Hawks Fined

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Behind Play
Club Player

Hawks Fined

Hawthorn fined $50000 for videoing the game between Saints and Dogs.

What a load of crap.

n1ck
Saintsational Legend

FIFTY grand?!?!?!

helsy3
Club Player

This is getting to the ridiculous stage - when you can't even video your own players its getting a little too 'Big Brother-ish' for me.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

....so keep those mobiles in your pockets at training kids ;-)

Seriously ludicrous..what are Hawthorn gonna do...release the game on DVD????

However..now that they have been fined..I think that its only fair that we recieve half the money as compensation 8-)

Oh and which game was it, the first or second one? Bloody hell, you couldnt pay me $50,000 to watch that first game back again!

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
stinger
Saintsational Legend

helsy3 wrote:This is getting to the ridiculous stage - when you can't even video your own players its getting a little too 'Big Brother-ish' for me.
they weren't videoing their own players......

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
helsy3
Club Player

what would be the difference between videoing the game on a mobile phone to watching it on tv? Sorry, I think the AFL are getting way too precious.

Snakeman66
Club Player

Re: Hawks Fined

Behind Play wrote:Hawthorn fined $50000 for videoing the game between Saints and Dogs.

What a load of crap.
Wouldn't want to rely on the quality of Channels Sevens coverage would you.

They are still using cameras from the 56 Olympics.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :D :D :D

Don't dwell on the past.
Look to the future.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Behind Play wrote:Hawthorn fined $50000 for videoing the game between Saints and Dogs.

What a load of crap.
It is to protect the millions they get off the TV stations that pay the players and protect the 16 sides. Why is that wrong.

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

What a load of crap.
It is to protect the millions they get off the TV stations that pay the players and protect the 16 sides. Why is that wrong.
Are you serious?
Or are you Dimwit himself??

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Armoooo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

What a load of crap.
Are you serious?
Tell me what I said that is wrong.

Behind Play
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
Armoooo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

What a load of crap.
Are you serious?
So you feel they were going to sell the copy at the local sunday market, which means the AFL don't get their commission.
Really!!!!!!!!!!

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Behind Play wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Armoooo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

What a load of crap.
Are you serious?
So you feel they were going to sell the copy at the local sunday market, which means the AFL don't get their commission.
Really!!!!!!!!!!
That is not the point. It is a condition of the TV agreement that the stations would have wanted so the AFL has to agree or they may have got less for the contract. It is copyright. the hawks would have known about as would any club.

Gabba
SS Hall of Fame

Ahahahahaha. But i would've been seriously pissed if it had happened to St Kilda.

brown-coat
SS Hall of Fame

This is insanely ridiculous.

What a ridiculous rule. Why would the AFL even bother to follow this up? They could agree with the stations BUT THE HELL IS HAWTHORN GOING TO DO WITH THIS FOOTAGE?

We've already established the sheer laughability of them setting up their own rival TV station and showing recorded mobile phone games...err why am i even saying this.

What a laugh.

Juggernaut
Club Player

What I don't understand is how the AFL knew that the Hawks videoed the game

were they trying to hock it on ebay or something :) :)
Its all about profit for the club!

The strength behind you is always greater than the challenge in front of you
Brewer
Club Player

Does anyone have any more info about this or are we all just speculating?

The Hawks website just states they were fined for videotaping the match, and they have agreed to hand back all tapes. Nothing about using a mobile phone or even their own camera.

Even if they just taped it off the TV and were planning on showing it to players for training purposes that still sounds like a breach of copyright to me.

Rules is rules, the AFL has to take action when it is made aware of a breach.

To cop a fine of $50,000 without appeal makes me think there's a bit more to this than meets the eye.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

You would think that what Hawthorn has done has breached the TV Broadcast agreement and therefore the AFL needs to act strongly and quickly.

If you have a party/parties contributing 700+ million (or whatever it is) over 3-5 years there are obviously strict guidelines in place and each club will be well aware of them.

If they have breached the guidelines the penalty is warranted.

You can't have the benefit of the funds from the TV rights and breach the rules.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
SENsei
Saintsational Legend

Wonder what would happen if you secretly videotaped in the coaches box to report back to superiors about the coaches performance?

Wonder if that's ever been done.......

8-)

Poster formerly known as SENsaintsational. More wisdom. More knowledge. Less name.
Brewer
Club Player

SENsaintsational wrote:Wonder what would happen if you secretly videotaped in the coaches box to report back to superiors about the coaches performance?
Not sure if that would really be a problem SSS - it probably contravenes a rule about using cameras at a game but if it were purely for internal purposes I suspect the AFL would grant permission if it were asked. Probably get upset to find out about it afterwards though.

I'm also not sure how clubs legitmately go about using TV footage for training purposes. I imagine they should pay some sort of 'public performance' fee, the same as you would pay to show a DVD to a group of people. The fee is decided by the copyright holder based on the objective of the applicant, how much money they intend to make and how much money they can afford to pay.

I'm sure the channels exist for clubs to use the footage they want, obviously the Hawks went outside those channels and they are now paying the price.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.
SENsei
Saintsational Legend

Brewer wrote:
SENsaintsational wrote:Wonder what would happen if you secretly videotaped in the coaches box to report back to superiors about the coaches performance?
Not sure if that would really be a problem SSS - it probably contravenes a rule about using cameras at a game but if it were purely for internal purposes I suspect the AFL would grant permission if it were asked.
No permission given. It could be a blight on the game, for sure.

Poster formerly known as SENsaintsational. More wisdom. More knowledge. Less name.
golden hawk
Club Player

duffer's didn't realize i suppose that they had to ask , at least it is $25,ooo the rest suspended.

if they had of asked to be on the safe side then there would have been no problem

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

golden hawk wrote:duffer's didn't realize i suppose that they had to ask , at least it is $25,ooo the rest suspended.

if they had of asked to be on the safe side then there would have been no problem
I reckon that the Hawks knew very well that permission would be refused ;-)

Id love to know how they were busted

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
golden hawk
Club Player

saint66au wrote:
golden hawk wrote:duffer's didn't realize i suppose that they had to ask , at least it is $25,ooo the rest suspended.

I reckon that the Hawks knew very well that permission would be refused ;-)

Id love to know how they were busted
AFLguy on sen said all they needed to do was ask reason being is so they know that if an incident occurs eg a reportable offense they can check all camera's and so tv net work knew too , permission would not have been refused they got in trouble cause they did not ask , they were from what i heard in an interview filming what players do behind the goals etc not necessarily the game it's self for training purposes etc your guys can do the same all clubs can as long as they ask first and get permission .

the security camera's caught footage of them and of course afl know all who work at all clubs so they knew who it was and that is how they got caught