ST KILDA DECIDES NOT TO PROCEED WITH BEN COUSINS

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

kosifantutti23
SS Hall of Fame

Can't believe all the rubbish I'm reading.

The Saints are one of 15 clubs (Eagles included) who have decided not to pursue Ben Cousins. They did due diligence, weighed up the pros and cons and said no. Maybe it was sponsors, maybe it was playing list, maybe it was Ben's attitude. Who knows? But the board were in a better position than any of us to make the decision.

If we had said no from the start, would people have been happierl?

Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

Saintschampions08 wrote:
Iceman234 wrote:
Saintschampions08 wrote:Can't wait to see him ripping all the teams that said no, (including us), a new a-hole next year.

I hope to god he gets the chance to play with Brisbane next year, deserves a shot and i'm sure if he gets it he'll deliver.
So you are also happy to see all the other de-listed players we have said no to, ripping us a new a-hole.

Re-ass ess where your loyalties are.

Can't even say he's gone, move on.

He was NEVER here.
He basically was.

The club hyped it up to every little inch without saying no.

They had several meetings with him, in cafe's, in restaurants...the team captain said basically said he would like to play with him.

Go figure why 80% of the board is extremely dissapointed, it's because the club built it up and then destroyed it with an anti-climax.

The club, if it truly didn't want him because of 'youth' issues, shouldn't have had the need to pursue him this aggressively.
Do they do it to every player they think about recruiting? No.
No, he basically wasn't.

And never was.

It was always up to the meeting tonight.

And they have done their due diligence to death, and decided NO.

He is not our problem and never was.

chook23
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti23 wrote:Can't believe all the rubbish I'm reading.

The Saints are one of 15 clubs (Eagles included) who have decided not to pursue Ben Cousins. They did due diligence, weighed up the pros and cons and said no. Maybe it was sponsors, maybe it was playing list, maybe it was Ben's attitude. Who knows? But the board were in a better position than any of us to make the decision.

If we had said no from the start, would people have been happierl?
true

but boards at many clubs have made bad decisions over the years

saint4life
makaveli
Club Player

Ive watched this forum for years... Saints fan all my life....

Very very dissapointed in the club...

I dont think this is about the body shave...

This is about sponsorship....

I feel quite misled that this board promised "footy first"...

What a joke!

Trident

"the clubs hands were tied firstly by the AFL & then by Ben himself."

It's very depressing the influence the AFL has over clubs.
Would not surprise me in the slightest if the AFL intervened to BC's detriment.

Tough luck to the supporters. Vindication for the naysayers ?

Either way, one bold decision.

EDIT: Do threads implode on this forum after 19 pages? Or just this one?
Last edited by Trident on Wed 26 Nov 2008 11:44am, edited 2 times in total.

Saintschampions08
Club Player

Iceman234 wrote:
Saintschampions08 wrote:
Iceman234 wrote:
Saintschampions08 wrote:Can't wait to see him ripping all the teams that said no, (including us), a new a-hole next year.

I hope to god he gets the chance to play with Brisbane next year, deserves a shot and i'm sure if he gets it he'll deliver.
So you are also happy to see all the other de-listed players we have said no to, ripping us a new a-hole.

He was NEVER here.
He basically was.

They had several meetings with him, in cafe's, in restaurants...the team captain said basically said he would like to play with him.

Go figure why 80% of the board is extremely dissapointed, it's because the club built it up and then destroyed it with an anti-climax.

The club, if it truly didn't want him because of 'youth' issues, shouldn't have had the need to pursue him this aggressively.
No, he basically wasn't.

And never was.

I'm explaining why most saints supporters are dissapointed in the decision.

It's obvious you don't like him whatsoever, but, to the people with a less hating approach to recovering drug addicts he seemed like a very cheap solution to one of our major team weaknesses.

The club then led us on a 5month 'pretend we want him' chase, only to tell us at the very end...we don't want him because he's too old.

The most clear and obvious bulls*** in the world...theirs no other word for it.

Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

Wow lots of 1 posters here tonight.

Gday Caro, Hutchy, Patrick etc......

FraserGehrig
Club Player

Can't believe it. Poor decision St.Kilda

vacuous space
SS Life Member

Iceman234 wrote:It was always up to the meeting tonight.
It was only up to the meeting tonight after the board scheduled to deliberate tonight.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
sainter35
Club Player

Well I've got to say it's going to take me a lot longer than the 2 or 3 hours that it has seemingly taken our supporters in this thread to get over this.

We had a chance to take a punt on a player who would strengthen our list immeasurably.

Year after year we hand over our membership fees hoping that this is the season that we can finally win a flag after all these years. For most of us the first opportunity to see us a win that elusive premiership,.

Remember this board was overwhelmingly voted in by our members with the mandate to substantially increase spending on our football department with the aim to make us more competitive and give us a greater opportunity of winning a premiership. As far as I'm concerned they haven't done that tonight.

I'm really, really angry tonight. If people want to go ahead and attack me and anybody else on our support for this football club then go right ahead.

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

Saintschampions08 wrote:
Iceman234 wrote:

He was NEVER here.
He basically was.

Sook.

FFS, the club looked into him for 5 farking months and left no stone untruned. If it was that simple, we'd have a different outcome.

So does reviewing a player as a potential recruit mean that the club made a commitment??? No it does NOT.

The reason it took so long was because of the BC's circumstaces and history. If he was a cleanskin, it would not have taken so bloody long.

Special case... special approach required.

You and others are blaming the club for your own dissapointment, regardless of the reasons (which we do not know) why they gave the thumbs down.

The reaction has been nothing short of immature, ridiculous, and downright stupid IMO.

17 farken pages of sh1t for BC? Give me a break, ffs. :roll:

Hopefully the reasons why will come out, and common sense prevails. Then I'd like to see everyone line up to apologise to the club and fellow supporters.

As someone mentioned... X Clarke Snr passed away to day. Get some perspective people. FFS! :roll:

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
linz
Club Player

The Board makes decisions based on facts presented to them. They represent the members. (even the dubious ones)

We'll never know what facts were presented to them regarding Ben but I would assume (by their decision) that the Board believes Ben is still either a user or a likely user of drugs in the near future.

I don't know all the facts but I have faith in our Board.

I once spent a year in Adelaide, I think it was on a Sunday.
makaveli
Club Player

linz wrote:I don't know all the facts but I have faith in our Board.
Most Germans didnt know all the facts... but had faith in Hitler...

Just because they are in a position of power does not make them right...
Last edited by makaveli on Tue 25 Nov 2008 11:08pm, edited 1 time in total.

Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

Saintschampions08 wrote:
Iceman234 wrote:
Saintschampions08 wrote:
Iceman234 wrote:

He was NEVER here.
He basically was.

No, he basically wasn't.

And never was.

I'm explaining why most saints supporters are dissapointed in the decision.

It's obvious you don't like him whatsoever, but, to the people with a less hating approach to recovering drug addicts he seemed like a very cheap solution to one of our major team weaknesses.

The club then led us on a 5month 'pretend we want him' chase, only to tell us at the very end...we don't want him because he's too old.

The most clear and obvious bulls*** in the world...theirs no other word for it.
Sorry mate, I have a lot of time for recovering drug addicts. Ben wasn't one of them though. Although I never wish the worst and hope he gets his life back on track. Just not with us.

The club did a lot more than other clubs, which is surely to their credit, they ran it to the eleventh hour and obviously had a lot more info than you or I have.

I fail to understand why some can't understand that the board has obviously made an educated decision.

Had they chosen him, you wouldn't have seen me on here throwing around the hatred to the board that the pro-BC group has.

My comments would have been "I don't like the decision, but if he's a Saint I'll support him as a Saint. But still not the sort of bloke I like at the club".

However those who were pro-BC have just been disgraceful in "defeat".

Think about it.
Last edited by Iceman234 on Tue 25 Nov 2008 11:09pm, edited 1 time in total.

Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

makaveli wrote:
Most Germans had faith in Hitler...

But he wasnt on the money..
Good 2nd post Caro...

:roll:

Saintschampions08
Club Player

WayneJudson42 wrote:
Saintschampions08 wrote:
Iceman234 wrote:

He was NEVER here.
He basically was.

Sook.

FFS, the club looked into him for 5 farking months and left no stone untruned. If it was that simple, we'd have a different outcome.

So does reviewing a player as a potential recruit mean that the club made a commitment??? No it does NOT.

The reason it took so long was because of the BC's circumstaces and history. If he was a cleanskin, it would not have taken so bloody long.

Special case... special approach required.

You and others are blaming the club for your own dissapointment, regardless of the reasons (which we do not know) why they gave the thumbs down.

The reaction has been nothing short of immature, ridiculous, and downright stupid IMO.

17 farken pages of sh1t for BC? Give me a break, ffs. :roll:

Hopefully the reasons why will come out, and common sense prevails. Then I'd like to see everyone line up to apologise to the club and fellow supporters.

As someone mentioned... X Clarke Snr passed away to day. Get some perspective people. FFS! :roll:
If the actual reasons come out, i will apologise. I'll send a bloody letter.

They won't, They never do.

The club spent 5 months checking a player out, probably told players to make positive statements about this club in the press, then at the end of it all...said he is too old to recruit.

realdeal
Club Player

He basically was.

Do they do it to every player they think about recruiting? No.[/quote]

exactly! my blood is boiling. when are we (st.kilda) going to get with the program and grow some. im sick off it. even opposition supporters don't get it.

its more than just us tho, its sad for AFL and people in general getting a 2nd chance, but thats the society we now live in.

FortiusQuoFidelius
Club Player

Saintschampions08 wrote:
There was no hype from the club... The only hype was from uninformed and uneducated supporters.

The club has made their decision... now move on. We have a premiership to win in 2009!

linz
Club Player

makaveli wrote:

And going by the number of posts you've made you'd be a qualified "JOFFA"

I once spent a year in Adelaide, I think it was on a Sunday.
WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

kosifantutti23 wrote:Can't believe all the rubbish I'm reading.
I can... but then again, i've probably been here longer than you :wink:

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
Saintschampions08
Club Player

FortiusQuoFidelius wrote:
Saintschampions08 wrote:
There was no hype from the club... The only hype was from uninformed and uneducated supporters.

The club has made their decision... now move on. We have a premiership to win in 2009!
All the positive press interviews?

All the leaking to papers about how we met him at some seaford cafe...

No hype whatsoever?

tweedaletomanning
Club Player

sainter35 wrote:Well I've got to say it's going to take me a lot longer than the 2 or 3 hours that it has seemingly taken our supporters in this thread to get over this.

We had a chance to take a punt on a player who would strengthen our list immeasurably.

Year after year we hand over our membership fees hoping that this is the season that we can finally win a flag after all these years. For most of us the first opportunity to see us a win that elusive premiership,.

Remember this board was overwhelmingly voted in by our members with the mandate to substantially increase spending on our football department with the aim to make us more competitive and give us a greater opportunity of winning a premiership. As far as I'm concerned they haven't done that tonight.

I'm really, really angry tonight. If people want to go ahead and attack me and anybody else on our support for this football club then go right ahead.
Unfortunately....You are Spot on..

Because of Two weak minded lawyers on our board, we have blown a golden opportunity to strengthen our list enough to challenge for the 2009 flag.

makaveli
Club Player

Iceman234 wrote:
makaveli wrote:

Good 2nd post Caro...

:roll:
I didnt realise the number of posts I had against my name made reference to how passionate I am about this club...

I think the club were in a great position to take someone who could add a great deal to our midfield...

Just a dissapointed member... Like most I guess...

chook23
Saintsational Legend

FortiusQuoFidelius wrote:
Saintschampions08 wrote:

agree

but must say had you not followed this on the Official saints website
plenty of hype type articles.....

but as you say lets just win a flag

saint4life
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

The board never promised the fans anything with regards to Ben Cousins

The board never said we are going to draft Ben Cousins

The board always maintained that a decision on drafting Ben Cousins would be made at a meeting tonight

The fans hyped Ben Cousins coming St Kilda

The media hyped Ben Cousins coming to St Kilda

Tonight the board did everything possible to come to an unbiased educated decision

and that decision was NOT to draft Ben Cousins

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!