King ...out of form or

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Re: King ...out of form or

People were talking about Max King in the same sentence as Coleman Medal before the season started.

What has changed?

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

King is not a natural forward. He averages a contested mark or two a game ... but that's all he wants to do, contest.
A Dixon, Hawkins or Tex Walker can probably get away with that (contesting mostly) with their builds.

Sure, he will kick a bag of 3 or 4 once or twice a year (well, Wilson did this week)... but he might have the potential to be a consistently good defender, week in week out?

Have we ever tried him in defence in any of the internal practice matches, sims?
Has the thought crossed anyone's mind?

ace
Saintsational Legend

BadRossco wrote: Sat 04 May 2024 9:50pm Max is soft, trade him before all the other clubs realise this.
And F-R-A-G-I-L-E.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
ace
Saintsational Legend

Port Adelaide nailed the 2018 draft.
They took Connor Rozee at pick 5 and Zac Butters with pick 12
Both have been All Australian and Rozee Is Port Adelaide's captain.
St Kilda took Max King at pick 4 and Gold Coast Ben King at pick 6.

St Kilda did not learn from the 2014 draft chasing after the allusive super star full forward.
School boy full forward reputation's get crushed when they play against men just as tall and stronger than them.
St Kilda has failed to get value for pick 3 in 2013 (Jack Billings), pick 1 in 2014 Paddy McCartin, and pick 4 in 2018 (Max King)
That's 3 All Australian selections fluffed.

They don't understand, there is only one Tony Lockett and he was zoned to St Kilda not drafted.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

I saw King make space in front of where we were sitting (Bay 24) and the kick went directly to the benefit of the opposition. I think the problem isn't the forward in this situation, but the release kick, or whatever you want to call it, into the forward line. Mids and wingers getting space on their opponent and kicking out on the full or deep into the pockets.

Simplistic to blame the forward when the ball is not being kicked to them. Yes, when the ball was brought to ground the defender ran away with it, but this could be because he is recovering from his knee injury.

I will be interested to see how Ming goes in Launceston. If we get one of Clark, Dow or Crouch back, and Liam Henry, that will make it very hard for Hawthorn to defend against us.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
Sanctorum
Club Player

"Looks like Tarzan but playes like Jane" is appropriate for Max King.

In the past 2 games he's played there have been at least 2 occasions when he was positioned to take a set shot from the 50m arc - on each occasion he betrayed his cronic lack of confidence by instead of kicking for goal (certainly giveable) layed off a short pass to a team mate which failed to reach his target, was intercepted and turned over.

This clearly suggests that Max needs some serious counseling to deal with the mental side of his game, because in the past he has demonstrated that he is more than capable of nailing set shots for goal from a long way out.

There's no quick fix for this problem and he is not the only top draft pick to crumble under the immense pressure of high expectations by the media and supporters; it's also possible that, as with Tim Membrey, he has stuff going on outside of footy that contributes to this state of mind.

It's far too soon to talk about moving him on, although playing for another team (interstate especially) might help him to make a fresh start.

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Sun 05 May 2024 2:51am
Teflon wrote: Sun 05 May 2024 2:09am
Yes I’d like to see him lead up like Larky did/does ….but we have a midfielder as our forwards coach
Who runs the show? Banger or RTB?

Does Max King do as he pleases and the team and the head coach devise all strategies around Max?

3 years ago it was Ratten's fault that King wasn't leading according to you

https://www.saintsational.net/viewtopic ... 0#p1959710

2 years ago it was Ratten's fault again and not the forwards coach or midfield coach's fault

Last year ...it was no ones fault but Max's. Last year you were implying that the team and the coaches should resign themselves to the fact that he won't lead; or he cant lead; or he doesn't like to lead
King clearly likes contested marking has an aversion to leading that’s all good as long as we have other options..
That's one hell of a highly paid decoy.

https://www.saintsational.net/viewtopic ... 7#p2016487
Mods do we have a juvenile section?
I haven’t got the time nor energy
I had this muppet on foe and somehow he’s responding?
Not to be rude but….im just not interested
Please advise what I need to do remove
Thanks
Teflon

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote: Sun 05 May 2024 1:12pm I saw King make space in front of where we were sitting (Bay 24) and the kick went directly to the benefit of the opposition. I think the problem isn't the forward in this situation, but the release kick, or whatever you want to call it, into the forward line. Mids and wingers getting space on their opponent and kicking out on the full or deep into the pockets.

Simplistic to blame the forward when the ball is not being kicked to them. Yes, when the ball was brought to ground the defender ran away with it, but this could be because he is recovering from his knee injury.

I will be interested to see how Ming goes in Launceston. If we get one of Clark, Dow or Crouch back, and Liam Henry, that will make it very hard for Hawthorn to defend against us.
Spot on
Dunstall on Fox said exactly same thing
Saints kick into 50 had burnt him 5-6 times
Let’s face it - our entries need work and it’s an execution/skill issue
Lyon noted exactly same thing in presser …said it’s a work in progress as we left a heck of a lot of scores out there…
Again, we need a genuine forward coach
It’s romantic having Harvey but I’m not convinced he was ever a coach tbh abs certainly no forward

“Yeah….nah””
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Harvey didn’t play terrible- King did

You overate the impact of a coach- players get it done

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Sanctorum wrote: Sun 05 May 2024 1:44pm "Looks like Tarzan but playes like Jane" is appropriate for Max King.

In the past 2 games he's played there have been at least 2 occasions when he was positioned to take a set shot from the 50m arc - on each occasion he betrayed his cronic lack of confidence by instead of kicking for goal (certainly giveable) layed off a short pass to a team mate which failed to reach his target, was intercepted and turned over.

This clearly suggests that Max needs some serious counseling to deal with the mental side of his game, because in the past he has demonstrated that he is more than capable of nailing set shots for goal from a long way out.

There's no quick fix for this problem and he is not the only top draft pick to crumble under the immense pressure of high expectations by the media and supporters; it's also possible that, as with Tim Membrey, he has stuff going on outside of footy that contributes to this state of mind.

It's far too soon to talk about moving him on, although playing for another team (interstate especially) might help him to make a fresh start.
Wow
23 hasn’t even hit peak
Has had constant interruptions
We are discussing moving him on interstate?
Tough crowd

“Yeah….nah””
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Needs a run further up the ground, he is better running back than he is as deepest forward. That's what Caminiti is for.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote: Sun 05 May 2024 7:17pm Needs a run further up the ground, he is better running back than he is as deepest forward. That's what Caminiti is for.
I agree
He’s also very clever through his field kicking/marking often sets us up
I’d free him up IF knee allows..

“Yeah….nah””
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

I have no doubt king can play
He’s skilled by hand with good second efforts, moves well for a bloke his size

But just doesn’t seem slot in as a ff atm Who knows he may improve in this area but atm struggling

Must be moved up the grd

Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

He is turning into Aaron Fiora. I’m always hoping he turns it around and he never does. I’ve been waiting for so long to change my name to King is King but perhaps Max is the goose after all

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote: Sun 05 May 2024 7:24pm I have no doubt king can play
He’s skilled by hand with good second efforts, moves well for a bloke his size

But just doesn’t seem slot in as a ff atm Who knows he may improve in this area but atm struggling

Must be moved up the grd

I agree with that. Start him at the old CHF, not on the last line. Needs to find a way to find space and launch at the ball or on the lead.

He was hopeless yesterday against an opponent who turned everything into a grappling contest. He will be ok, but needs to have a strategy to combat this type of opponent next time.

SAINT-LEE
Club Player

Otiman wrote: Sun 05 May 2024 8:39am People were talking about Max King in the same sentence as Coleman Medal before the season started.

What has changed?
He's still leading for the....

GARY COLEMAN Medal.

King's "Whatchu talkin bout" when asked to play as an actual Key Forward has him easily leading for this prestigous award.

Best of Luck Max!

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Sun 05 May 2024 6:36pm
Scollop wrote: Sun 05 May 2024 2:51am
Teflon wrote: Sun 05 May 2024 2:09am
Yes I’d like to see him lead up like Larky did/does ….but we have a midfielder as our forwards coach
Who runs the show? Banger or RTB?

Does Max King do as he pleases and the team and the head coach devise all strategies around Max?

3 years ago it was Ratten's fault that King wasn't leading according to you

2 years ago it was Ratten's fault again and not the forwards coach or midfield coach's fault

Last year ...it was no ones fault but Max's. Last year you were implying that the team and the coaches should resign themselves to the fact that he won't lead; or he cant lead; or he doesn't like to lead
King clearly likes contested marking has an aversion to leading that’s all good as long as we have other options..
That's one hell of a highly paid decoy.

https://www.saintsational.net/viewtopic ... 7#p2016487
Mods do we have a juvenile section?
I haven’t got the time nor energy
I had this muppet on foe and somehow he’s responding?
Not to be rude but….im just not interested
Please advise what I need to do remove
Thanks
Teflon
Teflon,

Having a problem with the technology are you?

The local kinda kids might be able to help. If not, my 3 year old nephew should be able to fix it for you

Anyhow ..

Don't worry. I won't doctor or modify your post...but...this is really what you wanted to say isn't?

I don't want to discuss my changing views on whose fault it is that Max won't lead.

Obviously, I'm not going to question Ross Lyon's coaching or instructions.

It must be Bob Harvey's fault. Only a muppet can't see that.

Mods. Do something please. Mods

I want to cry

repta
Club Player

He is 23 and yet to reach his peak.
Yes. But he hasn't improved in years. Why would he suddenly get better.
Reminds me of kosi. Promises, has odd good games but never really delivers.

Doesn't work hard enough. Lacks pressure.
Yes Saints midfield move too slowly to him.
Less than 50/50 chance of kicking a goal when he does eventually get it.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

I remember a few years ago about talk of getting Bing down from the sunny gold coast to play with his brother Ming when he was out of contract. I thought at the time Ming could easily end up playing with his brother - but with gold coast instead.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

I love foe buttons

“Yeah….nah””
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Jacks Back wrote: Sun 05 May 2024 11:00pm I remember a few years ago about talk of getting Bing down from the sunny gold coast to play with his brother Ming when he was out of contract. I thought at the time Ming could easily end up playing with his brother - but with gold coast instead.
can you get that sorted for something decent in return. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
ctqs
Club Player

Even if he got better service there's every chance he'd miss the shot at goal. I've said for a couple of years that he's the most overrated player in the comp and it seems like everyone else is catching up. Play him up the ground and let him use his speed and height.

Still waiting for closure ... if you get my drift.
SaintWiki
Club Player

It makes sense that King and Members must be out of form to some extent due to their absence's. The forward line disarray may improve if/when we have a good run with injuries, but surely there must be a better forward game plan than it appears.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Give the bloke a spell.

Was one of our best against Collingwood then was ridiculously suspended. Came back was good then injured.

He like most forwards needs to find timing and form.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

ace wrote: Sun 05 May 2024 10:20am Port Adelaide nailed the 2018 draft.
They took Connor Rozee at pick 5 and Zac Butters with pick 12
Both have been All Australian and Rozee Is Port Adelaide's captain.
St Kilda took Max King at pick 4 and Gold Coast Ben King at pick 6.

St Kilda did not learn from the 2014 draft chasing after the allusive super star full forward.
School boy full forward reputation's get crushed when they play against men just as tall and stronger than them.
St Kilda has failed to get value for pick 3 in 2013 (Jack Billings), pick 1 in 2014 Paddy McCartin, and pick 4 in 2018 (Max King)
That's 3 All Australian selections fluffed.

They don't understand, there is only one Tony Lockett and he was zoned to St Kilda not drafted.
Winx, Winx, nudge, nudge ... say no more. The above post sums it up. Ouch!! :wink:
Swap our recruiters with just about anyone on this forum and we'd have sustained success.