Is it time to play Pou at HBF

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Saints58
Club Player

Is it time to play Pou at HBF

I would pay Pou on Half back line it would allow him to get his hands on the ball build confidence and he would have a lot of experience around him.
Its about decision making as he has a big kick he could really turn into a weapon there.
Once he gets confidence back move him to where ever coaches wont.
We would probably have to move Bonnar to the Half forward line but that might be a win win situation for both players

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Re: Is it time to play Pou at HBF

I don't agree. At the moment he doesn't deserve his spot in the seniors. It doesn't send a good message to the guys trying to get a game.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Time for him to play some VFL

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Let him stay until he gets 25 possies for the next 3 weeks. A good test for his character.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
TheGreatZacsby
Club Player

Mate… he’s no Harry Sheezel. He’s in the mould of Bont / Fyfe / Tom Green. Let him play permanent centre mid and rest him in the forward line with his best mate Hammer. He comes back in when he kicks a goal and gets 25+ possessions. I don’t want to see fumbles, I want to see clean disposals.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

TheGreatZacsby wrote: Thu 09 May 2024 8:56pm

He’s in the mould of Bont / Fyfe / Tom Green.

Why?

What have you seen from his 30 games so far that allows the comparison?

TheGreatZacsby
Club Player

Vortex wrote: Thu 09 May 2024 10:43pm

Why?

He’s that big bodied midfielder that kicks goals. It was why he was drafted. Are you for real xD ? Or taking the piss? Do you not watch the draft? Pou was rated as a similar player like the above I just mentioned.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

TheGreatZacsby wrote: Thu 09 May 2024 11:04pm

Why?

He’s that big bodied midfielder that kicks goals. It was why he was drafted. Are you for real xD ? Or taking the piss? Do you not watch the draft? Pou was rated as a similar player like the above I just mentioned.
Be mindfull of the fact that the marketeers who write the draft bios also write the blurbs for wine labels.

Many a draft prospect are pitched as being "in the mould of" that don't deliver to the description on the label and if his first 30 AFL games are anything to go by then he's an extremely long way from the Bont and Fyfe mould.

That's not to suggest anything other than he hasn't done anything yet on an AFL field yet to justify a role in the midfield against big bodied players and has been extremely fortunate to be gifted 30 games of AFL to prove he could. Possibly wouldn't have happened at any other club other than one that was also in a hard rebuild like North, Hawks or WCE.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Saints58 wrote: Thu 09 May 2024 6:50pm I would pay Pou on Half back line it would allow him to get his hands on the ball build confidence and he would have a lot of experience around him.
Its about decision making as he has a big kick he could really turn into a weapon there.
Once he gets confidence back move him to where ever coaches wont.
We would probably have to move Bonnar to the Half forward line but that might be a win win situation for both players

So take one of our team's few strengths and turn it into a weakness.

Sando is the spot for Pou to find form, not our HB line.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Moods
Saintsational Legend

Why?

He’s that big bodied midfielder that kicks goals. I
Except he's not. Not even close. The only thing we can say about him so far is that he's big bodied. He's looked completely out of his depth in the midfield and he doesn't kick many goals. Hopefully a run in the VFL will do the trick. I'd say 4 x weeks minimum and let him actually learn the game against players of lesser ability.

SteeleSaints
Club Player

Moods wrote: Fri 10 May 2024 12:47am
TheGreatZacsby wrote: Thu 09 May 2024 8:56pm He’s in the mould of Bont / Fyfe / Tom Green.
Why?
He’s that big bodied midfielder that kicks goals. I
Except he's not. Not even close. The only thing we can say about him so far is that he's big bodied. He's looked completely out of his depth in the midfield and he doesn't kick many goals. Hopefully a run in the VFL will do the trick. I'd say 4 x weeks minimum and let him actually learn the game against players of lesser ability.
100% Moody he just needs to refind his confidence and Im sure the rest will come. Go back to basics and start enjoying the game again, I think he is a pretty intense kid. A few weeks playing midfield at VFL level will do him wonders.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

TheGreatZacsby wrote: Thu 09 May 2024 8:56pm Mate… he’s no Harry Sheezel. He’s in the mould of Bont / Fyfe / Tom Green. Let him play permanent centre mid and rest him in the forward line with his best mate Hammer. He comes back in when he kicks a goal and gets 25+ possessions. I don’t want to see fumbles, I want to see clean disposals.
He played his first 4 or 5 games last year and we were all excited with what we saw.

Pou got 18 disposals in Round 4 and 19 in round 5 last year. After that he averaged something like 11 or 12 touches per game and his form fell away badly at the end of the year

I don't think he showed improvement on those early games and yet the senior coach and development staff played him each and every round. He was expected to perform each and every round.

I believe the way West Coast Eagles have managed Harley Reid is the model we need to follow

I believe we made a mistake in playing him for 24 games. I'm sure his improvement is not going to be linear and he'll have form slumps. The trick is to keep him fresh and try and plan his year out with scheduled breaks on top of the normal bye rounds.

There's nothing wrong with resting one of your young stars. Send them home for a few days and tell them to refresh their mind as well as their body

Let's not make the same mistakes with Wilson and let's not burden the guy with the expectation that he needs to perform week in and week out like one of the senior and more experienced players.

TheGreatZacsby
Club Player

Vortex wrote: Thu 09 May 2024 11:24pm

Why?

Be mindfull of the fact that the marketeers who write the draft bios also write the blurbs for wine labels.

Many a draft prospect are pitched as being "in the mould of" that don't deliver to the description on the label and if his first 30 AFL games are anything to go by then he's an extremely long way from the Bont and Fyfe mould.

That's not to suggest anything other than he hasn't done anything yet on an AFL field yet to justify a role in the midfield against big bodied players and has been extremely fortunate to be gifted 30 games of AFL to prove he could. Possibly wouldn't have happened at any other club other than one that was also in a hard rebuild like North, Hawks or WCE.
Okay so the next thing is the world is flat, man never went on the moon and Phillipou is the next Billings.

Vortex you must have a miserable life. Id hate to be your wife.

TheGreatZacsby
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Fri 10 May 2024 4:09am
TheGreatZacsby wrote: Thu 09 May 2024 8:56pm Mate… he’s no Harry Sheezel. He’s in the mould of Bont / Fyfe / Tom Green. Let him play permanent centre mid and rest him in the forward line with his best mate Hammer. He comes back in when he kicks a goal and gets 25+ possessions. I don’t want to see fumbles, I want to see clean disposals.
He played his first 4 or 5 games last year and we were all excited with what we saw.

Pou got 18 disposals in Round 4 and 19 in round 5 last year. After that he averaged something like 11 or 12 touches per game and his form fell away badly at the end of the year

I don't think he showed improvement on those early games and yet the senior coach and development staff played him each and every round. He was expected to perform each and every round.

I believe the way West Coast Eagles have managed Harley Reid is the model we need to follow

I believe we made a mistake in playing him for 24 games. I'm sure his improvement is not going to be linear and he'll have form slumps. The trick is to keep him fresh and try and plan his year out with scheduled breaks on top of the normal bye rounds.

There's nothing wrong with resting one of your young stars. Send them home for a few days and tell them to refresh their mind as well as their body

Let's not make the same mistakes with Wilson and let's not burden the guy with the expectation that he needs to perform week in and week out like one of the senior and more experienced players.
I agree wholeheartedly.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Might just be a case of one of those highly fancied recruits who don't crack it at senior AFL level. I wish him well, but I'm not seeing much so far.

Rocket
Club Player

I think he is too slow. He has quick hands in close but has no pace. Ok mark but at his size will need to improve in air.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

TheGreatZacsby wrote: Fri 10 May 2024 7:56am
Id hate to be your wife.
I said to my wife once that I thought that she was cheeky but very approachable...I stole that line from a wine label but she thought I was clever and witty.

Sometimes wine labels can give you good feedback is the moral of the story.

TheGreatZacsby
Club Player

Seems like Mattaes is the new whipping boy and he’s only 19. You old boys need to calm down. He’s having second year blues. He will come good. Kids a future champion.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

TheGreatZacsby wrote: Fri 10 May 2024 10:46am Seems like Mattaes is the new whipping boy and he’s only 19. You old boys need to calm down. He’s having second year blues. He will come good. Kids a future champion.
I don't disagree but doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result wasn't working for him.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

2nd year blues

Biggest load of s*** ever

Made up myth

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Fri 10 May 2024 12:13pm 2nd year blues

Biggest load of s*** ever

Made up myth
Like tall players take longer to develop

AFL is riddled with myths.

I'm going to start a new one...King is having 6th year blues.

OK I'm being mischievous

Happy Friday

SinCitySainter
Club Player

Unfortunately, his second year blues started about round 6 in his first year.
Sending him back to Sandy is the correct approach.
He needs to justify his selection by performing at Sandringham.
He started well last year and then was gifted games ahead of players that probably offered more to the side.
I don't think it is any coincidence that he has been dropped as soon as the ink is dry on his new contract.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Shockingly gifted games last year, especially after mid season

It culminated in a final to forget for Phillpou who was out of form and down on confidence

Nothing wrong with developing kids through the vfl and allowing them to get experience

TheGreatZacsby
Club Player

Im all for Mattaes to be dropped, but the constant bashing and making him the new whipping boy is beyond a joke old boys. I can think of a few players who are worse *cough* Byrnes *cough*

You all need to just CALMA DOWN

repta
Club Player

He needs a change in role as he needs to find the ball again.
Half back might give him that opportunity.

Needs a run at VFL level. Both to find the ball, get away from the spotlight and settle in his own mind.

Learning takes time. Confidence is a strange concept. Takes time to build, seconds to destroy and once gone may never return.

He needs to be managed to ensure that he gets back to his cocky best.