The Fox Report - Round 4

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

meher baba wrote: I'm not sure that I agree that our back six is close to being the equal of theirs. The Geelong back six has done well so far this year (against, let's face it, a much stronger bunch of teams that the four that we have played so far) without Harley
I'll see your Harley and raise you a Hudghton. And a Raph. And a Goose.

Richmond ran them close, and have since lost to Melbourne, Hawthorn's form isn't setting the world on fire. Don't know that their oppoenents thus far have been much different to ours. Certainly have to agree that they are justifiable flag favourites at this stage, but they probably were in April last season as well. :!:

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

True Believer wrote:
meher baba wrote: I'm not sure that I agree that our back six is close to being the equal of theirs. The Geelong back six has done well so far this year (against, let's face it, a much stronger bunch of teams that the four that we have played so far) without Harley
I'll see your Harley and raise you a Hudghton. And a Raph. And a Goose.

Richmond ran them close, and have since lost to Melbourne, Hawthorn's form isn't setting the world on fire. Don't know that their oppoenents thus far have been much different to ours. Certainly have to agree that they are justifiable flag favourites at this stage, but they probably were in April last season as well. :!:
OK: I certainly agree that our back six gives them a run for their money. But theirs is pretty bloody good IMO.

In terms of who both teams have played this season, we've both played Adelaide at AAMI: we struggled to beat them, while Geelong thrashed them. Apart from this, Geelong have played last year's other grand finalist and the Pies, another team that made the finals last year, along with the Tigers who played their best game of the season against Geelong.

We have played the Eagles - who were diabiolical and Freo: who are barely up to VFL standard, let alone AFL. And we played the Swans, who I wouldn't rate any higher than the Pies.

By any standard, Geelong have had the more difficult draw so far, and have performed better than us overall. You can point to percentages, but how would Geelong's look had they played Freo and the Eagles at home rather than Richmond and the Hawks?

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
markp
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
iwantmeseats wrote:WTF people? Even thoguh we have a 4 - 0 record so far, you think we are shoe in for finals and the rest of the season is just a bore till we get there? haha, you deluded fools. We are not yet gaurenteed finals by a long shot. To be real serious we need top 4, and that is a LONG way off. Where is your grip on reality?
It's not that we're a shoe in, it's that we've shown we are well and truly capable.

A top 4 finish last year, followed by a 4-0 start this year.

We're a contender.

When you're a contender, you really areonly interested in winning flags. Winning games each week is pleasant, but not enough to excite.

So if you know you're a contender, and don't get aroused by mere H&A wins, the games in between May and September are really just filling up space.

There's only 3 or 4 teams each year that can win it. You know who they are after 2 months. In some seasons, you know within 1 month.

We already know who these teams are - Geelong. Hawthorn. Us.

How does the song go? Wake me up, when September comes.
Mind you don't trod in that one too folks.... :roll:

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

the shadow wrote:OK RF I'll bite. I know you're being a bit mischevious, but the selections of Gilbo and Sam Fisher were purely John Beveridge's good work. GT told us as much recently, when he stated he was responsible for player trades and JB was responsible for drafting. I suspect you already know that and you're just having a bit of fun.

BTW why do you seem to get so much enjoyment out of the sport of baiting others about our two-faced, narcissistic, premiership costing, controlling wanker , GT? I know I've been sucked in here myself, but whenever that incompetent loser gets a leg up, I feel the rest of us need to inform the public of the truth about him.

I've had the misfortune of cleaning up a couple of GT corporate train wrecks (In the way he's handled people) and I think you'll find his record is the same wherever he's gone. He's never been welcomed back to anywhere he's been in the corporate world. Remember it's been three years since he's been sacked and his attempts to re-enter the corporate world were met with utter indifference. He's been working for himself (Although he's always done that) out of necessity, not choice. One of my friends who owns a large finance and investment company was approached by GT for a $400K a year senior executive job. My friend turned him down. When I asked him why, he said, "Would you pay that man $400K to run your business? I wouldn't pay him $400."

SEN and Footy Classified seem to be the only places to give him a shot. Don't worry, he'll shoot himself in the foot eventually. Just as he has everywhere else he's been. If your feelings for him are genuine, then I do admire your loyalty. I reckon you're a bit smarter than that and you just enjoy the baiting. What do you think RF?
I don't have feelings for him.

I just don't have feelings against him. Some find that hard to comprehend.

Anyway, I stand corrected. Sam Fisher and Sam Gilbert are 2 defenders well developed under GT.

The Craw
Club Player

rodgerfox wrote: Anyway, I stand corrected...........and Sam Gilbert ....... defenders well developed under GT.
er...stand corrected again
recruited as the #33 draft pick in the 2005 AFL Draft from Southport. He made his debut for St. Kilda in Round 8, 2006 against Carlton. Gilbert played only one further match in 2006, failing to make a big impact.
Thomas was sacked at the end of the year...
The 2007 season brought further opportunities for Gilbert, and he was included for the Round 5 match against Port Adelaide Power, after excellent form in St Kilda's VFL reserves side. Setting the pattern for his team mates, Gilbert laid seven tackles. He held his spot in the side and blossomed under coach Ross Lyon, playing every game for the rest of the year
Stand corrected again. There is nothing wrong with admitting your bias towards Thomas

Not Craw, CRAW!
Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

rodgerfox wrote: I'd probably say that the difference is when I mention the letters 'GT' I don't really think much of it.

Quite simply, they are two defenders who came to the club under GT with very little hype about them - and they are now playing very good footy.

If people get upset by that, then I'd say they have the problem - not me.

Fair dinkum, time to get over it.
See, that's the problem right there Dodgy, I think you're telling porkies! You are the one with the problem, and the exact opposite of your claim is true, as indicated by your behaviour. You clearly think very much about it when you mention the letters GT, as you are the only poster who seems to think that it's relevant what coach was in charge when player A or B was recruited! And you specifically picked out only players recruited during the reign of GT. No one else would think to mention that in a match review, and with good reason - it's not relevant!!!

And beofre you start salivating over your keyboard in anticipation of a 10 page circle jerk over GT, keep in mind that I am not one of your regular combatants and I don't really care. I don't think he was the anti-christ, and I think at one time he was the right man for the right time, but that time passed. And please don't insult me again with your juvenile shyte about "time to get over it", you were the one who once again felt compelled to bring up the initials GT for no good reason other than to satisfy your own lusting for deity worship.

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

meher baba wrote:In terms of who both teams have played this season, we've both played Adelaide at AAMI: we struggled to beat them, while Geelong thrashed them. Apart from this, Geelong have played last year's other grand finalist and the Pies, another team that made the finals last year, along with the Tigers who played their best game of the season against Geelong.

We have played the Eagles - who were diabiolical and Freo: who are barely up to VFL standard, let alone AFL. And we played the Swans, who I wouldn't rate any higher than the Pies.

By any standard, Geelong have had the more difficult draw so far, and have performed better than us overall. You can point to percentages, but how would Geelong's look had they played Freo and the Eagles at home rather than Richmond and the Hawks?
Still worse than ours, I'll bet.

Why couldn't they post a cricket score against the cellar dwellers Richmond, the way Carlton did? They were trailing at three-quarter time, a position the Saints have yet to be in this year.

Perhaps Adelaide were a better team on the day we faced them? And if we "struggled" to beat them, then Geelong "struggled" to beat Richmond. That says more about Geelong than it does about us. We still conceded less goals against Adelaide than they did.
By any standard, Geelong have had the more difficult draw so far
Nope, and I've already answered this one: opponents' premiership points.