Training report summary

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

mick13
Club Player

Wouldn't really consider BJ an a$$hole, but I think he will step up to take Max's spot.

saintwill66
Club Player

Brendon Goddard has the same hard, angry attitude to winning a contest that characterises Max Hudghton's game, hates to lose to an opponent and gets fired up when team mates don't have the same intensity they do.

I would have Goddard as captain because he is a genuine leader and reads the game better than anyone including Riewoldt. Play him as ruck-rover and he'll always be where the ball is, has a big tank to do so, can kick the ball a mile, accurate disposal and does not get the yips in front of goals. BJ is the complete package and that's why I believe he would make a great skipper.

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

saintwill66 wrote:Brendon Goddard has the same hard, angry attitude to winning a contest that characterises Max Hudghton's game, hates to lose to an opponent and gets fired up when team mates don't have the same intensity they do.

I would have Goddard as captain because he is a genuine leader and reads the game better than anyone including Riewoldt. Play him as ruck-rover and he'll always be where the ball is, has a big tank to do so, can kick the ball a mile, accurate disposal and does not get the yips in front of goals. BJ is the complete package and that's why I believe he would make a great skipper.
I completely agree, I think he has transformed himself into a real hard working, skillful Mark Riccutio type player and I love it!!

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
sainters man
Club Player

Goddard is paying $501 to win the brownlow, with him getting more midfield time and his great skills and attitude never know

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

sainters man wrote:Goddard is paying $501 to win the brownlow, with him getting more midfield time and his great skills and attitude never know
Yells at umpires too much. No chance

Solar
Saintsational Legend

sainters man wrote:Goddard is paying $501 to win the brownlow, with him getting more midfield time and his great skills and attitude never know
whats he paying for a place... that would be a value bet

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:
I would suggest that has little or no bearing on getting votes.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
mad saint guy wrote:
I would argue that it does. History is littered with examples, both saints and non-saints !!

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
mad saint guy wrote:
I would argue that it does. History is littered with examples, both saints and non-saints !!
I dont agree. Name a game an umpire has not given votes because he was abused.

Pilgram
Club Player

who on our list wants a brownlow anyway?
sure, it would be nice, but do you think max gives an F about nice?

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

get off your high horse....I have read two posts tonight and both have contained smug replies....

LJ will need added strength or he will be thrown around like a rag doll, and will be bumped off the ball in EVERY CONTEST he enters....

Umpires are human, they will not always give deserved votes to guys they don't like and visa versa (Adam Goodes)....bias is human nature...as is following the media awards, and noticing players more.....

Goddard will NOT win a brownlow in the near future....this will have a little to do with it....he gets harshly dealt with by the umps in some games already

n1ck
Saintsational Legend

True that.

He is penalised with free kicks that are undeserved more than most players.

Like stated before he does have a temper and the umpires dont like it.

Remember, Carey never won a brownlow...

goodie
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
Eastern wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
mad saint guy wrote:
I dont agree. Name a game an umpire has not given votes because he was abused.
I can't name specifics, but it would affect his chances. Umpires don't look at statistics when deciding votes, and attitude is a factor. If he did say something, they're more likely to overlook or downgrade him in a close call when judging votes

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

n1ck wrote:True that.

He is penalised with free kicks that are undeserved more than most players.

Like stated before he does have a temper and the umpires dont like it.

Remember, Carey never won a brownlow...
Thats because it is a weekly award. If it was like the MVP he would have won one. Did Carey win every award given in one particular year. I doubt it so he lost those because he abused umpires as well. I still say that abusing an umpire has little to do with giving votes.

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

plugger66 wrote: I dont agree. Name a game an umpire has not given votes because he was abused.
I agree with you - however, the first example that springs to mind (which I assume you know will come up) is the James Hird McLaren incident. Played a blinder the week following by all review's except the umpires.

Otherwise, I'd be very surprised to see an umpire be stupid enough to:
a) blatantly get so personal over BOG.
b) give us punters even a hint of it, let alone confirmation.

The Hird/McLaren stoush did make clear that there are limits though...

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Very naive to think umpires are not swayed by personal opinion....

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Remember in Harvey's book, another player, can't remember who it was off the top of my mind, said Harvey would always give the umpires a sledge and they couldn't believe how well he would poll... It could be that today's umpires have more ego than those in the past...

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

plugger66 wrote:
mad saint guy wrote:
you may be forgetting the "fairest" element of the Brownlow, its not just about BOG. BJ's a good player, but has a bit to go before the medal gets hung round his neck. Besides isnt NDS next in line?

Seeya
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Very naive to think umpires are not swayed by personal opinion....
I realize that this argument was about brownlow votes but IMO it can be widedned to cover umpiring decisions in general,
and

'whispers in the sky' never happened. It was just co-incidental that all those mistakes occured in that game (the match after GT had a go at Umpires'ego) :roll:

And Tony Jones never heard those umpires on the aeroplane say what he claimed they said. :roll:

Then why did none of the umpires involved, or umpire advisor, or AFL sue him for defamation?
Afterall, when McLaren's integrity was questioned by Hird, he threatened to sue until Hird publicly apologized.
Why not do the same thing to Jones? Afterall, what he claimed was far worse than what Hird said.

And why didn't CH 9 sack/demote/admonish Jones if it wasn't true?

Solar
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:
BigMart wrote:Very naive to think umpires are not swayed by personal opinion....
I realize that this argument was about brownlow votes but IMO it can be widedned to cover umpiring decisions in general,
and

'whispers in the sky' never happened. It was just co-incidental that all those mistakes occured in that game (the match after GT had a go at Umpires'ego) :roll:

And Tony Jones never heard those umpires on the aeroplane say what he claimed they said. :roll:

Then why did none of the umpires involved, or umpire advisor, or AFL sue him for defamation?
Afterall, when McLaren's integrity was questioned by Hird, he threatened to sue until Hird publicly apologized.
Why not do the same thing to Jones? Afterall, what he claimed was far worse than what Hird said.

And why didn't CH 9 sack/demote/admonish Jones if it wasn't true?
What? nooooo the umpires cheating because someone questioned them? Thankgod the AFL has stamped down on this by not allowing people to critise umpires.... wouldn't want their ego's to be hurt again....

Anyway back on topic, BJ just needs to use his body in a more positive manner, does some silly things that are a little obvious.... carey is a good example of how to bend the rules of body contact in a very very clever way.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
wiesel

Solar wrote:Anyway back on topic, BJ just needs to use his body in a more positive manner, does some silly things that are a little obvious.... carey is a good example of how to bend the rules of body contact in a very very clever way.
I totally agree with you. Seems that a couple of the boys are training the house down.