Round 1

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

Round 1

Next week is important for all the reasons you all know.

However, I believe we have to make a statement next week, we don't need to just win, we need to win big and dominantly.

As we all know the critics didn't rate us as a top 4 side last year, nor do they like how we play, though we played some pretty good football in the last 8 rounds of 2008.

A big win may just make them to start re thinking their opinion of us, as well give us a big confidence boost and it is amazing how a teams skills improve as their confidence grow.

We can't afford to have a first round win against the Swans like last year, it will reinforce everyone's idea of us, and also put a dent in our membership sales.

Of course, a big round 1 win will for nothing if we don't beat Adelaide in Adelaide the following Friday, and just keep winning.

Remember round 5 2007, Geelong didn't look anything special, since then they have lost 3 games.

cuz60
Club Player

Very good post. Massive night for the St.Kilda footy club on the 28th. We really do need to make a statement early in the season for varying reasons. Most importantly is membership, if we are slow out of the block's we are going to find it very difficult to post even 30,000 especially with no blockbuster games in the first six rounds.

Not only that, players such as Dal and Kosi who we have copped a lot of criticism need to produce early on.

I can't wait for round 1 at the moment, bring it on!!

Go Kosi!!! 23
Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

I disagree, I would rather we were making statements in September rather than March... This time last year we were the competition's only hope of dethroning Geelong IIRC....

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Round 1

3rd generation saint wrote:Next week is important for all the reasons you all know.

However, I believe we have to make a statement next week, we don't need to just win, we need to win big and dominantly.

As we all know the critics didn't rate us as a top 4 side last year, nor do they like how we play, though we played some pretty good football in the last 8 rounds of 2008.

A big win may just make them to start re thinking their opinion of us, as well give us a big confidence boost and it is amazing how a teams skills improve as their confidence grow.

We can't afford to have a first round win against the Swans like last year, it will reinforce everyone's idea of us, and also put a dent in our membership sales.

Of course, a big round 1 win will for nothing if we don't beat Adelaide in Adelaide the following Friday, and just keep winning.

Remember round 5 2007, Geelong didn't look anything special, since then they have lost 3 games.
Not sure what you mean that critics didnt rate us a top 4 side last year. If you mean at the start of the year i am totally confused as nearly everyone had us top 4. If you mean at the end of the year well I cannot remember that beig said.

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

I didn't think we were playing next week... I thought it was Sunday week which is technically the week after next week coz Sunday is the first day of a new week.

Next week ends on Saturday at midnight.

Next?

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

We are playing on Saturday 28 March 2008.

Will be lonely for you on the Sunday WayneJudson42.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Lol... Backfire :lol: :lol:

In WJ's defence, it is an easy mistake to make especially with the first match being on a Thursday...

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

i will be happy with any kind of victory in round 1...as cliche as it is

having a relatively untried player playing fullback...jason blake and gwilt down there makes me believe that we will have to struggle through this

and no this isn't a bag jb post...i feel much more secure with him saying the 2nd tall or 3rd tall with max down there...

and having gwilt permanently in the back 50 isn't a positive thing...hff or nothing else

and dawson...well who knows...lets give him a good go as the conditions at cararra weren't the greatest and the games best defenders would have struggled

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I think a win will be statement enough...

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

Bernard Shakey wrote:We are playing on Saturday 28 March 2008.

Will be lonely for you on the Sunday WayneJudson42.
Snap!

I'm a victim of circumstamce... nyuk nyuk.

Just goes to show how busy life is TBH.

Haven't even thought about Round 1.

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

My point is that we need to hit the ground running and stay in touch with the front pack.

This is so when it comes with September, we have been up with the leaders all year and can take the lead when it matters.

rexy
SS Life Member

I would like to see us come out and play a style of footy that will hold us in good stead for the rest or the season, last year i thought we played not to lose for the fist half of the year and only started playing to win when we had no other option. If we go out and play to win, pick our best 22 on fitness and form and dont over do the matchups/tags, like we did early last year then I think we can smash the Swannies.

Maybe this year?
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Margins are irrelevant. I think the statement the team needs to make is to win the first 4 or 5 and from the statements coming from coach and club it would appear that the point is not lost on them.

A good start to the year is vital for so many reasons but all is not lost if we don't...refer to years 2005 and 2008.

PJ
SS Life Member

Plenty of teams have come out hard in the first half dozen games only to wilt when the real pressure is on - Adelaide last year. I remember Collingwood winning the first 5 one year only to drop completely out of finals contension.

It'd be great to have a good first win but only if we can back it up week after week.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

3rd generation saint wrote:My point is that we need to hit the ground running and stay in touch with the front pack.

This is so when it comes with September, we have been up with the leaders all year and can take the lead when it matters.
Are we running in the Melbourne Cup? :shock:

Saints7
Club Player

absolutely! we must win - any win in round one is important - regardless of the margin.

Dont know too much about the swans lead up, so cant comment on form, but yes, if we are to be top 4, then we must win these games.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Ideally, we would win playing attractive football

all this talk about membership numbers being down coz we're passionless or losing our identity is bull$h!t
lately, we've just been boring to watch

I went to rd1 last year psyched. Went to the game by myself as I finished work late and was really looking forward to a good evening. It was an evening of frustrating, boring football. I found myself reading a comic book deep into the 3rd quarter and despite the win felt nothing.

Didn't go to another game until the finals despite my $250.00 membership.

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

WJ42 in a way yes, in 05 and 08 we've tried to come from a long way back to try and steal the premiership.

Look at your history in any sport, this very really happens, winners almost always come from the leading group of any race, whether it be racing, athletics or a football season of any code anywhere in the world.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:Ideally, we would win playing attractive football

all this talk about membership numbers being down coz we're passionless or losing our identity is bull$h!t
lately, we've just been boring to watch

I went to rd1 last year psyched. Went to the game by myself as I finished work late and was really looking forward to a good evening. It was an evening of frustrating, boring football. I found myself reading a comic book deep into the 3rd quarter and despite the win felt nothing.

Didn't go to another game until the finals despite my $250.00 membership.
I could care less about winning ugly. Just win.

Hawthorn have an ugly rolling zone. They also now have a Premiership and stopped the best side going roun last year dead in their tracks.

Just win.

“Yeah….nah””
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Hawthorne know how to play champagne football and regularly put teams away
they play exciting football for more than a 1/4 at a time

We did it to Essendon last year and to Melb round 1 the year b4 that, the rest of the time we either fall over the line or blow the unloseable. Who the hell wants to watch that

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:Hawthorne know how to play champagne football and regularly put teams away
they play exciting football for more than a 1/4 at a time

We did it to Essendon last year and to Melb round 1 the year b4 that, the rest of the time we either fall over the line or blow the unloseable. Who the hell wants to watch that
I here what your saying Skeptic but Im sorry...... if winning ugly could give me a flag I dont give a stuff how it looks frankly.

Just watched Hawk fans going nuts after the GF on the footy doco....and could only wonder If I will ever see that while I can still enjoy a beer without having to watch my bladder.

The ess win I wouldnt put up as the most exciting footy Ive seen either. Ive no interest in circle work/constant rebound cr@p.

Oddly we have that exciting footy still in our game - see the recent Brisbane game - it just appears to be fits and spurts still. When we get it right I do believe we look good.

They need to get it right this year though.

“Yeah….nah””