Mattaes Phillipou

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Mattaes Phillipou

Some absolute couch fools on this forum.

Anyone who watched the game live would know Luke McDonald, being the opponent focused tool that he is, was at Phillipou from the first minute. Pushed, poked, punched and scragged Mattaes all game. He didn’t give him an inch. Something Phillipou has never experienced at AFL level.

It was a learning experience, but in terms of Phillipou’s future, both short and long term, today had no bearing on it whatsoever. He will be a star.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Luke McDonald is currently the North whipping boy

Hasn’t played a good game in 3 years

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

5 disposals today.

He might need a spell in the VFL for 2-4 games.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

B.M wrote: Sat 04 May 2024 10:52pm Luke McDonald is currently the North whipping boy

Hasn’t played a good game in 3 years
Never said he played well.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Beno88 wrote: Sat 04 May 2024 10:41pm Some absolute couch fools on this forum.

Anyone who watched the game live would know Luke McDonald, being the opponent focused tool that he is, was at Phillipou from the first minute. Pushed, poked, punched and scragged Mattaes all game. He didn’t give him an inch. Something Phillipou has never experienced at AFL level.

It was a learning experience, but in terms of Phillipou’s future, both short and long term, today had no bearing on it whatsoever. He will be a star.
At first I thought you were being ironic but you’re serious??
I’ve heard every excuse under the sun made for this kid, but this takes the cake. His opponent was sticking on him and was too rough 😆

I am sick to death of the team carrying the Pou. He’s not AFL standard and I’m not sure he ever will be. Had one kick today and most handpasses missed there mark. Never takes contested marks, always gets pressured with the ball ( because he’s slow of body AND mind) He is basically a passenger week in, week out. And yet, for some incredible nonsensical reason, he gets a game every week. I’m not convinced he would even get more than 20 possessions in the VFL, but I don’t reckon we’ll ever find out

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

With players coming back it might be his turn to drop out, a few weeks in the 2s should do him some good.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote: Sat 04 May 2024 11:30pm I’m not convinced he would even get more than 20 possessions in the VFL, but I don’t reckon we’ll ever find out
Bet you he gets a spell soon. As soon as Dow and Clark are available.

He's no where near being a first choice midfielder. Struggling as a forward as well, but I'm not sure if that's the role he's being asked to play

We used to have too many half back flankers. Now we've got too many 3rd talls - Owens, Pou, Membrey, and Sharman

Members and Michito being asked to play as the 2nd KPF when they should be 3rd

In fact... Owens should be released into the midfield

repta
Club Player

25 possessions in 3 weeks
He needs a rest.
Our depth is shallower than a puddle in the desert.
But he needs a spell. Maybe a week off and a run in vfl to find the ball. He has forgotten what it looks like.

ace
Saintsational Legend

Signed a 2 year extension to make himself safe from delisting.
He is still trade-able but what pick would you get for him.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
ace
Saintsational Legend

I don't know why they took Hastie off Pou performing even worse.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Beno88 wrote: Sat 04 May 2024 10:41pm He will be a star.
Yeah nah...

Whatever you do, please don't tell us he's a ripper 😭

I like Pou. I think he's got the talent and the right attitude to make it as an AFL player, but I'm nervous about the way St Kilda develop some of our so called 'star' young players.

avid
Club Player

Love him and believe in the Pou, but 1 kick, 4 (mainly ineffective) handballs, 0 marks, 0 tackles says being gifted a game each week may not be the best strategy for developing him.
Garcia, who is far less equipped to be a dominant forward, at least made 7 tackles in the same forward line.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

The bones are there, in terms of stats when he got the ball he was creating play. He is training to be a game breaker, our Degoey type. Not an accumulator.

80% Contested possession rate
40% Score involvements to Disposals

But when you look at the big picture you can see what's lacking.
0 tackles
5 disposals
40% disposal efficiency
48 metres gained

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

That makes grim reading. 🥴

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Harvey To Hayes
Club Player

Moods wrote: Sat 04 May 2024 11:30pm

I’ve heard every excuse under the sun made for this kid, but this takes the cake. His opponent was sticking on him and was too rough 😆

I am sick to death of the team carrying the Pou. He’s not AFL standard and I’m not sure he ever will be. Had one kick today and most handpasses missed there mark. Never takes contested marks, always gets pressured with the ball ( because he’s slow of body AND mind) He is basically a passenger week in, week out. And yet, for some incredible nonsensical reason, he gets a game every week. I’m not convinced he would even get more than 20 possessions in the VFL, but I don’t reckon we’ll ever find out
Hope when he inevitably comes good that you get the chance to reflect on how clueless you are...

The future's so bright I've got to wear shades...
Moods
Saintsational Legend

Harvey To Hayes wrote: Mon 06 May 2024 1:34am
Moods wrote: Sat 04 May 2024 11:30pm

Hope when he inevitably comes good that you get the chance to reflect on how clueless you are...
I do too. Truly.

D.B.Cooper
Club Player

My theory with young players like Philipou is that they are bigger, stronger and more talented than most other juniors, therefore they run around playing purely an attacking style.

They then get a break in the big league and they play the same way, run and jump and catch a few grabs, and look amazing.

Then the coaching staff start to develop them to fit into team structures and play roles they may not be familiar with and they go through a season or two of learning and development before coming out the other side as the player the club wants and they should be.

I think Philipou is in this transition stage, and I hope the club preserves with the development.
Also believe a spell in the VFL and a live kill doesn’t hurt the confidence.

I think Pou will be a high forward winger who will develop into a Mason Wood style player.

We just need a couple of seasons development and I think he’ll be a very good player, he has real talent and some X factor, not to mention a strong work ethic.

A combination of talent and effort rarely fails in the long game.

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
nostalgicsaint
Club Player

D.B.Cooper wrote: Mon 06 May 2024 8:56am My theory with young players like Philipou is that they are bigger, stronger and more talented than most other juniors, therefore they run around playing purely an attacking style.

They then get a break in the big league and they play the same way, run and jump and catch a few grabs, and look amazing.

Then the coaching staff start to develop them to fit into team structures and play roles they may not be familiar with and they go through a season or two of learning and development before coming out the other side as the player the club wants and they should be.

I think Philipou is in this transition stage, and I hope the club preserves with the development.
Also believe a spell in the VFL and a live kill doesn’t hurt the confidence.

I think Pou will be a high forward winger who will develop into a Mason Wood style player.

We just need a couple of seasons development and I think he’ll be a very good player, he has real talent and some X factor, not to mention a strong work ethic.

A combination of talent and effort rarely fails in the long game.
Nailed it.

Disclaimer: posts are my views and shouldn't be taken as fact, even if I am in fact right.
Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

Mattaes Phillipou averages 12.4 disposals per match over his first 32 games of AFL football. He had a career low 5 disposals in his 32nd match.

Jack Sinclair averaged 12.4 disposals per match over his first 32 games of AFL football. He had a career low 3 disposals in his 27th match.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Beno88 wrote: Mon 06 May 2024 2:41pm Mattaes Phillipou averages 12.4 disposals per match over his first 32 games of AFL football. He had a career low 5 disposals in his 32nd match.

Jack Sinclair averaged 12.4 disposals per match over his first 32 games of AFL football. He had a career low 3 disposals in his 27th match.
How many games at Sandy did he play? When he was poor, he got dropped like everyone else, except The Pou

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Jack Sinclair was no good in his first few years.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Beno88 wrote: Mon 06 May 2024 2:41pm Mattaes Phillipou averages 12.4 disposals per match over his first 32 games of AFL football. He had a career low 5 disposals in his 32nd match.

The other thing is average possessions is just a number. Cyril Rioli probably wouldn’t have averaged much more than 15 possessions over his career. It’s what Pou is doing with those possessions. Tbh, I’d say nothing much as a rule. A lot are rushed handpasses in traffic as he’s getting tackled.

Have you seriously not seen him taking short steps as he approaches a contest. Not keeping his head over the ground ball, flinching in marking contests or running underneath the ball?

The kid is completely out of his depth, and because we want him to succeed so badly, some of us have blinkers on when watching him play. Right now, he doesn’t deserve a game. He needs to be dropped for his own sake. We are destroying him!

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

You don't learn to swim standing on the Sandy beach.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote: Mon 06 May 2024 3:51pm Jack Sinclair was no good in his first few years.
You're right...
I've done a comparison of Sinclair in 2016 with Pou for this year.

He was very skinny and lacked strength in his first 2 years, but he attacked every contest.

I think he suffered severe concussion and it set him back for a short period.

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_ ... 2=S&type=A

Sinclair started showing signs of his ball winning ability in 2017 (which was his third year at the club). He was averaging 20+ per game.

IIRC, Richo was playing him as a midfielder and small forward. When Ratts came along he identified Sincs elite talents and switched him to HBF.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

It’s all position dependent when looking at disposal

Sinclair started out his career as a small forward - 12ppg is very acceptable in that position

He then played a bit at Sand in the midfield- dominated

Then played on the wing in 2018 - had a terrific season

Then went to Half Back - elite

Don’t compare apples and oranges. Different positions get different amounts of the footy

Phillipou plays HB he averages 20 per game