Did we learn much?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Did we learn much?

I reckon we did. I learnt:

1. You cant play AFL in any game with no fwd line....no shock there...

2. Heine, Eljay, Stevens look ok - Heine has a touch of magic....needs some disposal work. Stevens is a hard nut......a nastier Nathan Burke....I like that.

3. Goddard can play anywhere - so tempting to go fwd...but then what do you lose from the midfield....I thought Ball needed to do more.

4. Dal Santo IMHO is wasted down back - ok occasionally, shake tags whatever but I would have liked to see him play a little more attacking.

5. King/gardiner as a combo and if they stay fit.....will be a handfull.

6. Maguire - to me even though he fumbled a sitter.....looked a presence up fwd.........worth a shot as a pinch hitter occasionally.

7. Ray gets enough of it - looks ok.

8. Umpiring standard is poor.

9. We need to play the corridor more, run, hassle and forget so much zoning off.

“Yeah….nah””
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

I think we've leanrt that despite a high player turnover, nothing has changed. We play the same style and quality of football that we've been used to for the past couple of years

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:I think we've leanrt that despite a high player turnover, nothing has changed. We play the same style and quality of football that we've been used to for the past couple of years
I didnt get that out of the last 2 qtrs.

Qtr 1 and 2 were ordinary.

Im not expecting in NAB Cup with a pak of kids that they will play a style consistent with what we will see through the year - that may be expecting a bit to much.

We at least got something from the game and all is not lost.

“Yeah….nah””
SaintDebi
Club Player

I love my footy but I've never played a single game, so I'm not prepared to sit back and try to analyse too much other than from a spectator's point of view, but what I think we SHOULD have learned is that we can't keep trying to win games back in the second half. We have to come out playing good, hard, confident footy from the very first bounce.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

1) Anderson and his owner Demetriou have destroyed a once great game and turned it into a game for stagers and bargers.

2) tackles are not rewarded even when a player with the ball drops it stone cold

3) Positives - Heyne looks good. Raph played well. King/Gardiner looked good in the ruck. Gwilt unfortunely wont ever be anything except a depth player. Ray was steady.

4) Nice to see SOS make some changes after halftime and bring some grunt into the forward line.

5) Lovely to see Jack Steven flatten that fairy Johnstone :D

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

SaintDebi wrote:I love my footy but I've never played a single game, so I'm not prepared to sit back and try to analyse too much other than from a spectator's point of view, but what I think we SHOULD have learned is that we can't keep trying to win games back in the second half. We have to come out playing good, hard, confident footy from the very first bounce.
Agree - we need to be aggressive from the outset....we are becoming a "come from behind team" a tad....BUT it tells you we have it in us.......its now about 4 qtr efforts.....I guess its always been about that.

“Yeah….nah””
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Lots of positives already mentioned.

NEGATIVE...........Mental strength. To put in an effort like that 2nd Quarter is simply NOT ACCEPTABLE !!

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
mad saint guy wrote:I think we've leanrt that despite a high player turnover, nothing has changed. We play the same style and quality of football that we've been used to for the past couple of years

Im not expecting in NAB Cup with a pak of kids that they will play a style consistent with what we will see through the year - that may be expecting a bit to much.

We at least got something from the game and all is not lost.
I actually thought we played about the same as we did in last years NAB Cup for qtrs1 - 3 - and 4. A bit of effort and harder at the ball - but pretty disorganised and sloppy because

a) it was a practice match
b) it was full of kids and regulars playing in different positions.

Not too bad in the second half.

Really cant read anything into a practice match.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:

But that's just what we got from 07 and 08. We piss away the first half and then make a comeback when it's too late. I know our players are capable of playing some decent footy (not top 3 quality, but still one of the better teams) when we're at our absolute best, but our defensive style just doesn't get us anywhere. It's always the second half when we're forced to make a few changes and open up the game when we start to get on top.

clobba
Club Player

Younger guys definately confidence players atm but hell they are young guys so except for the odd standout thats no suprise, happy with the 2nd half and not unimpressed with a few of the youngsters when they lifted.

Gabba
SS Hall of Fame

still very, very over the way that the tackler gets pinned for holding the man when someone drops the ball....

vacuous space
SS Life Member

Teflon wrote:

Isn't that a microcosm of our last two years though? Start out playing terribly, with no forward thrust, only to wake up halfway through looking great in the second half with a disappointing finish.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:
Teflon wrote:

But that's just what we got from 07 and 08. We piss away the first half and then make a comeback when it's too late. I know our players are capable of playing some decent footy (not top 3 quality, but still one of the better teams) when we're at our absolute best, but our defensive style just doesn't get us anywhere. It's always the second half when we're forced to make a few changes and open up the game when we start to get on top.
I know what yiure saying but Im not sure its a case of a negative game plan or a mental thing.....whatever its rarely clicked for 4 qtrs yet I agree.

That aside - I think we will still be a far better side when we learn the balance between defensive/attack - its a not an and/or scenario. You need both at the right time for the right period of time...thats not a flick you can switch on/off.

I was really looking for signs from kids tonight and maybe a few regular players tried in different spots and IMO we got that.

Im not at all fussed we lost - who cares. Let Bombers take it out........as long as we improve.....

“Yeah….nah””
fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Eljay had some very nice touches, want to see more of him

Jack Steven was really impressive....great tackler and contested ball winner

Loved Goddard at FF....great creativity up there...and every set shot is a goal within 55M

I thought Gwilt was prety good actually (2nd half)...good disposal by foot

We got rogered by the umpires....should've won that match, for what its worth.

Ray was OK , but he and Begley really struggled along with Dawson and McGuire in the second qtr...

Gilbert and L.Fisher looked fit, strong and straight ahead...Gilbert looks very confident and will have a big year in 09.

Nee!
SAINT JUMP
Club Player

2nd scatchie for the year long way 2 go

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

vacuous space wrote:
Teflon wrote:

Isn't that a microcosm of our last two years though? Start out playing terribly, with no forward thrust, only to wake up halfway through looking great in the second half with a disappointing finish.
I dont think the finish was dissapointing at all - we ran short of time and lost....but Brisbane just hung and played the clock down.....remember its NAB Cup. We finished full or run IMO.

We also made top 4 last year so Im not convinced we played this way all year to be honest.....

I couldt give a toss about the result tonight - I watched to see other things and was just glad to see them in the second half.

I do agree with Saint66 when he says we need to play the corridor earlier - fair point that.

“Yeah….nah””
brewski
Club Player

My thoughts on tonights game

My positives

Goose - nice to have him back will be better for the run
Eljay - had my doubts about him but liked what i saw, super fast hands
Heyne - not bad first game tried hard lacks a bit of finish
McEvoy - gave a contest will get better
Goddard - held us together will be next captain after roo imo
Raph - goes missing from time to time but when on can be very damaging
Gardy and King - looked pretty good considering greasy conditions

Jurys out
Ray - did some nice thigs but looked to hang back a bit hope he not fiona
Gwilt- just cant see him being more than where he is now
Dawson - was competitive but lapse and sloppy on occasion

Negatives
McQaulter - not to afl standard
Miles - i know first game but looked lost hope he can find his way
Howard - out of his depth
Begley - barely saw him maybe why bris got rid of him, stings to know we could have had Cousins with this pick

Banned by the censors
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
vacuous space wrote:
Teflon wrote:

I dont think the finish was dissapointing at all - we ran short of time and lost....but Brisbane just hung and played the clock down.....remember its NAB Cup. We finished full or run IMO.

We also made top 4 last year so Im not convinced we played this way all year to be honest.....

I couldt give a toss about the result tonight - I watched to see other things and was just glad to see them in the second half.

I do agree with Saint66 when he says we need to play the corridor earlier - fair point that.
And just maybe we'd play the corridor a bit more if the AFL's leading mark was playing at CHF?

There's no point kicking the ball into the corridor if there's no Saints player there to get it.

As for the 'come from behind' - I have a different view.
I think it says a lot about our fitness that we are consistantly able to 'negative split' (to use a swimming term). Maybe our early game tactics take the run out of our opposition and slow them up a little?
Our superior fitness then allows us to run over them in the second half?
Of course all the superior fitness in the world is not going to help if the opposition has alread 'blown us off the park' in the first half!

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Steven, Heyne, Geary all looked promising.

BJ great in the middle and forward...like we knew he would.

Gilbert no chance up forward...sloppy, inconsistant, poor second effort.

Dawson could show some promise down back.

Umpiring typically woeful...a thousand new rules for the NAB Cup but they still have no idea what holding the ball looks like. Also, what happened to BJ's 9 pointer???

Promising game...I liked seeing tackles sy\tick. However, it was the same story this time last year.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

Teflon wrote:I dont think the finish was dissapointing at all
I just meant disappointing that we fell short. Nobody should lose any sleep about that loss. It's about getting ready for round 1 - and we looked a hell of a lot better in the fourth than we did the first.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:
Teflon wrote:
vacuous space wrote:
Teflon wrote:

And just maybe we'd play the corridor a bit more if the AFL's leading mark was playing at CHF?

There's no point kicking the ball into the corridor if there's no Saints player there to get it.

I think it says a lot about our fitness that we are consistantly able to 'negative split' (to use a swimming term). Maybe our early game tactics take the run out of our opposition and slow them up a little?
Of course all the superior fitness in the world is not going to help if the opposition has alread 'blown us off the park' in the first half!
To be fair Magic - Ive noticed we go via the Cape with Roo/Kosi up fwd sometimes and I reckon it frustrates them no end as defenders just line up 2 days out.

“Yeah….nah””
WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

Re: Did we learn much?

Teflon wrote:I reckon we did. I learnt:

1. You cant play AFL in any game with no fwd line....no shock there...

2. Heine, Eljay, Stevens look ok - Heine has a touch of magic....needs some disposal work. Stevens is a hard nut......a nastier Nathan Burke....I like that.

3. Goddard can play anywhere - so tempting to go fwd...but then what do you lose from the midfield....I thought Ball needed to do more.

4. Dal Santo IMHO is wasted down back - ok occasionally, shake tags whatever but I would have liked to see him play a little more attacking.

5. King/gardiner as a combo and if they stay fit.....will be a handfull.

6. Maguire - to me even though he fumbled a sitter.....looked a presence up fwd.........worth a shot as a pinch hitter occasionally.

7. Ray gets enough of it - looks ok.

8. Umpiring standard is poor.

9. We need to play the corridor more, run, hassle and forget so much zoning off.
10. SOS can't coach :lol:

11. Take out Lenny, Roo, Schneids, Joey, Max, Baker, X and few others and we're ordinary... no shock there.

12. Conditions were average for AFL

13. Over analysing in Feb is bad for your health.

14. You can't just play thru the corridor because Cats and Hawks have game plans that will destroy you.

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

brewski wrote:My thoughts on tonights game

My positives

Goose - nice to have him back will be better for the run
Eljay - had my doubts about him but liked what i saw, super fast hands
Heyne - not bad first game tried hard lacks a bit of finish
McEvoy - gave a contest will get better
Goddard - held us together will be next captain after roo imo
Raph - goes missing from time to time but when on can be very damaging
Gardy and King - looked pretty good considering greasy conditions

Jurys out
Ray - did some nice thigs but looked to hang back a bit hope he not fiona
Gwilt- just cant see him being more than where he is now
Dawson - was competitive but lapse and sloppy on occasion

Negatives
McQaulter - not to afl standard
Miles - i know first game but looked lost hope he can find his way
Howard - out of his depth
Begley - barely saw him maybe why bris got rid of him, stings to know we could have had Cousins with this pick
Bugger the game - lets talk about that avatar...

No....forget that....

Lets talk TO your avatar..... :idea:

“Yeah….nah””
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:
Teflon wrote:
vacuous space wrote:
Teflon wrote:

To be fair Magic - Ive noticed we go via the Cape with Roo/Kosi up fwd sometimes and I reckon it frustrates them no end as defenders just line up 2 days out.
Maybe you're correct Teflon - Maybe my rose coloured glasses are back on?

BTW, I really like Brewski's avatar but I think it might be a little large?

Middo
Club Player

joffaboy wrote:1) Anderson and his owner Demetriou have destroyed a once great game and turned it into a game for stagers and bargers.

2) tackles are not rewarded even when a player with the ball drops it stone cold

3) Positives - Heyne looks good. Raph played well. King/Gardiner looked good in the ruck. Gwilt unfortunely wont ever be anything except a depth player. Ray was steady.

4) Nice to see SOS make some changes after halftime and bring some grunt into the forward line.

5) Lovely to see Jack Steven flatten that fairy Johnstone :D
So Raph played well ? Must have watched another game thought it was 2007 revisited ?
Last edited by Middo on Sun 15 Feb 2009 12:05am, edited 1 time in total.

Jack Newnes happy to be a Saint !!!! PS and to hit a target !!!