Comments by Ross Lyon

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

markinUSA
SS Life Member

Comments by Ross Lyon

Thisis a story from the Saints site, for those who haven't seen it, about yesterday's game.

Turnovers costly, says Lyon

ST KILDA coach Ross Lyon says a combination of defensive turnovers, some classy Port stoppage goals and a lack of midfield contributors cost his side in the 21-point loss to Port Adelaide.

For the full story, click on the following link:

http://www.saints.com.au/tabid/5315/Def ... wsid=58572

"Don't give up, never give up" - Robert Harvey.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

“I ask the question in the box – ‘do we train that’ and the response is ‘no’, and I ask the players ‘do we train that’ and they say no. But sometimes the pressure of games and pressure of the opposition make you do funny things – which we want to eradicate if we’re going to be a top team.â€
Last edited by saintsRrising on Sun 27 Apr 2008 6:42pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
JeffDunne

He's kidding himself if he thinks turnovers were what cost us.

Port made as many if not more skill errors but played all over us in the first half. If it wasn't for their turnovers they would have spanked us.

Effort is the word you're looking for Ross.

Too many not prepared to do what's required to win.

Give me effort and I can live with turnovers.

starsign
Club Player

Yes turnovers to some extent but it was our lack of intensity and overall committment that lead to them getting a 5 goal zip start Ross
Considering the conditions what would that have equated to at the Dome?
About 7-8 goals?? Least it was in contrast to our Dogs & Cats losses

And we seem to be very predictable Ross,
Cornes said after the game "yeah we knew they were gunna play exactly like that" (and Ross didn't mind us double teaming the deep Riewoldt so the rest was easy)

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

If his press conferences are anything like his 1/4 time, 1/2 time and 3/4 time speeches, no wonder we look like we're asleep out there on the field.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

TIME IS ALMOST UP ROSS

ACCOUNTABILITY -Ross's favourite word -well let's apply it to him shall we.

What are your indicators of success Ross - aside from getting a team into the eight? (a team that finished every home and way in the top 5 for the last 3 years -including the 2006 injury riddled year) - FAIL!

How about forward pressure -i've heard that a lot - oh, we came last in your first season - despite our game plan changing to focus on defence, resulting in a top scoring team becoming one of the most defensive and low scoring in the comp. - FAIL!

How about being proactive (hell even reactive) on game day - if a matchup isn't working change it or change the team structure (now, not in a few weeks) -rather than force us to sit out the game with the result decided by halftime. Does anyone remember the saints under Lyons (or GT we have to admit) chasing down a decent margin? FAIL!

How about playing attractive footy, encouraging bums on seats and bringing money to the club? Well i'm sick of mates pointing out that under you the free flowing attacking Saints regularly play the least attractive footy in the AFL - remember the Hawks game, the game vs Swans, the Carlton game -well every game actually, bar the win over WC for Harv's 350th -FAIL!

Speaking of Harv's 350th - the players were motivated and playing for one another (mainly for Harvs). Do you have the ability to motivate -do the players give the proverbial 110% week in, week out for you? I don't think I have seen a less enthusiastic team since an uninterested Blight took over and starting criticising the club. Here's a hint -speaking in KRudd style 'officialese' is hardly going to inspire passion or accountability - that style of speaking was created to avoid direct scrutiny -not promote it. FAIL!

Team Progress? Do you believe the Saints have progressed since you've taken over? Are the playing better footy? Are they winning more games? Have individual players taken their game to new heights? FAIL!

A healthy percentage -after all it's worth a win come the end of rnd 22?
Oh, basically the worst % in the comp given the W-L ratio. Meaning we need to win one extra game each year just to overcome it. FAIL!

Understanding your players strengths and limitations and playing to a plan that maximises the former whilst minimising the latter - e.g. play to the teams strengths, not yours!

I could go on and on - bottom line -get accountable and admit to your mistakes, then determine whether you have the ability to change the team for the better, and if not get out

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

i'm glad Ross has a good list of excuses for this week that he can blame the loss on , so it saves him from having to address the actual, HIS PATHETIC GAEMPLAN!

come on Ross, your killing us.....

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Batnoe

we had more tackles.......that's because we were chasing the ball

if we had more possesions we wouldnt need to tackle

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

turnovers? I mean come on Ross, thats just damn lazy. Turnovers, yeah, but that covers a whole gammit of mistakes and bad decision making. God we are in real trouble.

For a start Rossco, TRY ADDRESSING WHY NEARLY NONE OF OUR PLAYERS CAN SPOT A TARGET UP FROM 30M AWAY!!

This guy, fair dinkum, as much knowledge and personality of a newt.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Do we actually plan for teams to be Essendon like and kick next to no points.

I'm certain we have no structure when kicking in for goal. It is killing us.

plumtire
Club Player

Time to rebuild NOW!

The truth hurts :!: This clown we have "in charge" :roll: of our team is taking away from us the one thing that has kept us going for all these seasons: HOPE.
We are now in a position of being HOPELESS pure and simple: HOPELESS in other words we have nothing to look toward as grounds for optimism :!: and it seems to bother our "coach" not a bit!! :twisted: :twisted:
My original post while a bit tongue in cheek is a way for me to release some of the frustration I have with the manner in which our club is being destroyed by this coaching panel..HOPELESS :evil:

aussiejones
Club Player

"we have no structure when kicking in for goal. It is killing us."

Let the opposition get the jump and then chase all day when they have their confidence up.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Poor old Lyon,,same things being said about him as Cat supporters were saying about Bomber early last year, same stuff Essendon supporters were saying about Sheedy in his first year, as my Dons mate reminded me..oh yeah..thats right, Alves needed to be thrown out after the firtst 5 round in 1997.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

aussiejones wrote:"we have no structure when kicking in for goal. It is killing us."

Let the opposition get the jump and then chase all day when they have their confidence up.
Yep, we do that on the reverse side.

But when we actually kick in....There is no structure, whatsoever.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:Poor old Lyon,,same things being said about him as Cat supporters were saying about Bomber early last year, same stuff Essendon supporters were saying about Sheedy in his first year, as my Dons mate reminded me..oh yeah..thats right, Alves needed to be thrown out after the firtst 5 round in 1997.
well where is the upside Spert? Gameplan schnameplan... no passion, no flair, no instinct, no full on attack. Measured, boring, hesitant, impotent mediocrity is where we're at. Have been waiting for it to change, but every game this year, the same signs are there. Essendon was the best win we've had and showed some promise. But the rest - dull as dishwater.
Just more excuses from Lyon for another gormless performance. We had an 8 day break and Port had a 5 day break on the back of a trip to Perth. Pathetic performance. Lyon is more and more like a corporate spin merchant and less and less like someone who can inspire a team to glory.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Upside? It's early in the season and there's a long way to go, so don't toss the coach!! Three wins three losses..not six losses OK!

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Anyone who thought we should of beat Port is very one sided. Going over there with a apalling record at the best of times you should all have seen what came about. The fact that Port didnt win by more is a pure reflection of how well Lyon coaches.

Fact- Rix maybe a trier but a ruckmen he aint and that was were the game was there for Port to win.

Fact- Goose BJ Baker Dempster all coming back from little or no footy.

Fact- teams struggle with there best ruckmen out against oppisition with average ruckmen go to PORT who have two of the best and take one of the worst to play on them and see what happens.

Saturday night could of been a hiding and if it wasnt for some sloppy first quarter mistakes by some of our better players the result may have been reversed.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
Behind Play
Club Player

spert wrote:Upside? It's early in the season and there's a long way to go, so don't toss the coach!! Three wins three losses..not six losses OK!
May be Ross, should come out and be more transparent with the club's members and supporters. No smart arse comments....just tell the truth. The club is no longer approachable, we may get a minute per week on the evening news and that is it.
I realise we are 3/3 but we were up there as grand finalist, we honestly need an explanation, no spin doctoring.
Be up front.

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

CURLY wrote:Anyone who thought we should of beat Port is very one sided. Going over there with a apalling record at the best of times you should all have seen what came about. The fact that Port didnt win by more is a pure reflection of how well Lyon coaches.
Port Adelaide were terrible. They deserved to lose that game with the number of errors and bad decisions they made, and they came close to coughing it up a few times.

Luckily for them, they played a side that made over more errors and bad decisions.

The scoreline accurately reflected the deserved return for each team.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
mischa
Club Player

BAM! (shhhh) wrote:Port Adelaide were terrible.

Luckily for them, they played a side that made over more errors and bad decisions.
Confidence is an amazing thing. We have none. :?: Why.

"Thanks korters. If Richmond kick more goals they'll win"-R.Scumbag (nee Walls)

The All Spin Zone-Saintsational.com
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:Upside? It's early in the season and there's a long way to go, so don't toss the coach!! Three wins three losses..not six losses OK!
yes but the style of footy is crap. The wins haven't been convincing or authoritative. Like the guys have had their natural instincts coached out of them. No cohesion or passion. Deadly dull.

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

st.byron wrote:
yes but the style of footy is crap. The wins haven't been convincing or authoritative. Like the guys have had their natural instincts coached out of them. No cohesion or passion. Deadly dull.
This game plan is ANTI instinct, by design or not. And football is a instinct sport, no way round that. RL would do well to actually learn this one.

bergsone
SS Life Member

rl needs to understand ,this isnt sydney. different cattle different game plan needed . 8 -12 goals per game, wont be enough

brown-coat
SS Hall of Fame

PRECISELY.

A gameplan suited to the swans does not necessarily suit every team.

Ross has a few more weeks to realise this before he's out of a job.