Eade predicts dogfight

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintly
Saintsational Legend

Eade predicts dogfight

Eade predicts dogfight
30/04/2009 1:03 PM
Angus Morgan
Sportal
Related Links
Boyd forecasts Sunday scrap
The Western Bulldogs will welcome back Brownlow Medalists Adam Cooney and Jason Akermanis for what coach Rodney Eade predicts will be a scrap and a dogfight against ladder leaders St Kilda at Etihad Stadium on Sunday.

Cooney, who missed the Bulldogs' losses to West Coast and Carlton because of minor knee surgery, and Akermanis, available after a week's suspension, offer a much-needed injection of class and experience to a side that's lost its way over the past fortnight.

Speaking at Whitten Oval on Thursday morning, Eade said he couldn't fault his team's effort, and confidence among the playing group remains strong.

But he conceded that the Dogs' ball-use will need to improve against the 'form' team of the competition.

"The fact they haven't lost a game and I think it's the manner in which they've won the games and their percentage (of 211.8) is a true testament to the way they're playing," said Eade of the Saints.

"They're obviously holding teams up - they can't score - and in fact they're scoring heavily themselves."

"It's an enormous challenge, there's no doubt about that."

If the Bulldogs are to avoid a third straight defeat, according to Eade, they need to at least match the Saints in contested ball and then use it effectively when given the chance.

Asked about the Saints' relentlessness and their ability to strangle the life out of the opposition, Eade said he was less concerned about the spectacle than he was about the result.

"I think it's going to be one of those games that's probably going to be a low-scoring game and it's just going to be a real fight all the way," he said.

"Whether tactics come into it too much ... it's no good relying on tactics if you can't win the ball."

Eade played down fatigue and his team's demanding travel schedule over the opening month of the new season which included two trips to Perth as a factor in the mini form slump.

But he said he was encouraged by the way the playing group had taken ownership of its situation and was working hard to turn things around.

"I think the group with the leadership that they are showing are taking a fair bit of responsibility, they have a fair bit of discussion as a group so really as a coach I haven't had to say a lot to them," he said.

"I think they've been able to challenge each other but I think overall they've been able to maintain their belief in themselves and you can see that the way they've trained this week, the way they've attacked everything."

"And I think it's good for us to get back on the horse against a very good team."

Mr X from the West
Club Player

Mind games. Won't work.

Don't rate the Bullies; never have.

"Blow out the candle I will burn again tomorrow"
ace
Saintsational Legend

Our pit bulls will maul his puppies.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Woof or Wolf?
Last edited by perfectionist on Thu 30 Apr 2009 5:12pm, edited 1 time in total.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

no doubt trying to suck us into playing the man rather than the ball.

oldest trick in the book, but it's worked before.

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

Also

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/ ... 42,00.html
"Tactics can come into it but there is no use relying on tactics if you can't win the ball.

"That is where the main game is going to be, winning the contested ball and then doing something with it."
Yeah, Rocket... like turning it over constantly or struggling to find a forward target?

He is expecting a low score from his mob... and blindly hoping for the same from ours. :wink:

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Mr X from the West wrote:Mind games. Won't work.
What part of the below qualifies as mind games?

"The fact they haven't lost a game and I think it's the manner in which they've won the games and their percentage (of 211.8) is a true testament to the way they're playing," said Eade of the Saints.

"They're obviously holding teams up - they can't score - and in fact they're scoring heavily themselves."

"I think it's going to be one of those games that's probably going to be a low-scoring game and it's just going to be a real fight all the way," he said.

"Whether tactics come into it too much ... it's no good relying on tactics if you can't win the ball."

"I think the group with the leadership that they are showing are taking a fair bit of responsibility, they have a fair bit of discussion as a group so really as a coach I haven't had to say a lot to them," he said.

"I think they've been able to challenge each other but I think overall they've been able to maintain their belief in themselves and you can see that the way they've trained this week, the way they've attacked everything."

"And I think it's good for us to get back on the horse against a very good team."

Pretty simple, straight down-the-line. No mind games at all.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves, the Dogs are a good team who were far superior to us last year - even if they bowed out at the same stage.

It could very well be low scoring and I wouldn't be surprised if we find it harder to score against them than what we've faced so far.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

sainters man
Club Player

what is eade saying?? he is going to flood the game?

Mr X from the West
Club Player

evertonfc wrote:
Mr X from the West wrote:Mind games. Won't work.
What part of the below qualifies as mind games?

Pretty simple, straight down-the-line. No mind games at all.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves, the Dogs are a good team who were far superior to us last year - even if they bowed out at the same stage.

It could very well be low scoring and I wouldn't be surprised if we find it harder to score against them than what we've faced so far.
Everton - Try the whole lot of it!

Why would it be a low scoring game? Why state that it will be "an enormous challenge" for them?

He is obviously trying to install them as underdogs which belies the reality that they beat us twice (and convincingly) last year.

Mind games.

"Blow out the candle I will burn again tomorrow"
bob__71
Club Player

117 points. I think I will be right this time. We are about to resume the kosi an roo show :)

StSteven
Club Player

Season defining game for both clubs. The Bullies will give this everything. Great test for us.

bob__71
Club Player

StSteven wrote:Season defining game for both clubs. The Bullies will give this everything. Great test for us.
I just hope they fight the game out and dont just give up cause they are loosing like the last three weeks opposition have.

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Port tried the mind games last week as well - If thats all ya got Bullie - Game On!

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

Cant see Eade letting it run like our last few games. Hope I'm wrong but reckon it will be a tight game.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

StSteven wrote:Season defining game for both clubs. The Bullies will give this everything. Great test for us.
Perhaps we will have to suck up their pressure in the opening term and it will be fairly close at quarter time.

They will slow down, ready for us to mow them slowly into the turf in the last 3 terms...

jackal
Club Player

Our approach should be to exploit their questionable skills under pressure and want the ball more. The Blues really showed them up in this regard and for a team that is supposedly skilled and quick were lacking in both departments. No doubt if our skills are on then our pressure will crush these punks. Otherwise like all games of footy ..give them a sniff and they will most likely take their chances. Doubt it though!

Shaggy
Club Player

The dogs are way off where we are currently.

Losing 3 in a row will really highlight it.

Moccha
Saintsational Legend

Everyone thought that last week.

It's one week at a time.

The next game is always the most important

saintly
Saintsational Legend

sainters man wrote:what is eade saying?? he is going to flood the game?
well, he's been saying that it will be low scoring, and scappy. is he assuming that the saints won't be able score big against them, and he must then bleive that one of the teams will flood alot.

aussiejones
Club Player

The way we have been playing I cant see the dogs getting close.

We keep playing with pressure and tackling rather than play a negating game we will out score them.