Bonner to Hill, Freo goal

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Re: Bonner to Hill, Freo goal

skeptic wrote: Sun 19 May 2024 8:06pm Have gone back and watched the replay…

Kick really wasn’t that bad. Whilst I stand by my earlier post RE kick out pecking order… that one is entirely on Hill.

Kick could have been better sure but it was very markable and wouldn’t constitute a Clanger. Unforced error by Hill and his opponent did get a look in until he dropped it
Your voice of reason prevails Skeppers when all the facts are reviewed without the emotiveness and the filter of objectivity is applied.

Was a dropped mark.

Suggest Hill heard footsteps.

Bonner is suffering the same type of negative attention Howard suffers becaue they both have long ranging kicks in their tool kits that usually are executed with a high efficiency for accuracy which all coaches deploy in the modern game to get the ball over the press. Unfortunately every now and then the riskier kick is turned over. Ross is on the record as saying he encourages his players to take some risks. Strange huh, some fans don't seem to be hearing that.

But Hill dropped that mark.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Sun 19 May 2024 12:13pm Mmmm...this to me is a classic chicken or egg delima.

Yes in the breadbasket would have been easier to mark

But that was a dropped regulation catch at the elite level by a highly skilled player.

Hill stuffed that up for mine.
Hill should have grabbed that mark easily, it was a good kick to him in the clear, no excuse for it, but like so many Saints, is dropping easy marks as they have no clue what they are supposed to be doing as Lyon stuffs around to trying to get things right.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote: Mon 20 May 2024 7:38am
Vortex wrote: Sun 19 May 2024 12:13pm Mmmm...this to me is a classic chicken or egg delima.

Yes in the breadbasket would have been easier to mark

But that was a dropped regulation catch at the elite level by a highly skilled player.

Hill stuffed that up for mine.
Hill should have grabbed that mark easily, it was a good kick to him in the clear, no excuse for it, but like so many Saints, is dropping easy marks as they have no clue what they are supposed to be doing as Lyon stuffs around to trying to get things right.
I agree, there was no excuse for the dropped mark, not sure Hill will be blaming Lyon though.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Sun 19 May 2024 11:54am Hill has credits, Bonner has none.

I think it says a lot when a player who was delisted from one team is now undroppable in yours…
BLAHBLAHBLAH Undroppable what is wrong with you.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
SaintWiki
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Mon 20 May 2024 2:14am I get where you're coming from Moods. It wasn't an absolute shocker of a kick, but how many overhead marks does Hill take per game? That's not his strength is it?

Anyhow... it's one incident. There are dozens of errors we can find in each game... even from some of our better players.

I agree that Hill 'should' have taken the mark...but he has been an unbelievable work horse this year.

The bigger picture tells me that mistakes like that are going to be expected if Hill is asked to do it all.
Besides, when a friend and I re-countered that play episode we both burst out laughing and probably due to self preservation I still see it as very funny indeed.

Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

Those insisting Hill wasn't at fault -- or at least the junior partner in this stuff-up -- might be right, as it's difficult to know for sure if anyone of Hill#s height could have marked Bonner's kick. Nevertheless, Hill has form in this area -- not straining bhimself if the delivery isn't centimetre perfect. It's exactly the sort of attitude that needs to be rooted out. Conversely, when Hill is switched on -- smotrhering kicks and the like -- we almost never lose.

Bottom line is, we overpaid for Hill just a seaon after the disastrous Hannebury trade, giving up Blake Acres, Pick 10, Pick 58, and a future second and fourth round pick. Pick 10 was ultimately used by Melbourne to snag Kysaiah Pickett.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Can't build a premiership side around a 30+ year old.

Hill's benefit is his mentorship and on field coaching.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Waltzing St Kilda wrote: Mon 20 May 2024 6:59pm Those insisting Hill wasn't at fault -- or at least the junior partner in this stuff-up -- might be right, as it's difficult to know for sure if anyone of Hill#s height could have marked Bonner's kick. Nevertheless, Hill has form in this area -- not straining bhimself if the delivery isn't centimetre perfect. It's exactly the sort of attitude that needs to be rooted out. Conversely, when Hill is switched on -- smotrhering kicks and the like -- we almost never lose.

Bottom line is, we overpaid for Hill just a seaon after the disastrous Hannebury trade, giving up Blake Acres, Pick 10, Pick 58, and a future second and fourth round pick. Pick 10 was ultimately used by Melbourne to snag Kysaiah Pickett.
Hill git a fair bit of it, but he wasn't damaging. Turned it over 8 times.

Radar was a bit off...to say the least

Disposal efficiency for Hill was 64%. Remember... he's an outside receiver. Zak Jones and Rowan Marshall had better DE than Brad

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Did Bonner get a 2 year contract?

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.