Who will it be.....which player will emerge?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Who will it be.....which player will emerge?

Most years a player emerges.. (I am ignoring players that have been established in the past including thos at other clubs..ie King..or BJ back from injury)...to stamp his mark on the team as a "regular" player...a "first 22" player

Last year Attard took most by surprise including me.

Gilbert emerged as well.....those was not the surprise that Attard was...though the standard that Gilbo reached probably was.

So who do you think will emerge in 2008?

There are some likely candidates:

The younguns in Armo, Geary or Allen...

The flawed Clint Jones

Those that have been there a while in Raph, Ferg and Gwilt

Competition will mean that it would be most unlikely that all of them could achieve it in 2008.

A rookie....though a lack of LTI's for the moment makes this look unlikely in 2008

So who is your favourite to emerge?

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: Who will it be.....which player will emerge?

raphael

Solar
Saintsational Legend

my money is on raph playing 22 great games from HB and geary slotting into the regular 22

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
midas_touch
Club Player

Armo or Geary for me.

Trust the Midas Touch

"My heart is at St.Kilda, I've been here seven years, I only wanted to play for them." (Fraser Gehrig, 27/11/2007)
Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

raph or x...one of the two surely

if precedent is anything to go by its going to by it will be one of the whipping boys plus another completely random draft choice...

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Saints Premiers 2008 wrote:raph or x...one of the two surely

I think X with 97 games of reasonable standard would probably be regarded by many as already being a first 22 player (though he could well emerge as a consisently top 10 player.....).

Raph certainly has yet to establish himself.

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

Saints Premiers 2008 wrote:raph or x...one of the two surely

if precedent is anything to go by its going to by it will be one of the whipping boys plus another completely random draft choice...
Maybe. Unless either one of them gets injured watching a DVD

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

08 could be the year of the Clarke brothers....it would be the huge lift from the 2nd teir we need to threaten a premiership....they're capable if they can stay on the park.

If Fiora, Gilbert and Monty continue to improve we'll go a long way.

Nee!
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Geary for me.

Saints94
SS Life Member

This year is Xavier Clarke's year he will emerge in 08

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Luke Ball. He has about another 3 levels to emerge into.

HarveysDeciple

Geary or Jarred Allen for mine.

Geary gradually improved over the course of last year and earnt himself a promotion, looks a natural footballer.

Allen a very talented big man who can play at each end, cut down by injury in his first year, but should develop further in 08.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

HarveysDeciple wrote:Geary or Jarred Allen for mine.

Geary gradually improved over the course of last year and earnt himself a promotion, looks a natural footballer.

Allen a very talented big man who can play at each end, cut down by injury in his first year, but should develop further in 08.
I,d love to know where this Allen can play each end of the ground comes from. He has never played in the backline in his life. Could be a good forward though.

savatage
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:

I,d love to know where this Allen can play each end of the ground comes from.
John Beveridge for one.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

savatage wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

I,d love to know where this Allen can play each end of the ground comes from.
John Beveridge for one.
He actually said he moves like Penny but he has never played in the backline so we cannot say he can play both ends of the ground.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

On Allen.....

It would seem that he has mainly played up forward and as a ruckman...but that he has also played down back..

I see him as a forward though.

From Saint_Express

Jarryd Allen
192cms
85kgs
Pro's
• Versatile
• Marking
Weakness
• Athleticism
• Size
• Conversion???
Summary - Jarryd is a versatile key position prospect who has played mostly down forward this season. In the TAC cup he kicked 45 goals in 18 games, but to think he could have done better having kicked 24 behinds. That isn't the worst conversion rate, but you have to look at what it could have been. Jarryd will go about his work the same way every time and his marking is very strong and he has a high work ethic. He is not as athletic or quick as other players which means that he may be better suited to the backlines at AFL level. Looks to be a good prospect with plenty of improvement as he has come along a great deal from the previous year when he was very skinny

From JB Interview

Interviewer: A fair bit is known about Jarryd Allen and you must be pleased to get him at 59.
JB: Yeah, key position forward more so. Remarkable reach and he has had a very good year for Calder Cannons. Made the TAC Cup team of the year, played Vic Metro and played well in the under 18 championships. So yeah we reckon he gives us some balance with Armitage as an inside midfielder, Howard an outside midfielder because he is a lean athlete and we always planned to take Ferguson back with our last pick.
Interviewer: Some suggestion that Allen might have gone earlier . . .
JB: Some people would feel he has a bit of query below his knees but that is often the case with bigger players and we think he is fine, especially at 59.
. . .
From Bengal Tiger – BifFooty april 2006.

Was mightily impressed by Jarryd Allen for the Calder Cannons on Saturday against the Jets.

Started down back and just kept getting in front of the Jets forwards to take strong marks and repel the attacks while getting the Cannons going into attack again.

Then went into the ruck and won every bounce. EVERY is the right word.

Moved forward during the 3rd quarter and took strong marks and kicked straight.

Changed into the ruck and won them all again. Lots of footy smarts too.

Watched this guy last year and was not impressed but this year he has jumped out of his skin and is one of the best big men that Calder has produced so far.

Lots of the season is left in front of us but if Jarryd can keep this sort of form going then the world is at his feet.

With the small Cannon brigade of the likes of Horne and Caruso running around his feet they can go a long way toward the finals this year.

I hope the Tigers pick him up.

Delediodelight
BigFooty Member

Richmond
1. Jarryd Allen should go top 30 imo. Very good player. I hope Essendon takes Gibbs, and him with our next pick to shore up the CHB problems.
so you would rather have a guy who has kicked 17 goals in two weeks at CHB then FF . only an Essendon fan could think of that master stroke

11th August 2006, 21:28

Barts
BigFooty Member

Re: Jarryd Allen
He is a CHB my friend. Played in the national championships at CHB. Lynden Dunn played 3/4 of his last season at the Cannons at CHB, but you wouldnt think he could play there could you? Maybe if you had a clue you wouldnt have said anything champ

11th August 2006, 23:18

cobba
Red Card

North Melbourne
Other Teams: ManU, Melb Victory, Storm

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Also on Allen..

TAC Cup: Allen's new heights
23 September 2006 Herald Sun
David Hastie

CALDER Cannons key forward Jarryd Allen has two passions in life: footy and landscaping.

Loving the high life: under-18 player and apprentice landscaper Jarryd Allen is on a high while working at Riddells Creek this week.
Picture: Michael Dodge

Allen, 18, decided school wasn't for him, preferring a horticulture and landscaping apprenticeship.

And he hasn't looked back.

Now in the last year of his apprenticeship, Allen said his only concern was finding the time and energy for his football commitments.

``It's always a challenge mixing footy and work,'' Allen said.

``We had an agreement when I first started my apprenticeship that I wanted to continue footy. So they've been really good to me, letting me go early for footy.''

Having played 20 TAC Cup games with the Cannons last season, he said it was more of a challenge combining work and football than he had anticipated.

``I was pretty much knackered after work and then I had to go and train,'' he said.

``But this year it's been a lot easier because I'd done it before.

``I try and do everything right, eat the right food and give myself as much energy as possible.

``If I'm lucky enough to get drafted it would just be the footy and I'd love it. I'd have so much more time just to get stronger.''

If he does realise his AFL dream, Allen said he would follow in the footsteps of league midfielders Nick Stevens and Scott West, who own landscaping businesses.

``I want to go out and do more with the landscaping side of things,'' he said.

``I will do it eventually one day. If I get drafted next year, I'd still like to be involved with it.''

Despite the energy-sapping nature of his work, the 193cm centre half-forward has had a stellar year, averaging almost 17 possessions and more than two goals a game.

His on-field performances have been rewarded with All-Australian under-18 selection and he was named centre half-forward in the TAC Cup team of the year.

But selection in the Vic Metro team was never a certainty.

Allen said he had to play in defence for Metro in order to win a place in the side.
``It was pretty nerve-racking because we did have a lot of good forwards like Tommy Hawkins and Chris Dawes,'' Allen said.

``I thought of myself as being a forward in the side and when Dicko (Metro coach David Dickson) told me, he said if I was to make the side I wouldn't be playing forward.

``He could easily have gone with another ruckman, 200cm, but he decided to go with a more mobile defence.

``I basically rucked and played a kick behind the play.''

The strong marking key forward is crucial to the Cannons' chances of securing a TAC Cup grand final berth when they play the Northern Knights at Trevor Barker Oval today at 11.10am

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

I think you will find when he was down back he was the ruckman. He has never played in the backline except for when rucking and I am not talking 5 minutes here and 5 minutes there.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:I think you will find when he was down back he was the ruckman. He has never played in the backline except for when rucking and I am not talking 5 minutes here and 5 minutes there.
so he has played down back in the TAC cup, he is seen by recruiters as being more a forward but possible backman.....

remind me where kosi played his first full season plugger..... but he was recruited as a ruck/forward.

Personally he always seemed more comfortable playing at half forward and really shown in the early practice matches before getting injured

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Solar wrote:
plugger66 wrote:I think you will find when he was down back he was the ruckman. He has never played in the backline except for when rucking and I am not talking 5 minutes here and 5 minutes there.
so he has played down back in the TAC cup, he is seen by recruiters as being more a forward but possible backman.....

remind me where kosi played his first full season plugger..... but he was recruited as a ruck/forward.

Personally he always seemed more comfortable playing at half forward and really shown in the early practice matches before getting injured
That is the point. he never played down back as a under 18 except as a ruckman floating back. If you dont beleive go and ask him yourself.

Saint 58
Club Player

I would love to say Luke V.R. but that would probably mean all other ruckmen have gone down !

So I'll go for the Clarke bros. esp. Xavier.

What you do for others will define your life.
[Football isn't everything ... it's the ONLY thing]
Megamaguire
Club Player

Raphael to keep making bigger and better impacts as time goe

If Raphael doesn't find the way to impose himself more on the game situation in a wide range of ways i'll be very disappointed for him. Raph should be feeling increasingly experienced with the AFL tempo and hopefully with coach Rossi finding the ingredients that will bring out Raph's best we will see him ramp up his impact not unlike the way Fiora seemed to be finally producing last season.

Otiman's comment on Luke Ball going up a few more levels is a good point - we have probably gotten too used to seeing Lukey almost crawling around the oval due to injuries but a freed up and mobile Luke Ball would give our Saintly TEAM a mighty rocket.

The comments on Allen sound very encouraging . If we ever find another Sam Fischer or Gilbert (that's greedy i know) giddy up!

Love to see McQ blossom and crank up our centre rotations to premiership quality.

Looking forward to season 2 under Rossi.

G O S A I N T S !

The boy can play and we can build a defence around him that will have respect.
emmdee
Club Player

Luke Ball fit & firing would play not unlike Daniel Kerr does in my opinion, I hope he emerges this season to do just that. Good luck & management to him.

Rather a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy
markp
Saintsational Legend

I hope Fiora can really step-up....

linz
Club Player

Gardiner (the ruckman one). I believe he has got his act together, training hard & studying a course @ uni. (gawd I hope it's not chemistry) :oops: :oops: :oops: He is our missing link.

I once spent a year in Adelaide, I think it was on a Sunday.