Milne - Best small Forward in Comp?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

The problem seems to be a definitional one.

The players who I would see as "small forwards" who have impressed me in recent seasons have been (in no particular order): Milne, Betts, Didak, Steve Johnson, Motlop and Mark Williams (who, for some reason, nobody on this thread has mentioned: I guess he'll have to console himself with his premiership medallion).

I don't really see Paul Chapman or, these days, Paul Medhurst as exclusively playing as forwards (indeed, Didak plays further back a lot these days as well: but that's partly because Collingwood doesn't have enough talent across the field to allow him to play exclusively as a forward, which is where he belongs IMO).

For mine, Steve Johnson is the best of these: the guys' a freak. Milne, Didak and Williams aren't too far away. And Betts is getting better and better all the time. Motlop is the least impressive of the group for mine, but is still a good player.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Sobraz
SS Life Member

StSteven wrote: .....and would Milne get a game at these other clubs. I doubt he would at Geelong.
Rubbish... He'd walk into Geelongs team... He is miles ahead of Stokes, Burns, Varcoe, who have all played long term roles as small forwards...

Hell, you'd play him ahead of Gamble, Lonergan and even maybe Hawkins and use Mooney as your sole key forward with Milne working up the ground... He is a better footballer than all those ive mentioned....

Lets not overrate the cats whilst underrating Milne...

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Fair call Sobraz I reckon.

yipper
SS Life Member

Sobraz wrote:
StSteven wrote: .....and would Milne get a game at these other clubs. I doubt he would at Geelong.
Rubbish... He'd walk into Geelongs team... He is miles ahead of Stokes, Burns, Varcoe, who have all played long term roles as small forwards...

Hell, you'd play him ahead of Gamble, Lonergan and even maybe Hawkins and use Mooney as your sole key forward with Milne working up the ground... He is a better footballer than all those ive mentioned....

Lets not overrate the cats whilst underrating Milne...
Spot on sobraz, is it because he wears a StKilda jumper that he just can't possibly be as good as anyone from Geelong?? Gee, a little perspective can be useful. This bloke (Milne) has been a key player in a very talented Saints team for years now. Sure he has had off days over the years, but I would've thought it was glaringly obvious that he has now added a fair dose of consistency into his game and is much bigger and stronger than he once was. Has added a few more strings to his bow over the past couple of seasons as well. His goakicking consistency is just streets ahead of his rivals - he is an important cog in our team and must be stopped if StKilda is to be beaten.

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Since when is 190cm a small fwd????

S.Johnson???

He is a HFF.....like O'Keefe, Murphy, Motlop, Burton, Dale Thomas etc....
they are decetively big....

Sainterone
Club Player

[quote="vacuous space"]..... Right now Milne is behind LeCras, Betts and Medhurst in terms of goals.............[/quote]

Milne - games 169 - goals 340 - average 2.01
LeCras - 80 / 40 average 2.00
Betts - 98 / 79 average 1.24
Medhurst - 144 / 250 average 1.74

There aren't many crumbing small forwards that average more than 2.00

Milne:

5th on the all-time Saints goalkicking list behind Plugger, Bill Mohr, Buckets Loewe and the G-train, (in front of Barry Breen, Allan Davis, Cowboy Neale, Spider, George Young, Nicky Winmar, Baldock, Ross Smith, Jason Heatley and others

averaging same number of goals per game as Roo and has a higher average than Rex Hunt, Allan Davis, Baldock, Barry Hall and Aaron Hamill. Has a lower average than Craig O'Brien (52 games for 116 goals).

the only? forward (not FF or CHF) to kick 10 plus in a game

currently 119th on VFL / AFL alltime goalkicking list and will (barring any injury) break into the top 100 by season end

excitement machine :D :lol:
Last edited by Sainterone on Thu 23 Apr 2009 10:11pm, edited 1 time in total.

GO SAINTS

NICK RIEWOLDT - 444 GOALS FROM 200 MATCHES
STEPHEN MILNE - 440 GOALS FROM 216 MATCHES
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

He is not the best IMO.....but he is a good one more often than not.....

He has lasted in a spot which is difficult to maintain form....and done so because he is always dangerous and plays the position well

he has no defensive side, which hurts his effectiveness......but limited opportunities are all he needs to have an impact.....there are few games where he has NO impact and there are some games where he has a massive impact.....

Saint Pete

Bit unfair to say he has no defense in his game. Five years ago I agree but the past couple of seasons has worked on this part of his game. Lyon would not play him no matter how many goals he got unless he improved his pressure and tackling in the forward 50. Still makes the odd dumb decision but thats Milney but I reckon they are getting few and far between now.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

2nd worst tackler in the team...if he does actually lay one, it is lazy, head high and gives away a free.........

pick who you think the worst is.....

top three for guys who chase the least.....

in saying that.......he has got better....what does that say

Foz
Club Player

worst tackler in the team...Roo !

worst 3...Roo, Max and Geary last year ? Sam Fisher there also

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:2nd worst tackler in the team...if he does actually lay one, it is lazy, head high and gives away a free.........

pick who you think the worst is.....

top three for guys who chase the least.....

in saying that.......he has got better....what does that say
His 2nd/3rd efforts to extract the ball from among 3 Freo players and set up a goal to Roo last Saturday was the individual highlight of the game for me. A couple of years ago I might have agreed with you but since he was dropped last year IMO he has improved his "off the ball" workrate and tackling skill 500%

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

yes he has improved.....gone from the worst in the AFL to not even the worse in the team.....but he is still poor....his efforts when he loses the ball is poor......not so bad when it is in dispute........especially in the F50....

He is a great Small Fwd.....but....not defensively good by nature...

Fos - on the Money....Nick Riewoldt....very poor tackler....and does not do it often...

I did not say how many....it was how good....

Players on the last line are low in tackles due to their position.....most teams Full Backs are low in tackles.....