Play the youth

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Play the youth

Phillipou 1 poss
Collard 2 poss
Sharman 2 poss
Caminiti 5 poss
Wilson 8 poss

Basically passengers

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: Play the youth

Who should be playing that is match-fit and isn’t? Look I daresay Seb Ross would offer more than, say, Phillipou … but the sad reality is that we aren’t contenders this year. And won’t be until we unearth some players
Last edited by bigcarl on Sat 18 May 2024 10:27pm, edited 1 time in total.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I don’t think this post aged well

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Steele, Webster, King - all 10 touches or less.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Why not

They are our worst 5 players

Sharman subbed off again

Club Player

in partial agreement with B.M. Wilson looks comfortable at the level, too early to judge Collard, BUT Pou looks completely out of his depth. Cannot break a tackle, his too easily brushed off, panics with the ball when he has it (rarely) and has yet to show, in my view anything to justify his draft pick.

the invisible and the non existent look very much alike
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Yes, you are correct Marto. I feel, however, Ross and the club have put the queue in the rack for 2024 and are looking to the future

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote: Sat 18 May 2024 10:46pm Yes, you are correct Marto. I feel, however, Ross and the club have put the queue in the rack for 2024 and are looking to the future
So send all the coaches home and save some money for the club, pay off the debt.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote: Sat 18 May 2024 10:46pm Yes, you are correct Marto. I feel, however, Ross and the club have put the queue in the rack for 2024 and are looking to the future
So send all the coaches home and save some money for the club, pay off the debt.

IluvHarvey
SS Life Member

B.M wrote: Sat 18 May 2024 10:31pm Why not

Sharman subbed off again
Paton, Steele, Wood, Jones and Bonner all say Hi

"It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress."
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Jones

He only cam on as Sub

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Interesting that the panel on Fox Footy are talking about the way the Aints are coached as to why they are shite ?

Not so much about the inexperience of youth.

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
Nick DalSanto Claus
Club Player

Speaking of the youth, I'm a big fan of Nas as he is one of our very few players with the talent to make things happen. He is arguably the most skillful player on our list.

My observations of him over the past season and a half is that he's not a defender's bootlace, yet because Corey said so they've played him there exclusively there over the last 34 games.

He lacks the strength and defensive craft to be effective there, and yes he does provide us with much needed rebound, but despite the modern trend of playing attacking, rebounding football, you still have to be able to defend as an individual. Could we stick him in the midfield, or on a wing, where he could use his dash and excellent foot skills to their greatest effect?

Another who seems to be beyond criticism, despite being part of our problem is Roma. Great around the ground, collecting marks and possessions like an extra midfielder, but a liability as a ruckman.

Yes, before BM reminds me how useless a stat the hitouts are, I'm talking about general ruck craft, at which he is one of the worst in the comp.

As a former ruckman myself (not at the elite level but in high grade metro and country leagues for a long time), I always take extra interest in the ruck contests.

The ruckman's job at a stoppage doesn't end with the hitout. You need to use your size to block your opponent's paths, and make it as difficult to get the clearance as is fairly possible. Throw that weight around. Roma is completely useless at that part and I believe part of our problem at stoppages.

In addition, is there any danger that when he does win the rucking contest, he palms the ball to one of our quicker and more skilfull mids instead of grabbing it and launching an up and under mongrel punt to nowhere? You can tell he has rugby in his background. He would've been useful in a lineout, but it is a useless tactic in the AFL. There. Rant complete. Season over. Any thoughts on my critique of our two stars?

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sat 18 May 2024 10:31pm Why not

Sharman subbed off again
Wilson had 18 touches
Caminati kicked 2 goals

Hits and misses

B.M
Saintsational Legend

If you’re going to criticise anyone from tonight

Rowan is actually the last ( out of 46 players) you should go after

Best on Ground

Nick DalSanto Claus
Club Player

I take it your addressing me, BM. I didn't "go after him" at all. I merely pointed out an obvious flaw in his game, which is his lack of ruck craft.

A number of other posters lament his deficiencies in this area, and not a week goes by where several posters don't call for Tom Campbell to be picked, both to shore up our weakness around the stoppage and provide back up for Roma. I believe you might have been one of those posters a couple of times.

Best on ground tonight? I'll concede he was good, especially as in that old fashioned follower type role he excels at.

He is one of my favorites, but I believe there is a gaping hole in his game that must be addressed. His lack of ruck craft probably cost him a spot in the AA team last year.

Read it again, BM. I'm used to you failing to grasp all the nuances of many of the posts on here.

BTW, in your long and no doubt distinguished playing career, did you play as a ruckman? Even if you didn't, I'd be interested to get your assessment of his rucking skills. Not his general football skills, which are top notch, just his ruck craft in isolation. Cheers.

St Dave
Club Player

Nick DalSanto Claus wrote: Sat 18 May 2024 11:42pm Speaking of the youth, I'm a big fan of Nas as he is one of our very few players with the talent to make things happen. He is arguably the most skillful player on our list.

My observations of him over the past season and a half is that he's not a defender's bootlace, yet because Corey said so they've played him there exclusively there over the last 34 games.

He lacks the strength and defensive craft to be effective there, and yes he does provide us with much needed rebound, but despite the modern trend of playing attacking, rebounding football, you still have to be able to defend as an individual. Could we stick him in the midfield, or on a wing, where he could use his dash and excellent foot skills to their greatest effect?

Another who seems to be beyond criticism, despite being part of our problem is Roma. Great around the ground, collecting marks and possessions like an extra midfielder, but a liability as a ruckman.

Yes, before BM reminds me how useless a stat the hitouts are, I'm talking about general ruck craft, at which he is one of the worst in the comp.

As a former ruckman myself (not at the elite level but in high grade metro and country leagues for a long time), I always take extra interest in the ruck contests.

The ruckman's job at a stoppage doesn't end with the hitout. You need to use your size to block your opponent's paths, and make it as difficult to get the clearance as is fairly possible. Throw that weight around. Roma is completely useless at that part and I believe part of our problem at stoppages.

In addition, is there any danger that when he does win the rucking contest, he palms the ball to one of our quicker and more skilfull mids instead of grabbing it and launching an up and under mongrel punt to nowhere? You can tell he has rugby in his background. He would've been useful in a lineout, but it is a useless tactic in the AFL. There. Rant complete. Season over. Any thoughts on my critique of our two stars?
I am coming around to agreeing with this assessment (and posted as much in another thread before seeing this post), while he is clearly one of our best players, I didn't think he makes us a better team. He gets a lot of disposals and gets the ball moving forward, but it is rarely effective. 8 clearances but 0 goal assists and only 4 score involvements (which is any touch in the chain before a score) from his 31 possessions.