a goal-kicking forward line

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Lynch Beast
Club Player

mad saint guy wrote: If West Coast can mke two grand finals with forward lines consisting of Lynch, Hansen, Armstrong, Sampi and Staker then we should manage just fine with Riewoldt, Gehrig, Koschitzke, Milne and Schneider. It is the midfield we need to focus on improving, not the forward line.
Very true, best way to beat a flood is to kick goals from outside 50

West Coast had Hunter/Embley/Judd/Cox & Cousins combine for 123 goals in 2006

that is a lot of goals from the midfield/defence

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Lynch Beast wrote:best way to beat a flood is to kick goals from outside 50

we should play gram on the wing where his long kicking can be best utilised.

bj, dal santo and joey are others who can kick them from outside 50. it is at the outside of dal's range, but he's good enough to bounce them through.

going back a season or two i can recall goose doing it quite a few times too. didn't he once kick four from chb?

goose needs to remind us of just how good he can be

Megamaguire
Club Player

Goal kicking midfielders n' 'bottlin it in

If our midfielders kick more goals the team will go up a level in efficiency. Kosi; Rooey and co will be able to back up with keeping the pill 'in' the forward zone -a la Hamill. Given the chance that our midfield can be more dominant and holding their ground and dictating procedures (Beginning in the ruck we hope) The TEAM should be finding plenty of scoring opportunities across a wide range of players. If all this falls into place it suggests we'll be able to outscore enough teams to place ourselves well in contention come September.

Livin n' hoping.

GO S A I N T S ! l

The boy can play and we can build a defence around him that will have respect.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:

bj, dal santo and joey are others who can kick them from outside 50. it is at the outside of dal's range, but he's good enough to bounce them through.

going back a season or two i can recall goose doing it quite a few times too. didn't he once kick four from chb?

He basically plays wing and HB now. There are no postions anymore for running players so how he plays now is fine.

|Andy|
Club Player

bigcarl wrote:

dals not fevola. he's not gonna get 2 lucky bounces in a row, was it?? vs stkilda?? would rather him set someone up then rely on lucky bounces.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:He basically plays wing and HB now. There are no postions anymore for running players so how he plays now is fine.
yeah, but he'd have fewer defensive responsibilities starting on a true wing and, as discussed in another post, won't be dragged down to the opposition goals where his weakness overhead can be exploited.

he could be quite a devastating attacking weapon playing as a true winger, continually pumping it forward with that powerful right boot

on the evidence of last year, we need a more aggressive and attacking mindset ... blokes who are prepared to back themselves and take a few risks. gram is one of those types

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
plugger66 wrote:He basically plays wing and HB now. There are no postions anymore for running players so how he plays now is fine.
yeah, but he'd have fewer defensive responsibilities starting on a true wing and, as discussed in another post, won't be dragged down to the opposition goals where his weakness overhead can be exploited.

he could be quite a devastating attacking weapon playing as a true winger, continually pumping it forward with that powerful right boot

on the evidence of last year, we need a more aggressive and attacking mindset ... blokes who are prepared to back themselves and take a few risks. gram is one of those types
We will have no running players in your backline if Gram and Gilbert play elsewhere. The running backline is nearly as important as your great white hope forward line.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:We will have no running players in your backline if Gram and Gilbert play elsewhere.
the clarkes? blake? dempster? the fishers?

there are others, including baker when he gets back in round 17 or whenever his suspension finishes.

imo our depth is more than adequete to allow a couple of our better players to assume more attacking roles

plugger66 wrote:The running backline is nearly as important as your great white hope forward line.
glad you think the forward line is important.

as for great white hope, we'll find out soon enough.

no reason it shouldn't work so long as we move it quickly, directly and long to give "The 3 Divas" a chance to do their work one-out.

kosi's ability to take contested marks is the key as it gives us the option of bombing it long rather than always trying to find roo or fraser laces up. imo he should be full forward with fraser taking on lesser duties beside him. we need to look to the future

aerially it should be as dominant as anything we've seen for a while and there'll be a couple of little goalsneaks there to feed on the scraps

some goals from outside 50 would be handy, too

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
plugger66 wrote:We will have no running players in your backline if Gram and Gilbert play elsewhere.
the clarkes? blake? dempster? the fishers?

there are others, including baker when he gets back in round 17 or whenever his suspension finishes.

imo our depth is more than adequete to allow a couple of our better players to assume more attacking roles

plugger66 wrote:The running backline is nearly as important as your great white hope forward line.
glad you think the forward line is important.

as for great white hope, we'll find out soon enough.

no reason it shouldn't work so long as we move it quickly, directly and long to give "The 3 Divas" a chance to do their work one-out.

kosi's ability to take contested marks is the key as it gives us the option of bombing it long rather than always trying to find roo or fraser laces up. imo he should be full forward with fraser taking on lesser duties beside him. we need to look to the future

aerially it should be as dominant as anything we've seen for a while and there'll be a couple of little goalsneaks there to feed on the scraps

some goals from outside 50 would be handy, too
Raph is slower than me so is both Fishers. Balke and dempster are so as well so that leaves X. Need more than one fast running player.

As for Kosi he may take 10-15 contested marks that result in goals this year. that will not make or break the season.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Kosi he may take 10-15 contested marks that result in goals this year. that will not make or break the season.
maybe. but what it will ensure is that they can't have two or three blokes on riewoldt.

it gives us another goal-kicking target and helps break down the unhealthy reliance we've had on roo.

... and hopefully a forward line that converts chances into goals, unlike last year.

some goals from outside 50 would be nice, too.

pity if we can't spare gram from the backline as i reckon he'd be devastating on the wing and would be a regular contributor on the scoreboard
Last edited by bigcarl on Tue 05 Feb 2008 11:34pm, edited 1 time in total.

hAyES
Club Player

I think we should keep Gram in the backline and put X on the wing as his delivery to our forwards is a lot better than Gram's.

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

I like Gilbert and Gram both rotating through the midfield but also spending a lot of time down back, our backline is more than good enough without those two, you would be amazed how much better a competative midfield can make your backline look, just look at Geelong, their backline is nowhere near as good as it is now made out to be...

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
hAyES
Club Player

Armoooo wrote:I like Gilbert and Gram both rotating through the midfield but also spending a lot of time down back, our backline is more than good enough without those two, you would be amazed how much better a competative midfield can make your backline look, just look at Geelong, their backline is nowhere near as good as it is now made out to be...
Scarlett, Harley, Egan, Milburn just to name a few are very good defenders. Their defense has been good for years now and was the reason why they won games before 2007.

I agree with you when you say that a very good midfield can make your backline look great though. Winning the midfield like we used to is going to be crucial if we want to kick a winning score every week.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

I can't wait to see the 3 Divas - riewoldt, kosi, and G-Train - in action in the same forward line.

a couple of little pipsqueaks at their feet ... milne, schneider ... and a good medium like bj, gilbert, or even dal or ball (if we can spare them on the ball) and we are on the road to kicking winning scores.

the rest will come down to swift, long and direct delivery .... by hand or by foot, doesn't matter ... so long as it gets there quickly and directly.

some goals from outside 50 would help too

saintjake
Club Player

Re: a goal-kicking forward line

bigcarl wrote:we fell down badly in 2007 in not being able to kick winning scores

imo this was partly because of RL's dubious "numbers behind the ball" philosophy/game plan, which, in effect means that we didn't really have permanent forwards save for fraser.

i'd like a return to a more traditional set-up in which we have a forward line that is capable of turning opportunities to goals.

i'd set up something like this:

C: Gram, Hayes, Gilbert
HF: Goddard, Riewoldt, Dal
F: Milne, Kosi, Schneider

some will say we'd be robbing peter to pay paul by throwing resources forward like that; dal's too important on the ball; kosi can't play ff, we need him around the ground etc, etc.

but consider this: you can't win football matches if you can't put a score on the board.

i like the look of the wings here. gram and gilbert both get plenty of the ball and would be continually launching goalwards with long, direct kicks

thoughts anyone

WHAT ABOUT GEHRIG.
that man is our foward line.
you cant nothave him in there.
this year give kosi full foward
and jsut left frase do his thing.
he will be a monster.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

bump.

with round 1 very close i thought it time to bring back this old chestnut ... "a goal-kicking forward line" ... which i started on october 8 last year

my forward six:

HF: c. gardiner, riewoldt, rotation (dal santo, ball, montagna, schneider)

F: gehrig, kosi, milne.

note that apart from perhaps c. gardiner all of the above are capable of turning opportunities into goals, a very valuable (some would say essential) quality in a forward.

given quick and direct delivery it ought to be like shooting fish in a barrel.

no more kick-it-to-roo. many reliable and consistent avenues to goal.

goals, goals, goals etc

saint08
Club Player

bigcarl wrote:bump.

with round 1 very close i thought it time to bring back this old chestnut ... "a goal-kicking forward line" ... which i started on october 8 last year

my forward six:

HF: c. gardiner, riewoldt, rotation (dal santo, ball, montagna, schneider)

F: gehrig, kosi, milne.

note that apart from perhaps c. gardiner all of the above are capable of turning opportunities into goals, a very valuable (some would say essential) quality in a forward.

given quick and direct delivery it ought to be like shooting fish in a barrel.

no more kick-it-to-roo. many reliable and consistent avenues to goal.

goals, goals, goals etc
spot on BC. Charlie plays lead up forward, but roo must stay out of the way of kosi and G in marking contests...

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

I am curious as to what sort of set plays we have set up, I can guarantee that all 3 of Roo, G and Kosi will be spending time as decoys....

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:

Speaking of players that can kick goals from outside 50m...in ready up on Snas fans comments on Demspter it was one of the qualities they saw him as having.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....