Are we Teaching other teams how to play?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

james rose
Club Player

Are we Teaching other teams how to play?

I know it sounds ridiculous but when you look at the stats I believe we might be.
Every team we have beaten has come out and won the next week. I just did a more detailed analysis on my site and was wondering if you guys had any thoughts on our boys showing everyone else how it is done?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Are we Teaching other teams how to play?

james rose wrote:I know it sounds ridiculous but when you look at the stats I believe we might be.
Every team we have beaten has come out and won the next week. I just did a more detailed analysis on my site and was wondering if you guys had any thoughts on our boys showing everyone else how it is done?
My thoughts are it is just pure luck that it is happening. The reason being it isnt happening to the Cats this year and if I remember rightly last year sides couldnt win after playing the Cats.

markp
Saintsational Legend

I've had similar thoughts, but I think we may just demonstrate to them the level of intensity required this year.... hopefully because it took us 2 years to learn how to play this way others wont find it easy to emulate quickly.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote:I've had similar thoughts, but I think we may just demonstrate to them the level of intensity required this year.... hopefully because it took us 2 years to learn how to play this way others wont find it easy to emulate quickly.
Why doesnt it happen with the Cats though? Their intensity has been good for two and half years.

james rose
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
markp wrote:I've had similar thoughts, but I think we may just demonstrate to them the level of intensity required this year.... hopefully because it took us 2 years to learn how to play this way others wont find it easy to emulate quickly.
Why doesnt it happen with the Cats though? Their intensity has been good for two and half years.
Maybe they expect it against the Cats? now they know two teams are going to lift they realize they need to as as well?

I find the trend interesting and it is probably pot luck. This week imo will be the first time the team loses after losing to us.

markp
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Who knows... It probably is mostly an anomaly that will come to an end this weekend.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Imagine playing manchester utd one week - getting a footballing lesson, then facing some crap like melbourne victory the next - of course you'd win! :wink:

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

I notice your focus on the tackle count James. Fremantle is an interesting anomaly isn't it?

Ultimately that won't tell you much. St Kilda pride themselves on their tackle count (see the Brendon Goddard article on saints.com.au) and to get a meaningful picture for the other teams you would also need to look at their tackle counts prior to St Kilda.

I think your other idea holds more weight, that the losing team is on the rebound and their next opponent underestimates them. It seems the whole of Victoria can't believe the Saints could possibly be that good, and downgrade whoever loses to them! That attitude might be infecting clubs as well as supporters. But not for much longer methinks.

Anyway, I also think the trend will get broken this week. Both teams are rebounding, and Collingwood seem to have run out of depth.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

james rose wrote:
I was wondering if you guys had any thoughts on our boys showing everyone else how it is done?
If that was so..they would keep winning. They don't bye and large.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Fri 15 May 2009 1:18pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
stinger
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
james rose wrote:
I was wondering if you guys had any thoughts on our boys showing everyone else how it is done?
If that was so..they would keep winning. They don't buy and large.

xl......or xxxl........or simply just l..... :wink: :wink: :wink: :lol: 8-)

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
bob__71
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
james rose wrote:I know it sounds ridiculous but when you look at the stats I believe we might be.
My thoughts are it is just pure luck that it is happening. The reason being it isnt happening to the Cats this year and if I remember rightly last year sides couldnt win after playing the Cats.
Have you done a statistical analysis to back your claim of luck. Or is this like when the AFL says a team is better in Western Sydney than Tasmania.

Incase you havent noticed we are St Kilda, not Geelong, and we play a different brand of football.