Raf...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Raf...

Raf not on the injury list. Must be due to play, but will the selectors make the move?

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

The team is goiing well so I say No. Give him a week in the VFL first

Schillaci
Club Player

I would bring Raph straight back...we are in the best shape injury wise (touch wood) since longer than I can remember and it is little coincidence that we are enjoying team success as a result. Go back through the premiers of recent times and you'll find they had minimal injuries to their top players in those years.
Nice selection dilemma for Ross Lyon to have...Raph's right to go but is it too early, McEvoy starred in the 2s, Maguires doing nicely....options... options...
Friendly Saints Coach Ross Lyon Counts Growing Riches...
http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/ ... 42,00.html
Last edited by Schillaci on Tue 21 Apr 2009 9:52pm, edited 1 time in total.

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

how has McEvoy's form been in the VFL?

Schillaci
Club Player

iwantmeseats wrote:how has McEvoy's form been in the VFL?
BOG last week apparently

starsign
Club Player

I think RL has made his thoughts quite clear on this matter
And at the moment we have used no more than 23 players over 4 rounds and expect that to extend to just 24 this week for R5
none of those 23 used so far, and currently available, will be missing this week, so if Raf comes does surprizingly come in, it will be for Kozi presuming he doesn't come up!
my tip for a Kozi replacement would have to come from those who went round for the Zebs on Saturday , with Big Mac heading the list, and Goose a rough outsider,or maybe X on a reshuffle, though can't see it
I think/hope they would like to revert back to the bigger structured forward line up that has been so successful and well orchestrated so far, which sees the likes of Milney and Schneiderman exteremly dangerous at the fall of the ball
and if Bigmac isn't deemed up to it then apart from the relatively untried Goose down forward or as a backman replacement for a permanent BJ or Gilbert , but to my mind that would take some potent flexibility away from BJ who can be an extr impact down there as is, and a sheer waste of a current in form elete back in Gilbo
Be an intresting selection though,maybe Kozi may come up but highly unlikely especailly given the 6 day break

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

who would he come in for?

Doesn't seem a good fit to replace Kosi, every1 else is playing so well.

I had Raph as a monty ahead of Gwilt, Geary and Dawson but all of them are playing so bloody well i'd hate to lose them

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

No-one has mentioned Rob Eddy yet? He was next cab off the rank (23rd man) last week !!

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Eddy was 23rd man more for flexibility if someone got injured during warm ups. I think this week plan A for Ross would be to replace like for like, being McEvoy for Kosi. The weather however may bring in plan B, which would open the door for X or Eddy.

The article was interesting though in that I do get the feeling Raph will be in against the Dogs and Max for the Pies, which means that all things being equal we should be at full strength for the Collingwood / Essendon fortnight, meaning Kosi, Raph, Max and possibly X will all be back in the side. Expect to see a few players lift their games and the fringe players continue to raise the bar to keep their spots.

I'm loving this, we deserve a year where players remain relatively uninjured and changes to the side are form related meaning players who pull on the jumper deserve to pull on the jumper. Please no one anger those fickle injury gods.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Agreed Ghost.

I think, though, any hint of damp will favour the smaller, more versatile player... Am prob sounding broken record like as I've said the same thing in other posts but three big giants lumbering around with their arms in the air while a slippery, heavy-ish ball comes in above head height just won't work IMO.

Heard Ross sound a little conservative re Raph Clarke return, so it'll be Eddy or X Clarke for mine. Perhaps Begley's the roughie. Ross seems to rate Eddy highly - fair enough, he puts in - and from all reports X has been cruising a touch in the magoos, so perhaps Eddy's the man.

How's Eddy's tackling? Whoever comes in is going to have to tackle his little a-se off.

kp83
Club Player

Thinline wrote:Agreed Ghost.

I think, though, any hint of damp will favour the smaller, more versatile player... Am prob sounding broken record like as I've said the same thing in other posts but three big giants lumbering around with their arms in the air while a slippery, heavy-ish ball comes in above head height just won't work IMO.

Heard Ross sound a little conservative re Raph Clarke return, so it'll be Eddy or X Clarke for mine. Perhaps Begley's the roughie. Ross seems to rate Eddy highly - fair enough, he puts in - and from all reports X has been cruising a touch in the magoos, so perhaps Eddy's the man.

How's Eddy's tackling? Whoever comes in is going to have to tackle his little a-se off.
From memory that was the highlight of Eddy's game last year - his tackling and pressure.

Interesting thoughts on having too many big men, but considering we have 2 quality small forwards, it may be a good idea structurally to have a permanent big man in the goal square to bring the ball down to them.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

If you want a permanent biggie then they are going to have to be pack smasher...Gardi could do that I suppose...He's got some form...

Banger2Plugger
Club Player

I'm tipping X will be making the trip - and if its wet weather as predicted - he will be in.
I'm not sure of the merits of a third tall in the wet - 2 talls bringing it to ground, more at the foot of the pack I would think is the way to go.

If everyone speeds, why haven't you been overtaken?
Solar
Saintsational Legend

I have a feeling that macca will make the selected side and eddy will come in if it stays wet

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
saintbob
SS Life Member

If Raph is injury free and ready to play, he could come in for Kosi no worries at all.

Raph could play down back in the same role as Gilbert is currently, which was Raph's role last year anyway, and Gilbert can go forward as he did in the preseason.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Solar wrote:eddy will come in if it stays wet
X would be before him wouldn't he?

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

Solar wrote:I have a feeling that macca will make the selected side and eddy will come in if it stays wet
Macca/King in the ruck. Gardi up in the square...

Solar
Saintsational Legend

InkerSaint wrote:
Solar wrote:I have a feeling that macca will make the selected side and eddy will come in if it stays wet
Macca/King in the ruck. Gardi up in the square...
macca is a better forward to float through the 50 and play roo closer to home. macca would be teared apart by the two port rucks. gardiner and king give us a break even and our mids are good enough to get enough hard ball from this equation.

I would personally play raph for a half for sandy.

Still would like to see lynchy get a game but I just rate the bloke so highly

FQF
In richo I trust

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

I actualy think our rucks - ie Gardi and King - are smarter, more athletic, and better skilled than their Port counterparts so I'd be loathe to do anything to lose that advantage.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:I actualy think our rucks - ie Gardi and King - are smarter, more athletic, and better skilled than their Port counterparts so I'd be loathe to do anything to lose that advantage.
They are also very big guys who compete very well

how many times have we played port and been killed by lade and brogan!

FQF
In richo I trust

Quixote
SS Life Member

X will come in, especially given the weather. Macca unlucky.

Jimmy and Sammy to alternate forward, with BJ going everywhere.

Fortius Quo Fidelius Yo
Quixote
SS Life Member

BTW how the hell is Jack Steven travelling??

Fortius Quo Fidelius Yo
clarky449
Saintsational Legend

Nah, let raph go through the 2nds, id brind X.Clarke in

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93