Two good forwards from complete turnaround

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bergsone
SS Life Member

Otiman wrote:
bergsone wrote:What about our forward coach ,isnt that what he is there for.Yes i would not mind seeing any one of those 3 in a coaching position at the club
John Barker is a dud. And that's putting my views mildly.
wont get no arguement from me on that one Otiman ,well put

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote:
bergsone wrote:What about our forward coach ,isnt that what he is there for.Yes i would not mind seeing any one of those 3 in a coaching position at the club
John Barker is a dud. And that's putting my views mildly.
Was/is...get rid of him. Put Frase in...Roo and Kosi would love it!

bergsone
SS Life Member

S Loewe was a terrible kick early ,but obviously did a lot of work improving his kicking with help.can someone inform me as to who worked with him on his kicking

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

bergsone wrote:S Loewe was a terrible kick early ,but obviously did a lot of work improving his kicking with help.can someone inform me as to who worked with him on his kicking
Peter Hudson.

Winmar7Fan
Club Player

degruch wrote:Erm...one kicking coach away from a complete turn-around.
No I'm saying adding a couple of very good forwards I still think even if Kosi and Roos kicking improved overall we would still fall a bit short.
Last edited by Winmar7Fan on Wed 11 Jun 2008 1:57pm, edited 1 time in total.

mightysainters
SS Hall of Fame

rodgerfox wrote:I actually think Daniel Motlop would almost be our ideal 'get' right now.
Motlop... he doesnt play midfield hes a small forward....

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Winmar7Fan wrote:
degruch wrote:Erm...one kicking coach away from a complete turn-around.
No I'm saying adding a couple of very good forwards
Well, the guys we've got have proven they can get it OK, they just can't kick. Has anyone got Peter Hudson's number? I mean, geez, Melbourne are a couple good forwards away etc etc...a few superstars can make anyone look great, but we can do it with the guys we've got, as long as they can convert.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

congorozides wrote:Forwards! FFS. did any of you actually go the game on sunday? we could have GOD at FF and it would not help. our midfield was murdered. murdered. we have no pace and cant kick and we move the ball so slowly and with no accuracy. forwards wont help.
there have been times over the past few years that the forward line was to blame for not being able to convert opportunities to goals. i'm with you in believing that sunday wasn't one of them.

all a good forward set up can do is make the most of its opportunities and get you over the line everything else being equal. well everything else wasn't equal. the ball came in under extreme pressure and not that often.

we need to think laterally about who can contribute to our midfield. i'd be adding gram, bj, gilbert and perhaps sam fisher to the midfield rotation and see whether they can't shake things up a bit.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Don't know what our forward coach is actually doing, but our forwards either don't lead, don't lead to the right spot, or lead under the ball..one of the reasons the ball gets bombed to the forward line. Our crumbers don't crumb, or tackle and we have practically been playing without a full forward all season. It doens't give me much confidance. I really feel our club is running around like a headless chicken with not much direction.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

mightysainters wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:I actually think Daniel Motlop would almost be our ideal 'get' right now.
Motlop... he doesnt play midfield hes a small forward....
Well derrr.

mightysainters
SS Hall of Fame

its our midfield that is the problem...too slow and bad skills.... I'm not buying into this forwards stuff... We need quick midfielders with good skills we have plodders and soft outside receivers...

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

mightysainters wrote:its our midfield that is the problem...too slow and bad skills.... I'm not buying into this forwards stuff... We need quick midfielders with good skills we have plodders and soft outside receivers...
The ridiculous style of play our midfielders are playing is the problem.

The personnel is Ok. Still very good even.

How many times did we break a line at HB or through the middle on a rebound then have to stop, prop, and either do a Gram and torp it 65m to no one or turn around and go backwards whilst we wait for our forwards and HFs to get back to their positions?

I'm shiit scared Lyon will go into Trade Week and cut very good footballers. His plan is making very good, talented and proven players look pathetic.

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

We seem to get the ball into our 50 often enough but then it gets shot out more often than not...

So I think ..
We need quick 2 medium sized goal kicking forwards (not smalls) -

to -

1. kick goals

and

2. chase down and pressure - to stop the rebounds that are killing us.

We dont have anyone capable of this dual role ... otherwise they would be regularly in our forward line each week - kicking valuable goals and applying the forward pressure.
But we need to recruit not 1 but 2 of these players.

And also 1 tall that can take marks and can kick long and straight.

so 3 players ... with Riewoldt playing as a ruck rover.

congorozides
Club Player

JeffDunne wrote:What our forward line lacks is defensive pressure.

We play a 4 or 5 man forward line and most couldn't lay a tackle to save themselves. Kosi give away too many stupid free kicks and gives up a contest too easily, Milne is more likely to run past the player than tackle, and Roo tries too hard to mark everything when sometimes out of position he should be bringing the ball to ground to the advantage of his crummers.

I know people are probably going to think I've packed the pipe too early today, but I'd play Ball up forward to keep the bastards honest.
I totally agree with this. totally. ball providing forward pressure. hes too slow in the midfield sorry guys.

gram is so annoying delivering forward and does a heap of tumble punts from around 60m out. harvey is the only one they bother leading to because he is predictable and reliable and passes form 70m out to 40m out. Roo does not even bother leading to Gram and Montagna should be better than doing long bombs.

move it fast. play on and kick accurately.

it is our disgraceful style of play that is making the forwards look inept and silly.

the midfeild need to heed robbie deans

"there is no such thing as a bad decision. the only mistake os when you dont make a decision"

RL has them hesitant. obsessed with defense and in 2 monds every time they get. we just end up up chasing ass or coughing it up.

Red
Club Player

Other than Lenny we have a bunch of B graders in the midfield.

We need a couple of explosive players with good skills mixing it with

those we already have. The side needs to score some easy goals.

When we struggled in the second and third quarters you just need to get

a steadying goal. We can't do that because no enough guys can break the

lines.

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

rodgerfox wrote:
mightysainters wrote:its our midfield that is the problem...too slow and bad skills.... I'm not buying into this forwards stuff... We need quick midfielders with good skills we have plodders and soft outside receivers...
The ridiculous style of play our midfielders are playing is the problem.

The personnel is Ok. Still very good even.

How many times did we break a line at HB or through the middle on a rebound then have to stop, prop, and either do a Gram and torp it 65m to no one or turn around and go backwards whilst we wait for our forwards and HFs to get back to their positions?

I'm shiit scared Lyon will go into Trade Week and cut very good footballers. His plan is making very good, talented and proven players look pathetic.
Well with a bit of luck , Lyon will be gone before trade week. I too have thought about what he will do with his culling, firghtful! I hate not having any trust in my coach. s***s me to tears. :twisted: