GT on Sen

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

joffaboy wrote:Wouldn't it make sense that the "right" fitness staff are not overrated and that the only fitness staff that were overrated were the poor ones he employed - in his experience as an AFL coach of course?
Not to mention that this argument makes nonsense of Butterss' comments to The Age in the article I linked.

If all fitness staff are the same, and make no appreciable difference to a club's injury list, how do you reconcile this?
As for Butterss, it is all about St Kilda's improvement as a club. "Blind Freddie can work out that we've had (injury) issues over the past few years, probably since '04. There's no doubt in order to be competitive in September, you need the vast majority of best players on the park with a good run of games under their belt. History will tell you that.

"Historically, we've undertaken steps to eradicate this issue. With anything we do, we want to try to position ourselves in the top quartile, that is, in the top two or three clubs, whether it's on-field, off-field, financial or otherwise. For example, I think we're ranked third or fourth of Melbourne-based clubs on membership. You're at least in the game.

"That's the minimum objective with everything we do. But if you look at the statistics, we're in the bottom quartile and possibly at the bottom of the list in terms of recurring soft-tissue injuries.

"We put our hand up as a club and recognise that we have a problem. That's the most important aspect, is recognising that we have one."
One of RB and GT is an ass (at least on this subject). And the results are in.

Shall we finish with this dead horse too?

saintly
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:
To be fair to who?

What has the performance of 'training services' during GT's reign as coach got to do with his apparent opinion that 'fitness staff' today are over-rated?

Did you actually see the segment?
If you employed 'fitness staff' who did stuff all in terms of preventing injuries, you'd probably think they are overrated too.

It's like a lawyer that never gets you off. In the end you'd surely question whether or not getting legal representation is all it's cracked up to be.
i wonder who made the decision to play kosi with a bad back all year.

Saints94
SS Life Member

So what he is on our bandwagon suddenly? :roll:

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

saintly wrote: i wonder who made the decision to play kosi with a bad back all year.
My understanding is that it was the medicos.

They had free reign. Thomas simply asked them who was available, and they told him.

That mail was from a Director at the time.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
skeptic wrote: PS
On FC GT stated that he didn't rate the fitness staff when he was coach. He didn't say he was wrong but I got the impression (yes it is only my opinion) that he implied he got it wrong.
sorry this is just wrong.

I saw the FC discussion - GT clearly indicates he does not rate "training services" much to the laughter of other panellists..
Nice work Teflon... I like how you've interpreted something different to my interpretation and then have proven me to be incorrect by using the word "indicates".

I maintain that he said he didn't rate training services when he was coach. He didn't say or whether or not he rated them now.

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

From the horse's mouth... or fingers...

http://www.saintsational.com/forum/view ... 179#724179

Did you know that a horse's hoof is actually the evolution of its index finger?

I go on a lot about horses, don't I?

If he was dead, do you think rodgerfox would flog him? I do.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

InkerSaint wrote:From the horse's mouth... or fingers...

Didn't he say that their performance is overrated? They don't actually help that much in terms of preventing injuries??

I think he just backed up exactly what I've been saying.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
InkerSaint wrote:From the horse's mouth... or fingers...

Didn't he say that their performance is overrated? They don't actually help that much in terms of preventing injuries??

Actually his words were 'my intention was to point out' not that he said what you're now trying to assert he said. This was an internet forum today, not a transcript of what he said on the FC show, but you knew that.

And just to prove that I can divert a thread as well as anybody else:-
DId anybody hear Brian Waldron on SEN this morning (between 11 and 11:45)?
In response to KB asking him about the coach's influence in drafting, he replied that he's sure it's the same at all Clubs, but whilst he was at the Saints, John Beveridge and his recruiting staff amde all teh draft choices. He then went on to say that the almost had the deal done to bring Cam Mooney to the Club because Grant had seen him play, had liked what he'd seen and had told them to get the deal done.

He was categorical that the drafting was done by the recruiting people BUT any possible trades were GT's area.

I guess that answers all of those who have over time been trying to blame GT for poor drafting decisions or JB for poor trading decisions.

Categorical now
JB is to blame for poor drafting decisions
GT is to blame for poor trading decisions.

Buckets
SS Life Member

Oh FFS! Why does it always turn into a pissing contest between two groups whenever GT makes a comment??? Let's get this through our heads shall we....

GT IS GONE GET OVER IT! FFS HE'S BEEN GONE FOR 2 1/2 YEARS!

Thats Mr. Smartarse to you
InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

rodgerfox wrote:Didn't he say that their performance is overrated? They don't actually help that much in terms of preventing injuries??

You crack me up rodg.

He says basically two things, and neither of them say anything of the sort.
There is no doubt tyhey improve recovery and preparation but the basic fundamentals of the game are compromised because you are not allowed to train players the way they need toi be trained to imporve.
That one knocks your argument on the head.
We had a horrific run with injuries and I allowed colplete control to our training services people. Woulkd it have been any different if I had managed it more closely myself with the other coaches? When the coaches decided to take greater control during pre season and in season "04 we won the pre season cup and then 10 in a row.
That one's a little strange. Did he allow complete control to their training services people before or after the injuries? As for the '04 season, well it was a brilliant start but we all know how that one ended.

To me it reads that he allowed control to training services after the injury run in question, but while he was in control they had a great run of wins (...until of course the attrition from injuries kicked in).

Is that his point? Who will ever know? The man talks in circles.

yipper
SS Life Member

Buckets wrote:Oh FFS! Why does it always turn into a pissing contest between two groups whenever GT makes a comment??? Let's get this through our heads shall we....

:lol: Really?? When did this happen??

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
markp
Saintsational Legend

yipper wrote:
Buckets wrote:Oh FFS! Why does it always turn into a pissing contest between two groups whenever GT makes a comment??? Let's get this through our heads shall we....

:lol: Really?? When did this happen??
Apparently he's on SEN and Footy Classified now.

markp
Saintsational Legend

InkerSaint wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:Didn't he say that their performance is overrated? They don't actually help that much in terms of preventing injuries??

You crack me up rodg.

He says basically two things, and neither of them say anything of the sort.
There is no doubt tyhey improve recovery and preparation but the basic fundamentals of the game are compromised because you are not allowed to train players the way they need toi be trained to imporve.
That one knocks your argument on the head.
We had a horrific run with injuries and I allowed colplete control to our training services people. Woulkd it have been any different if I had managed it more closely myself with the other coaches? When the coaches decided to take greater control during pre season and in season "04 we won the pre season cup and then 10 in a row.
That one's a little strange. Did he allow complete control to their training services people before or after the injuries? As for the '04 season, well it was a brilliant start but we all know how that one ended.

To me it reads that he allowed control to training services after the injury run in question, but while he was in control they had a great run of wins (...until of course the attrition from injuries kicked in).

Is that his point? Who will ever know? The man talks in circles.
And who's this Col Plete who was in control of our training services people?... It's all his fault! :x