Saintsational/Moorabbin Wing Magazine/Newsletter

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Saint Bev
SS Life Member

Around 10 years ago a group of supporters put together a small magazine that was just fantastic, can't think what it was called now. They use to sell it out at Waverley. Was around for about 3 years but eventually the club stopped them from selling them at the games.

Times have changed since then and we now have the internet where you can do a newsletter without having to worry about cost. Anyone can do a newsletter. Also a guy in Sydney use to do one called the Esaint.

I know us interstate supporters love this type of thing as we are so starved of footy. I would definately email our group if one was available as I am no writer.

Qld Saints Supporter Group
mcadam05
Club Player

Saint Bev wrote:Around 10 years ago a group of supporters put together a small magazine that was just fantastic, can't think what it was called now. They use to sell it out at Waverley. Was around for about 3 years but eventually the club stopped them from selling them at the games .
the Mag your talking about was called " Marching in " went for 6issues over 2yrs
The thing about selling at Waverley was that the AFL didnt like any compertion for the footy record so it was them and not the club that didnt let the mag be sold

heres a list of mags that have come out over the years on our Great Club

1923 - 25 , 32 - 35 - The Football Review (got a footy card with every issue)
1958 - early 60s? - Saints Newsletter
1965-69,74-08 - The Saint (various Formats )
1991 - The Little Saint
1994 - Plugger Comix
1994 - Saints Spotlight
1995 - All-Saints
1996 - ? - Saints at Moorabbin *
1997 - 98 - Marching In
2000 - 01 - Spider Club newsletter
* love some more info on this :)

Selhurst Saint
Club Player

I was involved in both the "Saints at Moorabbin" newsletters and "Marching In" to various degrees. I probably still have copies of most of them.

We also produced the massively popular "Night Premiers" T-Shirt. We literally sold thousands and all money ended back with the club.

Don Hanly had us kicked out of AFL Park for selling "Marching In". He and the AFL thought it competed with the Footy record, what a joke. It struggled on for a little while after that but not being able to sell at games crippled it. Terrible shame.

I know someone who frequents this board who would have copies of all mags/newsletters but I suspect he would prefer to remain anonymous.

"...If there has been one recurring theme through this whole shocking mess, it has been the misguided, inflated egos and their ill-judged determination to cling to long-standing old boy friendships. The bad advice that has guided the selfish and culpable James Hird has not only punctuated this saga but symbolised it..."
mcadam05
Club Player

Selhurst Saint wrote:I was involved in both the "Saints at Moorabbin" newsletters and "Marching In" to various degrees. I probably still have copies of most of them.

We also produced the massively popular "Night Premiers" T-Shirt. We literally sold thousands and all money ended back with the club.

Don Hanly had us kicked out of AFL Park for selling "Marching In". He and the AFL thought it competed with the Footy record, what a joke. It struggled on for a little while after that but not being able to sell at games crippled it. Terrible shame.

I know someone who frequents this board who would have copies of all mags/newsletters but I suspect he would prefer to remain anonymous.
love some info on the" Saints at Moorabbin" newsletter years it ran, how many editions etc

Selhurst Saint
Club Player

mcadam05 wrote:
Selhurst Saint wrote:I was involved in both the "Saints at Moorabbin" newsletters and "Marching In" to various degrees. I probably still have copies of most of them.

love some info on the" Saints at Moorabbin" newsletter years it ran, how many editions etc
The newsletter started in about 1993/94 as an information bulletin in relation to the move from Moorabbin that updated the groups progress in that area. It evolved into a fanzine type of publication that wound up in about 1996.

I will see what copies I can find.

"...If there has been one recurring theme through this whole shocking mess, it has been the misguided, inflated egos and their ill-judged determination to cling to long-standing old boy friendships. The bad advice that has guided the selfish and culpable James Hird has not only punctuated this saga but symbolised it..."