Earliest Saints memories...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

HardSaint
Saintsational Legend

Earliest Saints memories...

Driving down Linton Street late last year and seeing the old grandstand, turnstiles, social club etc really took me back to my earliest memories of VFL / AFL football. Having since driven past to see the progress of the demolition and getting that overwhelming deep seated sadness of something that will be forever lost that was so much "bigger than life" as a kid.

I remember the driving all through the backstreets of Moorabin with my dad trying to find that elusive car park which in the end was closer to Highett than anywhere.
Then came the long walk through unknown streets and hearing a crowd in the distance getting louder and louder as we found ourselves walking with more people with a common red white and black thread, my dad talking with strangers and me wondering how he knew so many people (when he didnt at all), me struggling to keep up.

Then as the sound of the crowd grew closer, we came down a hill a turned on to Linton Street and I was over awed by the sight of the grand stand with that huge StKilda coat of arms burning an impression into my consciousness that remains to this day. I can stare at the crossed shield at times for half a minute or so (often after many beers...)and still conjure a feeling stemming from that day and first impression.

It's still so clear, the crowd in the street, the badge and scarf sellers with those huge merchandise boards, but most of all the many arrangements of the Red White and Black, from the jumpers, scarves, hats and blankets to the cord of the members medalians - but most of all the huge crossed shields on the grandstands.

PS: Cant remember the game, was all standing room - couldnt see a thing except blokes backsides so we ended up crushing cans, making ring oull chains and roaming on the east side hill with other kids displaced and locked out of view

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Watching the Saints at the Junction Oval is my first memory.

I joined the band in the Army Cadets at school so I could take a bugle to the footy to play when we scored.

Got kicked out of the ground after about 3 rounds of playing the bugle in the Ironmonger Stand.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
jonesy
Saintsational Legend

Yep,Moorabbin were my first saintly memories also.
Many a long day/night spent there as a little kid as Dad and his mates drank til the late hours. I'd spend most of that time on the ground having shots at goal until well after dark,then walking the boundary and stands trying to find loose change that might have missed the blanket ( remember the blanket they used to carry around at half time for loose change?) .
Always ended up in that bar upstairs after that one on ground level in the fwd pocket shut. Unsure why I was allowed in there...wasn't that saints disco? Remember the players always coming out to do speeches and promising that they'd do better next week...was always next week.I'd end up in all sorts of weird places,us kids used to frequent the saints old gym room ,before we'd always ineveitably get booted by someone.

Remember Barker was my favourite player as a very very youngun,but I hardly remember him playing,think Dad just brainwashed me to say Barker was my favourite.

Until Plugger came along... as a kid I couldn't have been more obsessed with anything else more than plugger. He was God-like to me. A giant mystical figure that roamed the goalsquare. A family friend set up a suprise for me one night after training. Dad played squash for Stkilda,so I'd go along sometimes too Moorabbin to mess around .This one particular night I remember i was kicking the footy on one of the spare squash courts,when dad come running in and said,"quick hurry up and come outside Tony Lockett wants to meet you". I ran out and I was dumfounded!!!! He was leaning against his car,as I walked up he got up and put his hand out and said "G'day Benny good to meet you mate"...I went to reply,but nothing came out,literally no sound,I was starstruck haha!

My first memory of the saints winning a game was 86. We played Melbourne at Moorabbin,think it might of been a good old fashioned mudbath game too. At the time it was our first win of the year,we only won 2 for the year. I remember the song being played over and over and over again after the game.

This is starting to turn into favourite Moorabbin memories, but anyway!
Plugger's ton first ton was a massive day I'll never forget. Dad had something on that day,but there was no way he was going to let me miss it if he happened to boot the 7,so he set up someone to take me. Remember being in the last quarter and we weren't sure whether he was going to get it. When he did I ran out on the ground with 10,000 other fans. Remember I got really close to where everyone was huddling him,then everyone started chanting "PLUGGER (clap clap clap) ,PLUGGER..

Could go on all night,so I'll stop :)

Bring back the Lockett era
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

May 30th 1970..my first game St K V Melbourne at Moorabbin (Ive still got the Footy Record)

My family werent huge fans but Dad took me to at least one game a year in the early 70's.. usually v Melbourne as thats who he supported.

Memories?

**Being amazed at the colour of the jumpers and the green grass (no colour TV back then..all my Sants watching was in B&W)

**Seing the Gilbeys Gin factory as we drove up Nepean Hwy from Mornington and knowing we were close

**Being totally sooky if we werent there for hte start of the seconds and be able to get a seat right on the fence.

**Realising that the Reserves werent a bunch of kids my age and for the most part were of similar age / body shape to the seniors

** Red Barn chicken for lunch (predated KFC)

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
clarky449
Saintsational Legend

Gee i wish i could of gone to moorabbin, my only memory was when we played carlton at Colonial back in the first years

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
saint vince
Club Player

My grandmother used to live in the streets of Moorabin near the ground so I remember my dad and brothers dropping me off there in the morning and then I would walk down and meet them at 3/4 time. ALways the same spot halfway between the clock and the scoreboard.

First few actual game moments I remember was Nicky Winmar's mark on the wing against Essendon and the day Plugger kicked 9 (I think) and we beat Carlton with the last kick of the day. I remember one lady in the crowd behind us kept saying unstoppable when Plugger took a mark. Evertime she said it he would miss the goal. My dad was getting so angry and when she said it the last time I think he was ready to kill her. He kicked the goal and all was forgotten.

Remember plugger kicking his 100 against Footscray and we all ran on the ground. When I came back to the fence the old grumpy Footscray supporters wouldn't let us back over the fence. When we finally found a spot my sister stood on one of their legs getting mud all over the pants. There was nearly a big blue between them after that.

I am still picking Bindi's out of my old scarf that I have given to my son now. No matter how many bindi's you pulled out of yor scraf there was always more.

lazy
Club Player

Born and raised in Canberra I remember supporting Ainslie who wore the same colours as the Saints. I remember watching our single premiership on black and white tv wth my good mate and neigbour on his tv. My folks being new Australians had no concept about Aussie Rules and I don't actually think we had a tv at home back in those days on which I could have watched it. Always loved the Saints and tried out for Ainslie when Cowboy Neale was coaching. Didn't make the firsts but remember my first encounter being Cowboy sending everyone on 15 laps as warmup while he jogged a single one and then faked some excuse about not beng able to do any more.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:Watching the Saints at the Junction Oval is my first memory.

I joined the band in the Army Cadets at school so I could take a bugle to the footy to play when we scored.

Got kicked out of the ground after about 3 rounds of playing the bugle in the Ironmonger Stand.

that's a strange coincidence........me i liked the white webbings...and a bugle wasn't as heavy as a .303......never thought about taking mine to the footy...anyway the old man would have given me a clip over the ears.......

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

Winmars hanger against Melbourne.

Don't even know what ground or year it was but have seen it since in highlights

stinger
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:there for hte start of the seconds and be able to get a seat right on the fence.

**Realising that the Reserves werent a bunch of kids my age and for the most part were of similar age / body shape to the seniors
(predated KFC)
shows that memories are not reality....huge difference in body shapes...imho....only had to listen to the noises of body on body.....boys....as against men for the most part...plus a few old farts too silly to realise that their time had passed....then lists were 55 odd...plus thirds...under 19's ...so sides could carry deadwood....but my memory was...and i'm talking 50's and 60's......reserves were boys...or young men still to develop muscles.......

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
saint patrick
Saintsational Legend

Great read Hardsaint :wink:

Brought back some great memories... thank you 8-)

Never take a backward step even to gain momentum.....

'It's OK to have the capabilities and abilities, but you've got to get it done." Terry Daniher 05

"We have beauty in our captain and we have a true leader in our coach. Our time will come"
Thinline.Post 09 Grand final.
ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

Melbourne vs saints at the MCG don't remember the game b ut I remember before and after so I presume we lost (mid eighties).

first game I remember was whitten oval saint vs the bulldogs I remember Deavenport getting a lot of the ball right near the boundry where we were and remember him getting heaps of it and doing nothing with it.

Schillaci
Club Player

Going to a pre season game at Moorabin in mid 70s vs Sandringham with my dad and uncle when I was about 5. Saints scored 170 odd points and won by about a 100. I thought the Saints were fantastic...great brainwashing by the old man!

Earliest memories are mostly of Moorabin but also remember where we always stood... at the Whitten Oval (was there when Templeton kicked 15), at Victoria Park (was there when we got belted by close to 200 pts and scored only 3.11.29- the score is forever burned in my memory- worst day ever at the footy but stayed till the end), being on either my dad's or uncle's shoulders at Lakeside Oval- can't remember which as they used to take shifts of holding me up so I could see above heads and seeing Barker take an absolute screamer.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Doesn't really qualify as my memory as such, but...

Mum's pretty short and she always goes on about how she used to go down to Rabbin and pile up stacks of old steel beer cans so she could see over the crowd and watch the game...Rossie Smith etc...She was pregnant with me at the time so I inherited the Saints in utero...I quite like that.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Late 70's and beyond is my period.

My grandfather used to take me to pretty much every game, every week.

We used to park behind the shops at the Jasper road/South road intersection every single week.

Used to walk up South road. Take your life into your hands running across South road as you approached linton street. Cut through the service station on the corner....And to the ground.

We were club members, but only really went into the members if my grandfather was catching up with some of his mates. The rest of the time, we would park ourselves half way up the terrace, Smack bang in between the scoreboard and the time clock on the outer side.

We used to get absolutely smashed in those days...

Would only win two games a year, usually against Fitzroy...both times.
Jeez I saw some hidings...But I always thought we would win...

Golden era in my eyes....even if it seriously lacked onfield success.

The Cunningham's, Sidebottom's, Silvio Faschini, Robbie Elphinstone and Greg Burns to name a few.....And of course, Trevor Barker. Just superstars in my eyes.

And the mud.

The endless cycle of coaches....up until The Doc coming in. Then some success and a newer breed of player...The kids...And the slow progression of onfield success.

Jeeeeez...Moorabbin for a win. That place just used to go bananas. It was a living, breathing monster. Especially when we started to win some games....There was just so much pressure in there. Something I will never forget. The whole ground chanting. Seeing the entire members stand rise as one at a simple umpiring decision....Or shudder as we kicked a goal. The absolute desperation for the win....Absolute desperation.

I used to follow Plugger from end to end, quarter by quarter. And I wasnt the lone ranger there. Just awesome.

David Grant taking Hangers on the outer side Half back flank.

Spudda Frawley, forget his coaching and commentator days, He was as miserable and dour as a full back could be

Nicky Winmar......Nicky Winmar. The members stand actually used to call his name when he touched the ball. As if it had a voice of its own.

That ground slowly became a fortress. Like the dome on a Saturday night.

It was a football education that I dont think can be repeated in this day and age.

Oh, and there is a house in Glen Waverley, where the back lawn was sewn direct from sods taken from the South Road goalsquare after the last seniors match played at the ground....No foolin.
Last edited by bigred on Wed 22 Apr 2009 10:03am, edited 1 time in total.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Bigred you have the hair on the back of my neck firmly on end.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

My first memory was watching Mum take my eldest brother to the 1971 Grand Final, as I watched them go I was in tears, so I waited and when they returned, the tears were on their cheeks :cry:

Duggie1
Club Player

Bernard Shakey wrote:Watching the Saints at the Junction Oval is my first memory.

I always wondered where that bugle call was coming from.
I used to stand beside the players race because in those days if you were smart you could sneak in past the doorkeeper and mingle with the players after the game. :lol:

Always a Saint
matrix
Saintsational Legend

what a great thread.
some old supporters on here!!

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

matrixcutter wrote:what a great thread.
some old supporters on here!!
Hey, not "old supporters", just longtime supporters.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
matrix
Saintsational Legend

sorry old fella
:P :P

just jealous of some of the things long time supporters have had the chance to see and do.
8-)

terry smith rules
SS Life Member

saint66au wrote:May 30th 1970..my first game St K V Melbourne at Moorabbin (Ive still got the Footy Record)

I reckon my first saints game was also in 1970 v Melb but at the mcg.

We drove down from our home near Ballarat. I remember thinking "where is the commentry" I thought we would get the game called over the pa.

In 1971 I went to all the Saints finals game and cried at the end of the gf and was pissed off that there seemed to be so many people who didn't care as much.

Then when I got older and moved to Melbourne loved going down to Moorrabbin, always stood just in fromt of where the players wives and injured players sat.

Loved the cowboy kicking goals. Loved the passion. Loved the hardness of blokes like Theodore, Burns , Joffa, pup Sarau etc

I remember one day leaving the car park and a huge brawl stared around my car b/w sharpies and whoever else wanted to join in. My mate and I sat in the car not looking at anybody.

fqf

happy feet
Club Player

Safeway at Bentleigh

I can remember Moorabbin in the very early 70's, and have a distant memory of the Junction St Oval, probably only would have been 7 or 8 years old at the time. I definitely remember spotting Darrel Baldock in the car park of Safeway in Bentleigh on the corner of Jasper and Centre Roads - he was still playing and was my hero. I yelled out at the top of my voice, "Mum, there's Baldy Baldock" as I used to refer to him when I was a little kid. My poor Mum just about died, but the great man threw his head back and roared laughing, came over and shook my hand then went on his way.

That my best and earliest memories about the Saints...

HardSaint
Saintsational Legend

My grandparents used to have on old St Kilda jumper in a linen closet that apparently belonged to Eric Guy.
Unaware of its significance, I butchered the badge (and put holes in the jumper) trying to unstitch it to put it on my little Saints jumper of the time.
I didnt get in that much trouble as it was amongst a bunch of old rags in the linen closet

I just remember how hard it was getting an authentic St Kilda patch/ badge and how bad I wanted the real look on my jumpers as a kid.

claystreet
Club Player

It was ironic for me that we lived in Hampton and and as a boy i walked to the Junction Oval and would sneak in though a small hole in the fence. We moved to Elwood alot closer to the Junction oval but the Saints moved to Moorabbin which would have been much closer from Hampton :roll:

I would walk all the way to Linton St. I remember the carpark being chockers with supporters making their way to the entry. In those days i would stand at the South Rd end then after the game hopefully spot some kids that lived around Elwood and get a lift off their parents :wink:

I was taken away from Melbourne to live in Newcastle NSW in May 1966 i was devastated.

As an adult i returned to Melbourne and lived in Clay st Moorabbin right, behind the outer wing and as fate would have it i hadnt planned to be living there it just happened. All through the 80's untill we went to Waverly i had the bes tlocation on the planet :D

I have seen so many great players at Moorabbin but Big Carl and Doc were and still are my heroes of Moorabbin.