The Richmond Situation Vs. Ours

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bob__71
Club Player

If Ben Cousins was not clean and free of associating with the drug scene, then I think the club has a duty of care to Michael Gardiner. Not saying he wont still hang with Ben but that will be his choice, not based on a decision of the club.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

The word redeem and redemption is used a lot, and it really is appropriate. He is soley in control of recovering possesion of his life, and I for one wish him well...

Saints94
SS Life Member

For some reason i thought we kept Gardiner to lure BC

sendmehomehappy
Club Player

Look, from a purely footy perspective I was as disappointed as hell, like so many others, that Benny did not end up with the saints...we all know what he is capable of on the field..and we all hope he can go close to recapturing that form again...even if he is wearing black and yellow. Good luck to him and it is all in his own hands.

Others have said it...with frustration...why are we still in the dark about the real reasons why the board did not pick him up.

Sure they're concerned about possibilities of relapse, penalties, a detrimental effect on our new club culture, bad influence on players, supporters and a slur on the brand...rightly so...all possibly balanced out by his ability. But what was the nub of it that turned them away...and how did they get that info?

We are not stupid..we understand this....and grudgingly mostly accept the boards decision as I have and with reading the good points made by many contributors here.

But my point is that BC is a friggin media circus...there are rumours and innuendos and suppositions and hunches flying around thick and fast, and it is all just such a giant press wankfest. Look at the 'Heavily Suspect' last night or today...about 8 BC bylines before a story about the draft.

and we Saint supporters are kept in the dark...after such a big build up.

Whatever the specifics off the matter are...they will come out in time; perhaps the timing of this will be bad for BC...

BC is at a club now..it is better for every one and especially for him, if they come out now, in the early preseason...we can discuss them and so can everyone else, he can deal with any repercousins now, and then get on with the job with support and nothing hanging over him hopefully.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

bob__71 wrote:If Ben Cousins was not clean and free of associating with the drug scene, then I think the club has a duty of care to Michael Gardiner. Not saying he wont still hang with Ben but that will be his choice, not based on a decision of the club.
You old blokes need to get out a bit more.

See the nightlife.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

sendmehomehappy wrote:
But my point is that BC is a friggin media circus...there are rumours and innuendos and suppositions and hunches flying around thick and fast, and it is all just such a giant press wankfest.
A media wankfest that looks to have resulted in a couple more thousand memberships at Richmond.

Why is everyone so scared of the press?

Alastair Clarkson and Hawthorn were press enemy number 1. Didn't seem to bother them much.

Richter
SS Life Member

rodgerfox wrote:
sendmehomehappy wrote:
But my point is that BC is a friggin media circus...there are rumours and innuendos and suppositions and hunches flying around thick and fast, and it is all just such a giant press wankfest.
A media wankfest that looks to have resulted in a couple more thousand memberships at Richmond.

Why is everyone so scared of the press?

Alastair Clarkson and Hawthorn were press enemy number 1. Didn't seem to bother them much.
Quite right. It isn't just a media wankfest. I stopped in at Punt Road on my way up to work today. Probably a couple of thousand Tiger fans there. Course there were plenty of journos, but the average Tiger fan is all over this. They love it.

So what if BC brings a doco crew with him. He's been the hottest story in the AFL over the last few months.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

In order to make myself accountable somewhere else entirely, I'm putting this on the record here (seems as good a place as any, surely doesn't need another thread) so I can look it up mid season (right or wrong).
--
PREDICTION:

By round 12, there will be 12 clubs regretting not taking Cousins (Geel and Haw are good enough to steer clear of the drama, WCE wasn't a real option, and Richmond got the goose).

Class player. Time off deals with hamstrings. Endurance athlete so age won't matter. If he stays clean, he can play another 5 years if he wants to, and he barely found a home.

Everyone was scared off by the drama, it took Richmond's fans making it clear that they would support the move to get him a home anywhere. Once the games set in, and the reality of the difference a player of that caliber makes hits home on the scoreboard, plenty will tell themselves the risk was too great. It wasn't, but I've made my point.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
sendmehomehappy
Club Player

BAM said...

"Everyone was scared off by the drama, it took Richmond's fans making it clear that they would support the move to get him a home anywhere. "

To be fair to the average Joe mug Sainter-- we were led to believe, for a long time, that BC was the lad for us. Most of us were utterly shocked and stupefied when he was refused by our board...for specifics we still do not understand...even if we can guess about generalities. We did not march on Linton St. because we did not expect we needed to.

The tiger punter however had time to digest our anger, the Lion refusal and when the sniff of BC came up for their club, the word got around quickly and they did what any success starved group of supporters would have done(including us) in the circumstances...so good on them.

So, don't be too hard on us poor St.Kilda mushies.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

BAM! (shhhh) wrote:In order to make myself accountable somewhere else entirely, I'm putting this on the record here (seems as good a place as any, surely doesn't need another thread) so I can look it up mid season (right or wrong).
--
PREDICTION:

By round 12, there will be 12 clubs regretting not taking Cousins (Geel and Haw are good enough to steer clear of the drama, WCE wasn't a real option, and Richmond got the goose).

Class player. Time off deals with hamstrings. Endurance athlete so age won't matter. If he stays clean, he can play another 5 years if he wants to, and he barely found a home.

Everyone was scared off by the drama, it took Richmond's fans making it clear that they would support the move to get him a home anywhere. Once the games set in, and the reality of the difference a player of that caliber makes hits home on the scoreboard, plenty will tell themselves the risk was too great. It wasn't, but I've made my point.
Point taken (scribbles down on pad).

Only teams with a lousy midfield will regret not having picked up BC...we don't, and have not in the last 5 years suffered any lack of top class midfielders. We had a top 4 team last year, some careful management of new players will see us in the finals again.

We didn't need BC, Richmond very much require another midfielder to help Kane Johnson out, as he's now 30.

sendmehomehappy
Club Player

Richter wrote,

"Quite right. It isn't just a media wankfest. I stopped in at Punt Road on my way up to work today. Probably a couple of thousand Tiger fans there. Course there were plenty of journos, but the average Tiger fan is all over this. They love it."

And about time there was some long overdue goodnews based on current reality for BC.

Good luck to Richmond for their guts, and their supporters for giving a bloke a go.

Their sponsors must be loving the spotlight....surely people will not stop buying whatever at DS even if BC does f... up big time!

But how many less J doors will black and yellow supporters, and many others, buy, due to this sponsor's perceived sanctimony?

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Anyone seeing the humour in Richmond taking a "punt" :D

vacuous space
SS Life Member

degruch wrote:Only teams with a lousy midfield will regret not having picked up BC...
If Cousins plays well, everyone is going to regret not havinhg BC. Every narrow loss where our midfield gets beaten is going to leave people wondering what if.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

vacuous space wrote:
degruch wrote:Only teams with a lousy midfield will regret not having picked up BC...
If Cousins plays well, everyone is going to regret not havinhg BC. Every narrow loss where our midfield gets beaten is going to leave people wondering what if.
Maybe that's the problem. Too many supporters always wondering "what if"?

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
degruch
Saintsational Legend

vacuous space wrote:
I get your point, but if we lost narrowly I'd be looking at our on-ground performance, coaching, injuries, weather conditions, how many red white black cars were parked in the carpark, before I'd fret over having not picked up Benny. Honestly, we are much better off starting to blood youngster in the midfield than being crushed under the weight of BC's press.

spert
Saintsational Legend

I remember us playing against the WCE and beating them, with Cousins doing well for the WCE.

Saints94
SS Life Member

spert wrote:I remember us playing against the WCE and beating them, with Cousins doing well for the WCE.
I remember beating them in Harvs 350th :P

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

Well, it looks like my hunch was correct. All this talk about "balls" etc.

Just heard from a business colleague who lunches with Sheedy every 2 weeks that Sheeds has played a massive role to resurrect Ben's career...

and that the decision was taken because of Sheed's assurances that he would take responsibility for taking care of Benny. Allegedly

Additionally, a well known restaurant family also pledged a multiple six-figure donation if the recruited him... about 10 days ago. alledgedly.

Take it as you wish.

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
vacuous space
SS Life Member

spert wrote:I remember us playing against the WCE and beating them, with Cousins doing well for the WCE.
The last time we beat a lineup with Cousins in it was R9, 2004. He didn't play in Harvey's 350th. Cousins routinely gives us a belting. He averages 30 touches a game against us since that game in 04 and over 25 touches a game over the course of his career.

On the field, he's a great player. Not getting him makes it tougher for us to win games.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
Saints94
SS Life Member

vacuous space wrote:
The last time we beat a lineup with Cousins in it was R9, 2004. He didn't play in Harvey's 350th. Cousins routinely gives us a belting. He averages 30 touches a game against us since that game in 04 and over 25 touches a game over the course of his career.

On the field, he's a great player. Not getting him makes it tougher for us to win games.
What I was saying, was that the last time we bet the eagles was in Harvs 350th :wink:

degruch
Saintsational Legend

WayneJudson42 wrote:Well, it looks like my hunch was correct. All this talk about "balls" etc.

Just heard from a business colleague who lunches with Sheedy every 2 weeks that Sheeds has played a massive role to resurrect Ben's career...

and that the decision was taken because of Sheed's assurances that he would take responsibility for taking care of Benny.

Additionally, a well known restaurant family also pledged a multiple six-figure donation if the recruited him... about 10 days ago.

Take it as you wish.
Ooooo, I'd love to see that one come unstuck...nothing better than seeing Sheeds' messiah complex come crashing to the deck. Did he say how 'the great man' was going to achieve these assurances? I can't ever remember hearing Sheedy and Cousins having an off-field relationship, but who knows...maybe Sheeds is the Godfather and will put a freeze on BC's ice supply?

There's just too many what ifs in this scenario, maybe Richmond have got balls, but it seems to me they're going in totally blind, that'd be stupidity.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:
WayneJudson42 wrote:Well, it looks like my hunch was correct. All this talk about "balls" etc.

and that the decision was taken because of Sheed's assurances that he would take responsibility for taking care of Benny.

Additionally, a well known restaurant family also pledged a multiple six-figure donation if the recruited him... about 10 days ago.

Take it as you wish.
Ooooo, I'd love to see that one come unstuck...nothing better than seeing Sheeds' messiah complex come crashing to the deck. Did he say how 'the great man' was going to achieve these assurances? I can't ever remember hearing Sheedy and Cousins having an off-field relationship, but who knows...maybe Sheeds is the Godfather and will put a freeze on BC's ice supply?

There's just too many what ifs in this scenario, maybe Richmond have got balls, but it seems to me they're going in totally blind, that'd be stupidity.
On Sheeds- Wallace said he hadn't spoken to him for some months
on the restaurant if you mean Dimmatinnas then Frank himself rang radio and flately denied it
and as far as his 'connections- he does not seem to plan to 'disconnect'
During the media conference, Cousins' manager Ricky Nixon had an angry exchange with a television journalist who asked several questions about his alleged links with gangland figures.

But Cousins admitted the latest to be linked with him - accused murderer Angelo Venditti - was an associate of his.

"I know Angelo Venditti, yeah," he said.

"My association or friendship or contact with him has been nothing to with anything of a criminal nature and as far as I'm aware, I don't think he's been convicted yet, but that's not for me to go into."

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

saintbrat wrote:
degruch wrote:

Take it as you wish.

On Sheeds- Wallace said he hadn't spoken to him for some months
on the restaurant if you mean Dimmatinnas then Frank himself rang radio and flately denied it
and as far as his 'connections- he does not seem to plan to 'disconnect'
During the media conference, Cousins' manager Ricky Nixon had an angry exchange with a television journalist who asked several questions about his alleged links with gangland figures.

But Cousins admitted the latest to be linked with him - accused murderer Angelo Venditti - was an associate of his.

"I know Angelo Venditti, yeah," he said.

"My association or friendship or contact with him has been nothing to with anything of a criminal nature and as far as I'm aware, I don't think he's been convicted yet, but that's not for me to go into."
What a crock by Wallace... Sheed's has been working on this for a while. To think that Wallace was never consulted is um... well draw your own conclusions.

As for Frank... he wouldn't be the first to deny anything. Who knows?

degruch
Saintsational Legend

If Sheeds had been working on it for a while, you'd safely assume that Richmond would have picked him before us, regardless of the St Kilda board's decision. Then we wouldn't have 900 threads jacking off about how great the Richmond Football Club is (relief).

By the way...Richmond vs St Kilda: will Polak go on to their LTI list, will Allen go on to our LTI list? Seemed Richmond were quite happy to hang Polak out to dry, will they follow through and promote a rookie? Will we be putting Allen on the LTI list and promoting a rookie?

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

degruch wrote:If Sheeds had been working on it for a while, you'd safely assume that Richmond would have picked him before us, regardless of the St Kilda board's decision. Then we wouldn't have 900 threads jacking off about how great the Richmond Football Club is (relief).

By the way...Richmond vs St Kilda: will Polak go on to their LTI list, will Allen go on to our LTI list? Seemed Richmond were quite happy to hang Polak out to dry, will they follow through and promote a rookie? Will we be putting Allen on the LTI list and promoting a rookie?
the funniest thing about this is that we managed to win quite a few games and make the finals in 04, 05, 06, and 08 without BC. Now for some reasoon, we are doomed because we don't have him...

Go figure. :lol: