The ULTIMATE trivia post!!!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

nope :lol:

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
twaq
Club Player

8) 8)

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

Thats strange from Russel Holmesby Mon 11 February, 2002 article it states that he debut in 1911 after most of the senior players went on strike at the age of 16???

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
twaq
Club Player

yeah he was born on the 3rd of Jan. 1893 and made his debut in 1911,,, so thats 18!!!

I thought I could count!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

8) 8)

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

fair enough..sorry :oops: Here is part of the article Cazaly is mentioned at the end.......

History of the St Kilda football Club
Russel Holmesby Mon 11 February, 2002 - saints.com.au

The name of St Kilda figures boldly throughout the history of Australian Rules Football. One of the earliest recorded references to the fledgling game in 1859 mentions a "scratch team from St Kilda". Football was a loosely organised affair in those days and players frequently moved from one group to another in search of a game.

The St Kilda Football Club itself was not formed until 1873, containing many elements of the previously strong South Yarra club which had disbanded a year earlier, after falling on hard times. South Yarra had won the Challenge Cup in 1867 and many of its better players lined up under the St Kilda banner.

In the early stages the Club played at an area known as the "Alpaca Paddock", next to the present site of the St Kilda Bowling Club near the St Kilda railway station. Alpacas were a kind of llama with long wool which had been imported from South America as a money-raising venture.

St Kilda soon boasted a membership of 60 and showed that it would exceed its initial aim of being a junior club. By the end of the first season the Saints were able to force a draw with the top-ranking Carlton and everything looked rosy.

There were tough times ahead but St Kilda's uphill battle was not without its humorous moments. Only 12 Saints turned up for a match at Bendigo, and the game against Albert Park started 90 minutes late after the ball burst when it was being inflated prior to the match!

Amalgamation with University did not help the cause either, but the Club was still one of the original members of the VFA when it was formed in 1877. That year the Saints became only the second team to journey interstate (Melbourne had gone to South Australia a fortnight earlier) and beat Adelaide, then a combined South Australian side.

By 1879 the Club slipped to its lowest ebb and after the side failed to turn up for a game at Essendon, all further matches were abandoned. St Kilda sank into junior ranks for the next six years.

The Club returned to senior competition in 1886 and struggled to make its mark. A decision was made to amalgamate with nearby Prahran and the Saints retained their colours, name and ground, as well as picking up a number of Prahran stars.

Even at this early point the Saints had a reputation for being able to lift miraculously on their day and roll the best teams in the competition. Another trademark was the presence of some of the foremost players in football. Alf Smith, a champion rover, was one of the earliest stars, but the hot and cold Saints could never sustain their brilliance for long.

Proof of the team's quixotic nature came in the last season it played in the VFA when several top players missed the Collingwood game because they chose to go to the races instead!

Still, St Kilda finished ahead of Carlton and Geelong, two other teams invited to be founder members of the new Victorian Football League. The Club's first four years in the League were disastrous with 48 losses in a row, and even the first victory came in controversial circumstances.

In the opening round of 1900 St Kilda and Melbourne tied, but a St Kilda protest over an incorrectly awarded point was upheld. The relief was only temporary as the Club lost every other game for the year. By an ironical twist, Melbourne went on to the premiership.

A committee shake-up heralded a bold new recruiting drive and the Club netted much-travelled ruckman, Vic Cumberland, and champion Tasmanian rover, Vic Barwick. Within two years the brilliant young forward, Dave McNamara, and a talented batch of interstate men were on the books and St Kilda rose to sixth place in 1906.

The long-suffering Saints took the football world by storm early in 1907 by winning the opening six games. St Kilda reached the finals for the first time ever, and appeared again in 1908. Carlton knocked St Kilda out of the race both times.

Internal bickering rocked the Club in 1909 and it was reflected in the on-field performance. Such was the desperation for a win that a suspended man was used in the win over Geelong. The blue and whites protested and the game was awarded to them. Savage in-fighting made the Saints a laughing stock and in 1911 a dispute between players and officials almost stopped the team taking the field in one game. A massive walkout meant that young local boys filled the gaps for the rest of the year. One of these was a 16 year-old named Roy Cazaly.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

OBsolutely no Idea on any of them

But admire your knowledge_ and time available for computer???? who is sitting at heir work desk????

twaq
Club Player

ok...

In 1992, who was the saints player that was alleged to have followed an umpire home after a reserves tribunal hearing?

8) 8)
Last edited by twaq on Fri 01 Oct 2004 4:00pm, edited 1 time in total.

twaq
Club Player

St Fidelius wrote:Internal bickering rocked the Club in 1909 and it was reflected in the on-field performance. Such was the desperation for a win that a suspended man was used in the win over Geelong. The blue and whites protested and the game was awarded to them. Savage in-fighting made the Saints a laughing stock and in 1911 a dispute between players and officials almost stopped the team taking the field in one game. A massive walkout meant that young local boys filled the gaps for the rest of the year. One of these was a 16 year-old named Roy Cazaly.
Seems strange that they differ, both were written by Holmesby!!!??? :? :? :?

8) 8)

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

Yeah very strange... this is the site....with the full story

http://members.iinet.net.au/~skewes/saints/mlsns.html

Sainter_4_life
Club Player

Sorry guys, i know its not my turn to ask a question, but i thought that this question may challenge a few people -

ST.Kilda received the first ever fine in VFL history. What was the fine for, what year was it in, and how much was it ?

St Fid Jnr
Club Player

Sainter_4_life wrote:Sorry guys, i know its not my turn to ask a question, but i thought that this question may challenge a few people -

ST.Kilda received the first ever fine in VFL history. What was the fine for, what year was it in, and how much was it ?

I give up :cry:

twaq
Club Player

St Fid Jnr wrote:
Sainter_4_life wrote:Sorry guys, i know its not my turn to ask a question, but i thought that this question may challenge a few people -

Try mine (a couple of posts up!!!) in the meantime, a bit more recent!!!

By the way your question Sainter_4_life has got me stumped as well!!!

8) 8)

St Fid Jnr
Club Player

Craig O'Brian

St Fid Jnr
Club Player

Is it my turn????

karnak
Club Player

yeah go on st fid junior go for it ask us all a question

Sam Gilbert you are an EXCITEMENT MACHINE!
St Fid Jnr
Club Player

Ok

What player debuted for the Saints in 1940?

And what happened 2 years later that made him unlikely to play in that season?

Sainter_4_life
Club Player

St Fid Jnr wrote:

Ok guys, here is the answer :wink:

The year was 1897, the fine was 5 guineas, and it was because the team arrived late at victoria park to play collingwood, after they were held up after assembling at the junction oval to board the drey to the game, only to find that they didnt have enough players, hence causing them to be late

Thought it catch a few people out :)

twaq
Club Player

St Fid Jnr wrote:Ok

Keith Miller, pursued his cricket career???

8) 8)

St Fid Jnr
Club Player

twaq wrote:
St Fid Jnr wrote:Ok

Keith Miller, pursued his cricket career???

8) 8)
Keith Miller is right but i got a different reason

twaq
Club Player

Just found this in tha HoF section on the website...

Suave and debonaire Miller made an even bigger impact on the cricket field and ranks as Australia's greatest ever all-rounder. It was cricket that took him to Sydney and away from St Kilda.

What did you have???

8) 8)

St Fid Jnr
Club Player

Well in my book - 100 years of australian football- page 166

it says that he was transfeerred interstate by the RAAF

so maybe that is why he started playing cricket

maybe it was the RAAF fault.

twaq
Club Player

OK...

Last year, Allan Murray kicked a goal with his first kick for the Saints. Who was the last Saints recruit before that to kick a goal with his first kick for the Saints?

8) 8)

St Fid Jnr
Club Player

NICK DEL SANTO 2002

twaq
Club Player

nope...

8) 8)

St Fid Jnr
Club Player

its bed time for me :cry:

if i won i will send question tomorrow :cry: