tackle stats over the last 10 years

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Beej
Saintsational Legend

tackle stats over the last 10 years

Just saw this on Footy Classified.

First three rounds over the last 10 years.

2009 - St Kilda (231 tackles)
2008 - Brisbane (191)
2007 - Sydney (188)
2006 - St Kilda (176)
2005 - Brisbane (172)
2004 - Fremantle (143)
2003 - Fremantle (155)
2002 - Sydney (157)
2001 - Richmond (117)
2000 - Fremantle (108)

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

damn I missed FC - anything of interest re us???

“Yeah….nah””
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:damn I missed FC - anything of interest re us???
GT was very complimentary towards us and gave ross the thumbs up.

TheOptimist
Club Player

bigcarl wrote:
I must have been watching a different program.

... Oh how I want to be with St Kilda!
pluggerisbest

TheOptimist wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
You must have then. Gave RL 5 out of 10 for his first year. Anyone disagree with that. Gave him 7 out of 10 for last year. Seems about right as we jusr made it into 4th spot and lost very easily to the 2 GF. Said this year he is a very good coach who is improving all the time. Have no problem at all with what he said.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

pluggerisbest wrote:
TheOptimist wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
You must have then. Gave RL 5 out of 10 for his first year. Anyone disagree with that. Gave him 7 out of 10 for last year. Seems about right as we jusr made it into 4th spot and lost very easily to the 2 GF. Said this year he is a very good coach who is improving all the time. Have no problem at all with what he said.
nor me. he was honest, fair, forthright and accurate, i thought. he says exactly what he thinks, which is what makes him very good on that program.

mightysainters
SS Hall of Fame

Great stats by the sainters in built into them by Ross... can't fault GT still love to liste nto his insight is extremely knowledgable... Spot on most of the time and re Ross Lyon was no different...

Beej
Saintsational Legend

Also said that he thought Ross had the personality type of an assistant coach, shy and introverted, but went on to say that he's improved a lot in that aspect.

Gave Mark Harvey a bit of a smack.

Interesting thing that Grant said last night was that during the coaches meetings whenever Leigh Matthews had something to say, you could hear a pin drop such was the respect he had amongst everyone.

mightysainters
SS Hall of Fame

He's telling it the way he sees it and Ross' demeanour at time you can understanmd this...

TheOptimist
Club Player

pluggerisbest wrote:
TheOptimist wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
Also said that we would have done better if we had a senior coach as opposed to appointing RL. This despite the fact that we were ravaged with injuries in 07?

... Oh how I want to be with St Kilda!
Marcus1232
Club Player

thats a phenomenal stat with the tackles. Really shows the intensity the boys are playing with and the fact that all the tackles are not coming from the 2 usual suspects in lenny and lukey.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

I think the other thing is that tackles area good barometer of your teams workrate.

We are tacling more yes...but we are also are working harder asa TEAM.

They are linked.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
To the top
SS Life Member

It is not only the tackle count.

It is the manner in which options are being closed down by defensive running and when this leads to a tackle that the tackle attempts to reef the ball off the opposition player.

It was interesting that our normal leading tackler, Ball, had a quiet one against WCE including some fumbling.

But others filled the void, and the manner in which the "lesser lights" such as Jones, Geary, McQualter and Gwilt quickly got to pressure positions and applied tackles, forcing the ball free is the reason for our apparant improvement to date.

Some tackles were not counted because the tackle was on the ball in the possession of an opposition player, not the body.

There are still a couple who do not bring that intensity to their defensive play - but given the 4 mentioned above are not going to be playing in the VFL whilst they maintain doing what they are doing the message will get thru to those who are lagging - including to the players playing VFL because that is the benchmark for senior selection.

Create a contest and put the ball in dispute.

Get to opposition players quickly and make your presence felt - create the distraction - block the space - force them to go where you want them to go.

And on the offensive side, quickly move to make yourself an option.

It is all about accountability- and nothing on a football field has ever changed in that regard.

No doubt the fact we have 2 genuine class ruckmen assists - because that means the ball is where we want to contest it at every start of play.

Very early days, and a loss will change perception obviously, but so far, so good.

Not because of what the scoreboard says but because of the intensity of the effort.

jackal
Club Player

I think that Gt is missing the point a little bit again.

Sure we may have done slightly better the year we missed the 8 (only just mind you) but this is a side that has had to take one step back to go two steps forward. We have almost rebuilt without rebuilding and if our kids can develop then we will remain a contender as long as the core group remains and the hunger persists.

Early days still but this is the most impressive St.Kilda side that I have witnessed (even McQualter looks good out there playing his ole!)