Matthew Lappin retires

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Matthew Lappin retires

MELBOURNE, Aug 29 AAP - Carlton veteran Matthew Lappin has announced his retirement from the AFL effective immediately.

Lappin, 31, played 251 games for St Kilda and the Blues mainly as a half forward.

Lappin said it was the right time to bow out as Carlton were headed in a new direction under new coach Brett Ratten.

-------------

All the best to the fella. Wish he had of stayed with us, but he went on to do very well at Carlton.

That makes it three ex-Saints who've retired this year...Everitt and Hall, you're next in the gun ;)

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

The Saintsational Man
Club Player

Still to this day wish we could've somehow kept him.....he was a great player

n1ck
Saintsational Legend

Who are the three?

Lappin, Wakelin and... ???

St DAC
SS Hall of Fame

Knobel.

SaintWodonga
Club Player

Good luck to the Chiltern boy. Was sorry when he left.

Tony Lockett kicks 10 goals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v4ZQJHjlvM
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Very erratic with us but capable of brilliant things - vs Sydney in 1997, for example.

I hated the way he turned it over willy-nilly but felt he always had potential...

Joel Smith is another who's bound to be on his way out in the next year or two.

Throw in Heath Black, Matthew Carr and Brent Guerra, and we've had some serious talent on our list that's gone elsewhere for very little in the past decade.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Re: Matthew Lappin retires

evertonfc wrote:MELBOURNE, Aug 29 AAP - Carlton veteran Matthew Lappin has announced his retirement from the AFL effective immediately.

Lappin, 31, played 251 games for St Kilda and the Blues mainly as a half forward.

Lappin said it was the right time to bow out as Carlton were headed in a new direction under new coach Brett Ratten.

-------------

All the best to the fella. Wish he had of stayed with us, but he went on to do very well at Carlton.

That makes it three ex-Saints who've retired this year...Everitt and Hall, you're next in the gun ;)
yep...love seeing ex sainters retire...pisses me off to watch them.....love to see smith bite the bullet too.......

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
saintsrus
SS Hall of Fame

This proves Carlton are tanking, whats the point in playing (for lappin)

Great career Laps, I apologise for our supporters that booed you to get back at the Carlton supporters booing Hamill

Before Im 85
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

saintsrus wrote:This proves Carlton are tanking, whats the point in playing (for lappin)
wash your mouth out!!

If you believe Dimwit & KB tanking DOESN'T HAPPEN!

How many times do I need to say this?

Isn't it obvious that it doesn't occur?

....it's just pure coincidence re Lappin!

Did anyone else hear that both Carlton and Melbourne wanted this weekend's game exempt from the Priority Pick rules so they could both then strive to win.....true story!

So what you think now Dimwit you fool????

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Solar
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
saintsrus wrote:This proves Carlton are tanking, whats the point in playing (for lappin)
wash your mouth out!!

If you believe Dimwit & KB tanking DOESN'T HAPPEN!

How many times do I need to say this?

Isn't it obvious that it doesn't occur?

....it's just pure coincidence re Lappin!

Did anyone else hear that both Carlton and Melbourne wanted this weekend's game exempt from the Priority Pick rules so they could both then strive to win.....true story!

how funny a game would that be, bring off players and forget to send new ones on, play all your players not in the defending 50 but attacking 50 LOL
"no, no, you can have the ball"...... "no, you have it"

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Lappin was a good player for us, and typically stood out in most of the Blues games I have endured in recent years (although, to be fair, that wouldn't be hard).

I agree that, if I were a bookie, I would see this announcement as grounds for further lowering the odds on a Demons win.

Personally, I think it's a disgrace that they are so obsessed with getting their bloody draft picks that they aren't prepared to put on a decent show for Lappin or for their supporters.

I hope they choose nothing but duds.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Unforgiven
SS Life Member

Unless he is injured why wouldnt you just play out the last afl game of the season for fun. Influences above unfortunatly.

Carpe Diem
Liam_G
Club Player

Saint Corin wrote:Unless he is injured why wouldnt you just play out the last afl game of the season for fun. Influences above unfortunatly.
He IS injured. Was a late withdrawal for their match against the Kangaroos last week and will miss this weeks match with the same injury. He hurt his back at home the morning of the match last week.

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

lappin > trianides

brown > francis

young > delany

that is all.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
Unforgiven
SS Life Member

Good on Lappin for a solid carrer, was a pretty classy act, and was awsome in 04. I remember in a raindy day in 04 I think it was he took essendon apart single handedly.

Carpe Diem
TheBabyBlues
Club Player

saintspremiers wrote:Did anyone else hear that both Carlton and Melbourne wanted this weekend's game exempt from the Priority Pick rules so they could both then strive to win.....true story!

Deny deny deny. Dimwits head is so full of sand now that he cant hear the entire AFL world calling for his head and the renegotiation of this priority pick situation/farce.

Yes Lappin IS injured, as mentioned he has a dodgy back.

It is a shame because skinny does deserve a good send off. He has been one of our most consistent players over the dark years.

Also one of the few Carlton players that gets any kind of respect from Saints supporters. Ironic how he appears more loved since coming to us than he did while he was with you. :?:

riccardo
Saintsational Legend

Great career Laps, I apologise for our supporters that booed you to get back at the Carlton supporters booing Hamill
Don't presume to speak for me.

I booed him, and am not ashamed for doing so. It was NOT to get back at Carlton, it was because I boo every ex-Saint, whatever the reason for leaving.

Maybe I'm too one-eyed for my own good, but I'll do what I damn well please.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

i save my boos for the ex saints who deserve it
namely Hall and Black the others i dont care enuff about to warrant booing them

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
stinger
Saintsational Legend

TheBabyBlues wrote:.

Also one of the few Carlton players that gets any kind of respect from Saints supporters. Ironic how he appears more loved since coming to us than he did while he was with you. :?:
feel really sorry for him...having to endure so many years playing in a crap team, for a crap club with a dud coach.......poor bastard...i bet he is glad the nightmare is over...

don't kid yourself, numbnuts...he was a much loved player......

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

riccardo wrote:

I booed him, and am not ashamed for doing so. It was NOT to get back at Carlton, it was because I boo every ex-Saint, whatever the reason for leaving.

Umm...what about James Begley, who asked to be released from the Club to return to Adelaide to be with his family and the family of his best mate, killed in the Bali bombings??

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

riccardo wrote:I booed him, and am not ashamed for doing so. It was NOT to get back at Carlton, it was because I boo every ex-Saint, whatever the reason for leaving.

That's a bit harsh about Lappin...We sacked him! Hardly his fault...if you want to boo someone for that then boo the decsion makers of the time.

I think Dan's post alluded to the era and the "talent" we got to replace him.

fonz_#15
SS Life Member

saint66au wrote:
riccardo wrote:

Umm...what about James Begley, who asked to be released from the Club to return to Adelaide to be with his family and the family of his best mate, killed in the Bali bombings??
but he's still an ex saint so he desrves to be booed :roll:

Robert Harvey- Simply the best
my les foote
Club Player

saint66au wrote:
It sounded like a convenient excuse for someone who didn't want to play for the Saints.

Win it for HIM!
saint patrick
Saintsational Legend

Best of luck Matty... :wink:

One of the 3 I didn't want to leave and believe could have made a significant difference in the last few years...

The 3 ...Lappin , Smith and Black.

Never take a backward step even to gain momentum.....

'It's OK to have the capabilities and abilities, but you've got to get it done." Terry Daniher 05

"We have beauty in our captain and we have a true leader in our coach. Our time will come"
Thinline.Post 09 Grand final.
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

TheBabyBlues wrote:
? I liked him when he was with us and was sad to see him go to the cheating rabble, either way congrats to Lappin on a good career.