Brooks, watts, raymond , Sweene CONFIRMED as gone. OFFICIAL.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Davo027
Club Player

Just to clarify..

As I understand it : Barry Brooks, Phil Raymond, Justin Sweeney and Fergus Watts have been delisted from the senior list. We thank these players for their time and would like to wish them all the very best for the future.

2007 Rookie James Wall has not been offered another contract.

Jarryn Geary and Clinton Jones have been elevated to the Saints 2008 senior side, while Jayden Attard, Robert Eddy and Luke van Rheenen have been retained on the 2008 Rookie list.
Last edited by Davo027 on Wed 17 Oct 2007 1:21pm, edited 1 time in total.

For more info www.saints.com.au

The above views are those of the author and not necessarily those of the clubs or the AFL.
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Thanks Davo027

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

wrt rookies:

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/h ... 93775.html

This Age article says: "Justin Sweeney and Phillip Raymond have been delisted, while rookies Jayden Attard and Clinton Jones have been elevated."

So that's pretty straightforward. That means if the delistings are Watts and Brooks:

4 delisted + 5 retired - 4 in trades - 2 promotions = 3 spots up for grabs

Which isn't really enough, I want 4 free spots so we've got the option of the pre-season draft, and three kids in the national.

McQualter has to be the other one to go. 23 games in 3 years isn't a stellar return. He just needs too much improvement to actually ever be a player. He can't find it, isn't quick enough or hard enough, and isn't that good with it when he gets it. Sorry kid, but it's over for ya. Does anyone seriously think he'll turn it around in 08 if he gets a chance?

A little unlucky with injury, admittedly, but Brooks is never going to be a consistent player. He's had his chances and never quite taken them. I'd far rather Rix on the list. Week in, week out you know exactly what you're gonna get from the male model - yeah, he's limited, but he goes hard enough and, importantly, is consistent.

Watts is the sort of player (Lance Whitnall-type) who's gonna find it hard in the next few years. I mean, Frase was the same player but a class above Watts, and he found it hard enough recently with good full backs and slow ball movement and defensive flooding. More often than not the ball's gonna hit the ground and Watts is a sight worse than Frase was on the ground. There's not always a Milne or Schneider around to mop up.

And to those questioning Raymond - he played 5 Casey games this year, and 14 for Casey Reserves. At 20 years old, this speaks for itself.

Good riddance to all - thanks for your service, but you're not good enough: Brooks, Watts, Sweeney, Raymond and, hopefully, McQualter.

Next year?

Retirements: Harvey, Hudghton.

Delistings - plenty of deadwood left on this list:
- Clinton Jones for sure, unless he magically learns how to kick.
- Howard, unless he's much better than he looks.
- Rix, if Gardiner M and King can both stand up next year.
- Gardiner M, if he can't get fit.
- Gardiner C, unless by some miracle he learns to play.
- Birss if he doesn't keep improving.
- Ferguson, unless he gets very lucky and gets a chance in key defence this year.
- Gwilt, unless he gets very lucky and gets a chance in key defence this year
- Dempster, if he's very unlucky, but I doubt it.

suss
Club Player

Jarryn Geary and Clinton Jones have been elevated to the Saints 2008 senior side, while Jayden Attard, Robert Eddy and Luke van Rheenen have been retained on the 2008 Rookie list.
I'm wrapped we kept Geary. I didn't see any Casey games this year but heard some on the radio and he sounds like a go-er. :)

Thanks Davo027.

n1ck
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:This Age article says: "Justin Sweeney and Phillip Raymond have been delisted, while rookies Jayden Attard and Clinton Jones have been elevated."
Id trust Davo over anything in the papers...

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Davo027 wrote:Just to clarify..

As I understand it : Barry Brooks, Phil Raymond, Justin Sweeney and Fergus Watts have been delisted from the senior list. We thank these players for their time and would like to wish them all the very best for the future.

2007 Rookie James Wall has not been offered another contract.

Thanks Davo.

Great news.....and makes sense.

Jones possibly did not fully justify elevation BUT to keep him you had to elevate him.

Attard no doubt would have been if he was not injured. This way makes a slot available for another player. Hopefully they will pay Jaden what he would have be on IF he had been elevated. He ceratainly put in during 2007.

This still gives us 3 new Rookies while rewarding those who have put in.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
HarveysDeciple

Just on Howard.

Fair enough he hasn't carved it up this year but he is being branded pretty harshly only because of the fact he was a perceived smokey at pick 30.

Played a couple of games (granted we were undermanned) and in the first he certainly hit the footy pretty hard and did some tidy things.

Whilst im not going to say he'll be a superstar, to suggest a guy who was drafted less then 12 months ago and is 18 is deadwood is completely ridiculous.

Give the bloke a chance at the very least without condemning him purely because ya believe we should have taken Connors or someone like that instead.

saintly
Saintsational Legend

n1ck wrote:
bergholt wrote:This Age article says: "Justin Sweeney and Phillip Raymond have been delisted, while rookies Jayden Attard and Clinton Jones have been elevated."
Id trust Davo over anything in the papers...
so would I

and thanks Davo

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

Thanks Davo027 :shock:

Your servants shall hold her stones dear, and have pity on her dust :shock:
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

HarveysDeciple wrote:Just on Howard.

Fair enough he hasn't carved it up this year but he is being branded pretty harshly only because of the fact he was a perceived smokey at pick 30.

Played a couple of games (granted we were undermanned) and in the first he certainly hit the footy pretty hard and did some tidy things.

Whilst im not going to say he'll be a superstar, to suggest a guy who was drafted less then 12 months ago and is 18 is deadwood is completely ridiculous.

Give the bloke a chance at the very least without condemning him purely because ya believe we should have taken Connors or someone like that instead.
I remember hearing he was drafted a year late last year....already then he was a nineteen year old.....

He definitely be 20 by now.....Anyone willing to confirm. Really cant be looking up the players DOB's.

But true, 12 months on a list is still only 12 months. He definitely needs to be given a go.

saint64
Club Player

Brooks has turned out to be a major disappointment. We gave up Salopek for him, so that really hurts.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:
HarveysDeciple wrote: Just on Howard.

R8 v Hawks: 4 disp, 2 kck, 1 mrk, 2 hb, 1 tck
R11 v Kangas: 4 disp, 1 kck, 1 mrk, 3 hb, 1 tck, 1 clr, 1 err

So nah, he really hasn't shown anything yet. He also played just 8 games for Casey with 11 in the Casey Reserves. They comfortably judged him the second-worst listed player after Raymond:

Raymond: 5 - 14
Howard: 8 - 11
Geary: 15 - 5
Van Rheenen: 13 - 4
Allen: 4 - 3
Wall: 18 - 3
Sweeney: 15 - 2
Watts: 14 - 1
Ferguson: 13 - 1
Eddy: 19 - 1
Armitage: 18 - 0
McQualter: 15 - 0
Gwilt: 13 - 0
Brooks: 15 - 0
Spinner wrote:
HarveysDeciple wrote: JWhilst im not going to say he'll be a superstar, to suggest a guy who was drafted less then 12 months ago and is 18 is deadwood is completely ridiculous.
I remember hearing he was drafted a year late last year....already then he was a nineteen year old.....

He definitely be 20 by now.....Anyone willing to confirm. Really cant be looking up the players DOB's.

But true, 12 months on a list is still only 12 months. He definitely needs to be given a go.
He'll be 20 in December.

Look, I agree 12 months is still only 12 months, and I didn't say he should be delisted now. But he will be gone this time next year "unless he's much better than he looks". He hasn't shown enough at this point to stay on - mind you, neither really has Armitage - except on some nebulous sniff of "potential". By next year, that will have expired. For both of them, in fact - but Armitage has shown more thus far:

R8 Haw: 8 disp, 5 kck, 3 mrk, 3 hb, 5 tck, 1 clr, 3 i50, 2 err
R9 Freo: 8 disp, 4 kck, 4 mrk, 4 hb, 3 tck, 2 i50, 2 bnc, 3 err
R10 Gee: 4 disp, 2 kck, 2 hb, 3 tck, 1 clr, 1 i50, 1 bnc, 3 err

Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

Howard had 25% and 35% gametime in the two matches he played.

Hardly the sort of time on ground to rack up the footy :roll:

He was as light as a stick, but played some good games off the half-back line at Casey and in the Ressies.

Was always a longer-term prospect.

Doesn't lack guts and has reasonable disposal, and certainly some pace.

Give him a few years. Fair dinkum, I'm glad this forum doesn't coach the club. Montagna, Goddard and half our list would have been chopped after their first year.

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.