Football club or Boys choir.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

peter lockwood
Club Player

Football club or Boys choir.

It is a bloody joke that so many people on this forum have taken the higher ground and seem to be turning their noses up at some of our potential recruits.
I understand what the misgivings are towards both Ben and Nathan but if the club thinks that they fit our needs i will back them to the hilt.
People are rubbishing them for there drug and alchol problems and saying that "how can i give my kid bens number when...."'Hes no role model for them"get a grip.Unfortunately for these players their problems are plastered all over the media.Can everyone on this site say they have never done something wrong in their life.
People are quite happy to slag of other players from other clubs and think that the sun shines out of our boys.Milne and Joey were hung out to dry by the media and people that didnt know them thought they were pigs.Did you stick by them or follow the fold.Gtrain and his toliet incident did you down play it.King is in trouble now but nothing gets mentioned about him because he is a saint.Come on grow up and lets gets some mongrel back and win a premiership as a football club.And not moan and taddle like some little choir boy! :x

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Bad attitude gets in the way of good football. Can potentially lead others astray also.

A few bad eggs are okay, but you don't want to ruin the whole group with a bunch of them.

Hurricane
Saintsational Legend

Why cant we have good players WITH a good attitude?

Im sure there are a couple of players out there with both

BANG BANG

Mitsuharu Misawa 1962 - 2009.

I am vengeance....I am the night...I....AM.....BATMAN

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass and im all out of bubblegum
SAINT JUMP
Club Player

wonder what would be said about bc, if it was reverse, and he was going to collingwood. wonder if everyone would be so forgiving.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

g train did plenty bad yet was loved. what about milney?? what about plugger, joffa cunningham, nicky winmar. plenty of saints legends have been loose off field. the reason we havent won a flag is not ebcause of these guys who give their all on the field. its too many muppets running around in saints jumpers who cant get a kick in a stampede.

this role model for my kids stuff is pure crap. how about you be a good parent and be a role model yourself instead of trying to outsource it to footy players.

these guys are footy players . thats it. forget your role model crap. such a joke. hangover from the grant thomas propaganda years.

if u guys expect to get your role models from footy players you need to get a life of your own.

let these guys play footy and worry about your own family. frig me.
some people. what was it buddy said this year about some of his more obsessive fans?

oh let me guess buddy is a crap player because hes not a choir boy either.

yes there are exceptions (buckley, hird, banger etc) who are completely dedicated - but these guys arent normal.

id rather buddy or didak (awesome players but a little loose off field) than leigh fisher or some robot "good role model/nice boy you want to meet your granny" who unfortunately cant play.

harden the F*** up saints.

"not many choir boys win premierships" alan jeans.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

and for the record lets look the current premiers role models.

fair to say buddy, brownie, hodgey, guerra, changer, croady, crawf and lewis are not choir boys.

now without these guys clearly they could not have won. we are in the footy business. shove your rolemodels up your a$$ and harden the F*** up.

*edited by mod
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Tue 04 Nov 2008 9:53pm, edited 2 times in total.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote:Bad attitude gets in the way of good football. Can potentially lead others astray also.

Yes...but what is "bad attitide" exactly?

Carey

Locket

Hall

GaryAblett

Leigh Matthews (many that know him call him a real pr!ck).

Cowboy Neal

Carl Ditterich

Burns

Cunningham

Is it BA on the field...or off...or both???

I have known quite a few elite athletes in a number if different sports....both team and individual.

The more successful ones who have in common that they can be very VERY focussed... However that same trait also has made many a bit oblivious to the "needs" of others. Not all would be labeled "nice" pople due to this....though some most definately are.

A number of them also seem to have a touch of the obessive compulsive to them (ie just think of some of the tales about Harvey for example). This often allows them to really push themselves in training to become elite atheletes/footballers. But it also seems to pop out in soial past-times to.

For example social games even as innocous as Scrabble can become "grudge matches" rather than a bit of fun..

Then completely seperate from this
is that everyone is diffent. take 20 people...and you will find in that 20 that there are some you really click with...and others that you will "dislike"...

Then lastly...some people are just "pr!cks"...some of whom can play football.

If you onlt had Mr Cleans on your list...you would most likely havea god awful team.

Speaking of Mr Cleans...if you have listened to Banger talk....if you listen carefully you will understand that even the great Mr Clean Banger has had some bad boy times... :wink:

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
jays
Club Player

saints are angles compared to other clubs
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote:Bad attitude gets in the way of good football. Can potentially lead others astray also.

A few bad eggs are okay, but you don't want to ruin the whole group with a bunch of them.
clearly hawks were led astray by all their bad boys.

Harvey To Hayes
Club Player

jays wrote:saints are angles compared to other clubs
What sort of angles? Acute? Right? Obtuse? Reflex??

The future's so bright I've got to wear shades...
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

180 degree..... straight.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I may be niave, having only recently started a family, but surely "role model" is a word that is thrown around way to much? I would like to feel children can be brought up to distinguish the difference between having admiration for someone's ability on the football field, and choosing someone worthy of modelling their social behaviour on?

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

ohwhenthesaints! wrote:I may be niave, having only recently started a family, but surely "role model" is a word that is thrown around way to much? I would like to feel children can be brought up to distinguish the difference between having admiration for someone's ability on the football field, and choosing someone worthy of modelling their social behaviour on?
youd hope so.

little kids dont care. they just love the players. but when kids grow up they can distinguish between a fev and a hird.

on the other hand - youd hope that mum and dad are the real role models. people want to outsource parenting to strangers. footy players are just young guys trying to play footy. all this extra stuff we throw on them is silly.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

oh i dont want to sound old fashioned with "mum and dad' on the post above.

could also be dad and dad. grandma (if u are obama), mum and mum. dad. mum. dad and dog.
step dad. etc etc and all the other kinds of modern family :-)
:lol:

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:oh i dont want to sound old fashioned with "mum and dad' on the post above.

could also be dad and dad. grandma (if u are obama), mum and mum. dad. mum. dad and dog.
step dad. etc etc and all the other kinds of modern family :-)
:lol:
spare me the pc crap ffs............ :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
n1ck
Saintsational Legend

post has been edited, responses deleted.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

sorry

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

While I'm surprised how hung up some seem on the personal demons of some of these potential recruits, I think we need to remember that we Saints fans have seen at least our fair share of wasted talent as players came in for a good time instead of a long time.

Personally, I love that our club is at a place where there's some confidence that we can be a good influence rather than an enabler.I remain aware of how easy it is to slide back.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

Con Gorozidis wrote:g train did plenty bad yet was loved. what about milney?? what about plugger, joffa cunningham, nicky winmar. plenty of saints legends have been loose off field. the reason we havent won a flag is not ebcause of these guys who give their all on the field. its too many muppets running around in saints jumpers who cant get a kick in a stampede.

this role model for my kids stuff is pure crap. how about you be a good parent and be a role model yourself instead of trying to outsource it to footy players.

these guys are footy players . thats it. forget your role model crap. such a joke. hangover from the grant thomas propaganda years.

if u guys expect to get your role models from footy players you need to get a life of your own.

some people. what was it buddy said this year about some of his more obsessive fans?

yes there are exceptions (buckley, hird, banger etc) who are completely dedicated - but these guys arent normal.

id rather buddy or didak (awesome players but a little loose off field) than leigh fisher or some robot "good role model/nice boy you want to meet your granny" who unfortunately cant play.

As far as role models go, etc...

Post of the year IMHO.

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
PLUGGER14
Club Player

WayneJudson42 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:g train did plenty bad yet was loved. what about milney?? what about plugger, joffa cunningham, nicky winmar. plenty of saints legends have been loose off field. the reason we havent won a flag is not ebcause of these guys who give their all on the field. its too many muppets running around in saints jumpers who cant get a kick in a stampede.

Post of the year IMHO.
I heard Wayne Bennett speak of the fixation the media have on his players being role models. He basically said the same thing as Con - The best role model is a parent. Footy players are only kids themselves.

Batnoe

PLUGGER14 wrote:
WayneJudson42 wrote:

Post of the year IMHO.
I heard Wayne Bennett speak of the fixation the media have on his players being role models. He basically said the same thing as Con - The best role model is a parent. Footy players are only kids themselves.

Robert Harvey is a very old kid!

Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

I have only ever supported the fact that the first and foremost role model is the parent/guardian – the first point of contact in the “homeâ€

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

Ok, so is if a champion player played for just $50,000 is he still a role model?

Kids will always have heroes... we did, ours will... and theirs will too.

Just because someone is looked upon a s a rolemodel doesn't give them super powers or make them immune from the pitfalls of life.

It's an "iffy" at best topic. Look at Shane Warne... best bowler of all times IMO, leader of men... had the capacity to turn a game before bowling a single ball.

Yet, off field???

In a cricketing sense, he was a role model... in life he isn't. The key is to get our kids to know the difference.

What I will state categorically, is that the greatest ills in our society are:

1- the cult of celebrity.

2- the marketing stereotyping thrust upon kids about how their appearance etc.

IMHO of course.

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

WayneJudson42 wrote:Ok, so is if a champion player played for just $50,000 is he still a role model?

Kids will always have heroes... we did, ours will... and theirs will too.

Just because someone is looked upon a s a rolemodel doesn't give them super powers or make them immune from the pitfalls of life.

It's an "iffy" at best topic. Look at Shane Warne... best bowler of all times IMO, leader of men... had the capacity to turn a game before bowling a single ball.

Yet, off field???

In a cricketing sense, he was a role model... in life he isn't. The key is to get our kids to know the difference.
Do you have a proactive alert monitor on for when I make a post? :wink:

Have always maintained that, whatever it was you said...

Yeah that's it, about the parents - you won't find a post of mine putting a footballer above a parent...

A 50K v 500K role model is the same, just thought I'd use 500K player as the kids most likely go for the HIGHER profile players as they are usually the media savvy, Brownlow winning/Premiership players/close to players...

Next?

Beekay
SS Life Member

I believe it is up to the footballer to decide if he wants to be a role model or not.

Many just dream of playing footy and earning big bucks. Nothing else. They sign up for nothing else.

If all footballers have a responsibility to behave like a role model, then are the players that keep to themselves not taking on the responsibility?

If children cannot identify a decent role model, or haven't been taught by teachers or parents about what is a decent role model, then they are pretty much stuffed.

The cold hard truth is that true role models are rare and that the majority of people in this world are f@$k ups and the sooner that lesson is learnt the better.

Set your own standards and don't piggy back on these so called heroes and idols.

They are just average blokes who can kick a ball and are making a killing. Kicking a ball and money. Is that really a good foundation for a true role model?

If I have kids they can wear players numbers on their backs, have their badges, but when grow up they better bloody be thinking for themselves and not using a poster to model their life - get out there and live, make mistakes, learn, have a real look at yourself and become a real role model for your friends and family.