Goose: Is he finished???

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

villasaint
Club Player

wait until the end of the year please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! the willingness of some to say he is finished is a concern to me as a saints fan. Pointing to his lack of mobility back in 2006 is ridiculious. Up until the initial injury when he broke his leg he was in the top three chb in the game. Since then he hasnt had the chance to show he can still play at that level. He is finally coming back and building fitness. He needs a significant amount of games in the two's then may need four or five in seniors before he can be judged. Dont forget Max will not be around next year so if fit he will be vital cog as a tall defender in the future. Plus he can go forward if needed. You need a deep list not just a great 22 to win a flag

Baldock Rules
Club Player

villasaint wrote:wait until the end of the year please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! the willingness of some to say he is finished is a concern to me as a saints fan. Pointing to his lack of mobility back in 2006 is ridiculious. Up until the initial injury when he broke his leg he was in the top three chb in the game. Since then he hasnt had the chance to show he can still play at that level. He is finally coming back and building fitness. He needs a significant amount of games in the two's then may need four or five in seniors before he can be judged. Dont forget Max will not be around next year so if fit he will be vital cog as a tall defender in the future. Plus he can go forward if needed. You need a deep list not just a great 22 to win a flag
Hear! Hear ! Well said Villasaint ! The goose is far from cooked.

There are freaks and freaks and Baldock was both of those.
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Not sure we can accomodate (or need)

Gardiner
King
Kosi
Riewoldt
Hudghton
S.Fisher
Gilbert
Blake
Maguire

That is 9 players bigger than 6'3" and 95kg.......too top heavy.....

We also need t fit in all our Mids, small fwds, small backs....

Look - I believe Goose was a Very Good strong bodied defender with courage.....he has never been highly skilled/agile....One on One he is a good player, but could get caught out occasionally and lose his opponent....probably not the greatest disposal either......

IMO he needs to reinvent himself as we have his role covered (and he may not be able to play that role anymore)

I think he could be the 'bear in the square' as Nathan Thompson put it...

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Goose finished???

Let look at the some of the others written off at the Saints...

Lyon...looks ok

Baker... looks ok

Gardi...is making my mouth water

Kosi..first 2 games looked good

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Not sure we can accomodate (or need)

Gardiner Ruck
King Ruck
Kosi CHF
Riewoldt FF
Hudghton FB
S.Fisher HBF/Mid
Gilbert HBF/BP/Swingman
Blake CHB/FB
Maguire CHB

That is 9 players bigger than 6'3" and 95kg.......too top heavy.....

As you have indicated that may be just one too many...

For all too play one would have to transfom..

ie Gilbert or Goose as a HF...or Fisher as a permanent mid...

Over the last year Blake has stepped u and become a reliable key position backman.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
onlooker
Club Player

We have to be patient and give the guy time to build condition and confidence to play AFL level again. Given what's happened to him his return is a long term project. I reckon like others on this thread assess the situation at the end of the season.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

I will say it again....

S.Fisher is NOT a midfielder - he may be able to 'pinch hit'.....he was an AA defender, give me a rational argument as to why you would move him (is it just to fit goose in).....he is possibly the second best rebounding defender in the AFL......

Defensive six
Hudghton - FB
Blake - CHB
Fisher - HB
Gilbert - BP
Raph - HB
Baker - BP

all play their best footy in defense........

The running back....lose man/seventh man.....mixture of Ray, Xavier, Dal, Gram, Sam Fish.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

The saints defence was a different unit under thommo was all attack from anywhere. He liked players to back them selves and run off an opponent.

I think this is something RL has given the saints like it or not is full ground accountability. Who knows how he'll play under the new game plan we haven't seen him yet except for the Brissy game where he did o.k.

When Max retires probably end of this season and S. King is not going to be around for years two of that list will go.

I think he might have a good chance of finding a regular spot next year.

I hope the club is looking forward and training him for the position he might be in next season.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

vacuous space wrote:He may have to reinvent himself given our wealth of talent down back.
we do have a wealth of talent down back.

you'd reckon we'd be able to spare one of the taller guys to give us a genuine goalkicking third tallish forward.
Last edited by bigcarl on Tue 07 Apr 2009 4:46pm, edited 1 time in total.

older saint
SS Life Member

gringo wrote:The saints defence was a different unit under thommo was all attack from anywhere. He liked players to back them selves and run off an opponent.

I think this is something RL has given the saints like it or not is full ground accountability. Who knows how he'll play under the new game plan we haven't seen him yet except for the Brissy game where he did o.k.

When Max retires probably end of this season and S. King is not going to be around for years two of that list will go.

I think he might have a good chance of finding a regular spot next year.

I hope the club is looking forward and training him for the position he might be in next season.
S King i think is only 30 maybe 31 so would expect up to 3 years out of him form permitting, and I do not think Maguire could fill either of the spots you mentioned.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Will be King's last season IMO......

noob
Club Player

i think he could be like a player in playing down back or forward during the game giving the team different options to work with.

Winmar7Fan
Club Player

Definately. I made the call last year his recovery from injury isn't good unfortunately and I don't believe It ever will be.

IMO he and Xavier are both finished. I also thought the same about Baker but hopefully he could prove me wrong.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Well firstly thanks for those rubbishing me for creating a thread about a player who has barely played for 2 years.....I think it warrants discussion, at the very least.

Looks like the balance of opinion is in favour of Goose making a comeback, which is what we'd all like to see.

And no, I don't have any anti-Goose agendas FYI.....