Contact with an umpire??

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Viking3
Club Player

Contact with an umpire??

With the amount of players and now runners being charged with making contact with an umpire, even if accidental, how does Heath Shaw escape the spotlight and a charge? Showed footage of him giving away a free kick, the umpire standing next to him as he complains and then uses his forearm to push the umpire away. Was a lot more serious than some of these accidental contacts. Oh, I forgot, he plays for Collingwood so it gets overlooked.

Give me one flag & I'll go to my grave a happy man.
brown-coat
SS Hall of Fame

The corruption in the AFL is very deep. Sometimes it's so blatantly obvious and stupid (like this situation) that nobody even bothers.

We just sigh.

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

oh god stop the conspiracy...it was different than being in a game and admittedly it was the wrong action he should surely not get done for anything

with this in mind though the whole touching the umpires thing is beyond a joke

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
Viking3
Club Player

Conspiracy, as you say, aside.

I have seen blokes try to get out of the way of an umpire and get done for the accidental contact. Shaw DELIBERATELY made contact, whether it was to explain something or not. If you can get done for totally accidental how can you escape a sanction for knowing what you were doing??

I too think the whole umpire thing is rubbish, but again they pick and choose when to enforce a rule or not.

Give me one flag & I'll go to my grave a happy man.
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

I haven't seen the vision of this incident. Was it similar to Greg Williams pushing/fending the umpire away that got him an 8 week deregistration?

yipper
SS Life Member

Mr Magic wrote:I haven't seen the vision of this incident. Was it similar to Greg Williams pushing/fending the umpire away that got him an 8 week deregistration?
Almost identical.

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

yipper wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:I haven't seen the vision of this incident. Was it similar to Greg Williams pushing/fending the umpire away that got him an 8 week deregistration?
Almost identical.
no it wasnt...heath shaw meerly attempted to show how he was using his body in a contest that he got done for hands in the back form memory...

no malice or intent towards harming or fending away the umpire instead showing him what happened as was duly confirmed on the replay...

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
yipper
SS Life Member

Saints Premiers 2006 wrote:
yipper wrote:
Almost identical.
no it wasnt...heath shaw meerly attempted to show how he was using his body in a contest that he got done for hands in the back form memory...

no malice or intent towards harming or fending away the umpire instead showing him what happened as was duly confirmed on the replay...
Greg Williams used his arm to get the umpire out of his way. Shaw used his arm to demonstrate his actions. The degree of force was the same - the arm movement was very similar and the intent - although different, was in not maliciuos in BOTH cases.

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

the umps need to get over themself "ooo you cant touch me im the umpire" no wonder they have delussions of grandure !!!

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/