Apr 2024 10:23pm I reckon this thread would have been 6 pages long by now if the AFL hadn't hacked Saintsational last night

Did anyone else suspect a DDoS attack? This site was out of action for over an hour or two

https://www.cloudflare.com/learning/ddo ... os-attack/
Absolutely - I knew it the moment I tried to log in to check the Votes

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
ace
Saintsational Legend

King Max wrote: Sun 28 Apr 2024 8:33pm
Sainternist wrote: Sun 28 Apr 2024 7:02pm
King Max wrote: Sat 27 Apr 2024 10:03pm
Sainternist wrote: Sat 27 Apr 2024 9:56pm
saynta wrote: Sat 27 Apr 2024 6:14pm 3 weeks for Higgins is an AFL effing sick joke, but who is really surprised
Michael Christian seems to really enjoy plucking out BS reviews on St.Kilda players. Did Plugger belt him back in the day?
Did Spud iron him out?
Maybe Spud. But I thought he was a defender, which would have meant he was more likely to be on the receiving end of Plugger coming at him like a freight train.
1:20:37

Plugger did not play in this game and Robert Harvey lasted less than half the match (45:55).
But they still kicked Collingwood arse at that cess pit Victoria Park.
That ground would make an ideal site for some these 40 storey towers that are going to built elsewhere in Melbourne.
Its near a railway and not too far to the CBD.

Collingwood retaliation 1:26:22

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Pretty clear that Allir's decision to kick the ball played a large part in the outcome of Allir's head hitting the ground .. now of course he has every right to kick the ball but any other decision (ie handballing) very likely leads to vastly different outcome

Much like Brayshaw changing direction into Maynard's flying bump/attempt to smother ... if he doesn't change direction Maynard may only just clip him

One gets 3 weeks suspension and Allir gets a week to recover

One gets 0 weeks and Brayshaw never plays again

Time for Christian to move on and let someone else try and sort this MRO clusterfk

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Bruce G McAbee
Club Player

Well, we must have a chance because David King said on First Crack that he believes he should get off.

Think of me long enough to make a memory.
ace
Saintsational Legend

Bruce G McAbee wrote: Mon 29 Apr 2024 1:48am Well, we must have a chance because David King said on First Crack that he believes he should get off.
If Higgins does not get off the penalty should be down graded due to Alir's contributing negligence trying to kick the ball and then failing to make any effort to protect himself.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote: Mon 29 Apr 2024 2:05am
Bruce G McAbee wrote: Mon 29 Apr 2024 1:48am Well, we must have a chance because David King said on First Crack that he believes he should get off.
If Higgins does not get off the penalty should be down graded due to Alir's contributing negligence trying to kick the ball and then failing to make any effort to protect himself.
It was not even that he tried to kick - if he had dropped the ball onto his foot and kicked - the result may have all been on Higgo - but I believe he lost control of the ball and tried to swing his foot in a roundhouse - pendulum motion to get to the ball - this propelled his momentum around and down. Like swinging a bucket full of water on the end of a rope.

― Aristophanes

Selhurst Saint
Club Player

King Max wrote: Sat 27 Apr 2024 10:03pm
Sainternist wrote: Sat 27 Apr 2024 9:56pm
saynta wrote: Sat 27 Apr 2024 6:14pm 3 weeks for Higgins is an AFL effing sick joke, but who is really surprised
Michael Christian seems to really enjoy plucking out BS reviews on St.Kilda players. Did Plugger belt him back in the day?
Did Spud iron him out?
He certainly did. Spud knocked him out two years in a row at Vic Park. He is clearly still pissed off. He would have hated the fanfare around Spuds game this year. Result, King gets a week.

"...If there has been one recurring theme through this whole shocking mess, it has been the misguided, inflated egos and their ill-judged determination to cling to long-standing old boy friendships. The bad advice that has guided the selfish and culpable James Hird has not only punctuated this saga but symbolised it..."
Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

How can the impact be severe if the bloke gets up and takes his kick?
Surely, severe is when you're KO'd instantly?

I would ask what else are players to do in some scenarios?
Higgins never once changed his grip on the bloke, never once changed the action, wasn't violent in the tackle. He'd be giving up at least 10kg to Aliir. Once the tackle started, the only way to avoid being reported would be to let Aliir go. Is that the game we want?

Aliir had every right to try and dispose of the footy, or he's done for holding the ball. It's a pity Membrey didn't stick the initial tackle for a second otherwise the umpire would (should) have paid HTB before the Higgins tackle took Aliir to ground.

The incident itself doesn't pass the sniff test for a 3 week ban.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

It's very unprofessional of MC to let his personal grievances interfere with his role as Match Review Officer if that is what is happening.

He is only human, and you have to wonder.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Maybe Christian is still punch drunk.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote: Mon 29 Apr 2024 1:42pm Maybe Christian is still punch drunk.
Maybe MC needs the hessian bag (sack)

― Aristophanes

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote: Sun 28 Apr 2024 11:27pm Much like Brayshaw changing direction into Maynard's flying bump/attempt to smother ... if he doesn't change direction Maynard may only just clip him
Great argument, except that you're wrong about there ever being any possibility of Maynard missing Brayshaw.

Watchthe front on replay (1 min 14 into this)

https://www.afl.com.au/video/1025644/g- ... 4079804001

Brayshaw veered to the right ever so slightly and, if anything, it was taking him away from danger, because Maynard was also veering to his right. But neither veered anywhere near far enough and there is no way in the world that Maynard was ever going to miss him. It's absurd to suggest otherwise.

Watching the replay again, I was struck at how angry and aggressive Maynard was after the incident. A long way from the sort of sheepishness that you would expect from a player who had inadvertently knocked an opponent unconscious.

I quite like Maynard: he gives an honest effort to the best of his abilities. But he should have gotten weeks.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Sainter_Dad wrote: Mon 29 Apr 2024 1:58pm
magnifisaint wrote: Mon 29 Apr 2024 1:42pm Maybe Christian is still punch drunk.
MRO is a joke

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/match- ... -Rv5x4bP8p

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Mon 29 Apr 2024 3:09pm
Sainter_Dad wrote: Mon 29 Apr 2024 1:58pm
MRO is a joke

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/match- ... -Rv5x4bP8p
Agree.
AFL is workshopping its new improved protect the head approach in real time. MRO is making it up as he goes along. Plus, pity is AFL has already stated precedence has no bearing. So every week is groundhog week at the tribunal. The Chritianstein monster has been released.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Cornes is slamming the comment that Alir is half the blame for the illegal tackle by trying to dispose the ball by foot, the only option he had left.

But Alir, by making that decision made himself vulnerable, therefore making the tackle more risky.
Higgins is merely tackling for a holding the ball decision so its not malicious , it wasn't meant to cause harm making it purely accidental and how could higgins known that Alir would render himself prone to avoid penalty by trying to kick it ?
Last edited by The Fireman on Mon 29 Apr 2024 5:08pm, edited 3 times in total.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Kane Scorn being an annoying and erroneous contrarian again.

Having played for Port, he is also heavily compromised, like when he anointed a former Port teammate for the coaching job at the Dogs.

Game of mates!

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Are we not challenging this? Would have thought there'd be an announcement by now.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

saynta
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote: Mon 29 Apr 2024 2:18pm
Devilhead wrote: Sun 28 Apr 2024 11:27pm Much like Brayshaw changing direction into Maynard's flying bump/attempt to smother ... if he doesn't change direction Maynard may only just clip him
Great argument, except that you're wrong about there ever being any possibility of Maynard missing Brayshaw.

Watchthe front on replay (1 min 14 into this)

https://www.afl.com.au/video/1025644/g- ... 4079804001

Brayshaw veered to the right ever so slightly and, if anything, it was taking him away from danger, because Maynard was also veering to his right. But neither veered anywhere near far enough and there is no way in the world that Maynard was ever going to miss him. It's absurd to suggest otherwise.

Watching the replay again, I was struck at how angry and aggressive Maynard was after the incident. A long way from the sort of sheepishness that you would expect from a player who had inadvertently knocked an opponent unconscious.

I quite like Maynard: he gives an honest effort to the best of his abilities. But he should have gotten weeks.
It's OK to like him. Me? I think he is an effing thug.

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

I am still surprised Steele wasn't suspended for Taylor being knocked out a couple of weeks ago, Steele willfully went towards the ball causing Taylor to run into his back.

axcellence
Club Player

Aliir 196cm powerfully built
Higgins 177cm small forward

To assume Aliir didn’t contribute by doing the mid air kick would be laughable.