McQualter

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
evertonfc wrote:How the heck can Watts and McQualter be delisted...

...yet Ferguson and C Jones stay on the list?

Anyone?

Got a feeling RL loves his favourites...
Probably didn't want more than 10 players chopped in one year.....although I see your point and do agree.
Ferguson is a good player and Lyon knows this

He was given a couple of tough assignments in the two matches this year which re enforces the faith Lyon has in him

He has been plagued with injuries over the years but has talent

I just hope he has a full pre season and returns the faith Lyon and some fans have in him...

I hope he plays up forward this year, but I do feel he will play down back again...

If he does it will be a shame because he has the talent to create IMO

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

^Agreed. Opportunity is everything sometimes.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

St Fidelius wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:

Anyone?

Probably didn't want more than 10 players chopped in one year.....although I see your point and do agree.
Ferguson is a good player and Lyon knows this

He was given a couple of tough assignments in the two matches this year which re enforces the faith Lyon has in him

He has been plagued with injuries over the years but has talent

I just hope he has a full pre season and returns the faith Lyon and some fans have in him...

I hope he plays up forward this year, but I do feel he will play down back again...

If he does it will be a shame because he has the talent to create IMO
Agreed St Fid - Ferguson has the goods he needs a decent injury run to show but what impresses me even more is we have a coach who (given his relatively short time at the club) spots this up quickly.

“Yeah….nah””
saintly
Saintsational Legend

i agree with what Lyon has done. Mcqualter was slow and didn't show much in the last 2 years.

battye
Saintsational Legend

Well, probably not completely unexpected. McQualter has been on the list for a few years now, and for a pick 17 (??) he should have done more. :?

Feature article: KFC's "Double Down" burger!

TV Ratings: Hey Hey It's Saturday ratings overview

Do you know what C# is? .NET? Then you need to know this: XSD
LTN16
SS Hall of Fame

saintly wrote:i agree with what Lyon has done. Mcqualter was slow and didn't show much in the last 2 years.
Mcqualter showed a bit in his first year but didn't show enough this year to stay on the list next year.

Squizzy1970

Fergie, Birss, Mini-Riewoldt (Jones), and Gwilt will need to be much improved to hang onto a spot after next year.

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Squizzy1970 wrote:Fergie, Birss, Mini-Riewoldt (Jones), and Gwilt will need to be much improved to hang onto a spot after next year.
I don't know about Birss, I actually rate him...
He may not be the most skillful player going around but he is good around the stoppages, gets plenty off clearances and his hard at the ball and man and to top it all off he knows how to kick a goal, I think if he can gain some confidence he could be quite a find for us.
He averaged 6.33 tackles in his last 3 games this season :wink:

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Whatever we decide to do, good luck to Mini with his future endeavours. Had a chat with him at the Harvey testimonial and he seemed to be a really nice bloke.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

my bet is that he goes to richmond...he has shown enough

and obviously he wants a good enough fit for us however i hope for the best from him

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
spert
Saintsational Legend

Unfortunately, McQ was another player who couldn't take the next step and looked like he was treading water.

midas_touch
Club Player

Squizzy1970 wrote:Fergie, Birss, Mini-Riewoldt (Jones), and Gwilt will need to be much improved to hang onto a spot after next year.
Agree with all but Birss. Birss has shown some promise from the games he played this year, and is a handy depth player who is currently just on the brink of being in the best 22.

Trust the Midas Touch

"My heart is at St.Kilda, I've been here seven years, I only wanted to play for them." (Fraser Gehrig, 27/11/2007)
Solar
Saintsational Legend

midas_touch wrote:
Agree with all but Birss. Birss has shown some promise from the games he played this year, and is a handy depth player who is currently just on the brink of being in the best 22.
reminds me of a young thompson, needs to work on his running (as many of our mids need to do) and therefore get to more contests, if he can do this we will slip into the best 22 very nicely.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
linz
Club Player

Anyone?

It must be because they think we need the ones we keep more than the ones we don't keep. Makes sense to me.

I once spent a year in Adelaide, I think it was on a Sunday.
jimmy_slats
Club Player

from wat the site says he is still on our list... all the other delisties are gone but hes still there so i think use may b argueing about somthing that hasnt happened

Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

It was officially reported on our list changes for 2007 jimmy_slats on the AFL website, but I reckon they have kept him on the website because there is a chance he will be re-drafted.

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
savatage
SS Life Member

Oh When the Saints wrote:It was officially reported on our list changes for 2007 jimmy_slats on the AFL website, but I reckon they have kept him on the website because there is a chance he will be re-drafted.
Simply forgetfulness on behalf of the web person.

jimmy_slats
Club Player

fairs nuff just was weird that he was the only 1 there but yeah ya probs right b a shame if he didnt get redrafted.. considering he was the mini harves

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

Armoooo wrote:
I don't know about Birss, I actually rate him...
He may not be the most skillful player going around but he is good around the stoppages, gets plenty off clearances and his hard at the ball and man and to top it all off he knows how to kick a goal, I think if he can gain some confidence he could be quite a find for us.
He averaged 6.33 tackles in his last 3 games this season :wink:
I don't rate Birss much, but agree that he's handy enough that of the 4 named, as of today he's not in danger. My problems with him are his disposal, and his light frame... if he can correct his kicking, i'll firget the light frame as he does have a bit of a nose for the ball, and if he's using the ball well, I'll be happy with him as a player than plays more physically than his body really allows for. He's too light to be a tagger, but I'd worry if he bulked up he'd lose pace.

What I expect and do like of Birss is he raises the bar for the bottom end of the Saints midfield. IMO, it's his play that has ultimately made McQualter expendable (Birss, while certainly leaving something to be desired didn't look out of place playing AFL level), and it's his spot that Jones will be fighting to take in order to maintain himself after '08. The danger to both is that of course Armitage, Howard and any midfield draftees will also be fighting for this spot. Birss becomes the barometer for depth midfielders at St. K.

If he can improve, great. If he plateau's, he's probably safe through '08, but if he can't be surpassed in '09 without significan't improvement there's an issue.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford