Malcolm unloads on Saints!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Worth noting I think, that even including the $1m we paid Blight, our coaching department total salaries were in the bottom 5 of the comp.

So really, considering what it brought in in terms of members, players and sponsors - it was a brilliant move.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

stinger wrote: glad to see you posting mate.......not only did he have hall at full back......he had harvey out the door along with loewe and burke......
I remember his exact words, (when coach of AC)
"I dont worry about Harvey... he doesnt hurt you on the scoreboard"
Ineteresting interview on this page regarding 2005 finals campaign
http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/ ... 72,00.html

Anyone pick up on the common element... relaxing in sunny QLD, getting paid, good golf course, he was very forgiving back then...

Seeya
stinger
Saintsational Legend

blights comments on 10 and rebroadcast by fox defamed the st kilda football club.........we should sue the bastard and the two networks....we would win too..... :twisted: :twisted: :evil: :evil: :evil:

...might get our million bucks back..... :wink: :lol:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
ThomasR
Club Player

Blight by name, blight by nature

Langi
Club Player

Isnt it ironic that whenever the saints get on a roll or are having a good run at winning the media go and find some dickwad from the past that has been unhappy at his treatment at st.kilda and encourage them to air their dirty linen in public and true to form st.kilda openly obliges.

Fair dinkum why do we always get sucked in and shoot ourselves in the foot, we are finally feeling good about ourselves and then this s*** comes up.

I just hope Ross and our current players can stay out of this latest crap and just continue to focus on the rest of this season, I know that they will but geez it pisses me off no end !!!!

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:[
Good post.....but not quite correct in that GT was Director of football...so he would have most likely have been the key shafter of MB....

not according to grant on the radio yesterday...said he had nothing to do with it.....

Hey I do not know who hired ...or fired Blight.

However I would have thought that the Board of the time would have hired and fired Blight?

I thought that at that time that GT was on Board and was Director of Football?

Is this the case?

If yes....would it not be a little odd that the Director of Football was not involved with the coaching appointment/firing in some way. If not why not?

Secondly would not have the whole Board, including GT, have endorsed the recommendation of whoever shortlisted Blight (which most likely would have included Waldon)...and then in term the decision to terminate him.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Sun 20 Jul 2008 8:34pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

not according to grant on the radio yesterday...said he had nothing to do with it

If you hate GT he is outright lying if you like him he is telling the truth. SR thinks he is lying.
1/ sorry Plugga..I did not hear the radio. What exactly did GT say?

2/

I don't hate GT.

I know you keep saying I do, but I don't.

I do however believe that he was the wrong person in charge of our club at our most likely chance of winning a flag in half a century.

For this I do not "hate " him. I just do not thing he was competent and I also do not like that he gained the job of head coach under false pretences.

Ditto for RB for inappropriately giving a then mate such a job.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote: I also do not like that he gained the job of head coach under false pretences.
Out of curiosity, why does this bother you?

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
saintsRrising wrote: I also do not like that he gained the job of head coach under false pretences.

1/ There are these odd concepts called ethics and morals.

If I have to explain them to you....then there is no point doing so.

2/ St KFC is actuallya club and the Board were meant to be acting in the best interests of the members and not just treating the Club as their own entity.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:

There are these odd concepts called ethics and morals.

If I have to explain them to you....then there is no point doing so.
But why does it bother you?

CeilidhSaint
Club Player

....and we care about these two now because?
We play the Beagles next week to put another win in the bag.
Time to move on but.......my memory tells me the players knew from day one his heart wasn't in it - that's enough for me.....

TB 1 - The Brightest Light on the Darkest Night - we miss you.
Think Globally, Act Sainterly
I have Phil Narkle's helmet
SENsei
Saintsational Legend

Interesting comments from Bickley and Brownless this morning. More evidence of the incompetence of Butterss and their board, which did include Grant Thomas.

Rewind to 2001. Grant Thomas was ejected from Malcolm's coaching box. The club also took extraordinary steps to 'record' the goings on in the coaches box in the Brisbane game at the Gabba. I believe it was this game that was the cause of Blight's demise along with the famed (but ultimately over blown) golf game.

However, I do know who was responsible for Blight's firing. Jason Cripps. As soon as Cripps was due for his comeback, and with a record in the offing, he demanded Blight's sacking so he could play under three different coaches in consecutive games.

Nothing surer.

Poster formerly known as SENsaintsational. More wisdom. More knowledge. Less name.
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

CeilidhSaint wrote:....and we care about these two now because?
Time to move on but.......my memory tells me the players knew from day one his heart wasn't in it - that's enough for me.....
I'm amazed anyone gives a shiit at all.

Actually, I'm not.

Butterss is gone. Thomas is gone.

And we won on Saturday night.

Yet the usual suspects want to talk about these guys still - and so passionately and with such venom.

Really odd. And quite sad I suppose.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
CeilidhSaint wrote:....and we care about these two now because?
I'm amazed anyone gives a shiit at all.

Actually, I'm not.

Butterss is gone. Thomas is gone.

And we won on Saturday night.

Yet the usual suspects want to talk about these guys still - and so passionately and with such venom.

Really odd. And quite sad I suppose.
True.

This is a non issue. About something that happened almost a decade ago.

Who gives a shyte.

All I care about is winning the next freakin game.

There is a premiership up for grabs still.

Someone has to deny Geelong.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
Club Player

TimeToShineFellas wrote:Malcolm Blight should have every right of reply to respond in the media about the article on Butterss written by Sheahan.
there are appropriate channels. half time sat night delayed telecast is not the appropriate forum. he should respond by editorial or article.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Here is my conspiracy theory.....

Blight actually did a lot of good for our club.....his appointment got Gehrig and Hamill to our club, and our membership grew very quickly....all huge and long lasting positives, let's not forget that.

Anyway, at the time of his sacking, we were on target for a Priority Pick yet again, and how convenient it was for RB/GT and the board to ditch Blight, and for Rod to give his mate the top job, with a great list already 3/4 built???

Stuff having decent prior experience, who needs it when nearly all the cattle are in the shed just waiting to grow and fire eh??

My old man had a very significant dealing with RB and thought of him a typical salesman - all charm/bells and whistles but unknown substance-wise.
Unfortunately I've never met RB, so can only report second hand, but he sounded a little untrustworthy.....

StSteven
Club Player

Chanel 7's Game Day reckons a lot more dirt to come out about that period and off field shenanigans!!!

They say it will be in the media soon.

bergsone
SS Life Member

Did RB get paid for interview that stirred up Blight,seems to me stirring up the past sells,move on.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

SENsaintsational wrote:Interesting comments from Bickley and Brownless this morning. More evidence of the incompetence of Butterss and their board, which did include Grant Thomas.
Not according to Plugger..Grant wasnt even there at the time it happened...he was out the back stuffing his pockets full of cash....had absolutely nothing to do with the decision whatsoever.... :shock:

And in other fairyland news......the Zimbabwean democratic election process has been hailed a raging success by the UN...... :roll: :shock:

“Yeah….nah””
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

To be fair to Plugger66, I read his post as saying GT claimed he had nothing to do with teh SACKING of Blight.

Not the hiring of him.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:To be fair to Plugger66, I read his post as saying GT claimed he had nothing to do with teh SACKING of Blight.

Not the hiring of him.
i actually got that Magic and think thats a croc TBH.

“Yeah….nah””
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:To be fair to Plugger66, I read his post as saying GT claimed he had nothing to do with teh SACKING of Blight.

Not the hiring of him.
You don't have to necessarily believe GT when he says he had no knowledge.

I must say I have great difficulty believing that the dismissal of Blight was discussed by members of the Board and contingancy plans were put in place for GT to take over as 'caretaker coach' without any input from him.

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:

Not the hiring of him.
I tend to agree. GT was definitely involved in the hiring and of the monitoring of Blight during the season as Football Director.

It seems incomprehensible to me that the Football Director wouldn't have significant input into his removal.

Poster formerly known as SENsaintsational. More wisdom. More knowledge. Less name.
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

SENsaintsational wrote:
Teflon wrote:

Not the hiring of him.
I tend to agree. GT was definitely involved in the hiring and of the monitoring of Blight during the season as Football Director.

It seems incomprehensible to me that the Football Director wouldn't have significant input into his removal.
Surely you're not questioning the memory/veracity of our previous coach?

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

SENsaintsational wrote:
Teflon wrote:

Not the hiring of him.

Indeed...something smells here..

Either GT knew...and more likely was involved rather than just knew...

OR was incompetent...I mean he was supposedly the Football Director...????? a Football Director of a club not at that time travelling well and with concerns about how it's coach is going. So hardy time to be asleep at the wheel one would think.
I mean fair dinkum...if he was not involved then why not???

THEN immediately becomes the "fill -in" coach.....on I think our SS court reporter had it $340,000 for the "balance" of the year. Quite amazing realy that he needed no time to think it over,,,,or to extract an over the top payment to be a fill in coach.