Sandy V Casey

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

santazzi
Club Player

Thanks BigMart. Great report. Would you please tell us how you saw Connor's efforts?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:
saintbrat wrote:found reserves details
2009 VFL Reserves

Sandringham 4.5 8.10 14.14 19.16 (130)
Casey Scorpions 1.2 7.4 11.7 15.12 (102)

GOALS:
Sandringham: Eddy 4 Waller 4 Harektuku 3 Stanley 2 Johnston 2 Jones 2 Ferraro Connors
Casey Scorpions: Moore 5 Vernon 2 Collins 2 McNamara Crespin Mildren Bolton Sykes Virtue

BEST:
Sandringham: Stanley Simpkin Waller McGarry Dean Harektuku
Casey Scorpions: McNamara Patti Virtue Vernon Panozza Healey

REPORTED PLAYERS:
Sandringham: Nil
Casey Scorpions: Nil

3 more saints scored goals = 25 saints kicked one or more goals,
oet alone those that ahd a go and got points from touches-
So Eddy was named as an emergency for St Kilda, yet only played in the Sandy RESERVES?????? :shock:
His brother.

zebraman
Club Player

It was Brett Eddy...no relation...he's from Foster in Gippsland

SB10
Club Player

Only went for the second half but in this short period I was very impressed with the development of a number of players, especially the draftees. Keep in mind Casey were pretty ordinary opposition.

We genuinely look to have depth across all positions and as Ross said the other night we now have a number of players banging down the door for a game.

A few that stood out to me yesterday.

X was simply outstanding and despite the teams big win over WC I think he must come straight back in this week. Reading reports from Sandy's frst three games, this has to be 3 BOG's in a row? Will add great depth to a mid-field already firing.

Armitage also had plenty of the ball. A few more consistent performances and he'll also be demanding inclusion.

Eddy, no doubt would be playing in seniors had he not got injured by the friggen umpire. Amazing endurance yesterday and appeared to be everywhere in the second half. Just needs to find a spot, which is very hard at the moment.

Leigh Fisher. Has his limitations (pace and consistency hitting targets) but shines at VFL level. We know what he's capable of, but may need to be very patient to get a crack this year. With so many others competing for a spot can't help but think Ross has him 3rd, 4th or even 5th in line.

Goose - My old man said his disposal was shocking in first half but from what I saw in the 3rd qtr he's not that far away at all. Took some strong grabs across half back and appeared to move pretty freely. Might return sooner than most think!

Tom Lynch - First look at this kid and was very impressed indeed. Leads with authority, creates space, lovely kick and had a purple patch in 3rd qtr. Think he booted 3 for the term (certainly has good goal sense which is very hard to teach). Feel he will make his debut this year, just needs the coach to take a punt on him at such a young age.

Heyne - Don't want to get too excited about this kid but has got that "something special" about him that makes you feel he's going to be around in the red, white and black for many years. Flashed in and out yesterday and could be a smokey to also debut at some point this year. Between Lynch, Heyne and Connors there's plenty to like about the future of our forward line (to complement Roo & Kosi).

All up, things are looking pretty darn good at Moorabbin at the moment! Let's hope all this competition for spots will spur the team onto a massive year.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

SB10 wrote:Only went for the second half but in this short period I was very impressed with the development of a number of players, especially the draftees. Keep in mind Casey were pretty ordinary opposition.

We genuinely look to have depth across all positions and as Ross said the other night we now have a number of players banging down the door for a game.

A few that stood out to me yesterday.

X was simply outstanding and despite the teams big win over WC I think he must come straight back in this week. Reading reports from Sandy's frst three games, this has to be 3 BOG's in a row? Will add great depth to a mid-field already firing.

Armitage also had plenty of the ball. A few more consistent performances and he'll also be demanding inclusion.

Eddy, no doubt would be playing in seniors had he not got injured by the friggen umpire. Amazing endurance yesterday and appeared to be everywhere in the second half. Just needs to find a spot, which is very hard at the moment.

Leigh Fisher. Has his limitations (pace and consistency hitting targets) but shines at VFL level. We know what he's capable of, but may need to be very patient to get a crack this year. With so many others competing for a spot can't help but think Ross has him 3rd, 4th or even 5th in line.

Goose - My old man said his disposal was shocking in first half but from what I saw in the 3rd qtr he's not that far away at all. Took some strong grabs across half back and appeared to move pretty freely. Might return sooner than most think!

Tom Lynch - First look at this kid and was very impressed indeed. Leads with authority, creates space, lovely kick and had a purple patch in 3rd qtr. Think he booted 3 for the term (certainly has good goal sense which is very hard to teach). Feel he will make his debut this year, just needs the coach to take a punt on him at such a young age.

Heyne - Don't want to get too excited about this kid but has got that "something special" about him that makes you feel he's going to be around in the red, white and black for many years. Flashed in and out yesterday and could be a smokey to also debut at some point this year. Between Lynch, Heyne and Connors there's plenty to like about the future of our forward line (to complement Roo & Kosi).

All up, things are looking pretty darn good at Moorabbin at the moment! Let's hope all this competition for spots will spur the team onto a massive year.

Good report! :!:

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Lynch has a big body for an 18yo....very heavy set legs and arse......very similar build to Goose at the same age....could easily debut

There is a picture I have of Goose as a 18yo, and his body shape is almost identical to Lynch's.....

Lynch seems a smarter player.....clever thinker.....uses body positioning

Goose is a power player....uses bulk and fierce attack on the footy

The following players would walk into most AFL teams best 18

Armitage, Eddy, X.Clarke, Maguire

The following would be around the fringes of selection of best 22

L.Fisher, B.Howard, C.Begley, L.Miles, J.Allen, Dempster

The following kids would get plenty of senior games at other AFL clubs.

McEvoy, Heyne, Lynch, J.Steven.

The top group are probably ranked 20-25 at StK.

The next two groups are ranked 26-35 and will be lucky to get a game, unless injury hits hard.....which is why they are called depth players..

stinger
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
saint66au wrote:
saintbrat wrote:found reserves details
2009 VFL Reserves

Sandringham 4.5 8.10 14.14 19.16 (130)
Casey Scorpions 1.2 7.4 11.7 15.12 (102)

So Eddy was named as an emergency for St Kilda, yet only played in the Sandy RESERVES?????? :shock:
His brother.

wrong......and

wrong.... :roll:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

your report is much appreciated big mart.....i respect your views on young players....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
ace
Saintsational Legend

Did Jack Watts No 1 draft pick play for Casey.
Did he play CHF
Did Maguire match up on him.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Watts Is still waiting
Good pic of goose in today's Sun but only a 4 sentence report
In yesterday's other games, Nick Sautner booted eight majors as Sandringham began its new alignment with St Kilda with a 25.16 (166) to 8.15 (63) thrashing of Casey Scorpions at Trevor Barker Oval.

"It's disappointing. In a lot of cases it was boys against men. Sandringham were just too big and too strong around the contest," Scorpions coach Peter German said.

Star Melbourne forward Russell Robertson got through the game unscathed.

"The best part about Robbo is he showed that he's not that far away. He led well at times and took some good marks on the lead," German said

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
sasaint
Club Player

Just hope that everyone doesn't get too excited but all this as the season is way too young. That said, in 2007 when the Cats were so dominant, their VFL side was also super dominant, so this strength at Sandy cannot be a bad thing for us. :wink:

Patience young grasshopper
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

http://www.saints.com.au/season2009/new ... fault.aspx

Zebras start with a bang
9:26 AM Tue 14 April, 2009
Xavier Clarke continued his recent stellar form at Sandringham

Sandringham has powered to a resounding Round 1 win over St Kilda's former affiliate the Casey Scorpions. The Zebras kicked nine goals in the first term to set up the 103 point victory against an undermanned Casey side.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Go Sainters Go
Club Player

A great weekend's work from our boys and the Zebs - an aggregate winning margin of 200 points. Would be hard to beat that in senior footy.

Once a "Saint" always a trueblooded "Saint"
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote:Did Jack Watts No 1 draft pick play for Casey.
Did he play CHF
Did Maguire match up on him.
Jack Watts didn't play.

Being a local boy, he was there and I had a chat with him. Nice bloke.

Goose would have eaten him for lunch.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
esaint66
SS Life Member

BigMart wrote:T.Lynch

1. He led hard in the first quarter and hardly got rewarded but created space for Sautner to lead into,

2.I like the way he uses his body in the contest (has short, thick legs and a big bum and a long body).

3.I would expect him to debut in 09 and be a regular by next year.

1. That is his trait really, he has a law on the field he abides by it's simply "Lead, create space then get the f**k out if your not needed :lol: :lol: :lol:

2. He also prides himself on his one on one body use in contests. He has always been pretty good at that.

3. I hope like hell your right :wink:

sorry i sort of picked at your post mate :oops:

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

I'll be down near Frankston on Saturday - might be an opportunity to see the twos in action.

Where's Frankston Ground?

zebraman
Club Player

InkerSaint wrote:I'll be down near Frankston on Saturday - might be an opportunity to see the twos in action.

Corner of kars St and High Street...There is an entrance in High Street next to a Church...

If you're lost just listen for the bogans yelling out...there's plenty of them get to Frankston...makes some Collingwood supporters look like choir boys

Also remember that the game is being televised on ABC2...

Reserves start at 10.20

Seniors at 1.10

There are 2 teams we really really hate at Sandy

Port Melbourne and Frankston

Come along and cheer the boys then if you're game, head to Frankston Station and catch the train to Etihad Stadium to watch the saints take care of Freo

Saints94
SS Life Member

zebraman wrote:
InkerSaint wrote:I'll be down near Frankston on Saturday - might be an opportunity to see the twos in action.

Corner of kars St and High Street...There is an entrance in High Street next to a Church...

If you're lost just listen for the bogans yelling out...there's plenty of them get to Frankston...makes some Collingwood supporters look like choir boys

Also remember that the game is being televised on ABC2...

Reserves start at 10.20

Seniors at 1.10

There are 2 teams we really really hate at Sandy

Port Melbourne and Frankston

Come along and cheer the boys then if you're game, head to Frankston Station and catch the train to Etihad Stadium to watch the saints take care of Freo
It's on ABC 1 ON Saturday at 1:00 game starts at 1:10

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

http://www.sportingpulse.com/assoc_page ... onID=60264

Sandy impressive
VFL fans have lauded Sandringham's thumping 103-point win over Casey as the best of round one.

Led by eight-goal hero Nick Sautner, the Zebras were menacing with their attack on the footy and skilled possession.

The result was the overwhelming crowd pleaser with the next best win considered to be by the Bullants against Bendigo.

Final poll results:

Which round one win impressed you the most?

Port Melbourne (78 pts v North Ballarat) 12%
Collingwood (25 pts v Geelong) 6%
Coburg (15 pts v Frankston) 10%
Bullants (nine pts v Bendigo) 18%
Sandringham (103 pts v Casey) 53%

To participate in the latest online poll, scroll to the right hand column.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

http://cranbourne-leader.whereilive.com ... n-opener1/

Inexperienced Scorps outclassed in opener by PAUL AMY
IT had the appearance of boys against men.

The Casey Scorpions suffered a 103-point hiding at the hands of Sandringham in their VFL opener at the Trevor Barker Beach Oval on Sunday.

To make matters worse, it was the Zebras with whom the Scorpions had swapped AFL partners, as Sandringham finds itself married to St Kilda.

Only seven Melbourne-listed players appeared for Casey, three of whom were yet to make their AFL debuts.

The Scorpions also fielded six VFL debutants, ensuring that this was one of the least experienced VFL sides witnessed in recent memory.

The game started horribly for the visitors, as they conceded six unanswered goals during the first quarter-hour.

Raw ruckman Jake Spencer could not compete with the athleticism and physicality of opponent Ben McEvoy, who gave his midfielders first use of the ball. McEvoy’s was a dominant display, enabling an experienced Zebra on-ball brigade to run clear and kick long to a well-structured forward line.

With David Armitage, David Gallagher, Leigh Fisher, Xavier Clarke and Peter Summers running wild, the Zebras held an uncompromising 43-point lead at the first change.

Kicking with the breeze provided little respite for the Scorpions during the second term, as the Zebras’ powerful run-and-carry football allowed fast transition into attack.

Such play requires skill, strength and confidence, qualities that the green Scorpions found impossible to counter.

By half-time the result was settled, as the Scorpions were down by 52 points and one vital tall defender: Alex Silvagni left the field with a rib injury.

James Wall battled manfully at centre half-back and later when providing a marking option across half-forward.

But nowhere was the gulf better emphasised than in the forward line delivery offered by the two sides.

Where the Zebras were precise and purposeful, the Scorpions were shaky and indirect.

Veteran Zebra spearhead Nick Sautner booted 8.4 while at the other end Russell Robertson returned 1.2 with two further shots sailing out of bounds in his first match at any level since last June.

Sautner’s intelligent leads proved too much for Silvagni, Trent Zomer and Tim Mohr, who battled manfully to cope with the relentless pressure heaped upon them. Scorpion skipper Kyle Matthews and young Demon Addam Maric were prolific through midfield, while Northern Territorian Pierce Liddle showed glimpses of his talent in his Scorpions’ debut.

They remain glimmers of hope for a rebuilt side which faces a further test this Saturday night when it host 2008 runner-up Port Melbourne under lights at Casey Fields.

Asked after the match to highlight some positives, coach Peter German quipped: “Were there any?â€

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY