sheldon.....

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

stinger
Saintsational Legend

sheldon.....

i am starting to get really worried that this fool is in charge of our contract negotiations and possible player trades.....

......he and hudson sold out on our future last time he was in such a powerful position......

...he will do the same again......imhfo...... :evil: :evil: :evil:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
aussierules0k
Saintsational Legend

Last edited by aussierules0k on Tue 23 Jun 2009 5:28am, edited 1 time in total.

Carl Mynott
Club Player

Re: sheldon.....

stinger wrote:i am starting to get really worried that this fool is in charge of our contract negotiations and possible player trades.....

......he and hudson sold out on our future last time he was in such a powerful position......

Maybe he did sellout...

My memory tells me they had a penchant for recruiting duds in their desperation to win a flag with the core group of STAR players they had at the time..................they failed.........and were removed......

:P

The more things change the more they stay the same
stinger
Saintsational Legend

aok...not good on history, mate...????.thought you were......

...get one of those afl record books and go back through what draft picks the pr!cks traded ...and who they recruited...they were after the quick fix...but put us back several years until alves came on the scene......

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Re: sheldon.....

Carl Mynott wrote:
stinger wrote:i am starting to get really worried that this fool is in charge of our contract negotiations and possible player trades.....

Maybe he did sellout...

My memory tells me they had a penchant for recruiting duds in their desperation to win a flag with the core group of STAR players they had at the time..................they failed.........and were removed......

:P

correct....but now he has wormed his way back in......

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

What is the connection between Sheldon, Nylex & St Kilda? !!

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:What is the connection between Sheldon, Nylex & St Kilda? !!

i have no idea......what is the connection?????

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
Eastern wrote:What is the connection between Sheldon, Nylex & St Kilda? !!

i have no idea......what is the connection?????
It wasn't a retorical question. I know he was employed by Nylex before he came back to St KFC. Nylex have been sponsors for a long time. I also think that someone from Nylex is/was on our Board !!

Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

Glenn Casey is our other Vice-President, and was CEO of Nylex for a while.

A Butterss man ...

It's ironic with Sheldon ...

When he first came to the club as coach, everyone at St Kilda lauded him for his "professionalism".

Now he is being criticised for not being competent and professional enough.

IMO he just seems out of his depth. Maybe he could coach on matchday, but in terms of understanding list management, contracts, recruiting, injury management etc. (the roles of a Football Operations Manager), he doesn't seem to be overly competent.

Maybe I mis-read things ...

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Could it be that;

You can take the boy out of Mitiamo, but

You can't take the Mitiamo out of the boy !!

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Oh When the Saints wrote:Glenn Casey is our other Vice-President, and was CEO of Nylex for a while.

A Butterss man ...

It's ironic with Sheldon ...

When he first came to the club as coach, everyone at St Kilda lauded him for his "professionalism".

Now he is being criticised for not being competent and professional enough.

IMO he just seems out of his depth. Maybe he could coach on matchday, but in terms of understanding list management, contracts, recruiting, injury management etc. (the roles of a Football Operations Manager), he doesn't seem to be overly competent.

Maybe I mis-read things ...

no you got it right....here are some of the answers for you and eastern taken from an article in today's herald sun....

"Casey is a partner of Butterss in the Transition Group, a consultancy firm which re-structures businesses.

He formerly worked at Nylex, as did Saints football manager Ken Sheldon. Ray King, a St Kilda director, was chairman of Nylex.

Casey and Sheldon began being paid by St Kilda soon after they finished at Nylex.

The Transition Group recently became involved with Concept Sports, a public company run by Richmond Football Club president Gary March.

Casey has been appointed a director of Concept Sports and another St Kilda director's wife is among the top 20 shareholders.

To add even more intrigue to the St Kilda links with Concept Sports, former St Kilda president Andrew Plympton has been appointed chairman of the company, and St Kilda's former chief operating officer James Van Beek left the club this year to work at Concept Sports.

"I am a shareholder (of Concept Sports), my company provides services to that business, at arm's length and an independent basis," Butterss said.

"Andrew Plympton, a respected businessman around town, was brought on by their directors, not by me or not by Glen."

Casey and Butterss authorised the appointment of Sheldon as Saints' football consultant in September last year. Casey told Sheldon he would be paid about $50,000 for three months work.

It has been claimed to the Herald Sun that Sheldon's contract was not put to a vote by the St Kilda board.

"Not true," Butterss said.

Asked if Casey had too great a role in Sheldon's appointment, given they had worked together at Nylex, Butterss said: "Glen left Nylex, I think Ken left of his own volition, he is a three-time premiership player, a former AFL coach, he is a former manager, he was an ideal choice and I would be very disappointed if there was any suggestion other than that as to why that appointment was made," Butterss said.

Sheldon subsequently was employed fulltime, despite ongoing questions about his ability to handle football department matters and also his difficulty with meeting many facets outlined in the job specification-criteria identified by the board.

This year, it became apparent to some in the club, Sheldon was struggling to deal with the contracts of players.

The Steven Baker tribunal case, where the Saints' tagger copped a seven-week suspension when he effectively admitted instigating contact with Docker Jeff Farmer, was embarrassingly handled.

Levin, a lawyer, was furious he was not consulted to deal with the case, as he had been for the past 10 years.'

...i personally was furious when the club re-employed him........i am friendly with pple very close to him.......first time around he mixed with them along with hudson to the exclusion of the players and real saints pple...... arsehole if you ask me...and still a true blue at heart if you are to believe an interview he gave before becoming involved with the saints again.....

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

So how many Saints players have not been re-signed?????

Has Sheldon...like the last several year....expended so much of the salary cap that there will be no room for a traded player of any value....ie someone like Jolly for example?

IF all the players do in fact re-sign....and If there is room in the salary cap to aquire a player......will Sheldon be deemed to have done a bad job or a good job?

No arguement though that the Baker defence was a stuff up.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
stinger
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:So how many Saints players have not been re-signed?????

Has Sheldon...like the last several year....expended so much of the salary cap that there will be no room for a traded player of any value....ie someone like Jolly for example?

IF all the players do in fact re-sign....and If there is room in the salary cap to aquire a player......will Sheldon be deemed to have done a bad job or a good job?

No arguement though that the Baker defence was a stuff up.

means nothing ..imhfo...these players were never going anywhere...they were prepared to sign notwithstanding that each one could have doubled their income by going elsewhere,.....so why the demeaning comings and goings and penny pinching by the club.......or by sheldon in particular....because he is not up to the job ..????and is more concerned with serving his own interests rather than acting for the good of the club and its long term sustained success......

...anyway...we can agree to disagree.....

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

who would you replace sheldon with stinger? excluding past people in that position....

Not having a dig just thinking about a replacement.

Bono
Club Player

If the search feature on tis site worked, you would be able to dig up my posts from October last season when Sheldon got appointed. His mate Glen Casey got him to the Club. What was written this morning in the Herald-Sun was correct - the $$ he got. Regarding contracts - when he did Milnes, he didnt read it properly and Milne got the best deal he's ever had at the Club. The article this morning should also have explained how he oversaw the transition of the Recruiting Managers and burnt the best candidates available and eventually had to approach John Peake at Geelong FC despite him not even applying for the job.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

ausfatcat wrote:who would you replace sheldon with stinger? excluding past people in that position....

...i'm not sure......but....

what about robert shaw..... :wink: :wink:

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
ausfatcat wrote:who would you replace sheldon with stinger? excluding past people in that position....

...i'm not sure......but....

what about robert shaw..... :wink: :wink:
Who does it Essendon?

The new coach there most probably would like to bring in his own people?

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

I would love robert shaw........ He would be great in just about any role. Would we be able to get him thou?

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Yes shaw would be good.

But is he actually leaving Freo??

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
stinger
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:Yes shaw would be good.

But is he actually leaving Freo??
well...he and ross are mates...he will be coming eventually i believe...if not next year ..the one after.....

Saint Bev
SS Life Member

I am confused, he is being criticised for not resigning players, but who hasn't he re-signed?

Qld Saints Supporter Group
Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

Bono wrote:If the search feature on tis site worked, you would be able to dig up my posts from October last season when Sheldon got appointed. His mate Glen Casey got him to the Club. What was written this morning in the Herald-Sun was correct - the $$ he got. Regarding contracts - when he did Milnes, he didnt read it properly and Milne got the best deal he's ever had at the Club. The article this morning should also have explained how he oversaw the transition of the Recruiting Managers and burnt the best candidates available and eventually had to approach John Peake at Geelong FC despite him not even applying for the job.
I remember the posts and what was said about the Milne contract.

Concerning re: the recruiting manager.

Hopefully Peake is up to the job.

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
SENsei
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote: ...i personally was furious when the club re-employed him........i am friendly with pple very close to him.......first time around he mixed with them along with hudson to the exclusion of the players and real saints pple...... arsehole if you ask me...and still a true blue at heart if you are to believe an interview he gave before becoming involved with the saints again.....
Geez stinger, do you know Ken personally to call him an arsehole? You know people who know him.....heresay really.

I know him personally. Terrific bloke, but out of his depth I'd say at the present.

Poster formerly known as SENsaintsational. More wisdom. More knowledge. Less name.
spert
Saintsational Legend

Clearly to some on here, Sheldon doesn't know much about footy after being a premiership player in a successful club, then coming down and playing servicable footy with us, also being a coach etc etc. I remember back when Sheldon took on the coaching role, we finally got into a final after years in the wilderness, the overall quality of the team went up and it felt pretty good to me as a supporter. We probably would have gone further in the finals had the finals system at the time not worked against when we lost to Geelong..plus Geelong targeted a couple of our key players with heavy knocks. I've got no problems with Sheldon or even Alves as coaches etc..I think its a pity the board then let the tail wag the dog and didn't show 100% faith in those two in their times as coach. Nuff said, lets look forward to 2008.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

SENsaintsational wrote:
stinger wrote: ...i personally was furious when the club re-employed him........i am friendly with pple very close to him.......first time around he mixed with them along with hudson to the exclusion of the players and real saints pple...... arsehole if you ask me...and still a true blue at heart if you are to believe an interview he gave before becoming involved with the saints again.....
Geez stinger, do you know Ken personally to call him an arsehole? You know people who know him.....heresay really.

I know him personally. Terrific bloke, but out of his depth I'd say at the present.

he's out of his depth...you are correct....yes, i know him personally...but not that well.....
Last edited by stinger on Sun 09 Sep 2007 12:05pm, edited 1 time in total.