King to miss, Koschitzke a chance for Dog fight

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

doggerel
Club Player

King to miss, Koschitzke a chance for Dog fight

ST KILDA ruckman Steven King will miss this week’s clash against the Western Bulldogs with a hamstring injury, while Justin Koschitzke is a chance to return.

King , whose combination with Michael Gardiner in the ruck has been one of many success stories for the Saints so far in 2009, sustained the injury in last week’s win over Port Adelaide.

St Kilda coach Ross Lyon said he would not take any risks with the former Geelong captain this week.

“It’s really low-grade. We’ll assess him as he goes. We’ve ruled him out this week just to clarify any expectations this week,â€

St Kilda Social Club member since 1996
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

I have always been one of Lyons biggest fans...

However you can pretty much ignore what he says pre-match about selections. It has no correlation with what actually occurs. Some weeks it does...more often it does not.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Thu 30 Apr 2009 12:19am, edited 1 time in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
sainter2631
Club Player

Agreed.

Wait for the selection because speculation based solely on his mid-week press conference is not always accurate. Usually he just gives a general idea and you don't really know until the teams are announced.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

He specifically said that King wont play "to clear up the speculation" so thats good enough for me. Hes playing ducks and drakes with Kosi far more..my guess is he will be named in the extended squad but wont play...might even be picked in the 22 but be a late withdrawal and replaced with Mac

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

I was not meaning King.

I think it was always pretty clear that he would miss a week.

It is Kosi that the games are being played with.
saint66au wrote:He specifically said that King wont play "to clear up the speculation" so thats good enough for me. Hes playing ducks and drakes with Kosi far more..my guess is he will be named in the extended squad but wont play...might even be picked in the 22 but be a late withdrawal and replaced with Mac
See the Wodonga thread :wink:

Though whether that is Mac for King's role...or for Kos's..who knows.

However King's injury is I believe in the hamstring...
Whereas Kois wasa "back-related" Hammy....which actually means not the hammy at all (ie is a back or buttock muscle twinge). If so then Kosi's is more minor...

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

And for another article rife with speculation and based on bugger all...

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/rfnews ... 77562.html

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Lyon said: "He (McEvoy) is going reasonably … big ruckmen take time."
he's right of course, but there are exceptions. let's hope big mac is more in the latter group.

Saint_in_SA
Club Player

King will definitely be out and with us being 5 zip can't see a risk being taken with Kosi..... give McEvoy a chance - he can play ruck and go down forward and cause a headache or two down there also. The McEvoy selection will also retain our current structure which appears to be working well.

X on song is definitely in our best 22 if only his body wasn't so brittle and he could string a few games together, preferably a whole season.

Would it be fair to say that Armo has not come on as well as expected? Is it poor attitude? Skills? He was after all a top ten selection so how does he compare to others in the same draft?

A-HUH A-HUH A-HUH
ace
Saintsational Legend

[quote="Saint_in_SA"]
Would it be fair to say that Armo has not come on as well as expected? Is it poor attitude? Skills? He was after all a top ten selection so how does he compare to others in the same draft?[/quote]

The draft at the end of 2006 was a disaster for more than just St Kilda.
Inaccurate comparative assessments of Queensland players versus other competitions affected a few clubs.
But only St Kilda doubled up on their mistake.
A record total of 7 Queensland players were taken in the first two rounds of that draft.
During seasons 2007 and 2008 none became permanent fixtures in their respective teams.
9 David Armitage (St Kilda) 16 games
17 Shaun Hampson (Carlton) 12 games
21 Gavin Urquhart (North Melbourne) 14 games
22 Albert Proud (Brisbane) 9 games
24 Brent Renouf (Hawthorn) 8 games
27 Brad Howard (St Kilda) 2 games now rookie listed
30 Ricky Petterd (Melbourne) 11 games
32 Kurt Tippett (Adelaide) 19 games

If only 7 Joel Selwood (Geelong) 45 games could have slipped another 2 picks. :evil: :evil: :evil:

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.