Can we beat West Coast

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Shades
Club Player

matrixcutter wrote:the title of this thread wouldnt have been posted by a true supporter.
can we beat them???
geeeeez.

Mate iv been a meember 4 11 years go 2 every game i am a true supporter.

Saints94
SS Life Member

Shady wrote:
matrixcutter wrote:the title of this thread wouldnt have been posted by a true supporter.
can we beat them???
geeeeez.

Mate iv been a meember 4 11 years go 2 every game i am a true supporter.
leave him alone all hes asking for is your opininon :!:

RooandKosi
Club Player

Re: Can we beat West Coast

Shady wrote:Is it true that the drugy, judd and kerr r all out?

if so can we bet them?

P.S.

Bakes was framed
kerr out, cousins got hamstring maybe out and judd well he is stuffed but still dangerous deep forward.

Should beat them we are in pretty good form at home in front of crowd and ALL tom play for!!

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

ball been one of our better players through 06 and 07 despite injuries, and have his head cracked by whelan.

juddikins is a very good player and will still be damaging.

must show him respect and tag him.

perhaps even run him hard and make him accountable, like they do ball.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

I think people are underestimating the depth of WCE's midfield.

They've still got:

Chad Fletcher, Tyson Stenglien, Daniel Chick, Michael Braun, Rowan Jones, Matthew Priddis, Steven Armstrong, Matthew Rosa, Shannon Hurn, Mitch Morton, Mark Le Cras, David Wirrpanda and Brett Jones.

And this assumes both Judd and Cousins are out, in addition to Kerr and Embley.

The difference between them and us is that they have depth which goes down to their 42nd player - we don't.

So yes, they're going to be without some of their heavy hitters, but by god, their second string is as good as most team's A-graders.

Fletcher, Stenglien, Priddis, Chick, Braun, Hurn and Jones are all more than capable of staying with Hayes, Dal Santo, Montagna, Ball, Fiora, Attard and Birss.

Seriously - we'd be deluded to think we've got the edge on them in the midfield. I mean, come on, Attard and Birss? They could get massacred out there.

This is one we'll have to fight to the wire on. Our advantage is in the KPP stakes - but remember they do have Glass, Hunter, Lynch and Hansen, all of whom are quality players.

We'll have to play out of our skin to win it.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

midas_touch
Club Player

evertonfc wrote:I think people are underestimating the depth of WCE's midfield.

They've still got:

Chad Fletcher, Tyson Stenglien, Daniel Chick, Michael Braun, Rowan Jones, Matthew Priddis, Steven Armstrong, Matthew Rosa, Shannon Hurn, Mitch Morton, Mark Le Cras, David Wirrpanda and Brett Jones.

And this assumes both Judd and Cousins are out, in addition to Kerr and Embley.

The difference between them and us is that they have depth which goes down to their 42nd player - we don't.

So yes, they're going to be without some of their heavy hitters, but by god, their second string is as good as most team's A-graders.

Fletcher, Stenglien, Priddis, Chick, Braun, Hurn and Jones are all more than capable of staying with Hayes, Dal Santo, Montagna, Ball, Fiora, Attard and Birss.

Seriously - we'd be deluded to think we've got the edge on them in the midfield. I mean, come on, Attard and Birss? They could get massacred out there.

This is one we'll have to fight to the wire on. Our advantage is in the KPP stakes - but remember they do have Glass, Hunter, Lynch and Hansen, all of whom are quality players.

We'll have to play out of our skin to win it.
Forgot Adam Selwood as well. One thing about the eagles is their midfield depth. Even if Judd, Kerr, Embley and Cousins are out, their midfield can still hold their own against ours. We have gotta be as tough and hard at the footy as though their midfield was full strength.
St. Luke wrote:
They believe Cousins may still line up.

in the game or on the glass table in the lounge?
Rofl. Dan, you are on fire.

Trust the Midas Touch

"My heart is at St.Kilda, I've been here seven years, I only wanted to play for them." (Fraser Gehrig, 27/11/2007)
Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

one thing is we beat them last game when we had a weaker side (assuming, ball and hayes play)

another thiing is you count those players as midfielders, a lot of them may play midfield or run through to midfield but if you are going to classify THOSE players as midfielders then you can count anyone who isn't a KPP or a tall as a midfielder.

they do what we do when we are playing well, everyone runs.

wirrapanda isn't a midfielder, fiora, gram, even s. fisher does more running through the midfied that tha panda.

SHUT UP KRIME!
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

midas_touch wrote:Forgot Adam Selwood as well. One thing about the eagles is their midfield depth. Even if Judd, Kerr, Embley and Cousins are out, their midfield can still hold their own against ours. We have gotta be as tough and hard at the footy as though their midfield was full strength.
Good call - how could I forget him?

People have no idea about how deep their depth goes. I'd kill for it.

We should be raiding them like crazy at trade week.

Mr X from the West
Club Player

Dan Warna wrote:one thing is we beat them last game when we had a weaker side (assuming, ball and hayes play)

another thiing is you count those players as midfielders, a lot of them may play midfield or run through to midfield but if you are going to classify THOSE players as midfielders then you can count anyone who isn't a KPP or a tall as a midfielder.

wirrapanda isn't a midfielder, fiora, gram, even s. fisher does more running through the midfied that tha panda.
Is something wrong with Lenny, Dan?

"Blow out the candle I will burn again tomorrow"
BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

evertonfc wrote: Chad Fletcher, Tyson Stenglien, Daniel Chick, Michael Braun, Rowan Jones, Matthew Priddis, Steven Armstrong, Matthew Rosa, Shannon Hurn, Mitch Morton, Mark Le Cras, David Wirrpanda and Brett Jones.
Fletcher, Stenglien, Priddis, Chick, Braun, Hurn and Jones are all more than capable of staying with Hayes, Dal Santo, Montagna, Ball, Fiora, Attard and Birss
The legend of the West Coast Eagles continues.

I mean no disrespect to those guys when I say they either haven't proven they can, or have proven that they are not up to the standard of Dal Santo, probably of Montagna, and a healthier and healthier Hayes. Last time round Ball spent half the game on Kerr, and kept Kerr out of it. He ought break even with his opponent at least.

People should remember how good Fiora looked in his first game for the Saints vs Richmond, with a belly full of motivation, and surrounded by a healthy Hayes, Dal and Ball. Keep in mind how the Saints have looked when Ball isn't winning the clearances this year, and look what's happened to the Dogs missing Cross' clearance work for a lot of the year. A lot of the Eagles less than stellar follow up to the premiership is about the troubles they've had getting the big three on the park.

As others have mentioned, a lot of those guys aren't mids. As they haven't, the WCE play at Subi, of course they stack up on mids. They handball to high heaven, rack up stats and play with 3 of the best players in the game today, fed by the dominant ruckman.

While nobody should get ahead of themselves (these Saints are hardly world beaters, and are missing players too), the Eagles at the Dome without Kerr, Judd and Cousins are nowhere near the threat they are otherwise, including a lot of the players you mention.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

Mr X from the West wrote:
Dan Warna wrote:one thing is we beat them last game when we had a weaker side (assuming, ball and hayes play)

Is something wrong with Lenny, Dan?
well when I list st kilda's running players, I get shouted down saying they aren't midfielders, if you remember the pre-game arguments I put up prior to round 12.

also I've been arguing that while WCE are a good side, they are no better than us.

they have 1. a home ground advantage 2. a superb midfield.

their backline is suspect, and they need help. Outside glass their backline lacks class in talls dept. wirrapanda can be exposed for pace, although he quite possibly the best kick going around atm (except for goal)

their forward line of lynch and hansen while talented is certainly no where near the quality of Reiwoldt, FG, Milne, etc.

the A team midfield has been beaten.

At one stage, minus cousins, kerr and embley it looked like the might drop out of the 8 as their form plummeted. the addition of cousins, plus kerr overcoming his suspension saw some form return.

WCE are a good side playing with confidence, but they lack a quality backline, they lack a quality forward line and their 'spend' has been on a midfield.

take away 3 or 4 and they are definately vulnerable.

we beat a similar WCE side we are going to meet friday night with a weaker team that we will field (assuming ball and hayes are available)

Im not underestimating WCE, Im just looking at the facts.

we were told we were faicing a Port adelaide 3 peat after they toppled brisbane... sydney and WCE are vulnerable, we beat sydney once, and if not for a lapse in concentration had them on toast the second time.

we were also told we were going to get smashed by freo last week by some posters :D

look we may lose on friday, the bookies say so, but thats because we choose to not play our best game and best efforts.

SHUT UP KRIME!
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

BAM! (shhhh) wrote:
evertonfc wrote: Chad Fletcher, Tyson Stenglien, Daniel Chick, Michael Braun, Rowan Jones, Matthew Priddis, Steven Armstrong, Matthew Rosa, Shannon Hurn, Mitch Morton, Mark Le Cras, David Wirrpanda and Brett Jones.
Fletcher, Stenglien, Priddis, Chick, Braun, Hurn and Jones are all more than capable of staying with Hayes, Dal Santo, Montagna, Ball, Fiora, Attard and Birss

I mean no disrespect to those guys when I say they either haven't proven they can, or have proven that they are not up to the standard of Dal Santo, probably of Montagna, and a healthier and healthier Hayes. Last time round Ball spent half the game on Kerr, and kept Kerr out of it. He ought break even with his opponent at least.

People should remember how good Fiora looked in his first game for the Saints vs Richmond, with a belly full of motivation, and surrounded by a healthy Hayes, Dal and Ball. Keep in mind how the Saints have looked when Ball isn't winning the clearances this year, and look what's happened to the Dogs missing Cross' clearance work for a lot of the year. A lot of the Eagles less than stellar follow up to the premiership is about the troubles they've had getting the big three on the park.

As others have mentioned, a lot of those guys aren't mids. As they haven't, the WCE play at Subi, of course they stack up on mids. They handball to high heaven, rack up stats and play with 3 of the best players in the game today, fed by the dominant ruckman.

While nobody should get ahead of themselves (these Saints are hardly world beaters, and are missing players too), the Eagles at the Dome without Kerr, Judd and Cousins are nowhere near the threat they are otherwise, including a lot of the players you mention.
And so the underestimation of West Coast cotinues...

There's more to the Eagles than Judd, Kerr and Cousins. Let's hope our coaching staff and playing group don't have the same attitude.

We need to be switched on and playing at 100% capacity to be in with a chance.

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:

There's more to the Eagles than Judd, Kerr and Cousins. Let's hope our coaching staff and playing group don't have the same attitude.

its not underestimating them, its analysing them.

they can be and have been defeated.

I point to the evidence of us beating them earlier this season.

concur we have to be switched on playing our best footy to do so though.

SHUT UP KRIME!
BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

evertonfc wrote:
BAM! (shhhh) wrote:

Of course there's more to the Eagles than the big 3. My issue is with rating any eagles midfielder (with the possible exception of Fletcher, who was there last year, and isn't this year) as being from the top shelf, and hence ahead of all of our midfielders. Priddis has had some great games, but IMO hasn't proven via consistency and being the go-to man that he's there, Stenglein is IMO one of the best 2-way (i.e. if he has a man, he's very good at beating a top shelf midfielder one on one, but that's through reducing opponent output while still contibuting himself) guys around, but hardly a guy respond to. Braun, Hurn and Jones are all good players, but in the absense of the big 3, are guys you hope will fill in rather than assume it.

I agree 100% that the Saints need to bring their A game to beat the Eagles regardless. However, were all 3 to miss (which is probably hypothetical anyway), the Saints midfield at Telstra Dome playing said A game should be able to handle the job. The biggest question mark would be Cox.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
brown-coat
SS Hall of Fame

Of course we can beat west coast.

OF BLOODY COURSE.

I have absolutely no fear of them.

Mr X from the West
Club Player

Daniel Chick did not get on the flight to MEL and will NOT PLAY.

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

Mr X from the West wrote:Daniel Chick did not get on the flight to MEL and will NOT PLAY.
did he hear that ADSA testers were on the flight?

SHUT UP KRIME!
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

Dan Warna wrote:
Mr X from the West wrote:Daniel Chick did not get on the flight to MEL and will NOT PLAY.
did he hear that ADSA testers were on the flight?
chick still out with broken larinx
kerr finger was good enuff to play out the year but kerr opted to have the surgery (a few of the eagles officals were a little peeved off to that fact)
cuz will play as i said last week he was going to miss either the rich game or ours not both the eagles obviously though it was a less risk game aginst the tigs
Judd is a day to day prospect if he feels goo on the day he will play if he doesnt he will withdraw from the game (he will not get a jab b4 the game only during a game if needed )

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Even If Judd plays he is most unlikely to be the damaging Judd that we know he can be...

His output has dropped significantly...

Description

Date Opponent Result Kicks Hbl Disp Marks Goals Bhd Tkl HO FF FA Dream
Round 19 12th Aug Kangaroos Win 119-102 7 4 11 3 1 3 2 0 0 1 52
Round 18 5th Aug Fremantle Loss 97-124 6 8 14 0 0 0 1 1 1 0 40
Round 17 27th Jul Western Bulldogs Win 158-71 10 10 20 2 2 1 2 0 0 1 74
Round 16 21st Jul Sydney Win 112-100 13 8 21 1 2 0 6 0 1 1 92
Round 15 14th Jul Port Adelaide Loss 62-153 6 5 11 2 0 0 1 0 1 1 36
Round 14 7th Jul Brisbane Loss 64-91 17 18 35 6 0 0 2 0 1 1 111
Round 11 8th Jun Essendon Loss 94-95 7 19 26 0 1 0 1 0 2 0 71
Round 10 2nd Jun Kangaroos Win 121-55 13 7 20 1 2 0 5 0 1 2 83
Round 9 26th May Hawthorn Loss 64-99 15 11 26 1 0 0 8 0 1 1 100
Round 8 20th May Melbourne Win 137-60 19 12 31 0 3 3 2 0 0 1 107
Round 7 13th May Geelong Loss 70-109 15 14 29 4 1 0 6 0 0 1 112
Round 6 5th May Western Bulldogs Win 77-62 21 13 34 2 1 2 6 0 3 1 127
Round 5 28th Apr Richmond Win 99-76 11 10 21 0 0 1 6 0 2 0 80
Round 4 22nd Apr Carlton Win 100-39 20 15 35 3 0 0 2 0 0 0 107
Round 3 14th Apr Fremantle Win 101-70 14 11 25 5 1 2 3 0 2 0 101
Round 2 7th Apr Collingwood Win 87-75 16 13 29 2 2 1 2 0 3 0 104
Round 1 31st Mar Sydney Win 74-73 18 9 27 1 2 0 4 0 4 5 92

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Shady wrote: Bakes was framed
Camera operators would strongly disagree with you there :?

Mr X from the West
Club Player

Worsfold said yesterday that Cousins still has pain in his hamtsrings and I think taking him to MEL was part hope and part ruse. I doubt that he'll play.

I don't think they'll risk Judd.

The other interesting Worsfold statement was they "... are concentrating on the finals". Reading between the lines, I think they're aiming to win next week and secure a Top 4 spot...I think they've given up on a Top 2 spot.

Having said that, they will still be tough to beat even without Judd, Kerr, Cousins, Embley and Chick. Cox is a fantastic ruckman and could tear a hole in us if we don't plan for him.

OneEyedSainter77
SS Life Member

Sainternist wrote:
Shady wrote: Bakes was framed
Camera operators would strongly disagree with you there :?
well said..

FWIW, I reckon if we go in hard and never give up we've got a huge chance of winning this game. I've been confident of it since Saturday, and I still think we've got a good chance. t won't be easy, but we certainly CAN do it.....

Lynch Beast
Club Player

They've still got:

In bold are the ones that are either in form or at least capable of hurting the opposition at the moment

Chick & Armstrong are out with injuries

out midfield (our one real strength) is decimated with injuries to our stars

saints by 6+ goals

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

Lynch Beast wrote:

They've still got:

In bold are the ones that are either in form or at least capable of hurting the opposition at the moment

Chick & Armstrong are out with injuries

out midfield (our one real strength) is decimated with injuries to our stars

saints by 6+ goals
i think given relative talent lynch beast that should be a win a to st kilda, but we have inexplicably self destructed a couple of times.

we managed to hold out in a couple but sydney, collingwood and western are games we gave away the lead.

IMO if we bring our A game and A attitude we will win, if we dont, meh the doggies could over run us.

i am not gonna wish your team luck during hte game :D Im selfish :D

SHUT UP KRIME!
OneEyedSainter77
SS Life Member

Geez, Lynch Beast, predicting us by 6+ goals, that;'s a side of you I'm not used to. :lol: :lol:

btw, the poster before missed out Selwood, would he be another bolded player.

Plus remember you guys tore us a new one last time we played here.

Saints by 8 points (even though i predicted 463 points on the margin thing)