Overwhelmed by the big crowd?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Leo.J
SS Life Member

Overwhelmed by the big crowd?

Carlton, including last Friday night, have played in front of 50000+ 5 times already this season.

Where as for the Saints Friday was our first. Even last year finishing forth we only played in front 50000+ 5 times, our 3 finals were 70000+, meaning that only 2 H&A games were 50000+, one of which was against Carlton.

In 2008 the Blues played 7 times in front of 50000+ despite finishing 11th., and in 2007 5 times finishing a lowly 15th..

As for the Pies last year they played in 15 games with 50000+ 14 of these were at the MCG.

My point being is that playing in front of big crowds on the big stage is something that you have to get used to. And how can you get used to it if it never happens. Collingwood and Carlton do it so often that for them playing in front of a big crowd on the MCG is second nature.

For the Saints it's a novelty that IMO we don’t deal with that entire well, and Friday was no exception.

It’s time for Saints fans to come out of the wood work, we have plenty, we need to give our boys a chance to get used to playing in front of big crowds more often.

We can help prepare our boys for september by getting to the games and creating a september like atmosphere

Next year our wish list MUST include more games at the G, with more Block busters...and for now we need to fill the Dome when ever we can.

As mentioned in another post, by going to the footy and making a rackett you can make a difference.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

I didn't think we were overwhelmed at all. Carlton came out throwing everything at us, and we gave it back both barrels. If anything it looked like it fired us up at the start.

Leo.J
SS Life Member

Moods wrote:I didn't think we were overwhelmed at all. Carlton came out throwing everything at us, and we gave it back both barrels. If anything it looked like it fired us up at the start.
I'm not saying that on friday night that the big crowd was a massive factor, but I thought it played a part, because IMO we are a heaps better side than Carlton atm.

I actually think that Carlton handled the big occasion better than we did.

Leo.J
SS Life Member

In other words, we played below our best, and they palyed above their best, and I think that for them being used to the big stage and crowd made a difference.

kaos theory
Club Player

Not an issue. We had about 47k at the pies game, didn't matter much for the result.

This was carlton's biggest game of the yr, and they lifted for it. We are hunted, and teams want to knock us off now, especially the tankers.

Our poor draw this yr (from the point of view of big crowd drawing games) is because last yr our game style was deemed ugly and we were expected to go down the ladder.

Therefore, we got screwed with virtually no mcg games...

Moods
Saintsational Legend

I agree Kaos. Teams are lifting when they play us, b/c they know they have to. Heard Daniel Jackson speaking on the radio b4 and he was saying what a huge game after the break it is to play us. You can't help but respect the cats when you realise what comes with being top dog. We're still winning and that's all that matters I reckon.

IMO the Tiges aren't in the same league as us, and even though they're rejuvinated, I expect us to get back to that top form. I can only see us down in form against the tiges if the players are too distracted by the following game.

Leo.J
SS Life Member

Not an issue? Ok fair enough...I personally would like to be used to playing in front of big crowds come september.

There were a fair few uncharacteristic unforced errors that resulted in goals on friday night. The pressure of a big crowd had nothing to do with that?

That said our stars stood up, these guys are used to that sort of pressure, its our lesser lights that need to keep it together come the finals. If they only get a finals like atmosphere 2 -3 time before the finals you may find they become passengers.

IMO the only way you can get used to that sort of pressure is to experience it.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Most of our team played finals last year in front of big crowds.

However the more "big occassion" games the better.....however I think it is not so much the "crowd" but rather playing against an in-form opponent that is psyched up to play well.

while are 12-0 result is superb....and we may well be 12-0 anyway the fact remains that when we played the Dogs they were not in their current form and the Pies were decimated by injuries. Though both the Dons and Lions were "up".

Apart from the first 10 minutes that is the best I have seen the Blues play for a long-time.

Their younger players are really coming along.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

We certainly werent overwhelmed by the crowd in the first 15 minutes. We played well and Carlton played well. Definitely our best game for at least 5 weeks. Not sure any side can win by 50 points every week especially against a side that was in 4th spot.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Not sure any side can win by 50 points every week especially against a side that was in 4th spot.
Hit.nail.head

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
HarveysDeciple

Exactly...are some people dissapointed with friday night are they?

We whethered several challenges against a quality side in front of a big crowd, played our best footy in 5 weeks and won a ripping contest showing great maturity.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

HarveysDeciple wrote:Exactly...are some people dissapointed with friday night are they?

We whethered several challenges against a quality side in front of a big crowd, played our best footy in 5 weeks and won a ripping contest showing great maturity.

Its funny how people think we didnt play that well friday. I spoke to a few people at my local footy on Saturday who actually cannot stand either side and werent going to watch the whole game but couldnt take their eyes off the contest. They all said the game had everything and was as good as an final.

Leo.J
SS Life Member

HarveysDeciple wrote:Exactly...are some people dissapointed with friday night are they?

I don't rate Carlton as a quality side yet.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Leo.J wrote:

Well maybe you should tell their win loss record they arent a quality side. And of those losses 4 by 12 points or less

Leo.J
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
Leo.J wrote:

Well maybe you should tell their win loss record they arent a quality side. And of those losses 4 by 12 points or less
They are effectively equal 5th with 4 other teams. And they may be 7th at the end of the round.

Maybe I under rate them unjustly, anyway at the moment I still don't think they are as good as most make out, which is what encouraged me to post the above.

If you rate Carton friday was very good.

If you don't it was ok.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Leo.J wrote:[quote

I didn't either Leo - until Friday night. Couldn't see them getting close to us without Waite. The pressure they applied was as good as any team has applied against us for the whole year I reckon. THey had obviously 'set' themselves for us, and in hindsight, I look back and reckon it was a bloody good win. THey had a small advantage of having the home crowd on their side - not that we were without support. Overwhelmed? No. Challenged? Bloody oath.

Leo.J
SS Life Member

Moods wrote:

I didn't either Leo - until Friday night. Couldn't see them getting close to us without Waite. The pressure they applied was as good as any team has applied against us for the whole year I reckon. THey had obviously 'set' themselves for us, and in hindsight, I look back and reckon it was a bloody good win. THey had a small advantage of having the home crowd on their side - not that we were without support. Overwhelmed? No. Challenged? Bloody oath.
Fair enough the consensus appears to dissagree with me, I'm cool with that, but getting back to Carlton for a second

They have an interesting run over the next few rounds.

They have the Bombers,
Freo at Subi
Tigers
Sydney in Sydney
Collingwood
The Roos
The Cats
Port at AAMI
The Dees
Then the Crows in Melbourne.

They still need to win 6 of those to make the finals...

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Leo.J wrote:
Moods wrote:

Fair enough the consensus appears to dissagree with me, I'm cool with that, but getting back to Carlton for a second

They have the Bombers,
Freo at Subi
Tigers
Sydney in Sydney
Collingwood
The Roos
The Cats
Port at AAMI
The Dees

Dont know what your point is but they could easily win 9 of those. It is a pretty soft draw.

Junior
Club Player

Would have thought that most of our players have played in enough finals to not worry about big crowds.

If we were worried about the croud, I doubt that we would have started so well.

Statistically Carlton have are ranked in the topr four, and Riewoldt was saying this at the end of the game.

A side that does not cope with big crowds would have rolled over after Carlton got a run over, we did not.

A champion team will always beat a team of champions.
Leo.J
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
Leo.J wrote:
Moods wrote:

They have the Bombers,
Freo at Subi
Tigers
Sydney in Sydney
Collingwood
The Roos
The Cats
Port at AAMI
The Dees

Dont know what your point is but they could easily win 9 of those. It is a pretty soft draw.
My points is that at the end of round 12 Carlton may be 7th on the ladder. And unless they win 6 of the last 10 they may no even make the finals...as I said I'm not convinced yet.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Leo? How do you think we played in the 15 minutes? I reckon it was the best we had played all year under genuine pressure. And that's saying something b/c we have played really well this year. Our skills and our hands were brilliant. Our tackling and pressure superb, and we just absorbed a 'switched on' blues attack and went bang.

It pleased me b/c I know that our best is as good as anyones. The blues goals in the 1st half were almost all from snaps, some great snaps, which is harder to reproduce every week.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Surely every side apart from the top 3 are nearly in the same boat. You could easily say that draw is very soft and they could finish 4th.

saint75
SS Hall of Fame

Leo.J wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Leo.J wrote:
Moods wrote:

They have the Bombers,
Freo at Subi
Tigers
Sydney in Sydney
Collingwood
The Roos
The Cats
Port at AAMI
The Dees

My points is that at the end of round 12 Carlton may be 7th on the ladder. And unless they win 6 of the last 10 they may no even make the finals...as I said I'm not convinced yet.
+1

Ironic really. How many prelims have we made it to over the last 5-6 years only to be told we are a bunch of pretenders made up of a team of first round draft picks. Carlton supporters were heading that chant. They deserve every bit of crap they get. If you are going to dish it up, be prepared to get it back.

They will be lucky to make the finals (certainly not top 4). I am watching the Adelaide game and hoping they win by 100+ points so that they can jump ahead of Carlton. Also barracking for Essendon for R13. These cocky little s**ts need to be taken down a peg or 2. They are due to be pumped by a big score....... :P

StSteven
Club Player

IMHO the size does not matter! It is the intensity of the occasion and the opposition. Finals and big games need confidence to play your usual style of game. the moment you start worrying about losing the opposition can capitalize on it. I am in no doubt that Geelong lost the confidence in the GF and went down because of that. They were and are a far better side then Hawks.

It shows how hard it is to win a GF and how much luck is involved. An injury to Roo or Gardiner would scare the hell out of me.

hOWEVER how good is Roud 14 going to be when we play a team on even terms as us.

(21 days til we know the answer)

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

StSteven wrote:IMHO the size does not matter!
Can you please speak to my wife.