Robert Harvey meet Saturday 5th

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

howlinwolf
Club Player

Robert Harvey meet Saturday 5th

Today we were lucky enough to meet the most humble legend the game has ever seen.
I have always admired Robert since the day he first played with StKilda.His record speaks for itself but to speak to the man in person is an education in life. One of modesty,humility and dignity.
He is not pretentious and has no ego whatsoever. I can't say that for other AFL players I have met.
I have heard many ask me the question "Why do you support StKilda?" many times.
If you have to ask then you'd never understand.
Robert is a very good reason I'd suggest.
Against the odds but still giving his all.
Real Aussie spirit.
We bought a Team Of The Century framed jumper and Robert was more than happy to pose for a photo.
He said he thinks the team has turned the corner and are looking forward to a solid end to the year. He rates our chances of matching it with the Bulldogs and Hawthorn. I asked him "what about Geelong? " He said "Mmm, that'd be tough"
He also said he wasn't sure why we had so much trouble in the forward line but it wasn't anything to do with Ross.

bethb7
Club Player

He is an awesome guy so humble, I think that sums up what being a true legend is talking with the fans not being to good for it all. I want him to go on another year it's going to be really sad when he does retire which will more than likely be this year :(

If you can't give the commitment you gave this year and you don't want to improve, you can go because we have unfinished business-Ross Lyon
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

how did the other passengers on the ferry like your purchase-

thanks for that story.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
howlinwolf
Club Player

Some things aren't cheap in life but you can't put a price on things like these.
There is a value that can't be quantified that my daughter experienced by meeting Robert.
If she is inspired in life as I have been by him then that's great value.

Unfortunately the others on the ferry didn't get to see the jumper as it took me 1/2 an hour to get it into the Honda Civic and I wasn't about to get it out until we got home !
I got me something for the wall in the retirement home when I get there :D

matrix
Saintsational Legend

he'll play next year.....

and if the club dont ask him to keep going on a year by year basis on his terms then its a disgrace.

he could play 400.....

howlinwolf
Club Player

He also said that if we get into the finals we WILL do some damage. He was confident about that.
I praised him on his influence and example I felt that he had shown players like Luke Ball and Lenny Hayes.
He lit up immediately and said Lenny was an absolute gun and too many underestimate him. He couldn't get the words out fast enough.
None of us do, that's for sure.
What value can you place on having Harvs around our club for the young guns of tomorrow to look up to ?
Let's hope David Armitage, Jack Steven etc are influenced by him as well.
You can't win a flag without work ethic and Harvs has it in bucketloads.

markinUSA
SS Life Member

What a great, great man. Dead set champ.

"Don't give up, never give up" - Robert Harvey.
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Thanks for the heads up Howlin - what an awesome story!

Ive never had the luxury of meeting the man but you cant be so consistently humble and gracious without simply having that in your persona.

He's always been class on field but what sets him apart from many AFL loudmouths to me is the way he carries himself off field - legend.

I'm actually in 2 minds as to whether he should go on (blasphenm I know) - I know hed give it his all but I think if he should go this year he goes out on top. Lets face it, the hopes of giving him a flag are gawn - to me it doesnt diminish his individual standing in the game - hes a freak...Id hate to see the disrespect as shown by Brereton (agreed with by Grant Thomas) on radio next year....I think its sad when pot shots are taken at champions in an attempt at "cheapening" their performances... (the comments were after 1 fkn pre season game ffs.......such is the brilliance of this pair).

In saying that...whatever Robert Harvey decided Id support.

“Yeah….nah””
zebraman
Club Player

I was lucky enough to pick up Robert Harvey in my caba few years ago...took him from Beaumaris to 3AW where he was doing a radio spot....I always had thought that he was really quiet...but on this trip he was very talkative and seemed genuinely interested in why my marriage had broken up!!!...we had a great talk for around 35 minutes....fantastic bloke unlike some othe AFL players I had picked up...Warren Tredrea one example...

St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

He doesn't deserve a sudsy-style ending to his career! For such a champion I hope his team-mates dig as deep as they possibly can! We're in the 8....anything is possible! The season is not lost!

Love the story btw ;)

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

Last year at the Dome, I had my daughter’s fiance, an international visitor who had never seen one minute of AFL (EVER) with me.

We turned up at gate opening and went to the race where our guys come out. One of our stars came out and I tried to get his attention as he is my sons hero, but he ran out and ran in at a fast rate of speed.

Then out came the Great Man.

I called him over and briefly told him that Chris had never seen a minute of AFL – Harves then spent many minutes and photo’s with Chris, asking him about where he was from, what he did etc.

He spoke to Chris more than I have ever spoken to the Great Man myself.

He gave 5 to 10 minutes with an international and pics that young Chris HAS to keep with him at all times.

Our other star that night ended up being Chris’s fave (Frase with 9 goals) but the great #35 will always be my favourite.

Also have a great story about X but this thread is about Harves.

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

he is a dead set legend

I've already posted here my kids experience with banger at little league.

the guy is a dead set asset to the club and role model on and off the field.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
Raven
Club Player

Even after his inevitable eventual retirement, I dearly hope he stays at the club in some form to provide support and/or mentoring for our younger players. Who better for them to have to look up to!