Lyon: Leigh Tudor Getting Job Done

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Lyon: Leigh Tudor Getting Job Done

Massive wrap for Tudor...slight backhander to Barker..

Lyon said fwd 50 defensive pressure was a focus of his from day 1 BUT Leigh Tudor has been able to get it done.......nice pat on the back from a senior coach.

I thought Kosi was also excellentg on that tonight.

“Yeah….nah””
esaint66
SS Life Member

This was one of the areas of our old game that used to really give me the sh1ts. You would have players making a half assed effort and thinking that was acceptable.

Great stuff boys in the box. :D

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

Re: Lyon: Leigh Tudor Getting Job Done

Teflon wrote:Massive wrap for Tudor...slight backhander to Barker..

Lyon said fwd 50 defensive pressure was a focus of his from day 1 BUT Leigh Tudor has been able to get it done.......nice pat on the back from a senior coach.

I didn't pick up between the lines... I thought he was refering to himself.

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

WayneJudson42 wrote:

I think he was referring to any previous attempt to get the fwdline to apply defensive pressure and no doubt that was Barkers ball last few years.

We just may have the balance with SOS/Tudor down back and up fwd.

“Yeah….nah””
WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

Teflon wrote:
WayneJudson42 wrote:

I think he was referring to any previous attempt to get the fwdline to apply defensive pressure and no doubt that was Barkers ball last few years.

We just may have the balance with SOS/Tudor down back and up fwd.
Barker's gone. Move on. :lol:

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

we seem to be moving the ball a lot quicker and seem much less afraid to kick to a contest.

perhaps that is tudor's influence.

rexy
SS Life Member

At the end of the day it is the players willingness to run and chase that has the most effect. Positioning and zones from kick outs all go out the window in general play when the ball is turned over the only way to turn attack into defense and turn it back over is to work harder and we seem to be doing that.

Maybe this year?
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:we seem to be moving the ball a lot quicker and seem much less afraid to kick to a contest.

well the coach said "fwd pressures been a focus sice day 1 but Leigh Tudors actually getting it done...."......so Im going with that...

“Yeah….nah””
starsign
Club Player

we seem to be moving the ball a lot quicker and seem much less afraid to kick to a contest.

the other thing of note is we are not kicking it straight to Roo every time
He's obviously still a tad underdone and maybe not motoring and presenting everywhere as we've come to expect but there seems a growing confidence through the midfield and other forwards to look wider and even have a shot themselves when the chance comes, especially from further out
Having said that we are still missing easy ones , but surely that can only improve!!

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

Interesting to watch the ball movement on AFL live and how we work it around the arc before going in.

Also, Schneids has increased his workrate in tackles and pressure. I think that's why they want Gilbo up fwd... he'll also privde fwd pressure.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Gilbert is required down back until Raph returns, then he can go forward.

oh when
Club Player

On SEN - they said the forwards are now loving their footy because of Tudor.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

starsign wrote:we seem to be moving the ball a lot quicker and seem much less afraid to kick to a contest.

He's obviously still a tad underdone and maybe not motoring and presenting everywhere as we've come to expect but there seems a growing confidence through the midfield and other forwards to look wider and even have a shot themselves when the chance comes, especially from further out
Having said that we are still missing easy ones , but surely that can only improve!!
Thats not a quote from Lyon after the telecast - his words were "Leigh Tudors getting it done" in the context of fwd pressure...

“Yeah….nah””
WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

He stated that fwd pressure was something he's been going on about since he got here... but getting it done was another matter.

Can be taken both ways... a swipe at JB or a swipe at the players...

One thing I will add is...

There was some loud complaining on here about "coraling" the opposition and how we were soft etc.

Well, now we seem to be good at both. :lol:

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

oh when wrote:On SEN - they said the forwards are now loving their footy because of Tudor.
Thats how I read Lyons comments too - Tudor must be doing something right re: fwds.

“Yeah….nah””
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
oh when wrote:On SEN - they said the forwards are now loving their footy because of Tudor.
Thats how I read Lyons comments too - Tudor must be doing something right re: fwds.
Tudor is obviously a better coach than Barker...i think it might be that simple....

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Yep, John Barker going was good for us, and Tudor has already made a huge impact in relation to strategy and his ability to communicate with the players. Our first decent forward coach since Daniher.

Thank goodness!!!!!!!!!

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

How's Hawthorn's forward line going this year now that they 'poached' Barker to coach it?

PJ
SS Life Member

Just a little side note about our assistants -

they seem to have a more experienced look about them now

1/ Tony E doing the job with mids

2/ Leigh T is new to the big gig but comes with a long pedigree in VFL

3/ Sos now in his third year

4/ When Ross took over we (assistants) looked a little wet behind the ears

I feel alot more confident with this balance of experience - this area to me is far better off not having the kids IMO.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
saint08
Club Player

[quote="starsign"]we seem to be moving the ball a lot quicker and seem much less afraid to kick to a contest.

quote]

very keen observation. Roo is not the only focus yet he takes the best defender and occasionally 2 with him in the forward line. makes our forward plays far less predictable .

Milne and shneider are not always at Roo's feet , so we get better crumbing at the fall of the ball at the contest.

But it makes a big difference when you have 2 quality ruckmen , allowing Kosi to focus on being a full forward, and is not puffing from runs in the ruck.

Dont underestimate the imopacyt of having een one forward that is not able to effectively chase and apply defensive pressure in our forward line. On Friday night, every forward was putting pressure on the crows attempts to switch the play at half back.

Great coaching and great execution.

rexy
SS Life Member

Bloody good point about Kosi not rucking at all having an influence on his ability to get to contests and compete as a forward. Something I had not considered.

Maybe this year?
Quixote
SS Life Member

Barker is the biggest turkey in AFL coaching today. Barring perhaps that albino they've got down at Windy Hill.

Hawthorn have not won a game since Barker crossed over. :lol:

Fortius Quo Fidelius Yo
Shaggy
Club Player

Lol.

So Tudor is the reason we are suddenly winning out of the middle?

2006-2008 we didn't.

And Kosi is now a gun FF with his 4 goals?

If RL doesn't give him running time around the ground I will guarantee you his form will go off very quickly.

I am not having a go at Tudor but he is yet to prove he is better than Barker. They work with what they are given but Tudor doesn't have 17 players behind the ball now which helps 8-) .

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Rossy seemed the happiest I've ever seen him on a post match interview on Friday night.

Definitely appeared like a man content that everything is working as it should - and that includes assistant coaches, everything.

Shaggy
Club Player

saintspremiers wrote:Rossy seemed the happiest I've ever seen him on a post match interview on Friday night.

Definitely appeared like a man content that everything is working as it should - and that includes assistant coaches, everything.
As he should be.

We are a serious flag threat even if he wants to keep a lid on it. But I doubt Tudor is the reason :D (and I am not having a go at Tudor)