Match Thread: Saints vs Kangas

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Re: Match Thread: Saints vs Kangas

Bruce G McAbee wrote: Sun 05 May 2024 6:14pm How bad is Clark's knee?
Could be the end of his career and sadly reflects our draft recruiting over the years. Our 2 top 10 draft picks from that year no longer at the club, both with potential and both cruelled by bad luck and injury.
That's right. Our recruiters should have an ability to predict the future injury history of all potential draftees with 100% accuracy.

How dare they not be able to do this?!

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

shrodes wrote: Sun 05 May 2024 6:02pm Dow had a good last quarter in the clinches, racked up quite a few important clearances. Agree that he isn't banging down the door for selection.

Curious if anyone who watches the games thinks Arie is close? Personally I feel like he has a lot to work on defensively, seems almost allergic to tackling or pressure of any kind, and his stats belie his actual performance a bit I reckon. Note this is a not a knock on him long term, just a reflection on where he's currently at amid a bunch of people I've seen crying for him to be in the main squad.
Arie plays the Bonner role. Finds space very well, recieves and delivers. Offers more of an aerial contest than Bonner, and not as much at ground level.

I can see a world where Bonner goes out, With Arie and Paton coming in. Not sure who would be the second out to cover for this.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Best of the Saints listed: Jones, Sharman (in defense), Collard, Paton.

Caminiti plenty of chances, but won the ball under a bit too much pressure and missed a few.

Dow was good when he got his hands on it.

I think Collard and Paton could come into the side next week. Dow and Henry a chance as well.

Jones is an interesting one where he has proven poor form at AFL level but rips it up in the VFL. A bit like Lonie and Bytel.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote: Sun 05 May 2024 6:23pm
Could be the end of his career and sadly reflects our draft recruiting over the years. Our 2 top 10 draft picks from that year no longer at the club, both with potential and both cruelled by bad luck and injury.
That's right. Our recruiters should have an ability to predict the future injury history of all potential draftees with 100% accuracy.

End of career based on what reports?

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Bruce G McAbee
Club Player

Wrong vibe, it's typical of our luck as well as bad choices in drafting.

Think of me long enough to make a memory.
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

The poor old hawks are beating the side that thumped us

Bruce G McAbee
Club Player

SaintPav wrote: Sun 05 May 2024 6:28pm

End if career depending in severity and how it will effect him.
If it's bad, wouldn't surprise me if he just gave it away because of the luck he is having.

Think of me long enough to make a memory.
SteeleSaints
Club Player

I watched the game and IMO Sandringham were lucky to get away with a win. They played well in patches but Norths run and gun handball out of defence cut them up at times. Campbell was huge with his clearances and around the ground marking, but I dont know if he was injured in the last quarter he didnt play out the game.

Most of the Saints listed players played well, particularly Campbell, Jones, Paton, Sharman, Shoemaker and O'Connell. Collard finished his chances well, McLennan marked well, Caminiti competed but was beaten in the air, Heath rucked ok but otherwise was ineffectual.

Shoenmaker is used as a run by release player on most exits, but his one on one defensive efforts still need a bit of work. He is the sort of player who could come in and replace Bonner if he gets injured.

Clark & Allison were both injured. If Allison has done his foot again thats him done and dusted, the upside is it will allow the club a list spot to look at the mid season draft.

Collard is a good finisher there is no doubt, but there is something off with the kid he never looks happy or emotionally engaged during games, nor does he get excited if his team mates scoring. The only emotion you see is frustration and disappointment when his team mates dont use him. In a team game he has more to do before he should be considered at AFL level IMO.

Phillipou didnt do a lot yesterday he would be the only player in danger after the win. RTB said in his presser Henry was ready to play next week so I expect him to replace Phillipou. The only other who had a quiet game was Garcia, Jones is the only player capable of filling that role that played well today. Whether or not RTB gives him another chance is questionable.

Paton had a really good game but our defence went well yesterday.
Last edited by SteeleSaints on Mon 06 May 2024 1:10am, edited 1 time in total.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Bruce G McAbee wrote: Sun 05 May 2024 7:42pm
SaintPav wrote: Sun 05 May 2024 6:28pm

End if career depending in severity and how it will effect him.
If it's bad, wouldn't surprise me if he just gave it away because of the luck he is having.
You need to stop making it up!

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Re: VFL vs North

SteeleSaints wrote: Sun 05 May 2024 5:15pm Surprise Sandi bombing it long into F50 and wasting dominant period. North out marked them on most occasions, the Sandi forwards are all one out none of them work to block for a team mate.

Its something that we are really poor at at AFL in our F50, so shouldn't expect any difference here.

Put a line through Allison he will be gone at seasons end. Clark should also be traded out aswell IMO, too injury prone and not prepared to work hard enough to build the body required.
I noticed that too - seem to have forgotten we did NOT take Biggie - kept kicking to him

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
ace
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote: Sun 05 May 2024 6:28pm Best of the Saints listed: Jones, Sharman (in defense), Collard, Paton.

Caminiti plenty of chances, but won the ball under a bit too much pressure and missed a few.

Dow was good when he got his hands on it.

I think Collard and Paton could come into the side next week. Dow and Henry a chance as well.

Jones is an interesting one where he has proven poor form at AFL level but rips it up in the VFL. A bit like Lonie and Bytel.
The difference in Jones apparent form is indicative of the difference in level between AFL and VFL.
He is too good for VFL but getting too slow for AFL.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
ace
Saintsational Legend

Isaac Keeler & Zaine Cordy did not play despite not being listed as injured but in the case of Cordy he was dropped from the AFL team due to "managed".

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

Jones isn’t too slow for AFL - it’s his decision making and ball use that are not up to it.

#1 Ryder fan
shrodes
SS Life Member

ace wrote: Mon 06 May 2024 12:08am Isaac Keeler & Zaine Cordy did not play despite not being listed as injured but in the case of Cordy he was dropped from the AFL team due to "managed".
Keeler reportedly had a calf injury in the warmup and was a late out

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Jones is extremely quick

No composure and takes on the tackler every time- runs himself into trouble or gets caught.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Mon 06 May 2024 6:55pm Jones is extremely quick

No composure and takes on the tackler every time- runs himself into trouble or gets caught.
Born for League where its constant tackle/try to break tackle and team mates are behind the ball carrier.
Guys in front or beside Zac get terribly confused about what's happening.