Are we ALL starting to warm to Lyon yet?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:To me ... our defensive skills, set-ups ... and work-rate are now a thing of beauty.
it's a matter of balance. while we've looked pretty solid defensively i've been very concerned about our attack and ability to kick a winning score.

we need both to win the premiership.

offensively the signs on friday were encouraging.

we seem to be moving it quicker to our forwards and appear less afraid about kicking to a contest.

perhaps the addition of leigh tudor is helping here and if that's the case, ross deserves some of the plaudits for allowing him a free hand.

yes, i'm warming to him.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:To me ... our defensive skills, set-ups ... and work-rate are now a thing of beauty.
it's a matter of balance. while we've looked pretty solid defensively i've been very concerned about our attack and ability to kick a winning score.

we need both to win the premiership.

offensively the signs on friday were encouraging.

we seem to be moving it quicker to our forwards and appear less afraid about kicking to a contest.

perhaps the addition of leigh tudor is helping here and if that's the case, ross deserves some of the plaudits for allowing him a free hand.

yes, i'm warming to him.
I thought of you Friday Carl (its an often event... you have the affect on me.. :wink: ) but I do know how you like your fwd line set ups and seem to focus on this relentlessly......when Matthews said "get the defence right and so often offence takes care of itself"......

Maybe the balance we are talking about is just that?

“Yeah….nah””
WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

So what's a "winning score" guys?

As far as I recall it's at least 1 pint more than your opposition.

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

SaintDebi wrote:I was a bit iffy about RL, and there is still something about him that I can't put my finger on. I'm thinking thats more to do with his lack of charisma...
I'm tipping you didn't vote for Rudd then Debi.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I am warming to some of the little things....

When Geary kicked his goal last night, a runner went straight to him with what I am sure (well assume) was a nice message from RL

stinger
Saintsational Legend

ohwhenthesaints! wrote:I am warming to some of the little things....

When Geary kicked his goal last night, a runner went straight to him with what I am sure (well assume) was a nice message from RL

loved how all the senior players ran up to him...they were genuinly happy........reckon they are aware of the undeserved bagging he has copped from some quarters....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:I do know how you like your fwd line set ups and seem to focus on this relentlessly?
that's because i've seen forward effeciency as a major hurdle to this group winning a premiership. i'm not sure that we're there yet, but friday was certainly encouraging.
Teflon wrote:Matthews said "get the defence right and so often offence takes care of itself''
yes, i heard it. i hope ross doesn't take him too literally because over the past two seasons it hasn't taken care of itself.

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

bigcarl wrote:
Teflon wrote:I do know how you like your fwd line set ups and seem to focus on this relentlessly?
that's because i've seen forward effeciency as a major hurdle to this group winning a premiership. i'm not sure that we're there yet, but friday was certainly encouraging.
Teflon wrote:Matthews said "get the defence right and so often offence takes care of itself''
yes, i heard it. i hope ross doesn't take him too literally because over the past two seasons it hasn't taken care of itself.
Can't wait for MAx to come back, and Gilbo to move forward.

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
Id say over the past 2 seasons we have not played defence so consistently either...

“Yeah….nah””
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

WayneJudson42 wrote:So what's a "winning score" guys?

I think your always 1 pint up on the rest of us

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

bobmurray wrote:

I think your always 1 pint up on the rest of us
Ok, my bad... pint taken. :wink:

Solar
Saintsational Legend

or 1 pot more ;)

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:i'd say over the past 2 seasons we have not played defence so consistently either...
true. we were magnificent in our tackling and pressuring of adelaide (and sydney in round 1) .

if we can back that up by becoming a team that ruthlessly and efficiently pounces on opportunities and turns them into cold, hard goals on the board i reckon we will go close this season.

PJ
SS Life Member

"Secondly, it gives a lot of our players — not the Simon Goodwins of the world because he knows it but at least half of our squad — (proof) that that level does exist. You often don't see that level until finals and we've seen it in round two. That could be an indication of where the game is going."
From Craig's conference after the game - this is where St.Kilda are headed and this is what Lyon has brought to the saints.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
PJ
SS Life Member

Interestingly the cats fell apart when Tiges had a fairdinkum crack - even with a modest line up (talent wise).

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
rexy
SS Life Member

I'm not sure he is the type of bloke you warm to? Very emotionless.

Must say though that I am starting to see the light, for mind in the past he was to negative, whether this was due to the players inability to understand how to turn our defence in to attack, RL concentrating on one thing at a time or a slight change in philosophy/instruction from half way through last ear I can not say. I like what I see though.

I still have a concern that when we reach the pointy end and there are say 4 teams who are all well drilled, desperate and skilled it comes down to motivation, Ie the coaches ability to stir up emotion and provide spark and drive to lift and find extra. Will Ross be able to do this, should we be in that position? Is it something that should come from Roo, Hayes, Kosi, Ball and BJ. Is it over rated.

Time will tell.

Maybe this year?
Saints43
Club Player

Teflon wrote:Wheres Saints 43 - one of Lyons biggest critics?, MeherBaba?, JeffDunne?, Rodgerfox (never sighted after a win...)....how you enjoying those eggs ladies?
I only watched the game last night - and SS was unavailable last night.

My criticisims of Lyon:

Team doesn't work as a cohesive unit.
Team doesn't hold a forward structure when not in possesion.
Doesn't get the best out of the list.
Don't get reward for effort on the scoreboard due to gameplan.

The last two weeks these criticisms (except perhaps the last) cannot be laid at his door.

As for not logging in after a win? Is that meant to be serious? If you think that there are Saints supporters hoping that St Kilda lose matches so that RL loses his job then you are fooling youself.

Try to remember that when you were cheering Brad Boyd sending our club to the bottom of the ladder a lot of us were working to save this club so that you could watch them on TV and call us names. Try and show a bit of respect to those that give you something else to do while sitting on your couch. Ladies...

Anyway, am extremely happy with the start to the season.

As for eggs, how good is the list he inherited looking now? And if you think rounds one & two of 2009 are justification for you thinking he was getting it right in 2007 then you are fairly desperate for vindication...
Last edited by Saints43 on Sun 05 Apr 2009 10:34am, edited 1 time in total.

Rickabee
Club Player
Location: Sydney, but grew up in Melbourne - 1st Saints match = Rnd 4 1966

I have been "warming" to RL on some aspects for a long time. I think his recriuting has been pretty good (not perfect) and he has been selecting the types of players we have been lacking. I was aware of GT deficiencies as well as his positives.

I have in past few years been very disappointed with our forward entries and our lack of goalkicking mid-fielders. The prior focus of just kicking it to Roo was just never going to work consistently.

I am delighted to see the level of tackling that we are employing this year, especially in the forward line. RL has improved this aspect of the team markedly over GT's focus (leaving Hamill aside).

The only downside of all this tackling will be the sore bodies that will need time to recover, both short-term and long-term (remember Hamill).

I have also been pleased with the increase in Football Dept expenditures and the improved management of the player's fitness. Adelaide have often been held up as the "benchmark" in terms of fitness and we played over them in the last quarter was truly impressive. Let's hope the fitness staff can help with the recovery process!

I still want to see us average 100 points per game so that we will have the offensive firepower that will be necessary to go beyond 4th place finishes. I hate seeing all the missed shots at goal!

So far it's a good start to the year seeing how we can shut teams down and if we can continue to keep kicking goals.

starsign
Club Player

yep and i have a gut feeling the players are as well!

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Saints43 wrote:
Teflon wrote:Wheres Saints 43 - one of Lyons biggest critics?, MeherBaba?, JeffDunne?, Rodgerfox (never sighted after a win...)....how you enjoying those eggs ladies?
I only watched the game last night - and SS was unavailable last night.

My criticisims of Lyon:

Team doesn't work as a cohesive unit.
Team doesn't hold a forward structure when not in possesion.
Doesn't get the best out of the list.
Don't get reward for effort on the scoreboard due to gameplan.

The last two weeks these criticisms (except perhaps the last) cannot be laid at his door.

As for not logging in after a win? Is that meant to be serious? If you think that there are Saints supporters hoping that St Kilda lose matches so that RL loses his job then you are fooling youself.

Try to remember that when you were cheering Brad Boyd sending our club to the bottom of the ladder a lot of us were working to save this club so that you could watch them on TV and call us names. Try and show a bit of respect to those that give you something else to do while sitting on your couch. Ladies...

Anyway, am extremely happy with the start to the season.

As for eggs, how good is the list he inherited looking now? And if you think rounds one & two of 2009 are justification for you thinking he was getting it right in 2007 then you are fairly desperate for vindication...
Hi Saints43...glad you could come out of your hole for your usual tripe and sad, depressing swipe at Lyon.....must really grate that the coach you time and again refuse to support seems to be getting some things right?

Hows the list looking?.....you'd be talking about the list of which around 1/3 Ross Lyon has overhauled???

The same list that now actually has ruckman in it? ....again thanks to Lyon.

The same "list' thats winning games despite its best player struggling?...

A list thats playing as a TEAM with enormous pressure built on a game plan started in 2007 that only now - with the type of personell Lyon wanted, is getting results.

BTW - Fitzroy are long gone sadly - you need to let go...but I will say this...when supporting them I never sat round waiting for a loss (I didnt have to wait long) so I could come out and slag off at the coach just to say Im right.....thats not a supporter no matter how many tins you (say..) you rattled to save this club.

We may win this week - best you bunker down to weather the storm...Im sure a gloating loss wont be to far off for ya...

I must say an uncanny similarity between your drivel and Dodgerfox's......do tell me your not the same sad sack....it is plausible reading the garbage.

“Yeah….nah””
stinger
Saintsational Legend

Rickabee wrote:I have been "warming" to RL on some aspects for a long time. I think his recriuting has been pretty good (not perfect) and he has been selecting the types of players we have been lacking.

I am delighted to see the level of tackling that we are employing this year, especially in the forward line. RL has improved this aspect of the team markedly over GT's focus (leaving Hamill aside).

The only downside of all this tackling will be the sore bodies that will need time to recover, both short-term and long-term (remember Hamill).

I have also been pleased with the increase in Football Dept expenditures .

very good points......i had my heart in my mouth when dal ran in without any thoughts of person safety and jarred his knee......some of the guys aren't built like your gardiner or your king..and will get hurt ....the main reason for x's injuries is he goes where angels fear to tread.....places his critics on this forum wouldn't dream of going......

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

After Saturday night, you'd have to be impressed.

However, I don't really think that 1 game proves alot.

If we can do that all year and win the flag then yes, I'll get a 'I think Ross Lyon is a hero and I was wrong' t-shirt made up and wear it every day for a year.

Until we do, I giggle at those getting him cast in bronze in after Round 2 of the season!!

So ridiculously funny.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:After Saturday night, you'd have to be impressed.

However, I don't really think that 1 game proves alot.

If we can do that all year and win the flag then yes, I'll get a 'I think Ross Lyon is a hero and I was wrong' t-shirt made up and wear it every day for a year.

Until we do, I giggle at those getting him cast in bronze in after Round 2 of the season!!

So ridiculously funny.
And that is the whole point I would think.

We are two rounds in. We have had an OK game against Sydney and a pretty good game against the Crows. But thats it - the jury is out on the Saints until we actually play the likes of Geelong, Hawthorn, and the Bulldogs.

If we can stifle these teams and kick 16 goals a game, I'll get a second copy of the t shirt made.

Anyway coaches are really overrated. if you get even an adequate coach anf you have the cattle you should be a half decent team.

OTOH if you get a coach like Mark Harvey and you have the cattle, you get a team like Fremantle.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
bob__71
Club Player

Watch out...with all this supporter love for the coach....I can feel a surprise sacking coming on.

Saints43
Club Player

Teflon wrote:Hi Saints43...glad you could come out of your hole for your usual tripe and sad, depressing swipe at Lyon.....must really grate that the coach you time and again refuse to support seems to be getting some things right?
Where was the swipe in my post? Are you literate?
Teflon wrote:BTW - Fitzroy are long gone sadly - you need to let go...but I will say this...when supporting them I never sat round waiting for a loss (I didnt have to wait long) so I could come out and slag off at the coach just to say Im right.....thats not a supporter no matter how many tins you (say..) you rattled to save this club.
I did more than rattle a tin you ignorant ****. As I was also involved with the last few years at Fitzroy - helping out the club historian (because I worked with him and he needed help) at the offices based at the AC I'm sure I would remember your efforts in attempting to save them. In what way were you involved? I should remember you...

I never felt any grief about the Roys going under until I discovered that it brought you to my club.
Teflon wrote:We may win this week - best you bunker down to weather the storm...Im sure a gloating loss wont be to far off for ya...
I know you feel as though you have stuck by the coach and therefore deserve to enjoy a win for your adopted team more than those who have questioned him but it's not the case. You thought he was doing a good job when he wasn't (as he has admitted himself) - you just aligned yourself with anything that wasn't Grant Thomas. Your blind faith - and incorrect opinions based on that faith - was no recommendation for RL. You and one other dill on this site believe that 2007 has anything to do with 2009.

I will praise RL for doing a good job when I believe he has done a good job.

Rounds one & two of 2009 are not a justification for you thinking he was getting it right in 2007. You were just wrong, that's all.