It's enough to turn you to drugs

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

From "afar", I watched the 'opener' tonight and all can say is that the importance of the ability to kick to team mates seems to have grown rather than regressed. Richmond can't at all and Carlton can for most of the time. Most of the time is simply more than 50%. Our team of 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 would beat both these teams (as they did) by plenty. But this is 2009.

We have selected at least four players this week who can't kick to team mates at training let alone in a match situation.

We are doomed to finish 13th as predicted by the Herald Sun computer in the last eight weeks.

And we should have recruited Ben Cousins - a hammy in his first game - a natural fit at St Kilda.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Off your medication tonight?

Jees you are going to have a very sad year if you are so down on the team and we haven't even played a game yet.

Must be sad to be you.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Agree regarding footskills....its why I struggle with recruiting "Howards" as athletes instead of footballers ho can dispose of the ball and hit a target.

In the flood games we see now...someone with the pin point accuracy of a Buckley is worth gold.

“Yeah….nah””
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Re: It's enough to turn you to drugs

perfectionist wrote:We have selected at least four players this week who can't kick to team mates at training let alone in a match situation.
Our lack of skills is a reasonable concern. I don't think it's any coincidence that Geelong and Hawthorn scrapped low-skilled players from their game and went on to become strong clubs when they found players capable of hitting targets by hand and foot. It's what you need to complement the physicality both clubs have.

It speaks volumes that if David Wojinscki or Kane Tenace were with us, they'd be considered speedy first-team ball-carriers, but at Geelong, they're the quick guys who can't hit targets - and that's why they're only on the fringes.

By my count, we've got eight players in our R1 side who I would class as having very poor skills when under percieved or genuine pressure. And that doesn't count Sam Fisher or Stephen Milne, despite the fact they can only really use one side of their body.

Hopefully, we can find a way to bulldoze through the Swans on Saturday night.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

When was the last time you felt this flat before a round one clash? I'd say 2000,if not 1995

Was painfully obvious in last years finals campaign we lacked youthfulness,speed,and foot skills. 6 months later and we go in with almost the exact same side..

Anyhow,we'll see how we go

Bring back the Lockett era
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

jonesy wrote:When was the last time you felt this flat before a round one clash? I'd say 2000
First game at Docklands? I was kind of pumped up :wink:

Each year there's been something. I can't say I expected much from R1 2002, but then we came out and pumped Carlton with Aussie kicking one of the best goals I've ever seen.

It's definitely the flattest in a while. Maybe it's not the worst thing? We'll soon find out...

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

May I repectfully ask what all you "know all" know alls base your judgement on??

Last year?

Praccy games.

:roll:

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

WayneJudson42 wrote:May I repectfully ask what all you "know all" know alls base your judgement on??
I'm certainly not a know all, but I've got my views which I form from watching us and other teams, as I've done a lot of over the years, including this pre-season.

I'd probably suggest that's how most people form the views they have.

Munga
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:
By my count, we've got eight players in our R1 side who I would class as having very poor skills when under percieved or genuine pressure. And that doesn't count Sam Fisher or Stephen Milne, despite the fact they can only really use one side of their body.
Chips can hit targets blindfolded. One of, if not THE most efficient kick on our list IMO. There's only two players I've felt this confident with their foot skills, the other is one R.Harvey. Big wrap I know.

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
Saint Bev
SS Life Member

Well that must be a record! You have written us off without us having to play a game :roll:

Qld Saints Supporter Group
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:
jonesy wrote:When was the last time you felt this flat before a round one clash? I'd say 2000
First game at Docklands? I was kind of pumped up :wink:

Each year there's been something. I can't say I expected much from R1 2002, but then we came out and pumped Carlton with Aussie kicking one of the best goals I've ever seen.

It's definitely the flattest in a while. Maybe it's not the worst thing? We'll soon find out...
...and unless I'm very much mistaken, Round 1 2000 was the last time we lost a Round 1 home game...and it was v Sydney...and we started favorites

2001. Beat Doggies
2002. Beat Carlton
2003 Lost to North (at the G)
2004. Beet Geelong
2005: Lost to Brisbane (at Gabba)
2006: Lost to WCE (in Perth)
2007. Beat Melbourne
2008: Beat Sydney

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Munga wrote:
evertonfc wrote:
Chips can hit targets blindfolded. One of, if not THE most efficient kick on our list IMO. There's only two players I've felt this confident with their foot skills, the other is one R.Harvey. Big wrap I know.
Has improved 1000% that's true, but he is one-sided and that can get him into trouble sometimes, just as it does for Milne.

But S Fisher has a footy brain that has grown 100,000% since he joined the club, and he generally is able to hit targets because he's smart enough - and fit enough - to get out of trouble.

I hope someone like Farren Ray - who has the pace but not mental alertness just yet - can learn from Chips and sees somebody who has realised the flaws from his game and taken steps minimised their impact, leaving a considerable upside.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Just threas seems to have been started because Carlton had a big win. What has that to do with the Saints is completely beyond me. They have nothing to do with us until we acyually play them. Im not sure their win means we cannot beat the Swans.

markp
Saintsational Legend

I'm totally pumped about tomorrow night, and this season!....

We'll go at least one better this year, mark my word!....

Drugs were a great idea too, cheers! :mrgreen:

(now I know what the green smiley man means...)

spert
Saintsational Legend

Similar Sainter doom and gloom to the start of last season, we should really be worried about if we can improve on 4th position.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

I hope the saints watched carltons game last night and saw the joy you can get by playing your natural game instead of lock down negative footy. RL reckons he doesnt coach them to do it. I hope they get them selves on a roll and build some optimism for 2009. Quick ball movement through the corridor and decent clearance rate no reason not to do it. I think we have reason for optimism this season Ball is a new recruit as last year he looked like he struggled to kick anything over about 30 meters, Ray looks like a handy addition even if it just makes another option if they tag dal santo. Another year of development in the young guys Armo, Geary and Eddy. A real chance for Maguire to get back and play Raph Clarke looks like he has worked it out -I think it was magic Mclean said he thought Raph might become the best player ever to come out of the NT, it was a big call when Raph looked ordinary. Hopefully he is right. Ross Tangatalum looks like a real excitement machine of the future and Heyne and Stanley look like good pick ups late in the draft. Im sick of all the recruitment talk about how we never pick kids that make a big early impact-we dont play them. Most players take time and I would prefer to hold them back and build them up than throw them in too early. I can remember andrew mc qualter having a big game against the hawks i thought we had a gun on our hands. Now we rip him to pieces on threads all day.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

ummm dont laugh, our kicking at ammi the other week wasnt as bad as the tige's last nite, but it wasnt far from it.....

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:I hope the saints watched carltons game last night and saw the joy you can get by playing your natural game instead of lock down negative footy. RL reckons he doesnt coach them to do it. I hope they get them selves on a roll and build some optimism for 2009. Quick ball movement through the corridor and decent clearance rate no reason not to do it.
I agree with this. For me, there was something refreshingly old fashioned about last night's game: a free-flowing match before a sell-out crowd at the MCG to watch two Victorian clubs which have been down on their luck in recent years but who have proud histories.

What Carlton showed was that, if you are prepared to kick to contests inside the forward 50 and then, if you don't hit your target, put pressure on the defenders when they have the ball, you can score a lot of points on the basis of opponents' mistakes. It reminded me of the way we used to play.

That said, the Richmond defence last night was about the same standard as that of Essendon against us in Rd 22 last season. They seemed to be operating in a sort of no man's land between flooding and man on man marking. I couldn't work out what the idea was of Richo charging back periodically and bringing the dangerous Waite within range of goal. It was an incredibly inept performance in a big game and I don't see to many reasons for Richmond to retain Wallace even for Rd 2!!

I don't think Carlton will go as well against the teams with more disciplined defences. But, gee, it was great to watch (or, at least, it would have been great to watch if I could have forgotten the fact that it was Carlton!!).

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
St DAC
SS Hall of Fame

meher baba wrote:I don't see to many reasons for Richmond to retain Wallace even for Rd 2!!
I've got one ... we haven't played them yet! :wink:

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

if u ever feel down about the saints - just go and watch a tigers game! they make us look awesome!

oh dear! they are terrible. someone works their butt off to win a hard ball and set up a free runner - and then the free runner just wastes it - with turnover under no pressure. man are they hard to watch.

wallace cant coach. what has he ever done? hes always been rubbish. that dogs team he had was full of mature superstars. could have coached itself.

he doesnt seem to use waves of runners like other teams. he seems to have 2 or 3 guys around the ball and thehn 1 or 2 released runners (who cant kick anyway). seems not to use the whole team like most other clubs do. the decision making is rubbish. u can only blame the coach now he is in his 5th year.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:

That said, the Richmond defence last night was about the same standard as that of Essendon against us in Rd 22 last season. They seemed to be operating in a sort of no man's land between flooding and man on man marking. I couldn't work out what the idea was of Richo charging back periodically and bringing the dangerous Waite within range of goal. It was an incredibly inept performance in a big game and I don't see to many reasons for Richmond to retain Wallace even for Rd 2!!
good analysis baba. im with ya on this. this is exactly what shane crawford suggested might happen this season in his press conference last week.

he said playing zone defence took the hawks 4 years to figure out and that clubs just trying to use it in 09 would be trapped in no mans land between styles and would be like the hawks were back in 2004/05.

i think wallace has walked right into that trap. playing a half baked one on one (lions style in 2003) and a half baked zone (hawks 08).

what has wallace ever contributed as a coach? how did he get his reputation? he has no tricks. nothing. any tool can get a team fit.