Was at the game...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Jewellzy
Club Player

Was at the game...

Hey guys, long time lurker, first time poster.

Was at the game tonight and as you can imagine, am a very disappointed Saints fan. We had them on the ropes, but couldn't deliver the knockout blow.

Lenny was pretty much back to his best, Riewoldt was unbelievable, Joey continued his great form that should have him in All-Australian contention, Fiora was handy (Apart from his two costly misses) and Koschitzke battled hard all night.

BUT...

Gram hurt us with poor disposal, S-Fish can't be fully relied upon to be a key defender, Dal Santo didn't do enough (His most important possesion of the game and he holds up the ball and turns it over with his right foot, WTF?)

These guys are all fantastic players, but probably let us down tonight. Although being the stars they are, they'll bounce back. If Max and Goose can stay healthy and hold down the key defensive roles, Sam Fisher will definitely be All-Australian next year. I really like how he's worked to be an integral part of this side.

Raph Clarke is not an AFL calibre player. That lackluster, half-hearted crap might've got the job done in U/18's, but it won't fly in the big leagues. He needs to go. Poor decision making skills and I really don't even think he's that quick.

I used to work for the Werribee Football Club back when Cross, Gilbee, Boyd and McMahon were running around and I always rated Shane Birss. This game shows that he probably just isn't upto this standard of footy. Tough as nails, but too many mistakes. Attard was OK, ashame he got injured, ditto X. Clarke.

Baker and Banger would've made a big difference in this game. Make no mistake about it. We sorely lacked midfield depth. But I guess the Eagles had key outs and were able to cope.

Hats off to the Eagles, Cousins 2nd half was one of the most dominant displays of fooball I've ever seen, Cox is that much better than any other ruckman it's not even funny and that Priddis ain't bad either.

Heaps more I can say (Gehrig, delist Blake, how awesome is Gilbert..etc) but I'll save it for another day.

I still have hopes for the finals, but I'm not holding my breath.

GO SAINTS!

The Phoenix Suns and St.Kilda Saints should have at least 5 championships between them since their sudden surge to elite status in 2004.

Actual championships: 0
Seaford_Saint
Club Player

Jewellzy - welcome - clearly the best first post i've ever read....

Failure cannot succeed in the face of persistence......
stinger
Saintsational Legend

you rated birss...and don't rate ralph.......says it all really..... :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

.....apart from that ...great first up post.........

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Good first up post mate...but can't agree on Joey...I thought he was pretty ordinary tonight...and missed that goal in the last qtr that he just had to kick.

Nee!
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

You're welcome to post here any time of day...

Some very valid points and a lot to think about.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

widereceiver
Club Player

agree with everything except Joey.

"Winning's not everything, it's the ONLY thing!" Vince Lombardi.
Sam Gilbert #1 booster - always on the attack!!!
Win more for Winmar
n1ck
Saintsational Legend

Fantastic first up post, well thought out and articulated.

Welcome to saintsational.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Yes agreed..a great first post with good observations and well made points.

Welcome aboard.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Excellent first post and welcome.

I thought Raph was close to our best player in the 1st quarter. Used the ball well out of defence and found lots of space. X was excellent til injured.

Agree on Dal, lazy game IMHO.

Gilbo will be a star when he balances himself properly when kicking. At the moment he's over stretching when running and his kicks suffer as a result. The tackle on Judd was one for the ages that he'll be telling his grandkids about :-)

Thought Ferg did enough to keep his spot..a gimme now Attard is out.

Roo..freak.

Lenny. Best game since his knee op by a mile. Would hardly have won a clearance without him.

Fizz and Grammy..OK games which would have been very good games had they not turned the ball over without pressure twice each that I remember

Milney. Was OK bar one Milney brainfade special. Spots up targets inside 50 prolly better than anyone in the side atm

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
GRAMophone
Club Player

Good to hear from you Jewellzy. Can be lonely being a saints supporter in the western suburbs can't it??

HOPELESSLY DEVOTED
midas_touch
Club Player

Good first post. Agree with most things, except for Joey, who failed to impose himself on the game imo. Welcome to saintsational, from another western suburbs supporter :).

Trust the Midas Touch

"My heart is at St.Kilda, I've been here seven years, I only wanted to play for them." (Fraser Gehrig, 27/11/2007)
Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

good point ala gram's disposal...at times it clearly is not good enough

at times he can run but thats pretty much it

and sam fisher's defensive skills have to improve a fair margin one would think as he has been exposed too often when playing a key defensive post

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
Nick_Dal_Santo = ChAmPiOn
Club Player

as much as i love the bloke, sum1 please teach gilbert how to kick properly :twisted: :twisted:

if he knew how to kick a drop punt, he would be a superstar!

Brewer
Club Player

Not sure I agree about Gram. I think he was very important to us last night and has been for a few weeks. He is generally a good 'go to' player and can usually be counted on to do something constructive with the ball.

That said, I think the whole team has a problem with things like decision making and accuracy. And I think that is largely due to the lack of a consistent playing group. Our injuries and experiments have forced us to make on-ground partnerships that haven't had time to mature.

If you look at the best AFL teams, they can predict each others moves and pull off those little tricks like the quick 1-2-1 handpasses and the predictive shepherding that we struggle to execute. I think our list is a good one but it is yet to 'gel' into a premiership winning team.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.
Jewellzy
Club Player

It seemed to me that Joey was the only one who seemed to be getting the ball at good pace and running the lines. Although his turnover in the last quarter was shocking.

Gram was good lastnight, but like I said, some of his critical kicking errors hurt us. He is a very smart footballer, but for someone whose game is all about running off halfback and precision kicking, these mistakes really hurt us in big games.

I am a big supporter of Milney. He is a fantastic kicker of the ball on both sides. From the wing he spotted up Gram in the centre off one step just over the outstretched arms of an Eagles player. Risky kick, but he pulled it off. Also Dal Santo's handball to Roo in the last quarter was fantastic. It's ashame Roo didn't finish, but I'm hardly going to fault him for that. Riewoldt was awe-inspiring lastnight. Adam Hunter is a very good defender and has a big motor, but Roo was just too much for him. If he ever went down we'd be in alot of trouble. It's not simply a case of slotting another key forward in his place. Nobody on our team (possibly the league) does what he does.

The Phoenix Suns and St.Kilda Saints should have at least 5 championships between them since their sudden surge to elite status in 2004.

Actual championships: 0
riccardo
Saintsational Legend

You people must have been watching a different game in regards to Grams disposal.

I admit he did turn it over, but no more than other players and his delivery into the forward line set up more than a few of our goals.

When you have the ball 75 meters out and everyone is marked up (Riewoldt didn't lead half as much or as effectively as he should have) you tell me where you would put the bloody ball? Into space, or down an opponants throat?